User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you want codified RP standards?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, written by staff

19 36.54%
  • Yes, written by the community

27 51.92%
  • No

6 11.54%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Defining LRP/MRP/HRP

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Defining LRP/MRP/HRP

Hello, seeing as Thesoldier has now declared that LRP IS DEAD, we as a community should come together to create some actual standards as to what LRP/MRP is (posthumously of course, as LRP is dead) and start to follow them.

Discord_2020-05-05_09-28-52.jpg

What I see the various 'levels of RP ' as:

LRP - Playing a character with minimal effort put into it. You're basically just a faceless background character, or a very generic one. You don't have any particular personality traits and contribute little to the atmosphere or flavor of the round. Constant spouting of memes that aren't fitting for the time period, or talking OOC while IC.

MRP - Playing a character with some effort put into it, even if the character seems somewhat silly. Playing a character that seems fitting for a game based on an 80s action movie. 'Retro scifi' has always been the basis for all SS13 servers, and as such it is consistent with the tone and lore of them to have a character behave as if they are from these pieces of media

Some films that are good to base characters on:
    Robocop
    Total Recall
    Commando
    Predator
    Big Trouble in Little China
    They Live
    Mad Max/Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior
    Die Hard
    Escape from New York
    Raw Force

HRP - Does not exist, simply due to the fact that you cannot type out enough information in most circumstances to justify every action your character takes, as SS13 is too much of a game and too fast-paced on most servers to allow for something like this.

What do you all think? I personally don't see this working out at all, since literally everyone on the xeno side and the vast majority on the marine side just want to goof around and do silly shit while shooting aliens or delimbing marines. With no lore to base characters on, there cannot be enough depth to differentiate them from one another in an interesting and entertaining way

I am sure none of us want to go back to the 'MRP' days of first contact, where it was quite literally the same exact roleplay every single round - See a ROONER at LZ1, shout about 'weird red dogs' over comms, wait till someone gets captured or facehugged and pretend you now have justification to evac/rush the hive, etc.
    While that was all technically consistent with the lore of the game, it was also boring as fuck and got old quite fast, and just resulted in people not caring about roleplay or looking for the slightest justification they could to metagame.

It must have sure been interesting and fun for admins to receive the same fax from the CL every round, talking about "some kind of alien species on the planet" and how they should "capture it for research and profit".

Until there is an actual OOC basis for what LRP is, you cannot claim that LRP is not allowed. Just saying "memey stuff is LRP" is not enough, as plenty of people have been bwoinked, noted, and banned for stuff that wasn't memey, it was just silly but IC.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just L View Post
    LRP - Playing a character with minimal effort put into it. You're basically just a faceless background character, or a very generic one. You don't have any particular personality traits and contribute little to the atmosphere or flavor of the round.
    Everything good, but that. Its 0RP, not LRP to not do anything exceptional as marine. Nobody should be punished for doing bare TDM minimum of going to Prep, going to Req, going to Briefing and then going to DS without RPing at all.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    Everything good, but that. Its 0RP, not LRP to not do anything exceptional as marine. Nobody should be punished for doing bare TDM minimum of going to Prep, going to Req, going to Briefing and then going to DS without RPing at all.
    That is true, yeah. 0RP is not a big deal if you are literally NOT talking at all outside of "Xeno here" etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Until there is an actual OOC basis for what LRP is, you cannot claim that LRP is not allowed. Just saying "memey stuff is LRP" is not enough, as plenty of people have been bwoinked, noted, and banned for stuff that wasn't memey, it was just silly but IC.
    I haven't been particularly active on the server since this call was made, do you know of any particular examples you can share to give us a better idea of to what degree some staff have taken it and why it's too far?

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corocan View Post
    I haven't been particularly active on the server since this call was made, do you know of any particular examples you can share to give us a better idea of to what degree some staff have taken it and why it's too far?
    The decision was JUST made today that there will be a 'zero tolerance policy' for LRP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The decision was JUST made today that there will be a 'zero tolerance policy' for LRP.
    Oh, I thought when you said

Quote Originally Posted by Just L
    plenty of people have been bwoinked, noted, and banned for stuff that wasn't memey, it was just silly but IC.
    Was in reference to bwoinks, notes, and bans that had happened already as a result of this decision.

I think we should wait to see the effects of this current iteration of implementation before forming an opinion on it.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corocan View Post
    Oh, I thought when you said

Was in reference to bwoinks, notes, and bans that had happened already as a result of this decision.

I think we should wait to see the effects of this current iteration of implementation before forming an opinion on it.
    It's gonna be the same shit as the last couple of times it was tried. Xeno hivemind becomes dull and boring, people stop roleplaying entirely as PFCs, etc etc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Xeno hivemind becomes dull and boring, people stop roleplaying entirely as PFCs, etc etc
    I mean, to me, xeno hivemind is already kind of dull and boring as is. I'm not really sure what 'dumb stuff' Soldier's talking about, to be honest. If it's like spouting off memes, epic xeno moments, tallhosts mad x24, etc. then yeah I don't mind that disappearing from the game.

As for the PFCs roleplaying, I do agree that trying to limit the "bag of tricks" players are allowed to pull from to add a spiciness to their character is a bad idea. Before we start cracking down on LRP, lore should definitely get expanded on to let the marine players sort of get an idea of what the universe is like and the level of realism expected from them, while also increasing the variety of the "bag of tricks" players can add to their characters without them having to run the risk of potentially catching a ban for how they act.

I think letting the lore speak for itself is a better idea than trying to make a definitive guideline of what is and isn't LRP. I think trying to make that guideline will just lead to a lot of very specific rulings that almost feel like reading some kind of case study expect instead of Roe v. Wade it's XenoBlaster69 v. Memerator or something. It's just not feasible to expect staff to be able to make a guideline that covers every single situation and a lot of people will end up rule lawyering it until someone has to come down and either make an exception or a decision.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, seeing as Thesoldier has now declared that LRP IS DEAD, we as a community should come together to create some actual standards as to what LRP/MRP is (posthumously of course, as LRP is dead) and start to follow them.

Discord_2020-05-05_09-28-52.jpg

I am sure none of us want to go back to the 'MRP' days of first contact, where it was quite literally the same exact roleplay every single round - See a ROONER at LZ1, shout about 'weird red dogs' over comms, wait till someone gets captured or facehugged and pretend you now have justification to evac/rush the hive, etc.
    While that was all technically consistent with the lore of the game, it was also boring as fuck and got old quite fast, and just resulted in people not caring about roleplay or looking for the slightest justification they could to metagame.
    God don't remind me. Expected contact was the best thing that could've happened
    Nathon Stafford-Sunglasses wearing Delta L42 kiter man. Sometimes a Captain.
    Benedict-Praiser of Jesus, healer of marines, killer of Queens.
    Kahn'Ikesh-Blooded Hunter and great grandson of Gor'don Ram-sey
    (pfp by Manezinho)
    medals:https://pastebin.com/xiCJLuhz
    Mapper since 12/29/2020
    Had dev role assasinated on 8/2/21

Synth Councilor as of 2/5/21 along with Jakk, Frogzeke, Yukonsnow, and Flpls
    DM what#3954 for help with Synth Applications

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    High roleplay does exist, although perhaps not in the traditional, jokey way people describe it as *breath

High roleplay literally means that when you're in a safe area, you simply remain in character and roleplay to a high standard. Nobody is saying that you have to emote raising a weapon, pulling the trigger ect. Charlie Squad in its prime was a high roleplay squad, they just did it mainly outside combat or while standingby. Talking about your last deployment or what you're going to do after the mission, is ultimately high roleplay, even mourning your squad as you make it out as one of the only survivors of a routing.

The alteration to expected contact isn't related to roleplay really, it was just a QoL change, like being able to run away from an SDing predator. This is a medium roleplay server after all.

However the low roleplay days were also an issue, roundstart mutinies every round, Marines instead becoming cavemen discovering fire, roundstart riots. It was fucking dumb honestly after a few weeks of constant interruptions to the round.

I think we should have some vague definitions on roleplay, set by the upper management staff. And those definitions should be enforced.

Letting a community decide will never work because the community doesn't, in my eyes, usually make the best choices for the server as a whole.
    <::The Provost is always watching.::>

Spoiler Spoiler: