Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Urytion - Commander Application

Commander Whitelist Application
    Byond ID?
    Urytion

Player Name You Use Most?
    Tracee "Quick Clot" Parker

Make a list of links to all of your applications and (job)ban appeals, including whitelist and staff apps, within the last year. Also, provide "Ban reason; Verdict" beside each (job)ban link
    None in the last year

Have you received any ban within the last month? How long was it and what for?
    No.

Do you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

How do you view the tool of Battlefield Execution to be used? What circumstances do you think it would be necessary to BE a member of the crew? Where do you think the Battlefield Execution Mechanic Differs from regular Execution and why?
    The BE is a tool to remove a player from the game immediately. This should only be done in the event they are: Actively undermining command (advocating mutiny, deliberately giving contradictory orders), being a threat to the ship (C4ing everything), being a threat to the mission (as above), or being a threat to command (actively attacking members of the command staff).

The key difference between the BE and the normal execution is that the BE is entirely in the hands of the CO, and it is immediate. There is no investigation, no fiddling with timers to see if it adds up to 60 minutes, no appeal. The CO just whips out the mateba and handles it. That's why it's so important to ensure there's a very strong reason for doing it.

I don't intend to use BE much, if at all. There are better ways of removing a player from the game if there are being an issue. A lot of the reasons for doing it can be an OOC issue, and all of them are obviously illegal. I would prefer to call the MPs on them, or ahelp.

How will your Commanding Officer run his/her ship? Provide a detailed explanation on how he would handle situations that might commonly occur such as, a insubordinate Req, Engineering, MP, or Command Staff
    Tracee is lazy, hedonistic, rude, and abusive. "Run the ship" implies she has any intention of doing even the smallest amount work. She would much rather leave the work to the SOs and the other command staff, while she gets to enjoy her high pay and near unlimited command (in her eyes) over HER vessel. I (as a player) fully intend to step in and do whatever is needed to keep the round going. If there's no other command staff, I will step in, and I will work req if there's no req, but I will always try to find someone else to do it for me. This is not only for an RP reason, but also because I want to give other roles the opportunity to play, and I personally dislike micromanagement from up on high. At best she'll sit at her desk with her tablet, looking over the map, and occasionally berate a squad for the incompetence of the day. She'll also avoid deployment at all costs, because in case you haven't heard, people die down there.

My first assumption on any insubordination is always going to be (IC) incompetence. After all, we're the Falling Falcons! We're the best marines in the sector!... who had nothing else going on and so were available at the time. With that in mind, my first action would always be to send the SEA, XO, or an SO down to fix the issue (with an LOOC request to help them out), while berating them over the radio of course. If it's new CIC player, I'll mentor them myself. If they are being genuinely insubordinate, I'll call the MPs to arrest the largest offender. That may be the department head if they're being insub, or the most vocal and active proponent. Arresting the whole department is a waste, and not fun for anyone, and also might result in me having to do some work, and that would just be horrible.

The only department this differs in is the MPs. The rules are pretty ironclad on MPs, in that they must listen to the CO's lawful orders, and they cannot break marine law. I would warn them IC and LOOC that what they're doing is against the rules. If it keeps up, I would order the arrest of the offending MP/s and ahelp. If it was the CMP, I would fax High Command first.

What do you think is the job of a Commander?
    The IC job of the commander is to work "the big picture". They run the ship, they draft the battle plans, they ensure every department is running smoothly. They should work to ensure victory and minimise losses. They should also work with the CL to keep the corporation happy, within reason.

OOC, the job of the commander is to make the round more interesting. This means keeping the game from turning into a senseless slaughter or mind numbingly dull 4 hour slog. It could also mean having a bit of fun with the deployment, by assigning individuals to custom roles, or using an unusual strategy.

As a player what do you think could be added for Commanding Officer to benefit the role?
    More ways to influence the round without admin's say so. Maybe they could spawn an instrument from their uniform locker to give to the "regimental bugler", or create a 5th squad to overwatch from their tablet.

A proper way to link the tac map.

Helmcams for SLs from the tablet.

More uniform options. Slouch hats, kilts, swagger sticks, kepis, to name some fun ones.

What do you think you could contribute by being whitelisted?
    I am a long time veteran of this game, and have played since back in the Sulaco days. I've been around long enough to see how the game shifts and keep up to date with the changes.

I also play in a relatively lowpop timezone (Australia), where the influence of a CO might help break the monotony of lowpop.

Your story (potential topics listed below)
    Tracee Parker was never the most... enthusiastic... officer cadet. She breezed through training, floating around the bottom of her class, and engaging in all sorts of mischief. Drunken escapades, illegal drugs, her tendency to hit on anything with a pulse... any one of these would be enough to see her off with a dishonourable discharge, if not for her one great gift: Her ability to miraculously get out of trouble. She always seem to have an innate gift to tell when a superior was looking over her shoulder, or who in the group might rat her out to the OC. With this unique talent, she managed to graduate, and over time, was given command of the Corvette, USS Owain. Over her years aboard the Owain, she managed to phase out most of the old crew, and replace them with her buddies from her time as a cadet.

10 years after her training, Commander Parker lounged lazily in her command chair, eyes closed, smiling lazily to herself. She had her boots up on the desk and a can of fruit beer half filled in her hand. Today was was a good day. She had won her last hand of poker against the RO, the CMO had just brewed up hallucinogenics, and she had lined up a date with a cute Lieutenant Commander from the 8th Regiment once she returned to Earth.

Also there was a war going on or something, but her Staff Officers were handling that so she was fine to indulge herself a little. A buzz over the radio tore her from her happy slumber. "Commander? An Admiral... Blackthorn just submitted a docking request." "An Admiral? Out here? Nah nah... double check the credentials, and then fuckin' arrest 'em for impersonating a member of the admiralty." Tracee yawned. Disturbing her nap was... unacceptable. As she pondered the legality of declaring disrupting her beauty sleep a breach of military law, an image appeared on her HUD. A complete set of admiralty credentials, and a docking order signed by the Sky Marshal.

"OOOOOO SHIT. Lieutenant Lewis, go greet the Admiral! Commander Duncan, dismantle the bar in your office! Doctor Grant, TOILET THE LSD! WE HAVE LIKE 5 MINUTES UNTIL THE ADMIRAL SHITCANS US! LET'S MOVE PEOPLE! WE CAN STILL SALVAGE MY COMMA-THIS SHIP!" Tracee stood up, frantically looking around the room. Where had she left her sword? Was it in the toilet again? No wait, it was by the vending machine. Her beret... her beret was on the regimental mascot, Mr. Bark Bark. He was last seen in the kitchen. Right. Okay. This was workable. She sprinted out of the room towards the mess. Her beret was covered in dog hair, not at all suitable for presentation to an admiral. Her sword was right where she had left it... 3 days ago. "Lieutenant Jones! Do you have your beret?" "Yes sir!" The young, promising lieutenant ran forward to show off his pride, a clean beret with a freshly polished insignia badge. "Right, I need it. Trade."

She sprinted back to her office, a finely decorated wooden room, fit for a commanding officer aboard a vessel. It was also full of empty beer cans, pill bottles, and a pizza box from two weeks ago. All of this was quickly hidden under the bed. She impatiently tapped her intercom "GRANT! Where the fuck is my Ethylredoxazine?" "Second drawer, Commander!" Downing the pill, she tapped her headset. "All command staff to my office to receive the Admiral. Only speak when spoken to."

Admiral Blackthorn, a tall, broad, imposing man with a long white beard, entered the room, and the command staff sprang to attention with a crisp salute. "Ah, Commander Parker. A pleasure! Always good to see such a well run ship!" Tracee hid a small smile. Her crew had been well trained. Her engineers could disassemble a rage cage in 2 minutes if they needed to. "Welcome aboard the USS Owain, Admiral Blackthorn. To what do we owe the pleasure?"

"Well Commander, I was hoping you could clarify a few points in the ship's latest report..." Tracee shot a quick glance at her RO, who simply shrugged. "Is it true you lead an operation above LV-176, and successfully liberated the entire colony from the CLF without a single casualty?" Tracee sighed quietly. Lieutenant Jones looked up from behind. "Permission to speak, Commander?" "Denied, Jones. Why yes, that was me, Admiral."

"Outstanding work, Commander! And then you managed to extract the location of a major CLF stronghold from the captured prisoners of war?" Oh yeah, she had. Extracted by extremely illegal torture, but extracted nonetheless. "Well yes, Admiral, I thought it would assist in the ongoing war."

"Admiral, I really must ask permission to speak!" squeaked Lieutenant Jones. The Admiral rounded on him, red in the face. "HOW DARE YOU BREAK YOUR COMMANDER'S ORDERS!? YOU WILL SPEAK WHEN YOU ARE SPOKEN TO BOY, NOW GET OUT OF HERE BEFORE I HAVE YOU SCRUBBING TOILETS ON A STATION!"

Tracee sighed another sigh of relief. Her luck and ability to escape trouble had saved her once again. Lieutenant Jones was responsible for her victory on LV-176. She was too busy trying to arrange a band for her 10th year in command anniversary. "That one is very insubordinate, Admiral. I suggest he be posted to... perhaps the USS Lemety, I hear they'll be flying deep into unknown space soon." "An interesting proposal, Commander, I'll give it some thought. Now, as to why I'm here... given your exemplary record, and your adherence to the highest standards of the military, High Command has seen fit to bestow upon you the rank of Captain. You will be placed aboard the USS Almayer, and in command of the Falling Falcons Regiment."

Tracee stopped, her mouth agape. The Falling Falcons? "Admiral, aren't those the ones that had half a platoon in the brig at once for drunk and disorderly? The regiment that once OB'd an unknown lifeform before realising it was their regimental mascot? The crew that once distributed cocaine to all their marines claiming it was a 'combat stimulant'? The same regiment that coined the term 'Unga'?" Admiral Blackthorn grinned. "Yes! You know them! We were hoping that someone with your record might be able to help straighten them out! Teach them a thing or two about discipline!"

She was going to be sent across the galaxy, to the most incompetent, corrupt, lazy, regiment ever known to exist in the history of the USCM. A grin spread across her face. "Thank you for the opportunity admiral. I look forward to taking command."

Do you understand that you cannot advertise your application on any public platform for votes. Do you also understand you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes

Whitelisted Captain 50RemAndCounting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you view pardons and how would your CO use them?

Why do you think your intended roleplay style will positively contribute to a round?

How stressful/demanding do you feel the job of a CO is?

Should you ever take your rp too far, what crime under the (new) marine law would it constitute and what would be the punishment for said crime?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RemAndCounting View Post
    How do you view pardons and how would your CO use them?

Why do you think your intended roleplay style will positively contribute to a round?

How stressful/demanding do you feel the job of a CO is?

Should you ever take your rp too far, what crime under the (new) marine law would it constitute and what would be the punishment for said crime?
    Sparingly, to say the least. I don't see pardons in a very positive light, because it allows a CO to effectively overrule marine law. The laws are there for a reason, and the vast majority of them are pretty hard to break unless you're really trying. On an RP level, I would use pardons for two things. One, pardoning things I found amusing and non-threatening, such as funny DASO or very minor assault (punch the CL for being a nerd, hilarious). Two, pardoning essential personnel (SLs, specs, heads of departments, doctors during crises) of minor crimes that didn't impact the running of the ship.

I think it will bring a certain amount of comedy into a round, without being too LRP or relying heavily on gimmicks. It plays into the common player head canon of our platoon being woefully inept. It also gives me some room to involve requisitions and medical in my shenanigans, which I have noticed is often lacking in other CO lead mini-events/gimmicks.

Commanding can be very stressful, regardless of the person's actual rank/role. Marines blame you for all sorts of things, you're following 5 or 6 conversations at once, and you may have things going on in real life as well. I can only see CO being even more stressful because the buck stops with you.

Well, it's certainly intoxication, neglect of duty, contraband, and failure to follow procedure. If it got way out of hand you could probably successfully argue for desertion. I fully expect that if I go too hard on it and get caught out, I'll be perma-brigged.
    Last edited by Urytion; 05-10-2020 at 12:33 PM. Reason: I missed a line. Whoops.

Whitelisted Captain 50RemAndCounting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget all the crimes you mentioned together would result in you being demoted and removed from command as well. And be mindful with pardoning "essential personnel" - specs and SLs abuse this all the time and believe they're above the law. Otherwise good answers.

I'll be real with you, your RP is total mutiny bait and truthfully, with how most COs play out, you won't stand out from the average CO that storms out of CIC to do something inexplicable for majority of the round. So I expect you will play more or less like the average CO with the added bonus of being mutinied a bit more often than usual.

But your app is good and you're a very competent and experienced player. Looking forward to see you COlose your CO roll to the CM's superior australian.

+1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Babe.... good luck and you are competent executive officer +1.

Community Mentor
    11-14-2019

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen you around long enough that I don't need to really ask you any questions, I know you'll do a good job. The story was funny too.

"OOC, the job of the commander is to make the round more interesting. This means keeping the game from turning into a senseless slaughter or mind numbingly dull 4 hour slog. It could also mean having a bit of fun with the deployment, by assigning individuals to custom roles, or using an unusual strategy. "

This also lets me know that you're not going to just be another boring CO who acts in a 'sensible military man' style, you want the rounds to be fun.

+1

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Honestly I am concerned about your occasional temper issues but you've played for a long time and aren't banned, jbanned, anything that I'm aware of.

In terms of your BE answer (the thing I am the most concerned about, especially with someone with occasional temper issues ICly (I assume this is mostly you playing a character but the way you act in Dchat says otherwise to me)

Being a threat to command is more than actively attacking members of command staff, it could extent to scenarios listed in the following.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Story is nothing good or bad, a bit short for my taste but afterall it is just a CO story at the end of the day and yours does the job enough.

And remember, view the BE as a tool to PRIMARILY deal with LRP threats 90 percent of the time.

Just don't fuck up a BE

Hate to say this but +1

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1

Good app, active ingame/discord, and I think you got what it takes. I’ve had you as my XO once or twice when I went CO, you were active over announcements and kept the men informed. The only real complaint I have is to be more communicative with Command staff especially our SO's, though that could’ve just been a one time thing, as the other rounds where I was your subordinate that issue didn’t seem to be a big deal.

Regardless, good luck, and here’s to you joining the ranks of CO.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mightaswell give this the +1. Goodluck!
    Nathon Stafford-Sunglasses wearing Delta L42 kiter man. Sometimes a Captain.
    Benedict-Praiser of Jesus, healer of marines, killer of Queens.
    Kahn'Ikesh-Blooded Hunter and great grandson of Gor'don Ram-sey
    (pfp by Manezinho)
    medals:https://pastebin.com/xiCJLuhz
    Mapper since 12/29/2020
    Had dev role assasinated on 8/2/21

Synth Councilor as of 2/5/21 along with Jakk, Frogzeke, Yukonsnow, and Flpls
    DM what#3954 for help with Synth Applications

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unusual strats? SOLD! +1
    PS. We need more low pop CO's and since I saw you around a lot in various roles and situation. In fact, I'm surprised you're not whitelisted, because when I just started playing CM you already were around.