User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do y'all think about the larvae pool?

Senior Admin & Whitelist Overseer Fortelian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question What do y'all think about the larvae pool?

It seems kinda powerful. Normally it seems, most maps don't lean too far to either side, but with the ability to get a free larva from a pool of acid (lore check) now maps with more bodies will be picked by xeno mains and the xenos will flatten marines every round.

This is just speculation, and I have not seen every side of the spectrum, so I want you're opinions on the new larvae pool to further my knowledge, because yes, even with this, marines can still flatten aliens.
    Salvador Kepplinger - President of Andorra
    LOV3 - The friendly Bean.
    Senior mentor

Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had 2 LV rounds where marines are going hard and next thing you know there's 43 xenos. In the next LV round there was 60 as marines entered the hive. The game devolves into who can turtle the most, you can't do any unique actions. I remember reading that Moba was designed to prevent long, drawn out, defensive rounds. I find this very ironic.

Whitelisted Captain/Retired WL Maintainer Snooper44's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does not work at all on LOWPOP, it ends up being 60 xenos vs 40 initial deployed marines. Unless the queen dies because she is really stupid it is always a marine loss. It however works on HIGHPOP allowing for xenos to be more risky and shake off initial marine horde losses.

Commodore Greg Lauffer

Whitelist Maintainer

January 1st 2021 - June 28th 2021

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The corpses already on the map that are chestburst need to have one of several things done to them:

Remove the chestburst part of them, so they cannot be used in the spawning pool
    Add a tag to them that they cannot be used in the spawning pool
    Just remove them entirely

As it stands, the game is currently unplayable if the xenos choose to turtle up, as they have the incredibly boring and overpowered chokepoint boiler tactic, as well as an effectively unlimited number of respawns.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just L View Post
    As it stands, the game is currently unplayable if the xenos choose to turtle up, as they have the incredibly boring and overpowered chokepoint boiler tactic, as well as an effectively unlimited number of respawns.
    If the xenos turtle up and it becomes a stalemate until their numbers grow large enough to murderball, that's when we should be doing our best to barricade and contain the hive, cut off and guard their frontlines to prevent or at least delay a push, have 3/4 squads man the barricades if that's what it takes, and get that DEFCON to 1 and nuke the place before it's too late. People often tend to forget that there's more ways to win than just one side kills another. Personally, I much prefer rounds that end in a nuke.

Marines have all they need to counter xenos. We have a tank, we got fatties at DEFCON 2 if need be, we got a nuke if shit goes unwinnable, we get more troops taken out of cryo, we can do barricades, put down sentries, with enough supplies and being careful not to die, we can hold them off long enough to get that sweet nuke. All we need to do is collectively stop focusing on killing all xenos manually as being the only "win" condition and have some god damn competent IOs.

Also, does the amount of pooled larva really matter? The only time xenos get more sisters, is when a marine permadies and joins the other side. If a xeno dies and respawns, then the number isn't really changing AND their new xeno is a weak young T1.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xenofood View Post
    If the xenos turtle up and it becomes a stalemate until their numbers grow large enough to murderball, that's when we should be doing our best to barricade and contain the hive, cut off and guard their frontlines to prevent or at least delay a push, have 3/4 squads man the barricades if that's what it takes, and get that DEFCON to 1 and nuke the place before it's too late. People often tend to forget that there's more ways to win than just one side kills another. Personally, I much prefer rounds that end in a nuke.

Marines have all they need to counter xenos. We have a tank, we got fatties at DEFCON 2 if need be, we got a nuke if shit goes unwinnable, we get more troops taken out of cryo, we can do barricades, put down sentries, with enough supplies and being careful not to die, we can hold them off long enough to get that sweet nuke. All we need to do is collectively stop focusing on killing all xenos manually as being the only "win" condition and have some god damn competent IOs.

Also, does the amount of pooled larva really matter? The only time xenos get more sisters, is when a marine permadies and joins the other side. If a xeno dies and respawns, then the number isn't really changing AND their new xeno is a weak young T1.
    I disagree, xenos regularly are reaching 40 to 60 active xenos. Pooled larva are also effectively respawns for the robust xeno players as well, and you do not need to get to T3 to have a serious impact as a xeno - a warrior is exceptionally powerful no matter what, as are lurkers. Manning the barricades also does not work, the xenos can just go around the barricades on a decent number of maps and go kill the IOs. If the IOs are dead, which is extremely easy to do by just sending a lurker after them, you aren't gonna get DEFCON 1 no matter what.

IOs should not be what the match hinges on regardless. They're three people on a server that regularly is 130 to 200 players strong.

Getting DEFCON 1 without collecting xeno corpses is nearly impossible on most maps, as the intel is spread out throughout the map, not just where the marines can build their defenses. Especially on maps like Ice, Sorokyne, or CORSAT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just L View Post
    I disagree, xenos regularly are reaching 40 to 60 active xenos. Pooled larva are also effectively respawns for the robust xeno players as well, and you do not need to get to T3 to have a serious impact as a xeno - a warrior is exceptionally powerful no matter what, as are lurkers. Manning the barricades also does not work, the xenos can just go around the barricades on a decent number of maps and go kill the IOs. If the IOs are dead, which is extremely easy to do by just sending a lurker after them, you aren't gonna get DEFCON 1 no matter what.

IOs should not be what the match hinges on regardless. They're three people on a server that regularly is 130 to 200 players strong.

Getting DEFCON 1 without collecting xeno corpses is nearly impossible on most maps, as the intel is spread out throughout the map, not just where the marines can build their defenses. Especially on maps like Ice, Sorokyne, or CORSAT.
    A fair point, that's why IOs need babysitters. Maybe my view is a bit skewed, because in the past week or so, around 10 rounds total, almost every round I was in was a marine win, at least three ending in a nuke. I suppose it matters more about what players are currently playing, rather than the game mechanics themselves.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's very based and redpilled

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take note aliens used to get 15-25 monkies and with pool with all player burst corpses(15-25) and corpses around the map the aliens might get 10-40 extra larva

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems to give aliens more to do in the early game, albeit very repetitive and boring, but this was the case previously for many castes that simply stayed in the nest instead of played find the fur host. As capturing marines seems to be slightly harder it does make up the number difference and give aliens an early game population edge, but this doesn't seem well balanced; in low population games it kills the marine side while in high population it often doesn't make much difference if the alien side is 40 compared to 50 strong. By this I mean the additional numbers over start to have less effect, since they get in the way of each other, more die to artillery, more go SSD or larva sit there without a player, they are bad and keep dying young, etc.

It could use some tweaking. Perhaps a set amount of aliens spawn from bodies on all maps and the rest spawn from the ground. Maps would need to be adjusted so there are less bodies. And finally, and most importantly, more larva spawns with bodies at round start if there is a higher population; e.g. 20 in bodies and the rest from the ground for 100 on the server, 25 for 101-140, 30 for 141-180, etc. Numbers could be tweaked of course, just an example.