User Tag List

View Poll Results: How long will this LRP rule stand for?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • couple of months

7 17.95%
  • Years

6 15.38%
  • just a temporary solution to a long term problem

26 66.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long will will the no-LRP rule be enforced before it goes back to LRP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How long will will the no-LRP rule be enforced before it goes back to LRP

There were a ruling back in the day with similar to cut down on LRP on Xeno's hivemind and marine's constant OOC in IC along with other poor behavior. This was two or so years ago I believe when Feweh was an admin. Everyone did get the ban hammer that went against the rule for a short while before it sprawled back into a LRP cesspool.

I am skeptical of this rule that is going to be "enforced" long term. People who are xenos usually go back into lrping and marines have Delta, being "delta's" embrace the LRP side of them in order to keep up them being batshit insane. In my opinion, LRP has become apart of the CM identity which past admins/mods allowed on rounds and announcements until everyone take it too far (the shotgun loadout round).

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    will last till the admins get bored and let it slide again, so 2 weeks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, a xeno hive was LRPing yesterday and the mods came on and told them to stop it or ban.

I would say as long as we got new peeps coming in it will have LRP dangers. Not a lot of games offer that kind of culture. It took me a while to let that culture sink in as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by recounted View Post
    There were a ruling back in the day with similar to cut down on LRP on Xeno's hivemind and marine's constant OOC in IC along with other poor behavior. This was two or so years ago I believe when Feweh was an admin. Everyone did get the ban hammer that went against the rule for a short while before it sprawled back into a LRP cesspool.
    There was a specific meta-group of friends, discords and problem players which I instantly banned and removed during this phase. Apop and I implemented this heavy-handed banning phase to trim problem players (who are always convenient Low-RPers) and bring the server back on-track.

While I was still on the staff team the RP standards where still floating around Low to Medium RP. CM will NEVER be a truly Medium RP server as 75% of the server are Low/No RP players.
    However by encouraging the Roleplayers on the server to actually roleplay and stop the shitty players from ruining their RP we were able to maintain a happy medium of a basic established RP environment.

I do disagree with you though, the server never went to Low-RP during my time at least.

Personally I think the staff are fighting a losing battle.
    2 Years ago monitoring RP was abysmal, tiring and a constant fight with new players who just wanted to pew pew.
    The head staff during my time came up with a few ideas to fix this losing battle, specifically related to enforced RP Mechanics negating a lot of Low RP actions.

A simple example of this was was reduced abilities from Marines ie; Marines couldn't open pill bottles/medical stuff and couldn't operate a lot of engineering mechanics.

While from a distance these mechanics seem stupid, frustrating and illogical. However I believe now a lot of people can see there true intentions where to limit Low-RP Behavior and force interactions in-game ie; Marines had to communicate with doctors for medical and had to ask engineer for help with building things.

This promoted RP by driving in-game communication and furthered team-work.

The staff need to realize (again) that enforcing RP on a moderation level is a losing battle. The only way to enforce RP is to put in Mechanics that encourage RP, encourage players working together and promote players to communicate with each-other.
    Once again another simple example of this were by rules mandating round-start briefings which encouraged teamwork and communication establishing a cohesive unit to deploy with. (briefings now are primarily a hollow No-RP/Low-RP meme fest)

Unfortunately as Staff has been shuffled around in the last few years these ideological ideas have been abandoned and it seems that CM is now coming full circle again.
    I've said it numerous times in the past, if the Dev team isn't producing content to account for the RP standards then there is no way RP can be moderated in hopes players will use this content with their intended RP purposes.

To answer your question though, without RP Mechanics in-place to encourage role-playing this won't last long.
    As I stated earlier, it's extremely exhausting to moderate RP Standards and not feasible. Staff will lose interest in moderating RP eventually and the curve will go down again until it reaches low-rp all over again.
    Last edited by Fewher; 05-08-2020 at 05:11 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what you're saying is that skills exists to force teamwork, and communication, thus roleplay.
    And as for briefing, a twenty minute delay from roundstart until people can actually start playing the game because everyone knows which squad is going to do what anyway.

Now, I know that briefing exists solely to pretty much delay marines deploying so that xenos can do their stuff but the first one is rather iffy.
    There's just not much assurance that a role that has IC skill is backed with an OOC one, which is why you get bad medics, awful cade layouts, surgeries that takes too long, or command staff that doesn't know what they're doing.

And I think this is why the reasoning behind those IC skills meant to promote roleplay is ignored and why players turns into anarcho-syndicalists and denounce command staff, or their IC superiors for most of the time which often gets labeled as "LRP" (yOu wouLdn'T dIsObeY yOUr suPeRIoR oR rIsK geTting fIreD In rEaL lIfE wouLdN't YoU??!?!)
    coupled with the fact that most players just want to play the game instead of dealing with other people's problems, to me that's one of the key reasons why they'd rather spout out memes rather than deal with that.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unhinged retiree boomer man
    Get off my lawn you kids

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does staing mute the entire round as a regular old PFC/Medic/Engineer count as LRP?

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by juliansl View Post
    Does staing mute the entire round as a regular old PFC/Medic/Engineer count as LRP?
    Yup, but in the sense you probably don't think off.

You should communicate, you should say what attachements you want if its your turn in req line, you should say "all good" to a marine you treated, you should report Queen location and such.
    Barebone stuff that has nothing to do with RP and is very close to pure gameplay speak. Marine (especially medic, or engineer) staying always mute on purpose is LRP.

Not engaging into RP is however 0RP and its fine as playing NPC in CM13 isn't ruining somebody else enjoyment more than any other NPC in any other game.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    Snip.
    I was thinking more in the way of, will I get banned for never talking on rounds where I don't feel like it? After all, there's a reason why a helmet and radio isn't mandatory.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by juliansl View Post
    snip
    Nobody will search your logs to tell you that you didn't said enough words this round. Just don't act stupid by never responding to anything. Queen flanks and you are the only PFC who noticed it earlier? No talking, because I'm not feeling like it. FoB breached and only you see it? Not talking, because I'm not feeling like it. Someone drags and CPR's permadead body and you are medic? Not talking, because I'm not feeling like it.

In simple words: Acting like NPC in a game who doesn't say anything unless it notices something important, or is directly asked is fine, this is 0RP, so not LRP.
    Never sending any message in a chat despite anything is LRP in my opinion, because USCM doesn't hire mute people. Less noticable than screaming memes, but nearly as bad.