User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Clarification on Department Heads not deploying and HIDDEN RULES

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThesoldierLLJK View Post
    Here's the part where I play the bad guy and say "If YoU WaNt To DePloY Go PLaY MaRiNe RoLeS"

Heads are shipside roles, and the previous two posts are examples why they don't need to deploy. Think you have a valid reason to have a department on the planet, send one of the subordinates. In fact I believe the developers are looking to add more frontline support roles in the future.
    Nobody is saying that you should play CE with the intention of deploying. But there have been loads of times when I've logged into a round and seen that there are: 2 squad engineers, 1 of whom is a Delta that spent all of his points on claymores and is offended by the very concept of building things while the other has absolutely no idea what they are supposed to be doing and will either fail to deploy or die without building a single cade. 0 MTs(or one who has either gotten arrested or gone AFK within minutes), no synth, but there's a CE who has a good enough idea of what to do. So, prior to this point, sending the CE down made perfect sense and resulted in a round that wasn't a complete joke for everyone involved. Not sending them down has the same result as if they didn't exist: no defences are built and the round ends up as basically a waste of time because at some point a xeno notices that there's no FOB and the entire hive casually wanders over and seizes the LZ and kills everyone. Both versions of this scenario have happened to me many, many times, because I play low-pop. This is the issue with such a ruling: in a high pop round where all the departments are well-populated and all the squad roles are represented well, and there's probably a synth, sure, it would rarely be an absolute necessity to send down a department head(although I do not think it's at all unreasonable to let them help out with something around the FOB, firmly away from the actual front, if they're otherwise just loafing around the ship or there's a desperate need of manpower). But when the department consists of one guy, and there are holes in the groundside composition that desperately need filling, saying "nope, they can't go do that" is a big problem, and I feel like it's an incredibly heavy-handed response to the occasional problem of department heads running off to shoot xenos(which you could very easily rule against with "only deploy if there's something that's firmly within your area of expertise that needs doing on the surface" instead of just "never ever").

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I was the individual who sought clarification and a ruling regarding this, I believe this is going to be added to marine law as an OOC requirement, and will be added to the wiki. I may recommend that you make a gitlab suggestion regarding being unable to deploy is added to the roles information when you join.

I will say it can be annoying falling fowl of hidden rulings and whatnot, so I understand your frustration (I even made a discord to track marine law rulings it got so annoying for me), although it is something that will likely be dealt with in the future, it's just finding a solution to this issue which wont fizzle out like efforts of the past.
    <::The Provost is always watching.::>

Spoiler Spoiler:

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay but I don't think anyone can really argue blaming someone for following a rule that isn't WRITTEN DOWN

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Okay but I don't think anyone can really argue blaming someone for following a rule that isn't WRITTEN DOWN
    This is why we have a punishment escalation: Warning - 3 hour ban - 24hr ban - 3 day ban- 7 day ban - 7 day + perma
    and i returned, and left. and returned again 19/06/2022, this is my life now.

Former Moderator Trainer. If you have any questions regarding Moderation Duties, feel free to DM me: Hunk1#9842

A bigger truth has never been spoken.

Props to nanu for the picture.

My Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunk1 View Post
    This is why we have a punishment escalation: Warning - 3 hour ban - 24hr ban - 3 day ban- 7 day ban - 7 day + perma
    That's dumb and you know it. Punishing anyone for something that isn't listed in writing is absurd and always will be.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's undeniably stupid to enforce. You can't punish someone for something they can't possibly find out is illegal. Shame on you.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just L View Post
    That's dumb and you know it. Punishing anyone for something that isn't listed in writing is absurd and always will be.
    yeah, cry me a river. Since i joined staff this was already a thing. Rule clarifications are only being brought to light because of the development of MOBA xenos and the database, urgent rebalances about certain matters which are dragging the game to a certain tendency which is not aimed by the management.

Former Moderator Trainer. If you have any questions regarding Moderation Duties, feel free to DM me: Hunk1#9842

My Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    That's undeniably stupid to enforce. You can't punish someone for something they can't possibly find out is illegal. Shame on you.
    This is why you get warned and not straight 3 hour ban for something you don't know.

My Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hunk1 View Post
    this is why you get warned and not straight 3 hour ban for something you don't know.
    Just codify it so people don't have to get warnings it's not rocket science.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, cry me a river. Since i joined staff this was already a thing. Rule clarifications are only being brought to light because of the development of MOBA xenos and the database, urgent rebalances about certain matters which are dragging the game to a certain tendency which is not aimed by the management.
    No, this has always been a problem throughout the history of CM. Staff have their own secret set of rules that they enforce on the players, due to a million different clarifications, instead of just only enforcing the rules as written like sensible people.