User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The metarush problem

Retired Manager
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'd move minimum dropship deployment back to like 12:20, 5 minutes makes a huge difference in maturity for xenos, otherwise i dont like trying to balance the round in anyway because if xenos lose this quick its their fault and not even admin intervention will help outside of rebuilding the entire hive
    Former staff, also former Synthetic senator.

Now just a shitposter and lurker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eh, xenos get young T3 by 12:13 or so right now and they used to get it way later. 12:15 min deployment is fine especially considering COs who do it get yelled at for some reason
    Waiting for lagless CM
    Manuel Conrad - Human
    Alexander Keys - Human (Command)
    SA-D5 - Xenomorph
    Har'Kittak - Yautja
    Thomas - Synthetic

I'm awesome

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still takes time to build defenses for the hivelords and young tier 3s are trash. Generally marines shouldn’t be rushing into hive 12:20 or under though the reason it occurs is typically a group of robustos rush in and spook off and defending tier 2s and young tier 3s. This should be the thing stopped becuase 9/10 those ideot robustos die horrifically and weaken the marines. It just bad teamship to sucicide in like they do.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meta-rushing is tied to Roleplay guidelines.

Meaning meta (Knowledge you know but shouldn't know due to roleplay) is invalid due to the current game-play and mechanics.

What you're experiencing these days is "Rushing" the other team at round start.

The game no longer has meta-rushing due to the lack of RP, people are mentioning aliens within round start and xenos are talking about marines landing soon near instantly.

The issue is team rushing, not meta-rushing.

Whitelisted Captain
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that the meta part is currently referring to marines using the meta-knowledge that the game is balanced in such way that hive is at it's weakest early on and is weak enough to lose to such a rush. Like imagine if some round marines land, but xenos actually get something unexpected that tips the balance. Like two Ravengers. Could you even imagine how much salt there would be? We'd probably even get a staff report about the admin responsible.

Actually this gave me another idea. Now that Neth implemented dynamic larva and maturity... What if it would be somewhat randomized, so the hive would go from somewhat weaker levels to overpowered at random. With the roundstart numbers, larva count, the number of T2\T3 slots and maturity being variable. Basically that would be a nightmare system, only for hives. This would lead to marines being unable to rely on that metaknowledge so much, since they don't know how strong is the particular hive they're fighting. And they'd need to actually scout and be more careful.

Then you can probably tie it down to Defcon on the marine side. Stronger hive - more defcon rewards you get to compensate.
    Roman 'Fire' Kacew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sg2002 View Post
    Actually this gave me another idea. Now that Neth implemented dynamic larva and maturity... What if it would be somewhat randomized, so the hive would go from somewhat weaker levels to overpowered at random. With the roundstart numbers, larva count, the number of T2\T3 slots and maturity being variable. Basically that would be a nightmare system, only for hives. This would lead to marines being unable to rely on that metaknowledge so much, since they don't know how strong is the particular hive they're fighting. And they'd need to actually scout and be more careful.

Then you can probably tie it down to Defcon on the marine side. Stronger hive - more defcon rewards you get to compensate.
    Okay, I was skeptical as I began to read this, but once finished reading I'm all on board for this.

However, I see two issues:
    1) Marines probably just defaulting to metarushing anyway, because either the hive is weak or "we were meant to lose this round anyway cause hive RNG OP"
    2) a nightmare, if not impossible, to code

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fewher View Post
    Meta-rushing is tied to Roleplay guidelines.

Meaning meta (Knowledge you know but shouldn't know due to roleplay) is invalid due to the current game-play and mechanics.

What you're experiencing these days is "Rushing" the other team at round start.

The game no longer has meta-rushing due to the lack of RP, people are mentioning aliens within round start and xenos are talking about marines landing soon near instantly.

The issue is team rushing, not meta-rushing.
    This is the main issue from my perspective. It came as a side effect of the expected contact change, which I personally didn't mind overall. I got tired real fast of having to remember to call runners 'red dogs' and crushers 'rhinos' all the time.

Like many other issues cropping up as of late, the core problems lie in a lack of interest or reinforcement in any kind of roleplay. It's just whichever team can fuck up the other the most in the shortest amount of time because winning is most important, and players will find any way to do it so they can post xenos mad x24 in the discord last round chat. Rushing = Winning

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want metarushing to stop, start banning or otherwise punishing the instigators and participants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a huge problem is the time/population when said rush happens.

While some people think that dropping at 12:20 is okay, and it's the hive lords fault if they have no defenses...you have to look at the time & population. I'm a low pop player so I speak from experience. Sometimes the xenos only have a drone, yes a single drone and this is made even worse by MOBA because everyone wants to try out the new content (rightfully so) and no one is taking up the work of building occasionally. This sometimes means that one or two people are responsible for stopping 90+ marines (on top of having to set up the initial hive) vs 15-ish xenos during low pop. (I have seen it upwards to 100 marines on the planet vs 15-20 xenos with 4 pooled larva)

Now can we really say that it's a single persons fault for not being able to stop three squads? Let's take LVL for example. West caves, east caves, and the north wrap around. One single hive lord with their absolutely horrendous plasma early on (They can build a wall...maybe two before running out) is supposed to set up defenses in all three sections on top of trying to also set up the hive? Add in the Queen screaming about how she wants beach defenses like she's playing during high pop/ has extra hands to help with defenses. (Some reason no one wants to say screw the beach.) One hive lord is supposed to be responsible for all of that?

Now add in the issue of not being able to get a hive lord slot because Queen says free evo and then all of a sudden you have 7 lurkers, and a bunch of warriors, and maybe 1 or 2 drones. Add in marines dropping at 12:13 and generally they'll be in the hive by 12:25, and queen dead by 12:40. We've had rounds like that, and that feels like a meta rush simply because xenos do not have enough players at the time to fulfill all the things that are required for that particular map to make defense viable.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again most rushes are one group or squad chasing down aliens into the hive and ussally getting wiped due to tier 3s or queen death ball. It rare to see all three squads coordinate in time to make a proper rush... which if done gets punished because admins and devs don’t want rounds all ending 5 minutes in with marine major every time. They don’t want to buff xenos father due to rushers.