Date of Incident
    May 21, 2020

Your Character Name?
    Katashi Juro

Accused Byond Key(if known):
    no idea

Accused Character Name
    Katashi Juro

Approximate time and date of the incident (Central US Time for fastest results)
    21:00 GMT

What rule(s) were broken:
    2, 3

Description of the incident:
    the player in question is playing a racial caricature that's very openly derisive towards asian people, speaking in a racist 'engrish', was told by staff this kind of racism is okay so i thought i'd escalate

Evidence (screenshots, logs, etc):
    How you would punish the accused:
    ban them i guess, racism is bad and it isn't a good look for your server for whitelisted players to be openly racist and for staff to defend them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    correction: katashi juro is the name of the racist character, not my one

Banned
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's Juro's gimmick.

The character he plays as speaks this way and it's written in the rules that we allow racism IC only.

If it was ruled okay by a staff member I recommend filing a staff report if you believe the moderator who took your Ahelp broke protocol/conducts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Compy View Post
    It's Juro's gimmick.

The character he plays as speaks this way and it's written in the rules that we allow racism IC only.

If it was ruled okay by a staff member I recommend filing a staff report if you believe the moderator who took your Ahelp broke protocol/conducts.
    playing a racist character is not 'IC racism', the player is being racist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just putting in my two sense here. If I'm out of line posting this here, then I'm sure it'll be deleted.

Players can make characters who act racist WITHOUT being racist themselves in real life. You know people can have fake characters or personalities online than what they actually are offline, right?
    Captain Chirs Mooris - CO Whitelist

Chris - Synth Whitelist

"CM without RP is CM without a soul"

My join date is a lie, I've been around since 2017

Trial Moderator: 02AUG2020 - 08SEP2020
    Moderator: 08SEP2020 - 05NOV2020

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpii View Post
    Just putting in my two sense here. If I'm out of line posting this here, then I'm sure it'll be deleted.

Players can make characters who act racist WITHOUT being racist themselves in real life. You know people can have fake characters or personalities online than what they actually are offline, right?
    being an overt racial caricature isn't 'the character acting racist', it's just a racial caricature that the player is using as a depiction of minorities for cheap laughs

there's a significant distinction between that and tastefully roleplaying a character who happens to be racist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldflame View Post
    being an overt racial caricature isn't 'the character acting racist', it's just a racial caricature that the player is using as a depiction of minorities for cheap laughs

there's a significant distinction between that and tastefully roleplaying a character who happens to be racist
    Who determines what 'tasetful' even means? Juro has already had to turn down his gimmick before. What more do you want, all of us to sound and speak the same?
    Captain Chirs Mooris - CO Whitelist

Chris - Synth Whitelist

"CM without RP is CM without a soul"

My join date is a lie, I've been around since 2017

Trial Moderator: 02AUG2020 - 08SEP2020
    Moderator: 08SEP2020 - 05NOV2020

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpii View Post
    Who determines what 'tasetful' even means? Juro has already had to turn down his gimmick before. What more do you want, all of us to sound and speak the same?
    debates on where exactly the line lies between tasteful expression of the characteristics of certain cultures and harmful sterotypes are very interesting and raise some challenging questions about how we should communicate

none of which is relevant here because this is very very obviously a racist caricature of an asian person

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm posting this as a witness of Juro. I have been under his command as a synth that round.
    There is no problem with having IC gimmicks, he only speaks a bit broken english as he is japanese. There is nothing racist in that, it's just a gimmick.
    I have played with Juro a lot of rounds together and I have never once seen someone report him for his gimmick.

IC Racism is allowed at a certain standpoint. OOC racism in dchat is not tolerated.
    I play as Viktor 'Beer' Kleiner, Matthaus and as Var'dqi Bo'ytill

LT COL. VIKTOR KLEINER, USS LOWË'S COMMANDING OFFICER

PROVISIONAL COMMAND OVER THE USS ALMAYER

Ex-CO Councillor. If you have any questions regarding the whitelist, feel free to DM me.
    Discord is Axyinious#3635

Whitelisted Captain BatHoovyDood's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm assuming that you are very new to the CM community and the living meme that is Katashi Juro, and I'm also sure I can't say anything that either hasn't already or won't be shortly, but here goes. Juro is one of the most well known characters in SS13 CM, and he has been around for a while too. He has been told to (and has) toned down his character multiple times, and unless he does something absolutely outrageous, this ain't going to do anything.
    - Squad Leader Cassandra 'Boston' Ellis (and overconfident CO)

(Probably already dead)