User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is 2020 CM just a TDM with RP elements shipside?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another epic run around the CM staff hamster wheel

Admins want MRP but the game is developed for noRP TDM

RP quality on CM used to be really fun in a tongue-in-cheek kind of way, but for the longest time now it's been utterly nonexistent

It will never come back

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

f for all the players that joined CM after 2018 and never got to experience roleplay

Whitelisted Captain 50RemAndCounting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly. Absolutely regardless of the job/position you play. RP is just background white noise, a brief commercial break from grinding your job. Akin to some stupid audio logs you would collect in a 2010s FPS game.

Most of the time you can't do much except have occasional to semi-frequent short to medium-ish length conversations. Even that, depending on the role you play, may end up in a salty peabrain PO/SO/etc. yelling "REEEEEEEE WHERS THE FUCK ARE YOU MPS ARREST THIS PERSON FOR NEGLECT OF DUTY!" after you being absent for 30 second because someone decided they needed a quickclot autoinjector from your vending machine the moment you stepped out of a barren medbay.

Even as a corporate liaison in a normal round, the extent of the stuff you can do to RP is just make sure you bother people at the right times and when they're not too busy. Hell, even then chances are very high you will be interrupted when the researchers come begging you to upgrade their research clearance, though at least so far I always had success in turning that into some kind of an rp situation.

And I suppose if you're into that sort of thing you can do something vaguely antag-ish as CL which could make the fun a lil more fun for you as the (a)CO wants your head on a silver platter for sedition and you play hide and seek with the MPs for a while. Even then that bears the risk of an instant jban from CL to you because every staff member has their own interpretation of the self antag rule and don't have the same level of regard for matters of context and so on.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RemAndCounting View Post
    Honestly. Absolutely regardless of the job/position you play. RP is just background white noise, a brief commercial break from grinding your job. Akin to some stupid audio logs you would collect in a 2010s FPS game.

Most of the time you can't do much except have occasional to semi-frequent short to medium-ish length conversations. Even that, depending on the role you play, may end up in a salty peabrain PO/SO/etc. yelling "REEEEEEEE WHERS THE FUCK ARE YOU MPS ARREST THIS PERSON FOR NEGLECT OF DUTY!" after you being absent for 30 second because someone decided they needed a quickclot autoinjector from your vending machine the moment you stepped out of a barren medbay.

Even as a corporate liaison in a normal round, the extent of the stuff you can do to RP is just make sure you bother people at the right times and when they're not too busy. Hell, even then chances are very high you will be interrupted when the researchers come begging you to upgrade their research clearance, though at least so far I always had success in turning that into some kind of an rp situation.

And I suppose if you're into that sort of thing you can do something vaguely antag-ish as CL which could make the fun a lil more fun for you as the (a)CO wants your head on a silver platter for sedition and you play hide and seek with the MPs for a while. Even then that bears the risk of an instant jban from CL to you because every staff member has their own interpretation of the self antag rule and don't have the same level of regard for matters of context and so on.
    personally i feel that the CL is the perfect example of staff neglecting shipside RP, at the end of the day who cares for the CL? as an XO or SO I surely don't, the average marine is too busy slaughtering xenos to actually listen to the CL. the only "group" that somewhat cares about what the CL is up to are the MPs and hell not even that much. the CL is living proof that staff don't care about RP and prefer tdm stuff
    Chaotic puppet-master from hell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbertBlackwell View Post
    personally i feel that the CL is the perfect example of staff neglecting shipside RP, at the end of the day who cares for the CL? as an XO or SO I surely don't, the average marine is too busy slaughtering xenos to actually listen to the CL. the only "group" that somewhat cares about what the CL is up to are the MPs and hell not even that much. the CL is living proof that staff don't care about RP and prefer tdm stuff
    Anytime I play CL, I find that I have to make my own fun, both for myself and (hopefully) others, mostly by supplying illicit narcotics to the marines, especially the IOs, whose typically short life span is vastly increased by the ability to run at ultrazine speeds. There was one round where I was snitched out to the MPs and ended up being asked if I was giving out illegal medications. I just talked them in circles until they gave up and told me to not let them catch me doing it. I’ve also shot the CMO as the CL, and got away with it... though to be fair, that was a weird round. The CMO was insane, and someone drugged me with my own ultrazine, and I was hallucinating wildly, which made being interrogated, while the CMO stood there insisting they were fine despite the growing puddle of blood underneath them, very interesting.

But yeah, unless there’s an event involving them, I don’t see much in the realm of built-in RP availability since the CL doesn’t have any actual objectives that they could achieve. If they could give their stacks of money to Req for buying crates, or something similar, they’d have more people to interact with, but still no objectives per se. Even some kind of round-start randomized fax with basic info about the planet, and instructions like “please don’t let them blow up the industrial cotton-candy maker” would go a long way towards them having some kind of goals, as well as a paper to give to the CO so that they know the CL isn’t just blowing smoke up their ass about not wrecking the place. (Not that the marines would listen, but still.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbertBlackwell View Post
    I agree with moosetasm, you have to basically rp alone as a CL, you cant influence the round in any major way, most of the influence you have as a CL is handing out drugs and bothering people using paper with many useless words on it.

When i play him i always try to get command to agree to limit cas/ob/mortar, do the usual survivor non disclosure agreement (but its hard to find a survivor that cares), and fight IOs and research for weston-yamada copyrigthed chemicals and such, but currently the role feels stale.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was never much planetside RP even years back, but I've definitely noticed that what little there was is completely gone. I think what really did it in was the rules change re: IC knowledge of xenos by marines and vice-versa, since a lot of the early-round RP came from marines trying to "figure out" what had happened to the colony and xenos not having to immediately run away to the hive as soon as marines landed for fear of being instantly meta-rushed. Now that enlisted marines are allowed to know about xenos before running into them it's just straight TDM every round. Hell, I distinctly remember having rounds where I'd spend 10-20 minutes of early game just sneaking around making noises and giving marines brief glimpses of me to mess with them. Not anymore, since they're just going to unga rush after me with half a squad without stopping to say, "What was that?"

I also haven't seen preds in ages, and despite the problems with them they were usually a decent source of off-ship RP.