Thread: forest2001 - Commander Application

CM-SS13 Vice Host
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robotic Potato View Post
    What do you think is the job of a Commander?:
    I don't get the whole stigma about doing a standard plan. If the marines enjoy the, "its Team Deathmatch and I want to win", you shouldn't try to hinder them. Your fun shouldn't hinder everyone elses but don't take that as me saying no one should ever go against the meta but we shouldn't look down on people who want to play it safe we're here to of course facilitate RP but also fun gameplay.
    I agree. I have no intention to hinder people that just want to win, but equally I am not going to make it my sole focus. I want to be able to encourage people to RP a little more than just a mass charge into the hive.

As a player what do you think could be added for Commanding Officer to benefit the role?:
    I feel this question really doesn't matter, it's not like you're trying to join the Council and anything anyone ever mentions in this probably will never be seriously considered or have any impact though here's my take. Personally I have a distaste for the whole 'Echo Squad' for the odd clique I imagine it'd make but even practically how would this work? You add someone to a squad with no one in it and they lone wolf around? That goes against our role to coordinate really for some snowflake role and not only that you'll be pulling them out of the fight to get them whatever special gear you're giving them? Being able to order it at any time could lead to abuse and it not just getting to Echo Squad. This isn't a suggestion board though, just figured I'd mention it as we have it as a question here.
    Making an echo squad is something I doubt I would do personally, but it was a spitball idea I came up with and I saw no reason not to present it regardless. It's rewarding to be noticed for your efforts, although I can see it easily being exploited and misused in a meta system so it's not something I'd necessarily support entirely, just an idea I had.

First your opening note about dialogue, I have mixed feelings about this. Roleplaying is about understanding a character, putting yourself in their shoes and reacting as they would. Talking, interactions, these are critical if you truly consider this a roleplaying game you should remember just talking is writing dialogue for your character. Maybe you have no issue with writing your own dialogue but struggle with others, if so I suggest you expand your borders as widening your perspective and opening yourself to other characters can give you perspective even into your own.
    Dialogue itself isn't so much the issue, more the fact I find it difficult to preemptively write out both sides of a conversation. Natural flow of conversation in the situation is much easier than writing out everything for other people to judge.

General note, I hate 'REDACTED' if you can't think of something to put just don't put anything in. If you feel something should be there work towards getting something there, just putting in REDACTED makes it seem like you're either lazy or 'snowflakey' for a lack of better word.
    I can appreciate that. I wanted to avoid it in the USCM part because it does present that sort of aura, however in the WY section it's something they'd do heavily, and I wanted to uphold continuity with the original dossier I made on the old forums. (Which, admittedly, was garbage)

Enlistment Area:
    You styled this as a record but this area seems less like an actual record and you wanting to convey some information about your character's motivation if you want to go all in on one method of presentation feel free but if you're not going to I'd suggest not trying to hamfist it in. Instead I'd suggest you break from it maybe give us maybe some of your character's thoughts, if you site your issue with dialogue I'd reply if you can't write the thoughts for your character how can you plan to hold a conversation as that character? The section over-all I feel should be omitted or reworked into something else.
    Noted.

Promotion+Enlistment Ramblings:
    Quickly going over this, coming in as a Sergeant, an NCO I feel isn't very realistic and I'll be going a bit more into that in another area. Back on topic though, I'll use real world examples here while advanced enlistment exists I'm not aware of any service at least in the United States which allows you to come in at E-5 as the position is also reliant on time-in-service and being able to prove yourself as a military man. That's not even mentioning the other promotions here.

Here's that going into it a bit more I mentioned now; I feel like you fell into a trap a lot of people do, sometimes we forget not only the roles we play in-game exist in-universe. You seem to want to have your character commonly acting as a synthetic technician, realistically given so many ships have synthetics and they're so widely used there's likely a dedicated MOS just to working on them.

That being said if you did you'd probably have issue becoming the CE of a vessel as you'd be working in a niche position which is unlikely to go on that route and I feel like you're just railroading yourself into something you've already planned. The issue of trying to fit your story into guidelines and not letting it develop. Maybe you went from synth technician to the leader of synthetic technicians in another facility not even related to combat vessels and with time you varied yourself, wanted to move onto a different field blah blah.
    My reasoning for joining directly in as a Sergeant is because this does happen. High Tier civillians can and do join directly into commissions within the military, so joining as an NCO is not that much of a step. Additionally to that, Maintenance Technicians are all Sergeants and aren't really trained for combat, which means they wouldn't strictly go through the combat engineer phase of Lance Corporal. Though I may well be mistaken there.[/quote]

Promotions Rantings:
    Figured it would be best to snip most of it as it's quite large.
    It hindsight starting out at Ensign might have been a better idea. In truth, I'd like to be able to have written a much more detailed and extensive history on the progression to LCDR and CDR, however I also did not want to change my character continuity. Without making Edwinson a lot more realistically aged (Probably late 40s, early 50s) this wasn't as easily achievable. In summary there, I didn't give myself enough years to do what I perhaps should have.

I've mulled over how I wanted to write the story/dossier for a long time. The majority of this application has been written for 6-7 months. Most, though certainly not all, of my command experience was at that period and I was highly motivated to write the application. For whatever reasons I had it was put on hold and I only came back to it in the last few weeks, with the only thing left to do being write the story. Consequently I believe I may have rushed it, and I apologise for that.

Closing notes:
    In all of this I want to again clarify I don't mean to shit on you, I hope I've been constructive in everything I've said, and I hope you don't take this personally in any way and I feel bad for anyone who's actually seriously read all of this. In conclusion though since I can't comment on you based on your commanding ability and solely on what's here I'll be giving a -1.[/QUOTE]

An extensive response to be sure. Rest assured I take no offence.
    Last edited by forest2001; 05-23-2020 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Formatting
    Charles & Arthur Edwinson
    Synth Percival | Artyom
    Yautja Kjhute Luar-ke

Record:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Discord: forest2001#2001

CM-SS13 Vice Host
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by optimisticdude View Post
    From the presumed effort it took to write this application in terms of length, I'm fairly impressed; not many people, if any take the same amount of passion to make their applications look nice and organized in the same way as you do.

However, after reading the application and Robotic Potato's commentary, there are several issues but I will discuss about two.

1. You have passed a Synthetic application; that means you should understand why the story section of an application is IMPORTANT. It is the badge to show that you understand the CO Guidelines, you understand the character, and you understand how to write or act an appropriate situation with your character. Your dossier simply does not cut those requirements. Considering you have two whitelists, I find it hard to believe that you have "difficulty" writing dialogue.

2. I haven't seen you play much command nor CM recently; this is very key as a large factor to any CO's acceptance is indeed, their competency and willingness to put the extra effort in as the leader of the largest faction in any round is imperative. Please get active and play XO and SO. I understand that you are an Admin and you may have other responsibilities that may undermine your operations, please try to clock in some hours for Command.

I appreciate you taking the time to review my application.
    I understand the value placed on the story. Believe me I do. I put a lot of effort into my Synthetic story, and it's been difficult to keep to the same standard for my Yautja one, and then for this one. If you want proof on my difficulty with dialogue though, I recommend reading some of the responses to and the content of my other applications. All of them have the same notice.
    I can write dialogue and talk well, indeed I would consider myself an eloquent speaker, however I struggle to write engaging dialogue from both sides. I find it significantly easier to talk with people in the moment, than to plan things out in my head.

As for playing more command, I agree I definitely need to put more time in so I can demonstrate my capabilities, and I will endeavor to do so.
    Thanks again for reading and responding.
    Synth Percival | Artyom
    Yautja Kjhute Luar-ke

Record:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yoooo this madman actually did it.

Your BE answer's Above average it answers every part of the question with efficiency.

Now, any issues regarding other responses has already been outlined in glorious detail by Robotic Potato. I, too; ree at you getting promoted ridiculously fast to an officer from enlisted. They've covered everything regarding it and the holes in your story.

I can see you putting a lot of effort into your responses, and taking feedback very well.

The main issue is experience. You don't play much, and when you do, I see you as a synth. To be fair, you're an admin. You're swamped with paperwork and community administration.

I say trial by fire, that "Do you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?" question is there for a reason.
    Unsatisfactory performance can be called out by the playerbase and subsequently punished by the council.
    +1
    Ex- Predator Council Senator, Mentor Manager, Discord Moderator and Moderator Trainer
    My wall of medals: https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    Discord: Novacti#0505

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have much to say, although I would like to say I don't think the application standards from you should be higher just because you have synthetic.

I know someone got denied for CO one because they were a synth and much more was expected from them.

While others point out flaws, I really believe you can do well at this role. Even then apps take long to process, and as such it should be enough time for people to see if you can command or not.

+1

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be more comfortable with the Dossier over the story if I saw you in the CIC a bit more.

I'm going to be putting a -1 for now, since Councils hate neutral votes, but it is subject to change if you play more roles in the CIC.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The CO whitelist was created and designed to be a standard of competency, drafted to ensure that individuals in the role can peform a role to a standard without being incompetent/bald/breaching rules. Forest has and continues to be an individual which has tailored extremely interesting events which involved complex roleplay of a high standard, has experience with marine law, playing as high command both in person and via faxes/announcements, and has experience within the role of SO, XO and CE (which he has took charge of ground operations many atime)

The dossier is not really an issue, I've always seen the whole "story-craft" aspect a load of tosh which doesnt reflect on most applicants ingame behaviour, the dossier at least shows effort has been placed in to the character and the CO in question has done research regarding the surrounding lore, including the ship and the current climate of affairs.

+1
    <::The Provost is always watching.::>

Spoiler Spoiler:

Senior Admin & Whitelist Overseer Fortelian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crimson is right. You're an admin, so ya must be competent in SOME regard, you probably know the law and everything. I'll toss you a +1, but PLAY MORE COMMAND.
    Salvador Kepplinger - President of Andorra
    LOV3 - The friendly Bean.
    Senior mentor

Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Crimson as well, I know you are more than competent for the role Forrest. What troubles me is your playtime, I know personally that moderating and playing command at the same time is no easy task, I just heavily suggest you at least get a few more hours in as XO, SO, or any command role. You need to develop a little more in game support and notice towards whomever you decide to play as. I know you understand Marine Law and have no issues there, you can command quite fine; however, it is the odd time you choose too act with your skills in CIC.

I will be leaving you with a +1 but please play more command, not only for our voting sake, but for your own.
    Mentor 1st Mar, 2020 - 11th Apr, 2020
    Trial Moderator 11th Apr, 2020 - 23rd Apr, 2020
    Moderator 23rd Apr, 2020 - 31st Aug, 2020
    Senior Moderator 31st Aug, 2020 - 8th Oct, 2020
    Trial Administrator 8th Oct, 2020 - 6th Nov, 2020
    Administrator 6th Nov, 2020 - 21st Feb, 2021
    Moderator Manager 21st Feb, 2021 - 11th Jul, 2021
    Administrator Manager 11th Jul, 2021 - 8th Aug, 2021

Administrator 12th Oct, 2022 - Present

CM-SS13 Vice Host
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all. I shall be doing my best play CIC roles when I’m on over the next week or so
    Synth Percival | Artyom
    Yautja Kjhute Luar-ke

Record:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Whitelisted Predator ChainsawMullet's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any issues we have for eachother aside, I cannot deny that you'd probably make a decent CO, my only problem is your playtime, much like everyone else. Until you've got the playtime for it under your belt I'll sit on a -1, but once you've hit that grindstone you can consider this a +1.

Also,
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortelian View Post
    Crimson is right. You're an admin, so ya must be competent in SOME regard, you probably know the law and everything. I'll toss you a +1, but PLAY MORE COMMAND.
    "You're staff +1".