User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why have certain devs stopped interacting with the community?

Whitelisted Predator MarpleJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShakeEZ View Post
    the community is trash and 99% of people have no concept of balance at all and whine about everything.
    Like him or not, he's spitting straight facts.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarpleJones View Post
    Like him or not, he's spitting straight facts.
    I think that was one of the nicest things a member of this community has ever said to me.

Retired Manager
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    because being dev is a thankless job, just like being a part of moderation team is. people in this game feel entitled to yell and be toxic to devs because they don't like some things. they also think they know the best but somehow fail to portray their feedback in a constructive manner and resort to being toxic, thus making themselves look like idiots.

some people's feedback is useful and devs sometimes listen, sometimes don't. but you got the toxic, vocal minority to thank if devs decide to just completely retract from the community altogether
    Former staff, also former Synthetic senator.

Now just a shitposter and lurker.

Whitelisted Predator MarpleJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a more serious note, it is not as if developers ignore the playerbase entirely. I've used countless of opportunities to reach out to developers with suggestions outside of GitLab, and that with considerable responses. A year ago, when the research role was a shambly mess with barely any content (compared to now), I made a forum post merely detailing small-scale suggestions and things I would love to see. And the first person to respond was TobiNerd, who back then was just a developer interested in creating something more interesting out of the barebones role which research was. To this very day, I share ties with him, give him direct feedback, even if the feedback goes through the filter of my subjective view.

At times, I even ask him to delete marines from the code, to which he responds with El, Psy, Congroo. I know it's a reference, but I think he intends to delete the human race instead...

What was I talking about again? Oh, yeah. Listen, people. Developers are the hamsters which make the cogs spin, and the machines work. If you don't like how your light bulb is 'blue' instead of 'teal', then you shouldn't take them out of their wheels and show them how you'd spin the disk with your fingers. Instead, give them food and water, groom them, keep them as pets, and one day, perhaps they won't murder you in your sleep.

I think this took a wrong turn. So much for the 'serious part', must've drifted midway through.

To all developers:
    Last edited by MarpleJones; 05-13-2020 at 11:14 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i can't wait for the base to go open source so everyone can post their PRs to change the aspects of the game they dislike and better the server as a whole

can't wait to see it not happen lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I have to say, is that even if I could code and sprite like a god, I don’t think I would. Because the community is fairly toxic, and I’m not a big enough person to avoid the knee-jerk reaction of putting things into the game solely to spite certain people who have wronged me. A lot of us don’t appreciate that the Devs don’t just have skills in the programming arena, they also have skins thicker than what you’d find on your typical whale. It’s got to suck that they have to put up with us constantly telling them how to spend their free time, and then commenting on their performance, as if they were getting a quarterly review or something. “This thing you spent 400 hours on is crap, please change/remove/add.” Well, that’s a kick in the teeth, isn’t it? Eh, we’re all entitled to opinions, but the Devs definitely deserve more credit than they receive. If any of them have chosen to withdraw from the gnashing beast that is this community, I don’t fault them for it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Cake appreciated.

People here have pretty much gotten it right.

I can only speak for my own perspective, as I can not read the thoughts of other devs. But in general we are very selective about how and who we communicate with in the community. The simple reason being that there's quite a history of developers quitting the team because they got buried in a grave of salt spawned by the community. None of us want to go down that same path because we love being here and working on this project, so we isolate ourselves from where we expect to be faced with player toxicity.

We are all working for free, yet often work up to 30 hours a week on development each. The same you expect from a full-time job. But, we all still have another life outside of CM, which is its own stressful world. Ideally, we do not want the stress from our life outside of CM to affect the work we do here, and vice versa. Thus we take care in managing our stress and deal with the community in the way that is the least stressful approach to us possible. That's why we prefer that people make suggestions in a neutral, objective, constructive and reasonable manner on GitLab. Sending a dev hateful and unconstructive rants is just going to make you get ignored and make said dev annoyed. I read every post on Gitlab that's related to anything I am actively developing (General Mapping, Research, Ordnance Techs), but rarely give those posts a second thought if they're not written in an ideal manner. Additionally, I personally, have my own list of people that I trust to receive feedback from privately on Discord. Because I know those people show active interest and play with the features I develop, and because they have a good history of providing constructive feedback on GitLab, forums, Discord etc. I simply don't care about private messages that are not from people who make it onto that list. Reading feedback from outside of these selected sources of mine, and well written GitLab suggestions, would simply be too damaging to my mental state.

There is no dedicated community manager because no one wants that role. You can probably imagine why.

If the community want devs to communicate with them, the community must also make it an environment that the devs want to communicate in.

If you want a dev to make changes to fit your ideal game state, then you need to support that dev, not drag them down. Because if that dev was not there, then there wouldn't even be the possibility of the game approaching what your ideal state is.

When a dev does communicate with you: listen to them. Try to understand their perspective as someone who is trying to work for the benefit of the community as a whole, but only have enough time to do so much. We need to use our limited time to make the game fun for everybody, not just you.

But all this is not to say that we do not want to talk to the community. If you approach us in a casual manner and simply want to talk to us not as devs, but as fellow players, we are usually quite open to conversation.
    Last edited by TobiNerd; 05-17-2020 at 12:11 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After the rav balance, I wouldn't want anyone to know I'm a small brain too.