Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Experimental Modular Plate Carrier Suit

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Experimental Modular Plate Carrier Suit

I had an idea for a robust, modular suit orderable via a kit in cargo that would take the light/medium/heavy armor system to its logical conclusion

the armor, when put up, covers the entire body minus the head, in the chest, there are five armor slots which start out empty, and in the kit that comes with it, are five suit pouches and five armor plates. The idea is to mix and match up your favorite combination of storage, protection, and agility. With no pouches or plates equipped, the suit would be roughly as agile as light armor, with pouches taking up some space and a medium amount of weight, with armor plating taking up a slot and a lot of weight

The user could customize their ideal suit on the fly to meet the current threat, without risking the integrity of the suit itself. Additions could include armor aimed at specific kinds of threats, and cooling modules to help recover stamina

Let me know what you think, im not a coder, or a spriter in any way, but i think this'd be a pretty neat and simple thing we could get if we had a nice sprite for it.
    Maybe additionally add a pocket pouch that could carry a couple of suit storage pockets or armor plates for on the go swapping.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of work, but a cool idea. Would there be a set amount or would these replace normal armour?

If a set amount then surely adding options for mounting weapons makes sense, like a free grenade launcher attachment which takes up a slot, etc. If it replaced armour for all marines then it's probably unnecessarily complicated compared to a choice of three armours or none.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kooarbiter View Post
    The user could customize their ideal suit on the fly to meet the current threat, without risking the integrity of the suit itself. Additions could include armor aimed at specific kinds of threats, and cooling modules to help recover stamina.
    If there’s a cooling packet option, you know there will be marines who load up on max cooling and then inject themselves with an almost OD dose of cryox & clonex.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the idea. Just need to be careful with what you hand out.
    Last edited by Moosetasm; 04-13-2020 at 12:39 PM.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    okay then, no excess storage or armor, max speed, but if they fail once they get krumped

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking more along the lines of... you have 2 adjustable slots out of four. Kinda like how pistol belts only hold one pistol, but multiple ammo clips.

Base stats are like light armor, except with four inventory instead of 2. (It has to be special ordered, I think the extra 2 slots aren’t going to cause balance issues).

Then you have two hip pouches pouches to carry mods. Each pouch could carry dedicated to 2-4 of the upgrades:
    One armor slot = medium armor protection & speed debuff
    Two armor slots = heavy armor protection & speed debuff
    One med slot = button at top of screen that injects you with BIKO, or something
    Two med slots = either more doses, or something like hyperzine, or auto-stabilizer (QC + Ina + Peri)
    One environmental slot = negates ambient temperatures
    Two environment slots = negates all temperature effects (but not burn damage from fire or walking through fire - also not that cryox and clonex would not work on you with this on)

I dunno, that’s just me spitballing. Like I said, I think the idea is a good one, and would make armor customization a thing, so that everyone can tinker with their gear even more if they get the kit. And there’s obviously more ideas out there than what I listed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosetasm View Post
    you know there will be marines who load up on max cooling and then inject themselves with an almost OD dose of cryox & clonex.
    Just saying, you can't actually OD on cryoxadone
    Supposedly I'm a "senior mentor"

Community mentor 10/5/2019 - present

Spoiler Spoiler:

Senior Admin & Whitelist Overseer Fortelian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds fancy. I guess as long as it isn't too powerful and has some downsides so it isn't just a straight up marine buff, it could be pretty cool. I ain't a coder or spriter though, but uh. It seems cool. Give it to IOs maybe.
    Salvador Kepplinger - President of Andorra
    LOV3 - The friendly Bean.
    Senior mentor

Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would probably lag the game alot
    Bert 'SOAB' Beach CARGONIA
    Henrik & Leeroy SYNTHETIC
    Rau'ta H'chak YAUTJA

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

"Honestly, how can you hire this cunt? You must be really fucked up to hire someone like him."

sexy avatar by Manezinho

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a really interesting idea, but I remember someone asking for a similar system in the most recent dev Q and A townhall, and they responded by saying they liked the idea, but It would be a massive performance hit for something so small. Still a good idea, but BYOND has blocked us from progress once again.
    Rain 'Hail' Atkinson (Human Roles): Slayer of Xenos and babysitter of PFCs
    Medals
    Spoiler Spoiler:

NV-XXX-C6 (Xeno Roles): CRUSHER GANG CRUSHER GANG
    Whitelisted Monkey Damn You Boomermin, the Monkeys will rise again
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentor - 6/5/2020

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you could also make engineering variant with insulation and a medical variant with biological protection