User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's actually causing all the lag other than players?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's actually causing all the lag other than players?

What's actually causing all the lag on high pop other than say, 200 players.

Is the lag just mainly players or a myriad of issues with the byond engine?

I've noticed high pop lag seems even worse than it was last year. I'd say it's my internet connection at times, but I have a decent internet speed and am also hooked up to my internet via ethernet with a very good computer as well, scanned everyday fully for viruses and what not. Huge stutters where the game stops for me and then resumes five seconds later, etc.

What kind of systems become under stress in CM's code specifically?

Is there any last-resort solutions devs have thought about implementing in the future?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have heard some sprites and audio bugs were causing majority of the lag, this was a couple of weeks ago, however.
    ----------------
    The real question is why is Soro,CORSAT and ICE are lag heavens compared to Solaris and LV?
    Aden Cooper

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could be a product of all the subsystems and shit humans have but eh
    Nathon Stafford-Sunglasses wearing Delta L42 kiter man. Sometimes a Captain.
    Benedict-Praiser of Jesus, healer of marines, killer of Queens.
    Kahn'Ikesh-Blooded Hunter and great grandson of Gor'don Ram-sey
    (pfp by Manezinho)
    medals:https://pastebin.com/xiCJLuhz
    Mapper since 12/29/2020
    Had dev role assasinated on 8/2/21

Synth Councilor as of 2/5/21 along with Jakk, Frogzeke, Yukonsnow, and Flpls
    DM what#3954 for help with Synth Applications

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Benomains despite being only 13% of server population constitute 50% of lag.

Dev/Admemes say that "things constantly changing" (processing) generate lag, not just multiple things existing. With sentry lags it was sound that they were generating (supposedly), so I guess with both benos and rines is kinda the same.
    Each human (and I guess monkeys/yirens/other creatures) and benos (at the round end you have, or had "random facts" like PFC Bald McUnga processed 420 nutrients before dying to Mateba and sometimes beno name is shown) constantly process nutrients, most likely constantly breathe (if you go to space, or you are choked, you get oxy damage so probably oxygen is processed too).
    Each "ChArGe!!!!!!!!!!!111111 and "*scream" and "*pain"" plays random sound, each "*rOaR" and "*tail" and *help generates sound, each opened door, each attacked weed, or beno wall... It all generates sound.
    Every beno node has animation, entire space texture that is everywhere around Almayer, other Z levels and around borders of maps has animation.
    Every human and beno getting damage bleeds on the floor (in terms of humans, blood has to be processed alongside nutrients), each bullet and each slash and each explosion and each flame is RNG, so the server has to roll the dice with each slash, tick, or projectile. To this day we have for some reason flame RNG and "soakness?" despite it not serving any other purpose than to just being unconsistant.
    Each bullet and each slash and each explosion is applied against armor, so server does the equation.

The more players there is, the more shit needs to be processed. Despite what dev/admemes say, maps strongly seem to affect lags. LV, or BR at 14:00 doesn't lag like a WHORESAT, or sorok.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    motion detectors

might also have something to do with byond's code, DM, being single-threaded
    Last edited by Corocan; 05-09-2020 at 01:36 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think its all the bullet casings, blood/gore splash, acid, shrapnel, glass, flares, weed..etc, these things snowball over time to cause massive lag

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's pretty much byond being a old outdated engine that isn't really supposed to handle 200+ the blood on the ground doesn't really cause hardly any lag I think it's mostly due to audio and other issues

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cimo View Post
    I think its all the bullet casings, blood/gore splash, acid, shrapnel, glass, flares, weed..etc, these things snowball over time to cause massive lag
    Nothing creates bullet casings anymore from a long time. Maybe outside SADAR that leaves little pieces you can pick up, "z" use and get metal sheets.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Cheeks View Post
    It's pretty much byond being a old outdated engine that isn't really supposed to handle 200+ the blood on the ground doesn't really cause hardly any lag I think it's mostly due to audio and other issues
    Devmemes said that not just the blood lying on the floor, but stepping on fresh and making blood prints everywhere.

Retired Manager
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i heard things like overlays cause most lag, like health overlay etc.

if you have 200 players there's a lot of processing to do for medical stuff

that is why they removed infections
    Former staff, also former Synthetic senator.

Now just a shitposter and lurker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds is apparently a huge part of it too, which is kinda confusing, since you’d think sounds would be rendered on the client side of things, and thus not cause such a strain on server resources, but BYOND is a janky mess, so who knows how the hell it’s done.

To BYOND’s credit though, it wasn’t designed for this. Which makes the CM Dev code wizardry all the more impressive for being able to make CM do what it does.