User Tag List

View Poll Results: Names of opposing side's units, what would be best?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep it as it is: PFC Dick Johnson, Elder Drone XX-222

15 38.46%
  • Not Unique: PFC Tallhost, Elder Drone

5 12.82%
  • No Rank: Soldier/Civillian Tallhost, Drone

13 33.33%
  • Full Obfuscation: Tallhost, Xenomorph

6 15.38%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hiding/generalizing names of enemy units?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hiding/generalizing names of enemy units?

I've been wondering about an idea, but as with any idea, one viewpoint on it is not enough, so how about you guys tell me everything that is or could be wrong with it.

Do you think it would be a good idea to obfuscate enemy unit names? PFC Dick Johnson would be just "PFC" or "human", Elder Drone XX-222 would be either "Elder Drone", "Drone" or just "Xenomorph".
    You could still see your proper names as long as you are on the same team, xenos would recognize other xenos, humans other humans. Predators are outside of this because they already are mostly known as Unknown because of masks.

On one hand, it would definitely do away with meta targeting. On the other, I have no idea what sort of issues it could cause, so here's where you tell me.
    Last edited by xenofood; 04-01-2020 at 11:59 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is actually a good idea. As a lurker, I will inspect the names of who is who and if I see a robusto with a group, I will avoid him. The thing is, most of them dress the same every round, for example I always who Kai is because of his Afro and brown skin. It will remove most of the metagaming, but it will still be there... lurking in the dark...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its apparently impossible in SS13. Wait till SS14 shift (since monkey dev left and might not come back from banana hunt, this is most likely severly delayed).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ladwhy View Post
    The thing is, most of them dress the same every round, for example I always who Kai is because of his Afro and brown skin.
    I have no problem with that. If a player can recognize a marine and his armor/weapon just by what the sprite looks like, that's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by reuben owen View Post
    posting the relevant gitlab
    And here I thought I was original. Shame that it got denied, but it's a very good point that opposing side players would then be unable to report abuse and that would lead to a shitload of problems. One possible workaround is to have a context menu option to report a player when you right-click on their sprite, but that's clunky, slow, and you'd have to do it quickly before the player disappears and you never figure out which one in the cluster of other marines he was.

Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    Its apparently impossible in SS13. Wait till SS14 shift (since monkey dev left and might not come back from banana hunt, this is most likely severly delayed).
    Huh, I wouldn't have guessed that it'd be impossible. Anyway, as my previous reply points out, I'm now realizing that this particular change would most likely create more problems that it would fix. And whether there even are problems that needs fixing to begin with is a BIG maybe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is impossible, apparently, according to the devs.
    Waiting for lagless CM
    Manuel Conrad - Human
    Alexander Keys - Human (Command)
    SA-D5 - Xenomorph
    Har'Kittak - Yautja
    Thomas - Synthetic

I'm awesome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goon did something like this for repair drones you can become after you die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wear a gas mask and a generic dog tag. Boom, problem solved.

Manager Emeritus & System Administrator
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately this has been discussed before, and while not impossible, the methods required to do it would be absolutely devastating on performance and general functionality.

I think we'd love to see it if it could be done, but barring an update to BYOND itself that adds functionality, I wouldn't expect to see it.
    TrialModerator from 12/15/2018 to 12/29/2018
    Moderator from 12/29/2018 to 6/29/2019
    TrialAdmin from 6/29/2019 to 7/29/2019
    Admin from 7/29/2019 to 6/17/2021
    Manager from 6/17/2021 to ???
    ManagerEmeritus from ??? to ???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimreaperx15 View Post
    Unfortunately this has been discussed before, and while not impossible, the methods required to do it would be absolutely devastating on performance and general functionality.

I think we'd love to see it if it could be done, but barring an update to BYOND itself that adds functionality, I wouldn't expect to see it.
    In engineering and programming there is a big principle known as KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) which is to emphasis to NOT to create complicated solutions. In this case, rather than messing around with code/BYOND/etc. all you need to do is add a "generic" no-name dog tag that maybe a marine can purchase roundstart. Then all they need to do is equip a gas mask. To implement this it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.
    Last edited by Rocco Ward; 04-17-2020 at 11:58 AM.