User Tag List

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: On Jailbreaks

Whitelisted Captain/Retired WL Maintainer Snooper44's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imagine wanting to remove a role that literally prevents 80% of the server from getting banned. When a marine tries to deploy naked, the MPs handle it. when a marine throws eggs at the CO during briefing, MPs handle it. When someone steals your gun and you want it back knowing you can't buckshot them to death for it, MPs handle it.

If MPs were removed, staff would be handling these situations and I assure you a lot will not be as lenient as MPs who give you the 'minimum' charge for LRP actions. I agree there are certain MPs who are utterly bald in the role. That is why there are fax machines and AHELPS. If a MP is under preforming you report it. If you want them removed entirely however be ready for the MRP atmosphere to be upheld by the staff instead of the MPs.

Commodore Greg Lauffer

Whitelist Maintainer

January 1st 2021 - June 28th 2021

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snooper44 View Post
    Imagine wanting to remove a role that literally prevents 80% of the server from getting banned. When a marine tries to deploy naked, the MPs handle it. when a marine throws eggs at the CO during briefing, MPs handle it. When someone steals your gun and you want it back knowing you can't buckshot them to death for it, MPs handle it.

If MPs were removed, staff would be handling these situations and I assure you a lot will not be as lenient as MPs who give you the 'minimum' charge for LRP actions. I agree there are certain MPs who are utterly bald in the role. That is why there are fax machines and AHELPS. If a MP is under preforming you report it. If you want them removed entirely however be ready for the MRP atmosphere to be upheld by the staff instead of the MPs.
    It's already been stated that the fax machine doesn't help, since that's just an IC ahelp. Ahelps against shitter MPs don't do much either, unless the MP is being particularly bad.

Yes, throwing eggs at the CO is stupid. That is a completely valid arrest. This isn't about MPs making valid arrests though, this is about MPs that intentionally antagonize and bait people into getting arrested. How often do you see MPs jump at the chance to arrest a brand new PVT who's just trying to figure shit out? It's quite common, I saw it happen at least two times in the last week, because a PVT was trying to figure out how to use a shotgun, and he didn't know there was a firing range on the ship.

I'm not calling for the removal of MPs, but MPs need to be held to a very high standard, given stuff to do besides sit at Delta req and try to bait people into getting arrested, or make it so they don't have complete and total OOC protection to ruin peoples rounds.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want them removed entirely however be ready for the MRP atmosphere to be upheld by the staff instead of the MPs.
    Haha. Yes, cat laws are very MRP. If not only those brave MPs, admemes would have to enforce... M... M... MRP!

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also yeah, MPs don't really do much to enforce roleplay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If MPs were removed, staff would be handling these situations and I assure you a lot will not be as lenient as MPs who give you the 'minimum' charge for LRP actions.
    Good. That’s what the server NEEDS if you hope to keep it MRP. If the server was truly MRP, you wouldn’t even need the MPs. If I go onto VG station, and it’s one out of every twenty rounds I play when there’s someone who isn’t an antag who goes around screwing with other departments and greytiding or murderbonerbending, they tend to mysteriously disappear and then either reappear with a better attitude, or they explode, and the admins announce they’ve gotten their ban.

Imagine if the Marines weren’t constantly and egregiously breaking marine law because they were acting like sane people... well even if not fully sane, then at least controlled enough to be a deployable marine. Imagine that they would sit and listen during briefing, with maybe the occasional squad member messaging someone regarding equipment. Imagine them not acting like a grade school classroom, with crap flying around and people climbing the platform.

Another problem is, as stated by the others, there are MPs that are the problem. Ones that pull the BS of “I am technically correct, the best kind of correct.” Complaints don’t work if you have MPs who will smack down new people for small offenses. And those people being abused will not report it, because it’s easier to just act out, especially if it’s another player and not a moderator or admin. LRP marine law, like the cat law do nothing to help the situation.

And to top it off, the MPs aren’t actually reducing the amount of LRP. If anything, they’re making the LRP problem worse. This is because they are attempting to address an OOC issue IC. If the OOC issue is a player being LRP, then having another player try to address the problem by going HRP with the problem will never succeed. They’re not even speaking the same language, that Ungarine doesn’t know marine law, and likely doesn’t care. By addressing it in character, that MP is actually empowering that LRP because they’re treating it like it isn’t outright breaking server rules. Which means the player thinks that the MP is just being a 100% shitler even if they’re 100% justified. If they got arrested last round and they they think their offenses were acceptable IC, they’re just more likely to repeat and probably act out worse, since they feel they’re screwed either way, and might as well get the most bang for their buck. They’re more likely to spread their story of unfair treatment, and get others to riot or grief the MPs as their own form of retributory justice.

TLDR: by pawning off the responsibility of policing the server onto players who haven’t gone through the mod or admin vetting process, and by the MPs addressing OOC issues IC, you are actually encouraging the LRP behavior. You are setting yourself up for more situations where 10 players are forced prone by an admin because the players truthfully believed that the proper escalation of force goes from the MPs tazing people straight to shooting everyone.
    Last edited by Moosetasm; 04-18-2020 at 06:18 AM.

Dev Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet if you trialed removing MPs and just had mods deal with people working against the marines you'd have no need for mutinies and no need for BEs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imagine wanting to remove a role that literally prevents 80% of the server from getting banned......

If MPs were removed, staff would be handling these situations and I assure you a lot will not be as lenient as MPs who give you the 'minimum' charge for LRP actions.
    That would be a wonderful world. The players get what they want, no MPs. The MPs get what they want, to no longer be shit on by the players and some staff. Game quality goes up because the entire base knows there is long terms consiquences for bad actions, sancatity of life is restored.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's do it. But before that, let's have a vote on it to see what more than 10 people posting in a forum think. And include an option that designates a day or two every month for no-holds-barred LRP fuckery, to be contained within only those 24 hours.

Dev Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marines working against their own team is an OOC problem and shouldn't be handled by an IC role.

Whitelisted Captain/Retired WL Maintainer Snooper44's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    inb4 all the hate directed at MPs is directed at staff. People begin to ragequit because they get noted for throwing eggs in briefing.

Commodore Greg Lauffer

Whitelist Maintainer

January 1st 2021 - June 28th 2021