May 18, 2020
    Your Character Name?
    Titus Voltheron
    Their BYOND Key
    Hunk1
    Approximate time and date of the incident
    20:30 Central US
    Which Staff Protocols (//showthrea...-and-Protocols) were broken
    - We're a server focused on the enjoyment of the players. As long as the players are having a blast and not every single rule is being broken, it's okay to let some things slide here and there.

I was IC'ly dealing with an SL who was being generally disrespectful and uncooperative with the CO, the latter of whom's enjoyment of the round was being harmed.

- Ensure that all incidents are adequately investigated before giving a ruling.

I am unsure if this exactly the subsection to cite. Hunk1 told me that I had improperly applied a Disrespecting A Superior Officer (DASO) charge. I disagree, hence this report.
    Description of the incident
    I will start off by saying I am very tired and may misremember slight details, since things got heated and happened very quickly.

I was roundstart CMP and the CO was CPT Orlando "Florida" Blackburn (I think. I can't remember your last name exactly. Apologies). CO's gig for the round was to do a special small-audience briefing in CIC with the SL's at 12:17.

As CMP I keep squad comms on to monitor the good or bad behavior of squads. Keep this in mind.

12:17 rolls around and Alpha SL just flat out wasn't there. I don't remember exactly what his and CO's exchange was, but the SL basically said "I'll be there when I'm ready." The CO had already told me to let it go regarding the Delta SL similarly blowing him off, so over MP comms I told him, respectfully, that I wanted his green light before dealing with the Alpha SL.

He gave it, and I found the guy on his way to CIC. I think to myself, "Ok, I've been late to PT 'cause crap happens. Maybe he was showing someone how to light a flamer." So I told him to just apologize over comms to the CO and get his act together.

Dude ignores my command, blows me off and keeps walking. Still keeps walking when I follow him. So I flash him to make him stand still and tell him plainly that he either performs the apology or goes to the brig.

It's like I'm invisible; the guy keeps going. So I tase him and execute the new arrest procedures. I gave him the courtesy of telling him his charges right then and there. The whole time CO and I had been interacting with him, he had been talking to us like we were his equals when he wasn't talking to us like he was the boss.

I gave him insubordination for not following the CO's briefing order (I will mention here that the CO had repeatedly mentioned this 12:17 briefing over comms. No way was anyone unaware of it). I also gave him a DASO charge for how dismissive and generally disrespectful he had been to the CO and myself over the whole episode. Never once calling us "sir," or once otherwise talking to us like commissioned officers, was just a small aspect of why I applied DASO.

To be clear, the biggest, most #1 reason I applied a DASO charge to this SSGT was because of the dismissive attitude and ignoring towards the CO and myself.

A lot of time passes and I thought that was the end of it after I released SSGT Hot Shot from brig. Hunk1 bwoinks me asking about the charges. It happens sometimes when someone gets really upset, and as I told the last guy to bwoink me I always have time to speak to staff.

No issue with the insub charge, of course. Yet for the DASO one I told him it had been over ignoring the CO and myself and also for failing to observe his customs and courtesies, which is the US Army doctrinal term for how enlisted people ought treat officers, or lower officers higher ones.

He tells me I have broken rule 3, don't be a dick, hinging his reasoning on the customs and courtesies part of my explanation.

Leaving aside my main reasoning being the ignoring and dismissing the CO and CMP, I'm really confused about the ruling he gave me. Since when can officers in CM not assert their right to proper respect?

He said a lot of things about the RP of the server in general, namely that it's MRP and, implicitly, that I was treating it in a HRP fashion.

I have to say, as a commissioned US Army officer, how is officers demanding basic respect HRP? Even the most inept Hollywood war flick gets the "sir" part right.

Yes, obviously, officer players don't constantly demand to be called sir. I don't do it. No one does it. I didn't demand it from the unga bunga who'd busted a window I was talking to when Hunk1 bwoinked me. But when your battalion CO over the radio, and later his CMP to your face, is discussing your misconduct and you talk to them like you don't have time for them, and tp TOP IT OFF you don't include "sir/ma'am" at the end or beginning, that is IC'ly shitbag tier behavior. Which I thought we were IC'ly liable for what we did IC.

ML (Nanu edition, the one I am informed is in effect at time of writing) states for DASO: "Using offensive names or being directly disrespectful to someone of a Commissioned Officer of higher rank or position."

He was dismissive at the CO and spoke to him like he didn't have time for his battalion commander. He frickin' turned his back and walked away from me while I was speaking to him about official business. I interpreted this as direct disrespect and applied a DASO charge in combination with the clearcut insubordination one.

I was told that was in violation of rule 3 because I mentioned my ancillary reasoning that the Alpha SL was throughout this episode not rendering basic respect to officers.

I disagree, per above.
    Evidence
    CPT Orlando "Florida" Blackburn's player was a direct witness to all the radio chats I had access to. He was, more importantly, attuned to the atmosphere of disrespect this SL brought on.
    How you would punish the accused
    Clarification to the community about DASO charges. I am aware of the current flux ML is in, and am not aware of Hunk1's conduct at all prior to now.

The removal of the note I'm certain I got for being a dick.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just a heads up, You weren't noted at all.

Look, it seems i wasn't clear enough on PMs so i will try explain more.

Rule 2. Roleplay - CM-SS13 is intended to be a Medium Roleplay server. Play a reasonably realistic character. Treat your character as a separate entity from you, the player. Your character's actions, feelings, and knowledge in-game should be based solely on the character's experiences and not your own as the player. Low roleplay actions that have no regard for your character or the setting (Memes, silly copypaste spam IC) are not acceptable. Character development can occur over rounds but each round is a soft-reset, meaning you can have previous mission experience but your character will never have died or fled the ship in the past. Both Marines and Xeno know of the others existence, but this does not guarantee every round is Marine vs Xeno (IE: Human vs Human events can still happen without you being aware). Follow the Roleplay Standards.

You cannot force people to Roleplay with you, we have standards, if people are following standards, we cannot force them to go "yes sir" "no sir". Although i am super favor of Milsim RP and I strongly encourage by doing it.

However as CMP application of Charge DASO because he ignored you or simple don't replied with courtesy is dickish, "Resisting Arrest" would be more acceptable than that, at any point i said you were wrong in his arrest.

I investigate the whole point and asked you about the charges because the player arrested in question was a late game joiner, 13 minutes after him joining in, a insub charge was placed and wanted to bring alpha squad into mutiny, and we don't allow mutinies to happen before first drop, instead, i oriented the arrested person to fill a IC complaint and i would be dealt with it ICly, but till the time of my logoff, no faxes were recieved.

You could had asked me if you were noted first.

TL;DR: You nor either ANY CMP or MP can arrest people for not replying with courtesy, doing that is "soft-griefing" and staff can intervene in those cases.

Now allow me to clarify for you the Insubordination Charge:

Failing to follow a lawful order from a superior person of rank or position. Or disrespecting someone of a higher rank or position that is not an officer.

Illegal orders do not need to be followed.
    Minor:
    An order which is not personally directed at you. Or disrespecting someone of a higher rank or position that is not an officer.
    Major:
    An order personally directed at you.

I don't see lack of replies with "yes sir" "no sir" as Insubordination or Disrespect, and attemping to charge someone with this for this sole reason, is essentially powertripping, this is why i came to you chatting thru PMs and since the Insub charge was Valid and issued by a Captain, i didn't intervened nor noted you and i left at PMs.

I am not saying that you're wrong for HRPing it, I am totally in favour of you doing that, myself am i HRPer and i was admin from HRP server named Hypatia back in 2014-2015, i am saying this, if you are HRPing and you try to use your role to force people into HRP, you'll get yourself in trouble.
    and i returned, and left. and returned again 19/06/2022, this is my life now.

Former Moderator Trainer. If you have any questions regarding Moderation Duties, feel free to DM me: Hunk1#9842

A bigger truth has never been spoken.

Props to nanu for the picture.

My Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey there. I am the CO in question. I explicitly stated multiple times over command announcements, command comms, AND each squad's individual comms channel that briefing would be at 12:17 in CIC. All the other squad leaders were able to attend on time, even if I had to remind the Delta SL a few times of it, but the Alpha SL was being pretty rude and was just like "Yeah I'll get there when I can" or something like that. Alpha's smartgunner came to CIC instead since I assume he saw that his SL was going to get into some shit, and briefing proceeded normally.

I do not see the issue with the Alpha SL being arrested for two crimes that he committed. I gave the order for the CMP to arrest the alpha SL, and the CMP cannot ignore crimes from what I recall reading, so the CMP arrested the alpha SL for the crimes he committed.

If there is any sort of issue with the order I gave, I would appreciate it if Hunk would take it up with me instead of the CMP, who is forced to comply with my orders as long as they follow marine law—someone else was recently job banned from CMP for not following a direct order from the CO, so noting someone for this seems extremely bizarre.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also it seems that hunk's post did not load when I posted mine

As long as the guy isn't noted I think it's not that big of a deal. If he is noted, I'd appreciate it being removed.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No notes or bans were applied and I watched this the entire time when it was happening last night.
    Hunk didn’t violate any protocols or do any wrong doing.
    Unhinged retiree boomer man
    Get off my lawn you kids