Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DEFCON Mechanics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question DEFCON Mechanics

Hello!

I'm curious about how DEFCON currently functions and what can I do as a mere medic to help getting that percentage up.

Here is the endgame list of objectives:

• Data Retrieval (disks, folders)
    • Documents: (???)
    • Item Retrieval: (???)
    • Rescue the Survivors
    • Restore Colony Power
    • Restore Colony Communications
    • Recover KIA Marines
    • Minimise Marine Losses
    • Recover Colonist Bodies

DATA
    • Paper Scrap: Tells you where X is, worths no points.
    • Progress Report: Same as above? Does it worth points?
    • Folder: Contains a password for a disk of the same label.
    • Disk: Insert into the computer below ARES, insert password, decrypt, leave it in the computer lab.
    • Anything else that worths points by bringing them to the computer lab?

DOCUMENTS
    • Technical Manuals? What else? Where to put?

ITEM RETRIEVAL
    • "(...) You get the disk and decrypt it and, I think, there's a chance that it reveals that an item of type D in location E with serial number F is important, so someone has to get it and bring it up to Almayer for the full DEFCON points reward. This is going off the fact that in one test a disk was retrieved and decoded, then ARES reported that a "new lead" was discovered, informing the Marines that they needed to locate a health scanner in Big Red's hospital with a specific serial number." (FGRSentinel)

Rest is self-explanatory I believe.
    Last edited by Miraviel; 01-15-2019 at 04:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Y'know I've been thinking about some of the specifics of this mechanic as well. Not sure where everything goes or how to turn it in. As far as a medic is concerned, if retrieving KIA marines means body recovery, it might be worthwhile to use the medevac stretchers to pull bodies out fast if they're not overloaded. If it means getting tags, then that's also a good way to do your part. As a medic, if I see anyone who's braindead or DNR I'll usually snag their tags and try to get it to the memorial.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corocan View Post
    Y'know I've been thinking about some of the specifics of this mechanic as well. Not sure where everything goes or how to turn it in. As far as a medic is concerned, if retrieving KIA marines means body recovery, it might be worthwhile to use the medevac stretchers to pull bodies out fast if they're not overloaded. If it means getting tags, then that's also a good way to do your part. As a medic, if I see anyone who's braindead or DNR I'll usually snag their tags and try to get it to the memorial.
    I started using medevac to retrieve corpses when nobody elses uses medevac as well! As for dogtags, I used to collect them but they take up too much place - I leave it for the doctors, instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miraviel View Post
    I started using medevac to retrieve corpses when nobody elses uses medevac as well! As for dogtags, I used to collect them but they take up too much place - I leave it for the doctors, instead.
    Keep in mind that you can stack dogtags together. You can also store them in your helmet.

Whitelisted Captain FGRSentinel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miraviel View Post
    ITEM RETRIEVAL
    • Advanced mass-spectrometers, perhaps? They are unmeltable on LV.
    You know how there's random items scattered around the planet/station and how a bunch of stuff has a serial number on it? As far as I can tell, it's basically the same as with the paper scraps onwards: you read a paper scrap and it tells you a folder of color X with label Y is in location Z. You collect the folder and search through it, revealing that Disk/Terminal A is in location B and that the decryption code is C. You get the disk and decrypt it and, I think, there's a chance that it reveals that an item of type D in location E with serial number F is important, so someone has to get it and bring it up to Almayer for the full DEFCON points reward. This is going off the fact that in one test a disk was retrieved and decoded, then ARES reported that a "new lead" was discovered, informing the Marines that they needed to locate a health scanner in Big Red's hospital with a specific serial number.
    Retired CO Councilor (Winter 2019-Spring 2020, Winter 2020-Spring 2021)

Goddard Pearsall, the Pilot that (almost) always has Souto

Unofficial source of help for new/inexperienced POs. Message me here or on Discord if you'd like advise on anything.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I think intel gives way too little percentage right now.

You can decrypt almost all the disks you can find on Colony and still only have around 20 percent.

No idea if this is a bug or intentional, but if its intentional, then the update is pretty useless in helping marines.

Remember; every marine doing intel is a marine NOT at the frontlines helping stave off the Mature T3's, so the objective rewards HAVE TO BE WORTH IT. And so far, they are absolutely not worth it. 200 req points and maybe one reinforcement wave is NOT worth pulling an entire squad or two to get intel because then you just got the other 2-3 squads wiped or heavily wounded because of how FAST xenos can ramp up in their power.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnorse View Post
    Keep in mind that you can stack dogtags together. You can also store them in your helmet.
    Oh man, I didn't know that. Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by FGRSentinel View Post
    You know how there's random items scattered around the planet/station and how a bunch of stuff has a serial number on it? As far as I can tell, it's basically the same as with the paper scraps onwards: you read a paper scrap and it tells you a folder of color X with label Y is in location Z. You collect the folder and search through it, revealing that Disk/Terminal A is in location B and that the decryption code is C. You get the disk and decrypt it and, I think, there's a chance that it reveals that an item of type D in location E with serial number F is important, so someone has to get it and bring it up to Almayer for the full DEFCON points reward. This is going off the fact that in one test a disk was retrieved and decoded, then ARES reported that a "new lead" was discovered, informing the Marines that they needed to locate a health scanner in Big Red's hospital with a specific serial number.
    Holy shit, this is eye-opening, thank you very much! I'm curious how much the items themselves worth if the disks give so little (as swagile said too). I assume we can cheat a bit by bringing up items having a serial number on them as running around is very rarely a safe option.

I added it to the opening post!

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also talked with staff via Ahelps when DEFCON was introduced as a test.
    "Minimise Marine Losses" works in a way that marines get about 100 points from the start and they lose them when they receive casualities.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    I also talked with staff via Ahelps when DEFCON was introduced as a test.
    "Minimise Marine Losses" works in a way that marines get about 100 points from the start and they lose them when they receive casualities.
    Are you sure this is the current case? I've seen the DEFCON % go into the negative. This was likely sbecause no intel was gathered and all the marines were dead.

Whitelisted Captain FGRSentinel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the "Minimize Marine Losses" and "Recover KIA Marines" objectives share a point pool or something, so if a Marine dies and their body is returned to Almayer you don't lose any points, but if the body's not recovered or, worse, gibbed, you still lose points from that pool. I could be wrong, though.
    Retired CO Councilor (Winter 2019-Spring 2020, Winter 2020-Spring 2021)

Goddard Pearsall, the Pilot that (almost) always has Souto

Unofficial source of help for new/inexperienced POs. Message me here or on Discord if you'd like advise on anything.