11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

forest2001 - Commander Application

Commander Whitelist Application
    Byond ID?
    forest2001

Player Name You Use Most?
    Charles Edwinson - CE & Command, Percival - Synthetic, Arthur Edwinson - Enlisted & Others

Make a list of links to all of your applications and (job)ban appeals, including whitelist and staff apps, within the last year. Also, provide "Ban reason; Verdict" beside each (job)ban link
    Synthetic Application (Accepted): //showthrea...ic-Application
    Yautja Application (Accepted): //showthrea...ja-Application

Have you received any ban within the last month? How long was it and what for?
    No

Do you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

How do you view the tool of Battlefield Execution to be used? What circumstances do you think it would be necessary to BE a member of the crew? Where do you think the Battlefield Execution Mechanic Differs from regular Execution and why?
    My view of the Battlefield Execution is that it is a complete last resort and I believe it is currently overused. Whilst I agree that most situations it is used are completely valid, I would personally prefer to attempt to find an alternative to execution.
    The circumstances I believe would require a Battlefield Execution is when for example a lieutenant is deliberately aiding the enemy forces (sedition) and I haven't the time to wait for MPs to detain and proceed for a formal execution. Or alternatively someone is killing my crew and I'm nearby. If their being removed is crucial, I'll do it myself. If I can afford to have MPs handle it, I will.
    The Battlefield Execution differs from the regular execution because it is a rapid and final resolution of a critical situation. Where a formal execution can take some time and is rarely possible for matters of extreme urgency.

How will your Commanding Officer run his/her ship? Provide a detailed explanation on how he would handle situations that might commonly occur such as, a insubordinate Req, Engineering, MP, or Command Staff
    I intend to run the ship with a much more administrative approach to ensure I am effectively delegating tasks to my subordinates, where possible I intend to leave the majority of the operational action to the rest of the CIC team and oversee the running of the operation and ship from a more withdrawn position. My decisions are final, but I am more than happy to take advice from my officers and crew and want to encourage free thinking and letting the CIC team garner more experience.
    I am very aware of what falls within IC and OOC purviews (e.g. OTs bombing the ship being a no go), however I wish to answer all the potentials from an IC perspective regardless.
    Requisitions:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Engineering:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

MP(s):
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Command Staff:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Medical:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

What do you think is the job of a Commander?
    I believe the role of a Commanding Officer is to improve the round by providing unique RP opportunities. I do not believe they are integral to the round nor operational success. I think that a Commanding Officer should attempt to make the round more enjoyable for all players by experimenting and trying new tactics and approaches to the round rather than the standard "its Team Deathmatch and I want to win" route.

As a player what do you think could be added for Commanding Officer to benefit the role?
    I think it would be nice if the CO had more ways to reward the excellency of his troops rather than just medals. An idea that occurred to be would be to implement a functional Echo Squad and have this be a medal tier reward. To explain better, allow the CO to appoint marines to positions within Echo Squad which could give them some perks such as cheaper gear or rarer weapons? I'm well aware that this could and likely would lead to round start making all of a squad into Echo Squad and powergaming it as best as possible, but I think having a way to coordinate and utilise a squad specifically of the proven best of the round would offer a unique approach rather than having the medal recipients and dedicated, brave marines, scattered around and left to die by their fellows.

Another idea I had is if the CO had a vendor for rank pins, so they can field promote marines for good work. This might require a slight change on how the rank prefix is determined, but otherwise would allow for some interesting opportunities. Although a limit to stop anything higher than Ensign or Lieutenant would probably be wise.

What do you think you could contribute by being whitelisted?
    I think I could contribute an alternative RP scenario to most existing COs. I know that my intended approach is not unique, and others have done or have attempted to do the same. I have a strong liking of RP and want to be able to encourage it instead of the typical rush to win the round. Failure is an inevitable part of life. Through failure you gain perspective, through perspective – success.

Your story (potential topics listed below)
    Note:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Weston-Yamada Personnel Archives
    Lead Synthetic Technician – Charles Edwinson

Spoiler Spoiler:

USCM Personnel Records
    Lieutenant Commander
    Chief Engineer
    Charles Edwinson

Spoiler Spoiler:

Do you understand that you cannot advertise your application on any public platform for votes. Do you also understand you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow the effort of this application. +1

Community Mentor
    11-14-2019

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 he killed me with a railgun in his dossier

CM-SS13 Vice Host
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks both.

I'm aware I haven't been widely seen in CIC roles, so I'll make an effort to do so whilst this app is up.
    Charles & Arthur Edwinson
    Synth Percival | Artyom
    Yautja Kjhute Luar-ke

Record:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Discord: forest2001#2001

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by forest2001 View Post
    Thanks both.

I'm aware I haven't been widely seen in CIC roles, so I'll make an effort to do so whilst this app is up.
    I care more about seeing someone play SL than XO a lot, honestly. It's good to play XO a bit just so you know how CIC works, but playing SL gives you a much better understanding of what's going on in terms of actual gameplay.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have actually seen you before at a command role from the deep shadows of a PFC.

I can attest to your command abilities but I recommend you grind more XO and SO while this application is up.

Your answers are fine. There are no problem with them.
    Your story and the 'what do you think is the job of a CO is' answer are acceptable as it shows to me how you will act in-game and how you intend to initiate conversations or how you will play your CO during the flow of the rounds.

This is a POSITIVE vote. I am recommending your Captain promotion to Rear Admiral Reece Wilson, Commander Edwinson.
    I play as Viktor 'Beer' Kleiner, Matthaus and as Var'dqi Bo'ytill

LT COL. VIKTOR KLEINER, USS LOWË'S COMMANDING OFFICER

PROVISIONAL COMMAND OVER THE USS ALMAYER

Ex-CO Councillor. If you have any questions regarding the whitelist, feel free to DM me.
    Discord is Axyinious#3635

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you better do promotion ebent. Jokes aside the app is good +1
    Nathon Stafford-Sunglasses wearing Delta L42 kiter man. Sometimes a Captain.
    Benedict-Praiser of Jesus, healer of marines, killer of Queens.
    Kahn'Ikesh-Blooded Hunter and great grandson of Gor'don Ram-sey
    (pfp by Manezinho)
    medals:https://pastebin.com/xiCJLuhz
    Mapper since 12/29/2020
    Had dev role assasinated on 8/2/21

Synth Councilor as of 2/5/21 along with Jakk, Frogzeke, Yukonsnow, and Flpls
    DM what#3954 for help with Synth Applications

Admin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Foreword:
    I'm going to segment this for easy reading and making sure all my points can stand alone though I may refer to the other points I'll mention. I'm not perfect after all, and this isn't comprehensive so anything I don't mention I just consider pretty standard or I think is fine. I'd also like to note I will likely be harsh but I have no issue with you and I don't intend for any of this to be inflammatory and truly intend for this to be constructive but once again I'm not perfect. God I'm gonna love trying to format this into something readable.

To begin with I've not seen you play command ever myself. Maybe you have played CO recently but I've not seen it and from what I gather you don't very regularly play command.

What do you think is the job of a Commander?:
    Pretty standard and I like your mentality on delegation, but I want to touch on something I tried to discuss in the Discord command channel. I don't get the whole stigma about doing a standard plan. If the marines enjoy the, "its Team Deathmatch and I want to win", you shouldn't try to hinder them. Your fun shouldn't hinder everyone elses but don't take that as me saying no one should ever go against the meta but we shouldn't look down on people who want to play it safe we're here to of course facilitate RP but also fun gameplay.

As a player what do you think could be added for Commanding Officer to benefit the role?:
    I feel this question really doesn't matter, it's not like you're trying to join the Council and anything anyone ever mentions in this probably will never be seriously considered or have any impact though here's my take. Personally I have a distaste for the whole 'Echo Squad' for the odd clique I imagine it'd make but even practically how would this work? You add someone to a squad with no one in it and they lone wolf around? That goes against our role to coordinate really for some snowflake role and not only that you'll be pulling them out of the fight to get them whatever special gear you're giving them? Being able to order it at any time could lead to abuse and it not just getting to Echo Squad. This isn't a suggestion board though, just figured I'd mention it as we have it as a question here.

Your story (potential topics listed below)
    I should begin this with personally I think this question is also useless but most people in the whitelist are of the opinion this is some sort of bar for entry. This area is the main reason I even decided to write about this, I'm no author, I can't say I'm really some sort of creative writing instructor so keep that in mind going forward.

First your opening note about dialogue, I have mixed feelings about this. Roleplaying is about understanding a character, putting yourself in their shoes and reacting as they would. Talking, interactions, these are critical if you truly consider this a roleplaying game you should remember just talking is writing dialogue for your character. Maybe you have no issue with writing your own dialogue but struggle with others, if so I suggest you expand your borders as widening your perspective and opening yourself to other characters can give you perspective even into your own.

General note, I hate 'REDACTED' if you can't think of something to put just don't put anything in. If you feel something should be there work towards getting something there, just putting in REDACTED makes it seem like you're either lazy or 'snowflakey' for a lack of better word.

Weston Employment History:
    A little over a year from an apprenticeship to technician on a very complex machine seems sort of unrealistic but I can't say I'm in fact the authority on synthetics so I won't go in too deep on this. The rest of it is really unremarkable aside from once again going back to my note of 'REDACTED' being a very lazy/uncreative narrative device.

USCM Service Record:

Enlistment Area:
    You styled this as a record but this area seems less like an actual record and you wanting to convey some information about your character's motivation if you want to go all in on one method of presentation feel free but if you're not going to I'd suggest not trying to hamfist it in. Instead I'd suggest you break from it maybe give us maybe some of your character's thoughts, if you site your issue with dialogue I'd reply if you can't write the thoughts for your character how can you plan to hold a conversation as that character? The section over-all I feel should be omitted or reworked into something else.

Promotion+Enlistment Ramblings:
    Quickly going over this, coming in as a Sergeant, an NCO I feel isn't very realistic and I'll be going a bit more into that in another area. Back on topic though, I'll use real world examples here while advanced enlistment exists I'm not aware of any service at least in the United States which allows you to come in at E-5 as the position is also reliant on time-in-service and being able to prove yourself as a military man. That's not even mentioning the other promotions here.

Here's that going into it a bit more I mentioned now; I feel like you fell into a trap a lot of people do, sometimes we forget not only the roles we play in-game exist in-universe. You seem to want to have your character commonly acting as a synthetic technician, realistically given so many ships have synthetics and they're so widely used there's likely a dedicated MOS just to working on them.

That being said if you did you'd probably have issue becoming the CE of a vessel as you'd be working in a niche position which is unlikely to go on that route and I feel like you're just railroading yourself into something you've already planned. The issue of trying to fit your story into guidelines and not letting it develop. Maybe you went from synth technician to the leader of synthetic technicians in another facility not even related to combat vessels and with time you varied yourself, wanted to move onto a different field blah blah.

Promotions Rantings:
    So you've come in as a Sergeant, already a bit out of the bounds of reality but I'm sure some people might argue and it's always been an arguement, 'Don't base CM on real-life! This is the space future! The USCM is it's own thing!', what's even more of a stretch though is being promoted to Staff Sergeant in only a year. Promotions are based on once again time-in-service along with how much experience, training and leadership ability you can show. I'm not going to mention again how unrealistically quick these promotions are again so I don't write the word promotion so many times I begin to forget the meaning of it.

Staff Sergeant to Lieutenant, this is where we really start going off the rails. Yes, mustangs exist, but I'd like to mention they're so rare there's a wikiapedia page that probably lists almost every single one. As a mustang you've probably been in for over twenty years at least or there's some real extenuating circumstances but as someone who's only been in for a few years highly unlikely.

If you already qualified for a commission why wouldn't you have just commissioned? This is probably a bit of what I mentioned earlier about failing to remember not only the roles in-game exist. What would be more believable is say you commissioned as an Ensign, a synthetic technician and work in that for a few years till you perhaps come into a leadership position in that field and if you wish to continue on to becoming a vessel's Chief Engineer you go through a lot more training outside of just your niche area. The position of 'Senior Engineer' does suggest you considered the idea of other roles outside of what we see in game-play existing when you wrote this but that position would much more likely just be a senior enlisted: perhaps an NCO or SNCO.

Lieutenant Commander and onward, transition so rapidly into different subjects hurts, I feel like the poor transitions I'm writing are really going to make this painful for people to read but here we go. Field promotions, ah what a wonderful invention of cinema, while not entirely unfounded these positions are sometimes given out or rather were and were very temporary in modern armies there's usually no shortage of people jumping for positions of leadership and they all usually have structures for it so when say a leader dies someone isn't randomly thrust from say in this example a 'Senior Engineer' to Chief Engineer of an entire vessel. Perhaps you take temporary leadership but this isn't going to be a permanent position and in the off chance you're promoted to fit the billet that'd also likely be temporary too with you returning to your previous position and rank.

Since I've said a lot about field promotions here I won't dally on in mentioning the promotion to XO I'll just restate it's unlikely you'd be appointed as the Executive Officer of a vessel just like that. Perhaps you're given temporary leadership of the vessel but once again you're not likely to be promoted in rank or even position, you'd likely just take leadership for the time being given no one else is more qualified.

I don't have anything to say about the Operation Tiberius section, figured I'd just quickly mention it after I've tried to dissect this whole area in detail though. It's pretty standard aside from the promotion bits I mentioned earlier.

Closing notes:
    In all of this I want to again clarify I don't mean to shit on you, I hope I've been constructive in everything I've said, and I hope you don't take this personally in any way and I feel bad for anyone who's actually seriously read all of this. In conclusion though since I can't comment on you based on your commanding ability and solely on what's here I'll be giving a -1.
    Last edited by Robotic Potato; 05-23-2020 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BurnedSweetPotato View Post
    i was roleplaying as a spec ops sangheili

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Robotic brings up some good points here, I've also some reservation regarding the over-all tone of the application coupled with the MP section.

I'd suggest some hands on experience in the CiC to demonstrate your character's RP and potential to lead an operation.

Synthetic Council Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the presumed effort it took to write this application in terms of length, I'm fairly impressed; not many people, if any take the same amount of passion to make their applications look nice and organized in the same way as you do.

However, after reading the application and Robotic Potato's commentary, there are several issues but I will discuss about two.

1. You have passed a Synthetic application; that means you should understand why the story section of an application is IMPORTANT. It is the badge to show that you understand the CO Guidelines, you understand the character, and you understand how to write or act an appropriate situation with your character. Your dossier simply does not cut those requirements. Considering you have two whitelists, I find it hard to believe that you have "difficulty" writing dialogue.

2. I haven't seen you play much command nor CM recently; this is very key as a large factor to any CO's acceptance is indeed, their competency and willingness to put the extra effort in as the leader of the largest faction in any round is imperative. Please get active and play XO and SO. I understand that you are an Admin and you may have other responsibilities that may undermine your operations, please try to clock in some hours for Command.