Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GhostGhost360 - Commander Application

Commander Whitelist Application
    Byond ID?
    GhostGhost360

Player Name You Use Most?
    Tyrus ''Shoeless'' Jackson | TOT

Make a list of links to all of your applications and (job)ban appeals, including whitelist and staff apps, within the last year. Also, provide "Ban reason; Verdict" beside each (job)ban link
    Have you received any ban within the last month? How long was it and what for?
    No.

Do you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

How do you view the tool of Battlefield Execution to be used? What circumstances do you think it would be necessary to BE a member of the crew? Where do you think the Battlefield Execution Mechanic Differs from regular Execution and why?
    My interpretation of the battlefield execution purpose is process that allows for ease of round progression. The battlefield execution is tool that is given to whitelisted captains due to their added level or trust and accountability for marine law and server rules. The marine law functions as an IC method to prevent unwanted player behavior unlike OC server rules that insure limits on acceptable actions. The battlefield execution can be used to bridge the gap between marine law (IC) and server rules/ acceptable actions. This is an important responsibility as the captain can remove a player from the round with no IC methods to undue the decision. If this mechanic is abused an OC action is required from the staff which can break round flow. This mechanic is only to be applied under a strict criteria meant to allow captains to use common sense with their experience and knowledge of CM. The importance of the distinction between BE and other executions is that it circumvents the checks in balances placed under the normal execution and arrest procedures. Its intended use is for cases when the guilt (there is no ambiguity about the crime occurring or who committed the crime) is clear and the crime satisfies the listed criteria (threat to either ship, command or persons). An example of a clear case of guilt is if you the captain personally were stabbed by another USCM personal, so you know that they were in fact the one committing the crime. Then when seeing if this fits the criteria you will evaluate if this falls under threat of persons which it likely would. The last part of the scenario is using common sense and experience that is required to be given the whitelisted position. For example, if the person who stabbed you was a medic and had no motive to attack you it may have be an accident such as medic attempting to removal shrapnel with harm intent on. The regular execution is vetted through various checks and balances which would allow for evaluation of all these factors through multiple persons. By preforming a battlefield execution, you solely are making a choice that was given to you due to the trust you have earned with the community and staff.

How will your Commanding Officer run his/her ship? Provide a detailed explanation on how he would handle situations that might commonly occur such as, a insubordinate Req, Engineering, MP, or Command Staff
    Tyrus runs his ship from the bridge and attempts to portray himself as a steady and measured hand in uneasy waters. My captain isn't above swallowing their pride to admit defeat but isn't willing to compromise their mission by showing weakness. Tyrus isn't a battlefield Captain that chargers into the enemy lines, his battle is with himself to insure he is doing the best job for the people he was entrusted to protect. Tyrus does what he can, to save who he can, when he can. Insubordination should be met first with reason (can they be brought back in line), then action (punish them according to Marine law/ SOP / reasonable measures) and reflection (why did they leave in the first place, what can be changed to avoid or mitigate this). Tyrus doesn’t command with fury his nontangible power comes from his crews trust that he is doing everything in his power to help them succeed. This doesn’t mean Tyrus is unwilling to show force to protect their position because without a strong figure head the crew can lose moral as they see their command as weak.

What do you think is the job of a Commander?
    The Captain’s role has two key areas ensure round stability and provide a qualified roleplay standard. In regards to round stability its important as Captain to make sure that the round is running smoothly so that the rest of the server can operate. Although CM staff represent a stop gap for round quality it’s important to have IC measures in place to allow for smoother resolution of issues. If for example cargo was not operating this would be to the detriment of a large percent of the player base but may not fall under moderator guidelines to resolve. The Captain should be able to have the knowledge and authority to correct these issues to allow for the round to go on. The Captain is used as a reasonable measure to resolve almost all issues found in a round to allow for players to play without unjustified disruptions. The other key part of the captain role is the roleplay standard which often sets the tone for the players around them. The Captain needs to be able to hold themselves to a higher standard of RP so that other players can feel that the IC logic used in the round makes sense. If the Captain sets a tone of meta rushes and power gaming, then the other players will follow suit. The Captain is meant to be an example of server contiguity to gameplay. This is because the captain responsibilities fall on all departments and areas of the ship and her crew so they must be hold themselves accountable to ensure the buck stops with them.

As a player what do you think could be added for Commanding Officer to benefit the role?
    One of my favorite event rounds that really pushed me to create this application was the ship vs ship combat round. I was playing a SO working the defense systems during the round and it left me feeling very immersed. I think the amount of immersion in a round generates stronger RP and overall, more memorable moments. I think you could incorporate more systems into the CIC to allow for a larger toolbox to be used to make tactical decisions. On Trident Dam you can repair the sensor tower to provide the tactical map with an upgrade to allow you to see Xeno. If you could make a balanced deployable that added limited scanning to the map it could represent a lore friendly addition to the game. Currently we have the bell tower as one of the options an engineer can bring into the battlefield, but it isn't used very often as the other deployable sentry's being found more valuable. With the occasional CE installing cameras in the FOB this could represent a change in round to round tactics when paired with a new scanning tower. With the right amount of balance to determine the effectiveness and range of the scanner and how its incorporated into the tac map it could become a useful purchase for engineers. Maybe the other equipment in the CIC could become more modular and allow for interaction beyond the overwatch console to allow extra SOs to move from squad overwatch to radar scanning as the operation dictates. I know from experience when squads become wiped or low its sometimes better to have one SO use two consoles as it’s a waste of resources to have each SO hold one small squad. I think this and other possible additions to CIC could allow for SO the ability to play their true role and not deploy due to them being bored or feeling useless.

What do you think you could contribute by being whitelisted?
    My goal is to become more integrated into the CM community through my effort in round and out of round. I've really enjoyed my time in the community and would like to attempt to add my own style on to the lore/history of the server. I don’t really have any expectations but look forward to the journey or possibilities of contributing. I feel as though I offer a good deal or role play and creativity that I want to use to generate positive or memorable experiences to other players in the community. I think some of the players I look up as being integrated with the server such as Greg Lauffer, Synth Brad, Bill Carson and many more have done a great job of building their character. You can understand their tendencies, perceived responses and attitude between rounds to some extent. I think that’s an interesting and wonderful thing for a game that is played in rounds that last no more than 6 hours at max. The longer I play the server the more in get to interact with different players and learn more about their characters. I think becoming a whitelisted player is sometimes more about showing a commitment to the community and upholding its values to facilitate the same positive experience you were given back to the community.

Your story (potential topics listed below)
    Do you understand that you cannot advertise your application on any public platform for votes. Do you also understand you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see you a lot in CIC as XO and I haven't ever seen you do poorly there. Your story is solid, I like the use of images to supplement the story itself, and your answers are quite detailed for every question. I suggest playing some squad leader as well, so you know what it's like for the guys handling the operation on the ground.

I do have a question though—do you think you should always make the BEST decisions as captain, as in ones that will win the round, or the ones that will make the round more fun even if it might make you lose?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having fun is the most important part of CM as this isn't a job or something we are forced to do. It's something made by passionate people to be enjoyed by all. But the important part about measuring fun is that not all players view things the same and I want to ensure I'm not placing my own fun above the enjoyment of others. People have been playing CM for years now with many rounds on the same map encountering similar challenges or outcomes. Part of their fun is variation and creativity imposed each round by different people in different roles doing different things. I think with experience as a Captain this becomes easier, but you need to pick and choose when to make decisions that could result in sub optimal play. CM isn't a competitive sport; the most important measurement is fun of the majority.

I really like baseball and I think I can make an analogy work here. Starting in the early 90’s Baseball started to collide with statics and mathematic equations were made to view performance. After reviewing the numbers, they found stealing bases and bunting wasn’t worth the risk. But still people bunt and steal bases because sometimes doing something that is more likely to fail is worth trying. I don’t think as Captain you should try to fail but you can try to be creative and try out things at worst you provided a unique challenge to the other players. Also failing can be exciting or enjoyable, when you're watching an at bat in the MLB and someone squares up to bunt you inch closer on your seat. Just like when the FOB is getting hit hard, it’s a hopeless fight against Xeno during hijack or anything else that allows for CM to show its different scenarios.
    Last edited by GhostGhost360; 05-02-2020 at 06:05 PM.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright yeah those answers are all good, I think you'd do a good job keeping this game from becoming stale, unlike a lot of the other COs right now.

+1

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had you as my XO and SO before. You can lead the marines effectively and have a stable control of the operation when I deployed to organize the marines from the ground. You carried the operation and relayed crucial information to all ground troops and me. You also provide tactical maps which is also good so marines can know the enemy position and their position.
    I took a look at your application and I see no problem with the answers. You gave good examples at most of them.
    I also liked your response to Orlando's question. A CO is not meant to technically win a round, but rather let all players have fun in the round either by roleplay or other methods.
    This application is solid and I've seen you a lot so I will leave a POSITIVE vote.
    I play as Viktor 'Beer' Kleiner, Matthaus and as Var'dqi Bo'ytill

LT COL. VIKTOR KLEINER, USS LOWË'S COMMANDING OFFICER

PROVISIONAL COMMAND OVER THE USS ALMAYER

Ex-CO Councillor. If you have any questions regarding the whitelist, feel free to DM me.
    Discord is Axyinious#3635

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Kleiner and Blackburn for the kind words I really do appreciate it. If anyone feels they want to see more of me in game, please don’t hesitate to PM on discord GhosGhost360#7429 to arrange a time we are both online. I also want to make it clear I have no issue with criticism as I know that I'm not the perfect player and want to learn of the areas that need improvement. Thank you for keeping an open mind and taking the time to consider my application.
    Last edited by GhostGhost360; 05-04-2020 at 01:59 PM. Reason: changed tense

The Neverplayer Commodore
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Halo. I saw your gameplay and everything checks out.

Just answer these 2 questions if you have some spare time please so We get to know better, what would you do in these kind of situations:

1 - The CL is trying to recruit marines. You inform the CL via Command channel that you do not authorize the hiring of marines to which he replied: " I can and I will ".
    When you are in briefing, you allow the CL to speak for a minute and he once again, tries to hire marines via Megaphone.
    You BE him on that instance. Is this a valid BE ? If you think the question is too vague feel free to ask me for clarification in discord.

2 - Describe a not so used tactic in a map of your choosing, that you would like to try out, describing it's ups and downs.

Good luck
    Captain Morgan Young

Charlie Squad Medic main and the worst nade Thrower you Will ever see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smov View Post
    Halo. I saw your gameplay and everything checks out.

Just answer these 2 questions if you have some spare time please so We get to know better, what would you do in these kind of situations:

1 - The CL is trying to recruit marines. You inform the CL via Command channel that you do not authorize the hiring of marines to which he replied: " I can and I will ".
    When you are in briefing, you allow the CL to speak for a minute and he once again, tries to hire marines via Megaphone.
    You BE him on that instance. Is this a valid BE ? If you think the question is too vague feel free to ask me for clarification in discord.

2 - Describe a not so used tactic in a map of your choosing, that you would like to try out, describing it's ups and downs.

Good luck
    1. I believe that the following scenario as described constitutes a valid BE. The CL is committing sedition through his actions. The CL represents a growing and valid threat to my command as Captain of the ship. The CL knowingly ignored my clarification of permissions given and challenged my authority. The CL attempts to undermine my command both through verbal threat and in his actions by continuing to ignore my warning. Although in this scenario I would have him arrested after briefing so as not to cause a scene assuming other circumstances didn’t prevent this. Once the MPs arrest the CL he could be placed in the normal execution procedures as described in marine law. Also making note that a valid BE must also have a corresponding announcement.

2. Full disclosure I have seen this tactic used both in event rounds and in small scale. Squad preferences in my opinion represents a possible interesting tactical option for commanders I feel is underutilized. The composition of squad's changes depending on the squad. In Bravo for example you will encounter more mini engineers PFCs due to their tendency to create and maintain FOB. Delta is the largest squad by far and on high pop sometimes gets to more than double the size of the next largest squad with possibility a slightly higher preference for mini medic. With these factors considered I would be interested in trying to merge squads or create mixed units for various purposes. When we have event round on LV for example to hunt predators, I've seen CIC gather all the specs and smart gunners to group and search an area. I think this could be used in a more traditional round by attempting to push the already existing specialization found in squad tendency to have a more specialized unit. If you pulled the specs and smart gunners from all squad and added them to one squad to increase this kill potential it could prove useful. You could also assemble most engineers and rotate them between objective areas such as build FOB, build forward post, build combat cades. I think the main issues with this tactic is communication between newly formed mixed squads due to different comms channels, rivalry between squads to not work with each other and the general dismissal by players to adopt complex changes from regular round tactics. To explain the last point more thoroughly, I think the saying war is chaos is true and players will take general directions but if you get to detailed it won't work. I would still like to try changing squad compositions to develop useful objective based groupings.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question time!
    Alrighty in these Questions put your self as the captain and in a few *will point out* try and describe any other possibility this includes no MPs are online or no MPs or SOs on and ect

Lets get to it!

1.) The map is LV 624 you just awoke what is your first priority and basic actions to start the operation Example like setting LZ 1.

2.) Give a Briefing / Orders for the map in the previous question .

3.) Delta deployed early without your authorization and starts ravaging the planet side how would you get this situation under control or dealt with?

4.) A riot breaks out in briefing how will you get it under control?
    Retired CSM Jonathon 'Ghost' Granger

Discord Jonathongun#0219

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesthebond View Post
    Question time!
    Alrighty in these Questions put your self as the captain and in a few *will point out* try and describe any other possibility this includes no MPs are online or no MPs or SOs on and ect

Lets get to it!

1.) The map is LV 624 you just awoke what is your first priority and basic actions to start the operation Example like setting LZ 1.

2.) Give a Briefing / Orders for the map in the previous question .

3.) Delta deployed early without your authorization and starts ravaging the planet side how would you get this situation under control or dealt with?

I would grab the command tablet and head to CIC to set primary LZ so the POs can correctly loadout the ships. Then I would log into the overwatch consoles to check for squad distribution (does X squad have enough engineers, medics, squad leader etc). After that was complete, I would check the manifest for other bridge staff (primary subordinates to delegate tasks), MPs (maintaining order), doctors (making chems/ prepping medical), CE (load OB), Synth (flexible support unit), RO (critical to insuring supply flow). I would use this information to shift my focus on what departments need help and send resources accordingly (send synth to medical to work chems, send XO to cargo to work the line etc). I would then make an announcement as to when and where brief will be taking place. With my information from the squad's compositions I would make the battle plan. The following of the pre deployment minimal duties would be conducting or delegating brief, setting launch time for transport PO(s), and assigning CIC staff their duties.

2.) Give a Briefing / Orders for the map in the previous question.

Hello crew, we have been deployed to the colony of LV-624 to investigate a distress beacon. Currently the colony has gone dark, so we are going in blind. I'm sure the CL will appreciate any information you find down there. As for deployment orders we will have Alpha construct a forward operating base on the edge of the eastern river in cargo. Bravo will be constructing the primary FOB at LZ1 and maintaining its security. Charlie will be working search and destroy with the IOs in the southern colony to collect intel and secure any colonist in the AO. Lastly Delta is to hold at the eastern riverbank along the fog line until our other forces are ready to push north of the river. They will be moving into some sort of sand temple structure. Briefing is concluded, move to dropship one for deployment at 12:20. Good luck and if you're unsure of the plan consult your SL or read the tactical map. https://imgur.com/a/zuijDvo

I would investigate who if anyone gave them permission to deploy and reprimand or charge them accordingly. Then I would find out who if anyone flew them down to the planet and reprimand or charge them accordingly. Finally, for dealing with the troops that deployed without authorization I would order them back to the LZ to either return to the ship or await our deployment (depending on the time of intended drop in contrast to the early drop). As for punishing delta I would likely avoid summary punishment as I don’t want to arrest a whole squad. I would likely punish the squad leader or whoever encouraged the early deployment along with whoever showed little remorse or understanding for why it's not acceptable.

I would use the flasher to stop them from getting too wild as I move MPs (or deputized MPs if none were online). I would likely attempt to speed up deployment assuming it was still within the rules (drop time rules) to get and complying crew on the ground to avoid crossfire or further rioters joining. If it got out of hand, I would likely fax the provost for riot troops to be deployed to augment my MPs. If possible, I would attempt to quell the riots with negotiation to some level. I wouldn’t let them just riot for what they want but if they were protesting a legitimate injustice, I would attempt to resolve it. I've witnessed riots during brief before such as the infamous MOU kit riot of 2019 and assuming its admin approved it really can't be stopped. Of course I would do everything in my power to get the ship back in control but I think an important part of that is buying time on the ground by making sure the distraction on the ship doesn’t allow the Xeno to stomp the troops deployed.