User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you want codified RP standards?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, written by staff

19 36.54%
  • Yes, written by the community

27 51.92%
  • No

6 11.54%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Defining LRP/MRP/HRP

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    community doesn't make the best decisions but nor do staff that actually don't play the game in a way it is intended to be played.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With Community defined RP standards its a gamble.

With Staff defined RP standards it will be cat rights and I can already say how those standards would be presented: LRP - Meme. MRP - Not Meme. HPR - Glorified chatroom.

We not only need RP standards, but also bigger lore. I like reading lore, you can see that, I'm fucking roleplaying member of the Brotherhood of Nod, I know history of that organisation better than fucking history of my own country, I know all of the interesting details as well as broad picture. What knowledge I can have from CM lore?
    Aliens, but not aliens, its acceptable in the 80's, lol.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I consider (as someone who plays servers like Bay 12) is that High/MedRP is not necessarily about how chatty you are, but just that you respond and react like a reasonable character in the role that you are playing.

Eg, most people would not deliberately take actions that would get them fired or arrested for no reason, most people would avoid painful or uncomfortable situations, etc.

Where the difference lies is probably more to the extent of how in depth you act like a person in the setting and taking your 'comfort' into account for your actions, for instance, HRP on servers like bay would be considering that you wouldn't really wear a spacesuit all day while doing nothing unless you actually needed it because the spacesuit is probably hot and uncomfortable as fuck.

I would see MRP as just generally acting relatively reasonable for your role, not telling your direct superior to fuck off/stealing the shoes of your bosses bosses bosses boss for no reason

Marines could still have shenanigans, but just likely less often or with more effort in them. Most of the mechanics of cm are too fast paced to be a full roleplay experience anyway imo

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have discussions abour RP standards every fucking month, just get your shit together for once, PLEASE

It's_All_So_Tiresome.jpg
    Vibing as: Dismas Hind.

THE BOIS (And gals)
    https://pastebin.com/DHCmg4nM

Shoutouts to Manezinho for the pixelart

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob Shafton, professional shitter. I want to get in my opinion before opinions are banned.

RP is defined by the community as a reaction to the gameplay. The current meta of rushing through equipment, brief, and dropship is a direct failure of game design. If you want more RP, you can't artificially, stupidly, hamfist it in the existing model, and use god to enforce it. It needs to happens naturally as a direct result of gameplay being modified. Marines are punished for not getting groundside asap. Getting equipment is boring and methodical. Waiting in line isn't fun, it's a waste of time. There's a massive gameplay urgency to get equipment and deploy ASAP, brief is the outlier here, being not critical to your average PFC, so obviously it's the least respected.

The only exception to this is when exceptional individuals give brief.

Take Wakbongo Wind-dingler or whatever his name is. Whenever he's giving brief I usually see it packed, it's entertaining, and he deals with issues IC either himself or with MPs. It's fun and people respect him.

Then you have Generic Mc-Officer, he gets up on stage, stands for five minutes silently, then shits out a wall of text no one wants to read. Everyone in brief gets disgruntled, then the active Admin/Mod starts shitting out threats in MOOC.

Having a Admin/Mod use an act of god to constantly threaten or ban people is a direct failure of game design, not a lack of RP rules. We already have plenty of RP rules. Admin/Mod intervention should obviously only be reserved for situations that can't be solved IC.

We already have issues with the MP/Mod circle jerk going out of their way to punish people in petty ways both IC and OOC.

The only people certain of context situations are the least deserving of writing the standards, people who advocate for MRP and disavow LRP wholly.
    Last edited by Bob; 05-06-2020 at 02:06 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would the community decide the RP or what RP Standards are on CM?

I cannot fathom how the community thinks it's logical that they decide the standards given that as soon as staff became lenient on RP all standards became null and non existent.
    The community cannot describe what the standards are, this is something that needs to be enforced and codified by the staff team as it's clear the community itself will not uphold any RP.

The people voting for the "Community" to decide standards are the exact same people who are LOW/NO RPing already and can't comprehend the issues with this.
    Furthermore, it's clear by almost all the post here that a majority of you don't even understand the varying levels of RP which is fucking shocking and extremely concerning.

Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    With Community defined RP standards its a gamble.
    With Staff defined RP standards it will be cat rights and I can already say how those standards would be presented: LRP - Meme. MRP - Not Meme. HPR - Glorified chatroom.
    Cabal has the most simple explanation to this and is correct.
    Obviously there's more to this other than simply meme/no meme but this is the general idea.
    Last edited by Fewher; 05-06-2020 at 02:00 PM.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fewher View Post
    Why would the community decide the RP or what RP Standards are on CM?

I cannot fathom how the community thinks it's logical that they decide the standards given that as soon as staff became lenient on RP all standards became null and non existent.
    The community cannot describe what the standards are, this is something that needs to be enforced and codified by the staff team as it's clear the community itself will not uphold any RP.

The people voting for the "Community" to decide standards are the exact same people who are LOW/NO RPing already and can't comprehend the issues with this.
    Furthermore, it's clear by almost all the post here that a majority of you don't even understand the varying levels of RP which is fucking shocking and extremely concerning.

Cabal has the most simple explanation to this and is correct.
    Obviously there's more to this other than simply meme/no meme but this is the general idea.
    I probably should have put a 4th option - select community members and staff members work together to establish the RP standards.

Also the community should decide since y'know, they're the ones that actually play the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just L View Post
    What I see the various 'levels of RP ' as:

LRP - Playing a character with minimal effort put into it. You're basically just a faceless background character, or a very generic one. You don't have any particular personality traits and contribute little to the atmosphere or flavor of the round. Constant spouting of memes that aren't fitting for the time period, or talking OOC while IC.
    I think it’s more than that, like Cabal said. 0RP is MRP in a way, because you aren’t doing anything to interfere with the RP of other players. It’s when someone’s actions are disruptive to the round that things fall into that LRP territory. Possibly the largest irony is that most people who say they just want briefing to be over actually end up prolonging it because people have to deal with them being disruptive.

MRP - Playing a character with some effort put into it, even if the character seems somewhat silly. Playing a character that seems fitting for a game based on an 80s action movie. 'Retro scifi' has always been the basis for all SS13 servers, and as such it is consistent with the tone and lore of them to have a character behave as if they are from these pieces of media

Some films that are good to base characters on:
    Robocop
    Total Recall
    Commando
    Predator
    Big Trouble in Little China
    They Live
    Mad Max/Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior
    Die Hard
    Escape from New York
    Raw Force
    Don’t forget Running Man, and perhaps Airplane!
    Goddamn, we need an event where a CLF force led by the Great Humungous happens. “Just walk away, I’ll spare your lives.” We’d need all the vehicles coded though. ALL of them.

I am sure none of us want to go back to the 'MRP' days of first contact, where it was quite literally the same exact roleplay every single round.
    But it might be fun to do it as a single day long event, announced in advance, of course.

Until there is an actual OOC basis for what LRP is, you cannot claim that LRP is not allowed.
    Yeah, this. OOC in IC is already in the server rules, but as far as certain actions go, a simple explanation could suffice to define LRP, such as:
    “Actions that delay or otherwise disrupt the flow of a round, that cannot be reasonably explained IC.”
    This still gives the staff leeway, some may think too much, but the “reasonably” portion should definitely be appealable as far as permanent record/player notes go. Things like “my guy is crazy” would not float since it’s not reasonable that the USCM would field a clinically insane marine, if not for humanity’s sake, then for the lawsuits. But at the same time, if your character is acting quirky, but otherwise isn’t impacting the round, you wouldn’t have to worry.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also the community should decide since y'know, they're the ones that actually play the game.
    No they shouldn't and you're a prime example as to why.
    You delayed a game the other-day simply due to OOC reasons and now you're here claiming people like you should decide on how the standards of a game are set?
    I said "I am going to delay for 20 minutes" after the dropship crashed into the Almayer because the marines delayed for 3 hours at LZ2 on Big Red. I don't know if that was the straw that broke the camel's back or not, though.
    It's this kind of blanket blindness to a problem that reinforces my statement, staff should set the guidelines and not the players.

I've said this so many times when it comes to SS13 and especially CM.
    The playerbase and community don't actually know what they want or whats best for them. Players think about what THEY want individually, not what's best for the server over-all and not what's best for other players. It's an ideological selfish thought process constantly masquerading behind "This is what everyone else wants" which has proven to be divisively false in almost every situation.
    Last edited by Fewher; 05-06-2020 at 04:49 PM.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fewher View Post
    No they shouldn't and you're a prime example as to why.
    You delayed a game the other-day simply due to OOC reasons and now you're here claiming people like you should decide on how the standards of a game are set?

It's this kind of blanket blindness to a problem that reinforces my statement, staff should set the guidelines and not the players.

I've said this so many times when it comes to SS13 and especially CM.
    The playerbase and community don't actually know what they want or whats best for them. Players think about what THEY want individually, not what's best for the server over-all and not what's best for other players. It's an ideological selfish thought process constantly masquerading behind "This is what everyone else wants" which has proven to be divisively false in almost every situation.
    Marines delayed the game for OOC reasons, I did too, albeit for 20 minutes instead of 3 hours. There's not really any difference due to the current gameplay imbalances. And no, I did not say that I should set the guidelines, we should have some of the staff members and some community-selected players/COs/Synths/etc. set the roleplay standards together, that way it is something that we can all agree on instead of being dictated what the rules are by staff, or allowing mob rule by the playerbase.