User Tag List

Thread: USCM Experimental RnD File: M22 'Safari' Armored Howitzer Platform

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

USCM Experimental RnD File: M22 'Safari' Armored Howitzer Platform

I had a cool idea for a third vehicle that focuses on long range fire support. It's artillery vehicle that would be used instead of the tank or APC, a howitzer. It has low armor, mostly enough to protect against ballistic small arms, but wont stand up to even a lightly armored tank or AP jeep toe to toe. It has to deploy from its mobile mode to fire the howitzer, and has a unique secondary mode I think you guys are gonna find cool, so let's get into this.

The safari is a decently heavy lightly armored artillery piece, its design is fairly short but wider, it's an eight wheeler with 4x4 and good suspension while driving, and when it deploys, the wheels are anchored, and the safari raises up like a utility lift with the cross connecting struts. When deployed, a telescopic cannon measuring 5 meters detracts, and after about 7 seconds, is ready to begin firing. The cannon fires somewhat like a mix between a sniper rifle and a rook chess piece. It can only fire in the direction it faces, but the projectile is FAST, and decently devastating, the catch is that the shell only primes after it has crossed 15-20 tiles, and if it collides with a wall or unpassable object, it will tumble harmlessly onto the floor. If it hits someone before it arms, they are knocked down with heavy damage, and the shell is mostly unperturbed, as it continues on its merry way. After the shell arms, the drivers will hear a beep, and the first thing the shell collides with will trigger the explosion. Due to its raised position, the shell will pass over small obstacles and machines like a high throw grenade, but humans and xenos standing up will still trigger it. There are a few shell types I've devised, standard HE and AP shells, OT shells, maybe a bunker buster shell that does limited personnel damage but heavy anti building/armor damage, at the cost of speed. I do have one last shell idea though: a proxy shell, which is primed manually and detonates manually or when within 1 tile of a non almayer ID wearing entity, perhaps at a cost of accuracy or damage. Once the safari has been deployed and is able to fire, the driver becomes the loader, choosing via computer which shells to load from storage, and being able to turn off safeties to load faster with the added possibility of malfunction when loading.

The secondary mode, instead of the usual secondaries, consists of nothing by default, but it can be loaded by powerloader with: mounted HMG, regular/flame sentry, flag, mortar. You can only use these secondaries when the safari is UNDEPLOYED, and are handled by the gunner.

The sentries act as they normally would, with a 360 degree firing arc, but they have to physically turn around to engage targets. The flag would give a CO level buff to all three order types, but if the tank is damaged while the flag is flying, there is a chance for the flag to be damaged and the boost to be lost. The mounted HMG would work basically the same as regularly, but with the gunner able to rotate it with alt click instead of a wrench (it's loaded onto a swivel ring.) The mortar would work the same as normal, but it can only be loaded by the gunner if they grab a mortar shell with their hands before getting in, or by loading a mortar shell into the howitzer shell storage, then having the gunner grab the shell through storage.

Ammunition for the howitzer and mortar are loaded by clicking on the rear side of the howitzer with the requisite shells, which are put into storage. If the rear of the howitzer is damaged enough there is a chance for the ammo supply to be damaged, which will give a warning to the crew and give them a limited time to escape before the inside of the howitzer explodes ( this may also happen if the loading safeties are turned off and a malfunction happens.) The crew members embark on the sides like the APC, and the doors can be locked.

Upgrades for the chassis are: light chassis, doesn't impair movement, at low protection, heavy chassis for the reverse, and tactical/utility chassis, which has basically no protection at EVEN FASTER speeds than normal, but with a faster loading/retrieving speed and the ability to prepare a round and detract the cannon before you deploy it for tacticool quick setups. Utility upgrades include a thermal/IFF Camera for highlighting hostiles at range and telling friend from foe at a glance (more useful for HvH), Shell camera (which lets the gunner "watch" the shell as it fires and lands), and fulton winch which can either be attached to the dropship from inside to deploy it wherever the dropship is over the colony, or activated on the ground for the POs to grab to retrieve the tank. Retrieving or deploying the tank is slow and cumbersome, which means you can't fulton anyone else (or deploy paratroopers if that gets added) until your next flyby. There could also be an increased storage bay upgrade, but I'm not sure how many shells is too much so I'd leave that for devs to decide. The last upgrade I thought of is a supply beacon that can be turned on while the safari is deployed, and ROs can send crates to it through the Echo pad, landing around the safari with some inaccuracy.

I really enjoyed brainstorming this big chonking gun, let me know what you think, tell me if I missed anything, or if you have any ideas of your own to add to it.
    Last edited by kooarbiter; 05-22-2020 at 04:17 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, I think I get what you are trying to make, something along the line of a self-propelled gun, ala an M109 Paladin (for an IRL example). However, I think that this vehicle may be a bit TOO much for addition at this time, but it does give me an idea that may work (or not, I like to 'brainstorm' this sorta stuff too). What I am thinking of doesn't need to be as large as you may think, and let us use the assets we have in game already, even if it not currently implemented in this fashion: A direct fire only, breach loaded version of our good old 84mm mortar. This would make it still need to be loaded manually, and could be mounted on something like the APC, or an M113 analog that has been bouncing around in gitlabs and the forums for a while. This would allow for some sort of fire support when Marines push into the cave systems, and could be function as a possible counter to light armor or CLF technicals, or for enemy bunkers that are too well armored or have too much range for a rocket from a SADAR to be effective.

The other way to mount this, would be to use the chassis from the M34 light tank, and put your howitzer on it. Rather than add a computer added system on it, it would be old school, direct fire only, low velocity gun with a limited range, but good destructive effect (as you indicated in your initial post). For something like this, I think a 105mm (4.1inch) is a good caliber to go with, probably with something like a 20 or 25 caliber-length barrel (caliber length is an artillery term, where barrel length is described by how many shell diameters long the barrel is, so 4.1in-25 would have a barrel length of 102.5 inches).

I could go on how we could design this theoretical system, but I shall restrain myself (for now).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would having the equivalent of an artillery tank at roundstart be balanced? Likely not.
    Would it be cool as shit? Yes.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have a prototype which is used on USS Warhammer. the M30 Super Scorpion. Is a Rail Cannon that fires a Magnetic Propelled Missile simillar to the GBU-67 Keeper II, but the fuel compartment is replaced by a explosive shaped charge.
    and i returned, and left. and returned again 19/06/2022, this is my life now.

Former Moderator Trainer. If you have any questions regarding Moderation Duties, feel free to DM me: Hunk1#9842

A bigger truth has never been spoken.

Props to nanu for the picture.

My Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yay, big shooty. Xeno go boom.
    Rain 'Hail' Atkinson (Human Roles): Slayer of Xenos and babysitter of PFCs
    Medals
    Spoiler Spoiler:

NV-XXX-C6 (Xeno Roles): CRUSHER GANG CRUSHER GANG
    Whitelisted Monkey Damn You Boomermin, the Monkeys will rise again
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentor - 6/5/2020

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the idea, but then the xenos would want some kind of robotic-siege-crab that can take a direct hit & spray acid over all nearby marines.

In seriousness though, the xenos already complain about CAS, Mortar, and OB. Having any kind of direct fire gun that can blast them from offscreen will be met with heavy resistance.

On a semi-related note, I think there’s a gitlab to have an APC with a mortar as a mobile fire support.