Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Armor Choices

Whitelisted Captain BatHoovyDood's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Armor Choices

Question/Plea from a simple unga here, can heavier armors get a little more viability? I feel like I am begging for death if I use anything besides light armor, because my movement ability is so gimped (especially when rounds get turned into a lag based tbs). I know stuff like heavy armor makes you far less likely to break bones and what not, but good look making the Alamo before takeoff if you wear it. Do y'all just take off your armor when you need to move around?

Send Help.
    - Squad Leader Cassandra 'Boston' Ellis (and overconfident CO)

(Probably already dead)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Changelogs says the following:

"Marine heavy armor will now block lurker and runner pounces, which will instead now only root and screenshake for half the duration of the intended knockdown. This applies to PFC Heavy armor, M3-G4 and B18 heavy armors, as well as several non-marine heavy armor sets."

I dunno exactly HOW it works but to me it seems like a really good buff to heavy bois. If I do get squad marine at some point ill test it against runners/lurkers and post results to you
    SA-M4, The suicidal xeno.
    Rozu 'Nasu' Ishina, Mous enjoyer.
    Clan Leader Va'Stba Ek-Thok, The blue cape cringe.
    Sakura, The anime synth.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This should make heavy armor somewhat better, although it's really only gonna be useful if you unga around in small groups. Heavy armor will still be total shit for the frontline since it doesn't block anything else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last round got Smart gunner, didn't get to try BUT!

I heard someone complain in Looc something about "My armor didn't blocked the pounce wtf!"

Someone else said it has to be frontal pounce or it doesn't block?

Bug? Frontal only? RNG? Dunno but that doesn't sound too good for heavy armor.
    SA-M4, The suicidal xeno.
    Rozu 'Nasu' Ishina, Mous enjoyer.
    Clan Leader Va'Stba Ek-Thok, The blue cape cringe.
    Sakura, The anime synth.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The real killer is still going to be acid and boiler gas, anyway. Heavy armor is really bad against both as it is.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heavy Armor buff works only against bald benos. With better players its only RNG. The way around Heavy Armor is to pounce marine anyway, he gets rooted and gets screen shake (so he won't PB you) and disarm. As said before many times, benos have fairly big chance to one-hit disarm.

All it achieved is that now Lurkers disarm you instead of pouncing, so its indirect buff, because they are no more rooted on the tile they pounced. If they want to be extra safe and take no chances, they slash pounce and they have enough time to escape the range of buckshot stun. As we also all know, benos have big chance to break skull, or hand with one slash even if marine is at 100% HP.

Heavy Armor buff did nearly nothing. Instead of taking feedback like heavy gloves, boot and helmets, someone who nearly never plays CM and never listens to anyone who does came up with that, or to be more precise ressurected old idea when this armor was at first introduced. Now bald benos will cry that Heavy armor is OP, while good beno players will benefit from this marine "buff". Both sides will mostly hate the armor.

I have to admit that its some kind of achivement to buff something, but in reality make it worse.

What is the worst in it? Out of touch people will think its super hiper duper mega buff and will nerf something else, something that will impact everything and then they will pat themselfs on the back and never ever pick heavy armor in those rare occasions they do play CM.

Nerf slugs more if we are at it. Nobody uses them and those masochists who do deserve to rot in hell and suffer. Its a great idea. I died to slugs, please nerf.
    Last edited by CABAL; 03-27-2020 at 02:05 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    Heavy Armor buff works only against bald benos. With better players its only RNG. The way around Heavy Armor is to pounce marine anyway, he gets rooted and gets screen shake (so he won't PB you) and disarm. As said before many times, benos have fairly big chance to one-hit disarm.

All it achieved is that now Lurkers disarm you instead of pouncing, so its indirect buff, because they are no more rooted on the tile they pounced. If they want to be extra safe and take no chances, they slash pounce and they have enough time to escape the range of buckshot stun. As we also all know, benos have big chance to break skull, or hand with one slash even if marine is at 100% HP.

Heavy Armor buff did nearly nothing. Instead of taking feedback like heavy gloves, boot and helmets, someone who nearly never plays CM and never listens to anyone who does came up with that, or to be more precise ressurected old idea when this armor was at first introduced. Now bald benos will cry that Heavy armor is OP, while good beno players will benefit from this marine "buff". Both sides will mostly hate the armor.

I have to admit that its some kind of achivement to buff something, but in reality make it worse.

What is the worst in it? Out of touch people will think its super hiper duper mega buff and will nerf something else, something that will impact everything and then they will pat themselfs on the back and never ever pick heavy armor in those rare occasions they do play CM.

Nerf slugs more if we are at it. Nobody uses them and those masochists who do deserve to rot in hell and suffer. Its a great idea. I died to slugs, please nerf.
    Can't wait for CM to go open source in a week and dig through the stats to prove you so very very wrong. When you can watch recent rounds and see an Ancient Ravager and Ancient Empress take +10 slashes to kill one marine, it's gonna be hilarious pitiful to see damage, hp, stun chances, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having seen this happen I will also concur with you Rocco.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pre buff, I tailor my armour type depending on the map. Light/Medium for LV, Solaris, Trijent, CORSAT and Soro. Heavy armour for Prison, Ice and the Almayer siege. Reasoning being for the larger, more open maps, it pays to be able to juke xenos, especially with my play style where I either run off solo or with 2-3 marines. Staying in a large group is just a death trap and the constant FF is a pain, hence Light/Medium. If I have to stick with a group, I’m more often on the outskirts so I can be able to chase things down.

As for the other maps, you’re often confined to very narrow hallways and with how risk averse the newer marines tend to be, it falls to the cockier players to lead charges and scare xenos away. There’s only one way forward with 2-3 xenos AT MOST being able to slash you at once assuming you haven’t been tackled. Also many marines don’t notice there’s often a marine or two in between them and the ravager charging down the corridor, so limiting the FF potential done to you is more important than the ability to juke lunges/grabs/pounces/spits.

Of course this all depends on my mood and the weapon loadout I’m going for too, though for most cases that’s the reasoning behind the different armour. It’ll be interesting to see if the pounce buff would encourage more players to use heavy armour and if that’ll successfully offset the manoeuvrability penalties.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Isolatar View Post
    Of course this all depends on my mood and the weapon loadout I’m going for too, though for most cases that’s the reasoning behind the different armour. It’ll be interesting to see if the pounce buff would encourage more players to use heavy armour and if that’ll successfully offset the manoeuvrability penalties.
    No, it won't and I explained why not in post above. Anti-pounce "buffs" nearly nothing besides giving you slighty better RNG chance during 1vs1 with Lurker, or Runner. In scenario where you are in group, it works against you. And thats because normal pounce roots beno on the same tile you are stunned, so marines behind you can fairly safe shoot said beno. With heavy armor "buff" you are still left standing and rooted to the ground with screen shake that doesn't allow any PB attempts and beno is not rooted. It can pounce at you, slash your head, break it (RNG) and then escape. At this point you would be better off wearing light/medium where you would be left on the ground, but beno would have either no chance to do you any damage, or would slash you, but would be itself atleast wounded, if not killed if somebody with buckshot menaged to run up to you and PB beno before its root ends.

This buff does the opposite that I presume it was intended. Overall RNG buffing Heavy Armor in 1vs1 against two castes, but also RNG nerfing it if said beno lands lucky disarm, where it can immediately grab you, drag you away and slash.

So no, it won't make more people use it regulary. It will make few people test it out and throw each and every heavy armor in surpluss vendor to disposals. It will most likely make me not use it. Me, Heavy Armor main who uses it fanaticaly despite its many drawbacks.

I can't belive it, its like somebody is watching what I'm doing. Slug main? NERF! Heavy Armor main? Hehe... "Buff" that is a NERF! Looks like its time to nerf breathing mask and ballistic goggles, because I'm using it too.
    Last edited by CABAL; 03-28-2020 at 11:54 AM.