Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Jones is a stupid cat

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThesoldierLLJK View Post
    Alternative thing I've been speaking to Nanu about is changing it from a capital crime to a new "Cruelty to Animals" crime. It would fall under the SOP about wild-life. Something that says marines shouldn't be killing domesticated animals (jones, mr/mrs wiggles, cows) and non-hostile wildlife (monkeys/yiren/those furry thingys) unless its for research purposes.
    Cruelty to Animals sounds a lot more reasonable than "Killing the cat is the same as killing a marine".

I assume that would be a minor or major crime with what, a 10 to 20 minute sentence? With an execution clause for Jones if the captain says so?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just L View Post
    Cruelty to Animals sounds a lot more reasonable than "Killing the cat is the same as killing a marine".

I assume that would be a minor or major crime with what, a 10 to 20 minute sentence? With an execution clause for Jones if the captain says so?
    Ok, Lawyerese, don’t fail me now...

I think the better way to put it is thusly:

Killing the Captain’s pet is tantamount to an assault on the office of the Captain itself, and thus counts as inflicting damage upon the Captain themselves. The Captain may judge whether this constitutes an act of cowardice and mutiny, punishable by battlefield execution.

Edit: The justification for an execution then becomes a matter of punishment for someone who wished to use lethal means by which to influence the actions of the Captain. There are no rights for the cat in this instance, but it’s the Captain’s rights which have been violated, amounting to some form of extortion, which carries much more weight with an individual who carries great influence. Essentially, the cat-murderer has tried to extort the entire ship and it’s crew by attempting to influence the actions of the Captain through felinicide.
    Last edited by Moosetasm; 04-20-2020 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Bah, legalese.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why don't we just scrap all the laws outside of capital crimes and replace them with one:

'All disorders and neglects to the prejudice of good order and discipline in the armed forces, all conduct of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces, and crimes and offenses not capital, of which persons subject to this law may be guilty, shall be taken cognizance of by a general, special, or summary court-martial, according to the nature and degree of the offense, and shall be punished at the discretion of that court. As used in the preceding sentence, the term “crimes and offenses not capital” includes any conduct engaged in outside the United States that would constitute a crime or offense not capital if the conduct had been engaged in within the special maritime and territorial jurisdiction of the United States.'

Problem solved, as now you can only be arrested if you do something that disrupted the good order and discipline of our beloved Colonial Marine Corps or commit a capital offence. No more nonsensical arrests by MPs, as they now have simple guidelines.
    Last edited by drover; 04-20-2020 at 08:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drover View Post
    Why don't we just scrap all the laws outside of capital crimes and replace them with one:

[I]'All disorders and neglects to the prejudice of good order and discipline in the armed forces, all conduct of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces, and crimes and offenses not capital, of which persons subject to this law may be guilty, shall be taken cognizance of by a general, special, or summary court-martial, according to the nature and degree of the offense, and shall be punished at the discretion of that court.
    You... do realize that that gives them carte-blanche to arrest anyone for ANY reason, right?

“How dare you bring dishonor to my beloved CORPS!”
    “Sir, I was chewing gum, sir?”
    “Total disgrace! Perma!”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosetasm View Post
    You... do realize that that gives them carte-blanche to arrest anyone for ANY reason, right?

“How dare you bring dishonor to my beloved CORPS!”
    “Sir, I was chewing gum, sir?”
    “Total disgrace! Perma!”
    Absolutely.

As per paragraph 6a of chapter 1 of Marine Corps Order 1020.34H:

"[...] a Marine’s duty and personal obligation to maintain a professional and neat appearance. Any activity which detracts from the dignified appearance of Marines is unacceptable. The use of chewing gum, chewing tobacco, cigarettes or the consumption of food while walking in uniform or while in formation are examples of activities that detract from the appearance expected of a United States Marine."

That MPs actions would be well within the bounds of HRP. Those LRP Marines will surely stop their disgraceful actions real quick.
    Last edited by drover; 04-20-2020 at 09:25 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharinoma View Post
    ML shouldn't provide an easy way to lock up the CO if he shoots his own pet. It should be possible, perhaps easy, but not cakewalk. COs are (should be?) held to a high standard OOCly, so them killing their pet will (should?) be part and source of shiside RP.
    It is really easy for the CO to get out of direct marine law consequences, just declare that Jones is no longer your pet before killing it. Hell, the CO informing everyone that they disowned Jones would actually help make it a source of shipside RP.