User Tag List

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Player Tokens

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do we need positive enforcement in the first place?
    You play here, make friendships, have fun shooting xenos or doing whack RP.

Why are good boy brownie notes/points/lollipops even needed? If you want to play here, surely you are glad about it and the positive effects the game and community bring you? Or not, and then you leave or get banned for doing dumb shit.

A pat on the head from staff/others feels good, sure, but it breeds a stupid cult of personality around certain players and staff members who brownose eachother, helping no-one.
    Bert 'SOAB' Beach CARGONIA
    Henrik & Leeroy SYNTHETIC
    Rau'ta H'chak YAUTJA

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

"Honestly, how can you hire this cunt? You must be really fucked up to hire someone like him."

sexy avatar by Manezinho

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Positive reinforcement works better than negative reinforcement when everyone's just trying to have a good time. The cult of personality shit is something else entirely that the SS13 community just has a problem with, so it's somewhat unavoidable if you want to do something like Good Boy Points.

Also we have medals already which are sort of like Good Boy Points, but at least make sense IC and are something you can look back at and go "Oh man I remember that round, that was awesome" or "Wow why the hell did I get that medal?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just L View Post
    Also we have medals already which are sort of like Good Boy Points, but at least make sense IC and are something you can look back at and go "Oh man I remember that round, that was awesome" or "Wow why the hell did I get that medal?"
    Might as well, it's a system that's already in place and can be used to built off of.

Quote Originally Posted by xenofood View Post
    I have a feeling that going the way of cosmetic upgrades and custom/special clothing, etc. is ultimately not that great for RP overall. A marine putting on a red bandana is one thing. A Good Boy (TM) Marine dressed in unique looking armor might be pushing it.

People should want to be good players and have their name be recognized, so that when they enter a room, people who know them will think "Hey, it's that guy, I like him.", that's ultimately why 99% of us only use one name.

Why not use an existing system already in place - medals?

There's The Medal of Distinguished Conduct, that can be applied to a numerous amount of situations, as long as it's not overdone. You certainly can't award a medal every time a marine says please and thank you at the RO line, but you CAN award it to a player that's been on guard duty nonstop for 2 hours, passing the time by roleplaying.

Alternatively, you can always add a new medal type.

And in case this is a little bit too OOC, you can always take the medal system template, literally title it Good Boy Notes. Have it work exactly like medals - appears only in your statistics screen - and have it be awarded by Admins/Mods only. When you're a player and you stick for the whole round and you play well with others, ending the round and checking your statistics screen to see "Good Boy Notes: +1" and a brief description of what was it that you've done that an Admin liked, is much more rewarding, because at that point, you know that someone was watching you and they enjoyed it, and you weren't just dicking around for your own amusement.

Ultimately, it still all boils down to people wanting to be good players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The idea is to foster community and encourage more role playing, right?

Okay, the idea was to try grabbing handfuls of random ideas and throwing them at the wall to see what might stick, but in the end, I came up with one idea. Probably not easy to implement, but who knows?

It would be some sort of discovery system, involving characters optionally having more written backstory, like anecdotes and things, and you naturally share those during the round. There is a “socialized with” verb which you use to select another player, and at the end of the round, you select what you mentioned, and answer questions about what they mentioned from lists, and as long as you both chose the correct things, you get RP points. The big condition is that you can only get those RP points from someone like once a week, or once a month. So you might have four friends willing to meta RP with you each turn, but that doesn’t matter, since they can only get you once per month. And while you can just blurt your backstory out randomly over the airwaves, it’s completely useless unless you get a story in return. This also keeps the popular kids from getting everything, because there’s only so much they’ll be willing or able to remember. You might forget that copy paste block text that someone dumped into chat, but you’ll likely remember the guy who said that he’s trying to cut back on drinking because he’s already on his third replacement liver and the USCM won’t pay for the fourth. And Booze McKensie will prolly remember when the other guy says “uhhh I only drink water.” So it behooves you to interact with and role play with as many people as possible during a round. Someone who plays very little would still be able to come out with a crap ton of stories from just one round if they interacted with others a lot.

There, role playing incentive. Probably a nightmare to program and implement, and there would need to be a reporting system for if someone tries to game it, but there it is... I guess. As for bonuses you might get? I dunno. That’s a huge toss up as to how important everyone actually wants role playing to be. It could be anything from helmet flair to headbands with armor (yeah, I’m stuck on that idea) or maybe even a higher chance of being part of an event when one happens (since you’ve shown your willingness to both tell and listen to story). Like I said, lots of possibilities.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, I think having negative notes is a good idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    positive notes is fine I have no problem with it, but the priority and exclusive access thing is real bad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cimo View Post
    positive notes is fine I have no problem with it, but the priority and exclusive access thing is real bad
    You can't tie whatever form of positive notes or good boy points there might be to any sort of game content or bonuses. A good roleplayer's reward is being known for being a good roleplayer, knowing that somebody noticed and enjoyed seeing/interacting with them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorkkeli View Post
    Why are good boy brownie notes/points/lollipops even needed? If you want to play here, surely you are glad about it and the positive effects the game and community bring you? Or not, and then you leave or get banned for doing dumb shit.

A pat on the head from staff/others feels good, sure, but it breeds a stupid cult of personality around certain players and staff members who brownose eachother, helping no-one.
    Honestly, this. To piggy-back off what Dorkkeli is saying, a positive notes system might end up creating a similar problem the current notes system tends to bring forward, except instead of people getting punished too harshly for their actions, people might not get punished at all. I really don't want to imagine that we'd have to deal with a situation where Person A randomly decides to gun down the CO in the middle of briefing and gets a reduced ban because they're 'known' or have a 'good history', but I know this is a community centered around a video game and it is kind of a lot to expect the human beings who sign up to be staff to act in a manner that is ethically sound and morally appropriate.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosetasm View Post
    snip.
    So this is a system which does nothing new really. People interact with people they recognize regardless, and will interact with other new people whenever it happens, IF THEY RP AT ALL. The thing is, we cant offer anything that isnt cosmetic in exchange for these points, and even then, its a bit of a muddy path. And the only people who even care about cosmetic things? The people who bother to RP. We in reality cant create anything tangible, practical and objective, that encourages people to bother to RP without going to a HRP admin Dystopia. At the end of the day, we cant force folks to go beyond "i shoot xeno hah" into Greg Lauffers, and neither should we.

The short answer is, we dont need another needless system just to pat people on the back. It strains the game if its a mechanical implementation, and is a bunch of manhours spent on something that is not a priority issue.

Additional, "How to bring back old MRP" - part:

Strip stats to discourage TDM and 'killstreaks'. It was a novel and fun thing, but there was a drastic rise in 12:15 deployments and metarushes around the time KD was added with stats. This was only stumped with heavyhanded admin intervention and anti-metarush implementation, which is a strain. Admins and mods dont want to railroad the round, but we do it when necessary.

Buff xenos so they are not sheets of paper to poke through and aim for a 70% xeno winrate. Why? Xenos used to be terrifying. People had to work as a team. Working as a team encouraged people to interact. Interacting made people talk in OOC with eachother. Talking in OOC gave you friends. I play with older CM players outside of CM all the time. I talk with newer people constantly, but it never develops into anything epic anymore.

Lastly, shift more things from OOC issues into IC issues (sorry but i dont want to note people for wearing shorts or playing UNO or using LV floodlights for cover) , add back timelocks and fix pred WL.

Is this all boomer nostalgia goggle talk? No, change is good, but we have lost a core part of CM along the way, and good boy points are gonna make things worse.

Yeah, rimmytide and ssethtide made things shift. As with all surges in SS13, the tiders are usually not the type of people that appeal to SS13, like people who like Traditional Games or Face Punching people or having big Goon Squads, but are more of the mainstream audience. But as always, they will either 1. Assimilate, become on of us - 2. Not assimilate and leave - 3. Not assimilate and stay, fucking up the balance of SS13.

TLDR: old CM was factually better on the grand scheme of things, focus on QoL that doesnt strain the game and make shit more of a challenge.
    Last edited by Dorkkeli; 04-25-2020 at 10:11 PM.
    Bert 'SOAB' Beach CARGONIA
    Henrik & Leeroy SYNTHETIC
    Rau'ta H'chak YAUTJA

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

"Honestly, how can you hire this cunt? You must be really fucked up to hire someone like him."

sexy avatar by Manezinho

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corocan View Post
    Honestly, this. To piggy-back off what Dorkkeli is saying, a positive notes system might end up creating a similar problem the current notes system tends to bring forward, except instead of people getting punished too harshly for their actions, people might not get punished at all. I really don't want to imagine that we'd have to deal with a situation where Person A randomly decides to gun down the CO in the middle of briefing and gets a reduced ban because they're 'known' or have a 'good history', but I know this is a community centered around a video game and it is kind of a lot to expect the human beings who sign up to be staff to act in a manner that is ethically sound and morally appropriate.
    While the possibility exists, I find it hard to believe for someone who is "in good standing" as it were to suddenly just decide to be a shitter.