Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BatHoovyDood - Commander Application

Commander Whitelist Application
    Byond ID?
    BatHoovyDood

Player Name You Use Most?
    Charles ‘Boston’ Ellis

Make a list of links to all of your applications and (job)ban appeals, including whitelist and staff apps, within the last year. Also, provide "Ban reason; Verdict" beside each (job)ban link
    //showthrea...t=bathoovydood Leaving the game as larva before talking to an admin; Approved

Have you received any ban within the last month? How long was it and what for?
    Negativo mi amigo

Do you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

How do you view the tool of Battlefield Execution to be used? What circumstances do you think it would be necessary to BE a member of the crew? Where do you think the Battlefield Execution Mechanic Differs from regular Execution and why?
    To me, the Battlefield Execution is a way to quickly get rid of a marine or crew member who poses an overwhelming threat to command, personnel, or the operation. However, I think that in most of these cases it is better to use standard execution procedure. While BE-ing someone is a quick solution that allows you to get back to work, it is also permanently removing someone from the round without giving them a chance to at least roleplay it out, and as such I have some distaste for it. Where the BE is a quick game ending option, full executions offer a lot more benefits to me.

1) They allow for a more noticeable and widely acknowledged execution, which can be important in situations where one out of a large group of dissenters are being executed.

2) It gives something for MP’s to rally around, as they often have little to do shipside when a bug isn't loose and Delta isn’t trying to overthrow command.

3) It gives a chance for the person getting executed to roleplay a bit, maybe get some rousing last words off, and is all around more engaging for everyone involved.

Generally, I would only feeling comfortable BE-ing someone If the offending party is a lethal threat to me or another member of the ship's crew, and no MP’s are available or close enough to assist, and I had no non-lethal tools on me. I know this standard will have its exceptions, but 9 times out of time I would rather go for a standard execution.

How will your Commanding Officer run his/her ship? Provide a detailed explanation on how he would handle situations that might commonly occur such as, a insubordinate Req, Engineering, MP, or Command Staff
    Ellis tries to keep track of the whole operation at once, and remain up to date on what is happening in every single squad and piece of shipside crew. However, he trusts in his team to be able to handle their departments and squad’s properly. Most of the time the SOs can handle themselves and speaking from experience don’t appreciate getting shoved just so the Cap can stare at a camera for a few minutes. Most of the time he is happy to leave the minuta to the crew, but when the situation gets dire he takes a hands on approach, and if there is a serious situation shipside he would rather set the XO to work and go figure it out himself.

For the situation examples:

Insub Req: It generally depends on the severity of the situation, of one CT is refusing to give out attachments or something, I trust that the RO can take care of it, and I will also likely dispatch an MP or two to take care of it, whereupon the CMP can figure out what is happening. However, if the RO just came from watching one of Sseth’s videos and is trying to establish cargonia, Ellis would gather up the MPs to secure the area himself, and then get his XO to take over req if no-one else can. Req not being online for a short time is survivable, but then being out of action permanently is death for an operation, so Ellis wouldn’t have a high degree of sympathy for the RO in this situation.

Insub Engie: As long as the power is maintained, Ellis is fine to let the CE and their team to do whatever they want as long as it isn’t hurting the operation or breaking the law. However, if they are actively sabotaging the operation, there is more than enough staff with some engineering knowledge, and the department vastly overestimates their necessity. This would still probably only warrant sending over an MP or two to secure the situation and clear out the offenders.

Insub MP: Assuming there is a competent CMP on board, I would treat this as if it were a Doctor ignoring their duty. Leave it to the department head to sort out. (And generally an insub MP is more of a sign of a new player than an antagonistic one, so getting the SEA might be better than just demoting and/or brig-ing them)

Insub Command Staff: First let me say I am assuming this is referring to SOs and XOs. I know that the rules (IC and OOC) tend to allow the XO leeway here, and not so much for SOs, but I would generally try to hear them out first. Most people playing command roles are experienced enough to be playing the role, so if they have a valid reason for not following an order I would want to hear it before making a decision. However, if they are absolutely refusing to do their job I would have no qualms about getting an MP to CIC and having an SO pull double duty.

What do you think is the job of a Commander?
    I don’t mean to rip off Roman’s opening so much, but there really are two answers to this, the IC reason and the OOC reason.

In character it's the Commander’s job to make sure the operation is running as smoothly as possible on all fronts. I.e. making sure that marines are following orders, supplies are getting to where they need to go, and the staff are doing their jobs to the best of their ability. It is also their job to inspire the marine’s to do their best, this could mean joke incentives like “the best squad gets the crayola box with the sharpener after the operation” or heading down there themselves to lead the fight with their presence. Something that I have been trying recently is to talk incredibly over-confidently when hyping up marines, and I have found that it can help inspire marines to go the distance where they wouldn’t normally.

Out of character it’s the Commander’s job to make the round interesting and engaging for as many people as possible. This doesn’t mean making sure every single person is having 100% of the fun they could be having, but in general keep everything that people need to play their roles operational.

As a player what do you think could be added for Commanding Officer to benefit the role?
    Just a few ideas, most of which I am certain have been brought up in applications before mine but would pain me to leave out of my own.

1) A smaller version of overwatch for the tablet, maybe just for the Squad Leaders to get a quick view on the situation planetside without needing to shove one of the SOs.

2) More unique cosmetic stuff, even if just in the uniform vendor in the CO’s office. Stuff like the Sword is great and I would love to see more unique things that can be worn without breaking the SOP.

3) An identification modifier for the tablet, would need to be only functional with the CO’s id so that it won’t get abused if stolen.

4) Even more powerful group commands or a greater variety of unique command buffs. As it stands the mechanical difference between the CO or the XO leading the troops is basically non-existent.

Again, if even one of these is entirely original I would be surprised, but they are what comes to mind for me.

What do you think you could contribute by being whitelisted?
    Besides another dumb fool who thought it would be a good idea to play captain?

I could contribute some more personality to Command in the games I'm in. A lot of rounds I have played lately Command has been quite one note, with your generic “squads go here ok deploy” briefing. As I mentioned before I have been trying a new style where I add a lot of bravado and self hyping in my briefings and orders (a-la say Cato Sicarius, although closer to TTS then real lore) which I think could be a lot greater in the full Captain role. There is only so much I can do with it as XO.

Your story (potential topics listed below)
    I have chosen a short story for this section.

All things considered, Ellis had rather enjoyed his time in the Marines. If you could look past almost getting shot or stabbed every other operation, it really had a lot going for it. It certainly paid better than what he did before joining up. Well, it paid something at least.

He enlisted out of college at the age of 22, finding that the market for history majors in the 22nd century was rather limited. Not having the finances to pay for his first degree, much less something that might get him an actual job, he figured his best odds were to get as far away from home as possible.

On his third operation with the USCM in 2170, he was part of the Alpha Squadron aboard the USS Iowa, sent to investigate a possible UPP presence in the sector. So far they had checked four planets, and each one had proven to be absent of any hostile presence, but on planet five their luck ran out.

Within an hour of the first drop, the majority of the command structure of the squad was either dead or so far out of commission that they could barely move, much less fight. Sensing an opportunity for a quick promotion, Ellis took control of the squad to attempt to salvage the situation. Despite the losses and danger, Ellis found he had a knack for command, and decided to leave his enlisted life behind and entered the Phobos Military Academy, praying it was far enough from Earth that no-one could look much into his university records.

After a few delays he’d rather never speak about, and a couple more he’d love to if you got him drunk, Ellis graduated from the Academy and became a Lieutenant in the 7th Battalion. After ten years of enjoying the perks of making money and not getting shot, mostly anyways, he found himself missing the action of his early days in the Marines. When an opening came up for a commander in the tightly funded, rag-tag 2nd Battalion, Ellis took the promotion (and the pay-cut), now second in command of his ship.

Finding the path of higher titles and lower pay to be a promising one, Ellis kept his eye out for the highest title he had any wish to achieve, to be captain of his own ship. When the Captain of the U.S.S. Almayer came to an unfortunate end after an incident that no-one was quite sure on, but seemed focused on spending all of his budget on a feast in his office, Ellis saw his shot and took it. With a combination of confidence, luck, and exaggerating his success whenever he could, he had made it. Sure he made more as a Lieutenant in a funded part of the Marines, but those guys didn’t have any fun, and they sure as hell didn’t get the gun.

Do you understand that you cannot advertise your application on any public platform for votes. Do you also understand you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gonna cast my vote early because I know and I'm already aware of your capabilities especially I helped to review your app before posting it here.

I've seen him in a lot of roles and, while his SO and XO are good, it's his SL that convinces me he'd be a good CO. A lot of COs lose sight of ground-level realities when making plans: expecting newer SLs to be able to pull off flanks like SL mains, telling people to charge down the ladders on ice and not predicting 100% insubordination rates, or putting delta on FOB and expecting them to not revolt. I don't think Charles would make those mistakes, especially since I've seen him help newer PFC’s and Engineers with barricade layouts and actually manage to wrangle alpha into a cohesive force.

For personal, I've had you as either a fellow Squaddie, or SO numerous times and I'd say not only have you proven yourself as a great RPer, but someone who is trustworthy with higher Command roles. Only Gripe I'd have is I'd like to see you XO a bit more and more or you just main XO or SO for the meantime because I’m not the only one voting here or wants to see you how you would really do well in rolling Command Roles but the others as well especially the CO Council. Not only do you have good Reputation, good RP as well as a sense for commanding, the Application is thought out as well and alone, I'd say it proves to me that you're worthy of being Captain.

Overall, Your RP abilities are extremely good and I can trust that you wouldn't abuse BEs or ruin rounds on purpose because it amuses you. On top of that, this is a very well-done app with excellent answers and a short good story.

Easy +1

Good luck! *salute
    Last edited by Enyonggg; 04-08-2020 at 04:17 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello BatHoovyDood thank you for applying for CO, I have just a few questions I would like you to answer before I place my vote. Please expand in some detail.

1. you wake up at round start and hear the Alpha SL saying “fuck command, fuck briefing, everyone listen to me. The MP’s are busy stopping other briefing shenanigans. The SL then prompts his squad to leave briefing, people are following. What do you do?

2. You have very little DEFCON points left, the PO and RO are fighting over who deserves them most, the RO says “we need req points for materials at the FOB” while the PO argues that he is out of CAS supplies and is getting good hits for the offensive. It’s up too you to decide, what do you do?
    Mentor 1st Mar, 2020 - 11th Apr, 2020
    Trial Moderator 11th Apr, 2020 - 23rd Apr, 2020
    Moderator 23rd Apr, 2020 - 31st Aug, 2020
    Senior Moderator 31st Aug, 2020 - 8th Oct, 2020
    Trial Administrator 8th Oct, 2020 - 6th Nov, 2020
    Administrator 6th Nov, 2020 - 21st Feb, 2021
    Moderator Manager 21st Feb, 2021 - 11th Jul, 2021
    Administrator Manager 11th Jul, 2021 - 8th Aug, 2021

Administrator 12th Oct, 2022 - Present

Whitelisted Captain BatHoovyDood's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So for the Alpha SL situation, speed in resolving the situation is my first priority. As someone who has been in command roles in situations like this (and if you read my ban appeal I have a note for doing something similar as Alpha SL, not my proudest moment), I have seen firsthand how quickly an SL bailing can pull their squad away, and how damaging it can be to an operation. I would first set the Spec as aSL, so that the marines can't rally on the SL as easily. If the spec is also with him then I will work my way until I find a squad member still in briefing. Sometimes just this silencing is enough, even just because marines pay less attention to small names over big names. If they continue trying to avoid dropping, I would grab an MP from briefing and go to arrest the Staff Sergeant for NoD, and order the marines back to briefing. In this situation, the person playing as the SL no longer has interest in playing within the rules of the game or their role, and any pretense of an IC reason is usually just an excuse for them to fuck around, so separating and minimizing that influence is usually the best thing to do while waiting for an OOC solution.

For the DEFCON issue, first I want to say I am answering under the assumption that both the PO and the RO have been doing their jobs well, and will benefit the operation as a whole with their points. If every CAS has actually been hitting friendlies or the RO spent all of their points on random garbage, then I would obviously pick whichever is doing their actual job, and then move to deal with the other one. However, if they both actually really needed the points, I would give it to the PO, and then give clearance to the RO to start disassembling the ship, and give them access to squad prep rooms to gather ammo. The supplies the PO needs can only be acquired with DEFCON points, whereas 90% of what the FOB needs can be found already on the ship.
    - Squad Leader Cassandra 'Boston' Ellis (and overconfident CO)

(Probably already dead)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked your answers, but for the first one it could warrant a BE as the SL is trying to upsurp your command and commit sedition. Silencing then doesn’t always work.

As for the PO/RO question I would first look at how the OP itself is doing. If it were offensive or defensive, number of Xenos, etc. But it is true that the RO could disassemble around the ship, and that CAS points regenerate back over time.

All this being said I can support this app, please continue to roll XO for the time being.

+1
    Mentor 1st Mar, 2020 - 11th Apr, 2020
    Trial Moderator 11th Apr, 2020 - 23rd Apr, 2020
    Moderator 23rd Apr, 2020 - 31st Aug, 2020
    Senior Moderator 31st Aug, 2020 - 8th Oct, 2020
    Trial Administrator 8th Oct, 2020 - 6th Nov, 2020
    Administrator 6th Nov, 2020 - 21st Feb, 2021
    Moderator Manager 21st Feb, 2021 - 11th Jul, 2021
    Administrator Manager 11th Jul, 2021 - 8th Aug, 2021

Administrator 12th Oct, 2022 - Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your quick response, and as to why I wouldn't want to go for the BE. First I think an actual execution can have more impact, and secondly I would ideally want to keep them in game long enough for an Admin to come talk to them, and killing them might lead to them immediately leaving. However, in this case it definitely would fit within my standards for an acceptable BE situation, and if I saw it as a significant enough threat then absolutley.

(Probably already dead)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen you in several roles, including those of SL, SO and XO. You are a good player of the community and I have also known you for a while now.
    Your roleplay and general tactics during Command are exceptional. I had you as my XO and you know how to relay information to the squads, announce and organize offensives.
    I believe you will do well as a Captain, keep rolling XO so we can see more of you.
    I also wish you best of luck with your application.
    +1
    Last edited by Axyinious; 04-08-2020 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Typo
    I play as Viktor 'Beer' Kleiner, Matthaus and as Var'dqi Bo'ytill

LT COL. VIKTOR KLEINER, USS LOWË'S COMMANDING OFFICER

PROVISIONAL COMMAND OVER THE USS ALMAYER

Ex-CO Councillor. If you have any questions regarding the whitelist, feel free to DM me.
    Discord is Axyinious#3635

The Neverplayer Commodore
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right I have noticed some points where you can improve:

First, try not to say "Cringe" and similar words. Im not sure if that is LRP, but nevertheless, you will be a Captain, and saying that quite often is not something a Captain would say.

Also, if the CO is deployed, you should not be leaving the CIC unless REALLY REALLY REALLY necessary. If the CO leaves you in command and a problem arises in the Almayer, you have your MP staff or CIC staff to solve that problem problem for you. You do not want to stay out of the CIC for long as, without noticing, you are blinding the CO and the SLs on the ground if you are short on staff. Leave the CIC only in EXTREME Circunstances where your presence is needed elsewhere and it is imperative you attend that commitment.

As for your general gameplay, you do know how to command, I would just like to see how you did with those 2 points fixed.

That will be all

I will vote next week. Try to improve the stuff I recommended.
    Captain Morgan Young

Charlie Squad Medic main and the worst nade Thrower you Will ever see.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to say thanks for responding to my app, and I will say that if you are referring to the recent round with me and Vik as XO and CO that I thought the use of the word cringe was pretty clearly an in-character joke, but I am definitely still working on separating my Marine vocabulary and my Command vocabulary, so thanks for letting me know here.

(Probably already dead)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always been a great XO when he was on under me. Never seen many issues from the ground either, when I've had him.

Could improve a bit RP-wise, but he is a pretty good command player overall. I shall leave you my +1