Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Effective Mortar and CAS usage?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Effective Mortar and CAS usage?

Just like in the title.
    Do you have any tips how to make CAS/Mortar effective as a spotter?
    Some basic rules or tips to improve chances for good hits?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firstly, you gotta have competent shooters. If the mortar guy takes ages to fire, it's not gonna be good.

On a second note, there are many ways to improve the chances of "GOOD HITS!". For CAS, if the pilot loaded fatties, you need to coordinate greatly. Tell him to tell you when he fires, so you can drop the laser so dumby dumb dumb xenos think they can't fire on that position, but little do they know a big fat ass rocket is coming for them. For firemissions, try to hide the laser, behind walls, behind shipping containers(on LV) etc. Also, when you hear the strafing sound, drop the laser, maybe it will confuse the xenos.

For mortar, if the xenos are pushing hard and you are retreating, get coords of the xenos' current position and retreat. If you're behind cades and the xenos are sieging, hitting and running, get coords BEHIND them, on their retreat path. See that fucking prae coming to harass the cades? "Mortar, fire". Most of the times, you'll hit when he retreats. Yes, that requires great coordination.

Remember, in most of the cases you're gonna be in, you're gonna want to aim behind them. Also, CAS and mortar are mostly use to scare the shit out of the xenos so you can advance, even a bit. Don't expect every gun-run or mortar shell to hit. Do your best, and you might even get a medal.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    CAS Veteran here. Basically, you must know what you're doing. Second, try to anticipate marine's paths and actions.

But papa Hunk, why marines?

Because marines are shitlords that will push when you're lasing for CAS and anticipating their moves will prevent a LOT of FF.

Most of my firemissions are Gib-Able so i don't like gibbing marines.
    and i returned, and left. and returned again 19/06/2022, this is my life now.

Former Moderator Trainer. If you have any questions regarding Moderation Duties, feel free to DM me: Hunk1#9842

A bigger truth has never been spoken.

Props to nanu for the picture.

My Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just do what metagaming shitlord spotters do and constantly spam lasers without any intent of calling in strikes to force xenos to back off without expending ordinance. That's far more dangerous to xenos coordination and momentum than whatever damage might be done by even a decent CAS run or mortar strike.

But like ladwhy says, mortars especially are like grenades: aim behind xenos. If they're static, this will give you a better chance of catching the dumb ones that don't listen to callouts. If they're skirmishing, this will either encourage them to back off without doing damage, will catch them as they're rotating back if they didn't notice it, or will force them to over-commit and take more damage on the front to avoid the strike. The only problem is coordination.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One strat that can work well if you have good coordination is chaining a mortar strike into a CAS run. That way xenos listen for the mortar and run straight into the CAS. This works espescially well in long hallways like in the filt caves entrance or Prison.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Dice View Post
    Just do what metagaming shitlord spotters do and constantly spam lasers without any intent of calling in strikes...
    To be fair this strategy only works if the xenos are metagaming as well, so it's fair game.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by juliansl View Post
    To be fair this strategy only works if the xenos are metagaming as well, so it's fair game.
    Only if they haven't been mortar'd/CAS'd already.

Senior Admin & Whitelist Overseer Fortelian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate_bickie View Post
    Only if they haven't been mortar'd/CAS'd already.
    But once you see xenos run away before the hit, it isn't metagaming anymore since you know that they know.
    Last edited by Fortelian; 05-20-2020 at 09:07 PM.
    Salvador Kepplinger - President of Andorra
    LOV3 - The friendly Bean.
    Senior mentor

Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortelian View Post
    But once you see xenos run away before the hit, it isn't metagaming anymore since you know that they know.
    So we get to play as the ESP institute from Civ?
    “I know what you’re thinking.”
    “I know that you know what I’m thinking.”
    “I know that you know that I know what you’re thinking.”
    Ad infinitum.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If calling in CAS fire missions(IE not fatty) make sure to hide laser and guess MARINE AND XENO path of escape. Xenos can hear the CAS coming so you want to make sure they wont do anything like escape properly and marines are just retarded. Same with mortar. Take note if your just using CAS to clear an area, such as you just want to destroy fortifications to make it easier to push them hiding the laser is less important isnt it?

General rule though, play both sides to figure out how long it takes fire missions to work and how xenos react. You got to think like the bug to properly guess where to squish the bug.

Also lastly, accept the FF. As long as some aliens died it is a net plus. If marines want to keep charging when you got 3+ aliens ready to get killed well, they died for good cause. IE https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...WeHaveReserves
    Last edited by Pigeon; 05-21-2020 at 02:09 PM.