Thread: Flamethrowers, for a PFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flamethrowers, for a PFC

FLAMETHROWERS
    (For a PFC)

TL;DR Don't flame ravagers or allies and don't block pushes, Do flame non-ravager xenos, protect flanks, extinguish allies & flames when people need to get past them

TABLE OF CONTENTS
    1. Introduction
    1.1 How Flames Work (I think, or at least it works something like this)
    2. Items
    2.1 Flamethrower Types
    2.2 Storage Items
    2.3 Fuel Types
    2.4 Sidearms
    2.5 Explosives
    2.6 Kits I Recommend
    3. Tactics
    3.1 Ways to Put Out the Fire
    3.2 On the Topic of Immunity
    3.3 Common Uses for the Flamethrower
    3.4 Movement with the Flamethrower
    3.5 Bald/Ballsy/Suicidal Xenos
    4. A Final Note

1. INTRODUCTION
    (Please, for the love of god, at least read this)

I usually play Cade Brindle, a shitty, un-robust baldie who loves the flamethrower and continually rants about it in deadchat. This is my first guide, and I'm well aware there will be a lot of mistakes/inconsistenisies. If you spot any, please do tell me so I can correct them. I also started writing this a couple of weeks ago, and since then ravagers have been nerfed. They're a little fairer now, you should probably still run from them if you've only got a flamethrower.
    I wrote this guide fuelled by both my hatred for those who dismiss the flamethrower as a meme weapon, and my desire to see more people actually using it and not hindering the team in the process. Because of this the guide itself is some sort of wall-texty attempt to showcase what the flamethrower is, how complex it actually is and something to encourage people who have an irrational fear of it to actually try the damn thing out.
    So, here's a basic checklist on what to do and what not to do:

• DO NOT flame ravagers, at ALL COSTS. They get buffs from your flames. I see this all the time, stop being an unga and pull out your secondary weapon.
    • ALWAYS carry an extinguisher. You will set someone on fire. This will allow you to extinguish someone.
    • ALWAYS have the extinguisher's safety 'OFF'. You can toggle this by clicking on the flamethrower (or Z by default)
    • ALWAYS carry a flask (available in the food vendors near cryo) somewhere, it can be kept in your helmet. Put keloderm (heals burn damage, ask doctors in medbay for it) or something similar in it so you don't bother the medics. Let them know they don't need to go to a medic so they don't accidentally get overdosed. (Hokey this if you want!)
    • BE CAREFUL not to flame alliles. You can potentially make them unrevivable, if you leave them burning for too long.
    • IF YOU FLAME AN ALLY, DO NOT PANIC. Simply take them out, take the extingiusher and extinguish them. Then, feed them a couple sips of the keloderm flask to heal them back up.
    • BE AWARE that queens and ravagers are 100% immune to your flames.
    • TRY NOT to block others' paths. They could end up walking into the fire, or, well, if they need to get somewhere urgently, it's going to take a while for the flames to burn out.
    • TRY NOT to block pushes. If you do, use the extinguisher to put out the flames.

The flamethrower is unique in the way that a single idiot with one can, intentionally or not, kill an entire squad. Don't be that idiot, please.
    I recommend 'A Short Guide to Flamethrowers' (//showthrea...-Flamethrowers) for a much more concise (and probably better) guide.
    If you don't mind a lot of text, read below. I hope it helps.

1.1. HOW FIRE WORKS (I THINK, OR AT LEAST IT WORKS SOMETHING LIKE THIS)

Fire is based around 'stacks'. When something is set on fire, it means at least one fire stack has been applied. More stacks mean more damage. After around 30 seconds, a fire stack will disappear. This is easiest to spot for weapons that only apply a single fire stack, such as incendiary slugs or flare guns. Resisting will put out a single fire stack, but - unlike a fire extinguisher or acid - will not put out all fire stacks unless you resist in water. Walking over a fire tile will have a chance to apply fire stacks to the target, based on RNG and how long they are in a fire tile for. Walking over another tile will ignite them again, adding extra fire stacks. Different types of fire apply more or less stacks - for example, Napalm gives two stacks per ignition, and X-Variant gives four stacks per ignition.

2. ITEMS
    So, other than spouting some highly questionable and untested theory about how fire might work, here's a (probably incomplete) list of items that will (probably) be useful when you decide to use a flamethrower.

2.1 FLAMETHROWER TYPES
    (That are available to you)

Miniflamer
    Underbarrel attachment that comes from the Veteran Assault Kit and Requisitions.
    Only fires welder fuel, but can be refueled using any fuel type except B and X variant fuel tanks.
    Can be refilled from a welderpack, and as such is useful for miniengies (people who took the Combat Technician Support Kit)
    Use it by activating the attachment, which can be done on the top left of the screen. You can set up a macro for this, I highly recommend you do.
    Welder fuel is a very weak fuel, with very low damage, only four tiles and only lights enemies on fire if it is a direct hit.
    Very useful for utility reasons, such as clearing sticky resin, destroying facehuggers and detonating explosives. Not as useful for dealing damage.

M240A1 Incinerator Unit
    Comes from the M240 Pyrotechnician Support Kit costing 45 Points, or from the SL (who gets a free one at roundstart.)
    Can fit small (60u) Napalm tanks and large (90u) Gel tanks.
    Requires the pilot light to be enabled (Unique Action, I recommend setting a macro up) and to be used in two hands.
    Reports the % of fuel left in your tank each time you fire. More fire, more fuel used. It'll click when you're out. Keep track of it.
    Can be reloaded very quickly by just taking the tank out and clicking on the G4-1 Fuel Tank if you've got it equipped and you're using napalm.
    Otherwise reloaded by taking the tank out, holster the flamethrower, take the desired tank out of storage and replace it with the old one, unholster the flamethrower in the place of the old one and place the new tank in.
    Can fit a mag harness or rail flashlight on the top, and an under barrel extinguisher on the bottom. UBE is highly recommended.

Flare Gun
    Fires a flare. 2x miniscope comes pre-attached, miniscope has IFF but flare gun itself does not. Must be held with two hands to fire accurately.
    Upon collision with a flammable object, said object is set on fire. Damage is very low, but has the longest range out of all fire weapons. Can therefore be used as a bluff.
    Comes in the JTAC kit along with its own belt, which stores sixteen flares (two flare packs), as well as the flare gun itself.
    Hard to hit things with in open spaces; only fires one flare before it needs to be reloaded. Must aim behind the target to set it on fire.

2.2 STORAGE ITEMS
    (For flamethrowers)

USCM Pyrotechnician G4-1 Fuel Tank
    Comes exclusively from the M240 Pyrotechnician Support Kit costing 45 points.
    A tank that stores all your tanks and 350u of napalm.
    Takes up a back slot, and only stores the three tanks that comes with the kit, severely limiting your storage.
    Reloading is significantly easier with the G4-1, and it almost triples your napalm.
    If you do use this, I recommend at least taking webbing, if not brown webbing, for the sake of having decent amounts of storage.

Fuel Tank Strap Pouch
    Can be ordered from Requisitions. Not commonly taken.
    A pouch which holds two fuel tanks. If you decide to store your tanks in this, you can have a free back slot. You will have to throw away a third tank, however.
    If you're only using napalm you can switch the storage method (under the 'Object' tab), making it a lot easier to reload.

Satchel
    Similar to the G4-1, but trading 350 units of napalm for two medium items.
    Although this sounds like a bad tradeoff on paper, remember that this allows you to carry a wide variety of things, such as fire extinguishers, a flare gun (with a flare pouch for easy reloading) or even a spare pistol, putting the magazines in some webbing.
    If you're using the Fuel Tank Strap Pouch, you can carry two more medium items, as well as keeping that gel tank! You do lose a pouch slot, though.

Backpack
    Similar to the satchel, but with extra space; however, you need to take it off to look into it.
    Most marines do not take this, even without the extra juggling you have to do during reloading.
    Personally not recommended, unless you're using a fuel tank strap pouch. Items needed to be juggled to the point where just reloading is an absolute hell, but it does give extra storage space, if you *really* need that.
    Can be done, but it's hard, clunky to use and not optimal if you're trying to do it while being attacked.

G-8 Utility Pouch
    Only available through requisitions.
    Stores three items of up to medium size. Fits on a belt slot or a suit slot. Ranges from extremely useful to necessary if you're not taking a satchel or backpack, considering this is the only way you can store medium-sized items like fuel tanks or an extinguisher.

2.3 FUEL TYPES

Welder Fuel
    Lasts for a short amount of time (<10 seconds). Has a darker tint than napalm, 4 tile range. Only sets xenos directly hit on fire. Very low damage.
    Can still definitely harm humans but isn't much use against xenos, not dealing much damage and only setting xenos directly hit on fire. Still causes bald xenos to panic but never count on it.
    Very useful for clearing sticky resin due to its extreme availability (1000u in ONE welder fuel tank!) and can be refueled with a welderpack. Miniengies and engineers will find this in abundance, even more so if you're Bravo.
    Also has a good usage in setting explosives from a distance (most notably claymores because of its small explosion radius), but any other fuel type can be done at a further range and as such is better.
    Good if you want some of the utility of flamethrowers and you're going to be in a position where you will have access to backup fuel (if you actually use the miniflamer you will go through 20u fairly quickly)

Napalm
    The main fuel of the M240A1 Incinerator Unit.
    Very self-explanatory, good damage, good stacks.
    Good for finishing a xeno off, causing them to panic, clearing weeds that nobody's going to step on anytime soon (gel is better, however) or just being used as a light source in a pinch.
    Good for area control and setting things on fire; comes in very good supply.

Gel
    The weed-clearing fuel.
    A not-very-lethal and not-very-long-lasting fuel. Similar to welding fuel, only direct hits set xenos alight. Flames only last for 3 seconds and it has a 7 tile range.
    Brilliant for clearing sticky resin and making drones cry as you burn their lines upon lines of purple sacs they thought would be impenetrable in seconds. Doesn't hurt a push too badly, doesn't hurt marines too much if they walk into it, but still try not to burn marines with it or block pushes if possible.
    Only 90u available, so use it wisely. I recommend only using it to burn masses of purple sacs or sticky resin and clearing the rest up with either 2-3 tiles worth of napalm or another sharp object (bayonet, knife, machete)

2.4 SIDEARMS
    (Shoot Ravagers and Queens with these, as well as xenos already on fire or out of the range of your flamethrower)

Some people like to wear a shotgun or a pulse rifle in their back slot, storing their tanks in the fuel tank strap pouch.
    You probably already know how to use those weapons, so I won't cover them. However, most marines aren't as experienced with sidearms.
    There is a lot of discussion about pistols and firearms and their usage, but I personally believe they exist to fit a niche that a primary weapon cannot cover.
    For this reason, personally prefer the M44 Revolver, because of its range to combat xenos far away and fuck-off value to ravagers. Combined with the flare gun, and a smartscope, you can shoot wherever you see and stun ravs, all without the risk of shooting allies.
    However, I understand this is only my opinion. I've included a few forum links so you can get a better perspective on the advantages and disadvantages of the weapons.
    Some of these posts are old; you can now easily fit all sidearms in a Pistol Pouch (easily available from PFC prep) or in their respective belt. Some can even be stored in a satchel/backpack/G-8 pouch!
    //showthrea...ng-Vamp-rework (Outdated, QFA no longer fits on the M4A3, but it fires as fast as you can click)
    //showthrea...the-M44-magnum
    //showthrea...-who-uses-them
    //showthrea...t-sidearm-POLL
    //showthrea...Handed-weapons

2.5 EXPLOSIVES

M40-types & M15s
    Fire on the tile. Grenade explodes after a random amount of time.
    Can be used as a weak trap, and they're very easy to cover up.
    It works sometimes. They can run away, however.

M20 Claymores
    My favourite because of the amount of things you can do with it using a flamethrower compared to a normal boom rock.

You have three things you can do with a claymore:
    • Prime it and wait for xenos to come, apply fire after they have walked into the (hopefully concealed!) claymore. A non-marine walking into the claymore will create a small 3x3 explosion. This will not kill even a young runner, so make sure to have extra explosives, claymores or marines ready to finish them off. However, it will force a xeno to retreat. Placing this at chokepoints, even during a push, can be useful stopping a runner get by. Just be aware that though marines can't detonate the explosion, they can get hurt by it, and survivors and other non-marines can still activate the claymore.
    • Prime it and apply fire to the claymore. This forcefully detonates the claymore, which creates a small explosion before anything walks into it. Can be used to blow adjacent explosives (such as welder fuel tanks), blow up enemies not approaching from the front of the claymore or launch items with the force of the explosion. Non-OT claymores are not very strong , so you'll have to be creative.
    • Apply fire or explosion to the claymore item. This creates a buckshot-like shot on the direction it is facing.
      The direction it is facing is determined by either the direction it was thrown, or the direction your character was facing when you dropped it. Has a 0% chance of hitting anyone behind it or next to it. As such, it is great for avoiding FF. Can be used to quickly apply damage in a pinch, such as when a ravager is approaching.

Welder Fuel tanks
    The welderbomb. Fairly common, and there's quite a few on the map. Apply fire or explosion.
    Can be detonated from range. Explosion is very weak when detonated from range. Blowing it up directly results in a huge explosion that gibs things around it (I gibbed a healthy warrior and completely blew up an entire room last time I did this), but you're going to get gibbed too. Adjacent explosions or shrapnel from, say, a grenade, can also blow it up.
    Can also be used to get welder fuel, which is most useful for a miniflamer. Ironically, the intended use is the most useless here.

2.6. KITS I RECOMMEND

M240 Pyrotechnician Support Kit (45 Points)
    Gives access to the M240A1 Incinerator Unit, the G4-1 Fuel Tank, a pocket fire extinguisher as well as two napalm tanks and a gel tank.
    The M240A1 is worth this kit on its own. The G4-1 is a good option if you prefer a more suppressive style of gameplay. The gel tank is extremely useful for clearing purple sacs or resin, as well as detonating explosives from a distance further than normal napalm if needed.
    The pocket fire extinguisher is available from the MarineMed, and the napalm tanks are available from requisitions if you need more.

Frontline M40 Grenadier Kit (45 points)
    Contains the M276 pattern M40 HEDP rig, explosive pouch, three HEDP and three HIDP grenades. While the grenades can be ordered at requisitons, the belt and the pouch cannot. This is valuable if you want (very) easy access to nades, as you can easily bombard a runner or queen, set up improvised traps (remember what I said about m40s detonating?) or store stupid amounts of claymores to hurl & detonate at will. Other than that it's completely useless. This kit has a bad reputation for a reason, but is still somewhat useful if you don't want a G4-1 and see that nobody's taken the SL's flamethrower yet.

Personal Defense Kit (45 points)
    Contains a pre-loaded VP78 pistol, 5 magazines for it, a pistol belt to store it in, a RDS and a LS. Useful if the spec's VP78 is not available, otherwise ignore as everything except for the VP78 itself can be ordered at requisitions.

L42A Support Kit (45 points)
    Just get the stuff from requisitions. I only recommend it because having a L42A is very useful to finish off foes from afar, if you've got everything else.. you should probably take the minimedic or miniengie kit instead, but you can take this if you feel like your requisitions orders are piling up too much.

Combat Technician Support Kit (45 points)
    Blowtorch bolsters your weed clearing abilities significantly. Rest is very useful and relieves engies of their worries tenfold, but is not useful for a flamethrower other than filling tanks with welder fuel if you run out.

First Response Medical Support Kit (45 points)
    Good for ungaing around and healing casualties of your idiocy. The SensorHud Mate on its own is useful for being able to burn bodies that you now know are permadead, rather than hesitating because you believe them to still be alive or revivable. The extra supplies and medic ability helps significantly in healing both yourself and people you have almost turned into husks, allowing you to peform more risky manouvers - such as baiting a xeno by running through your own fire - safely and being able to shrug off the pain with tramadol as you heal with kelotane.

3. TACTICS
    Being primarily an area denial weapon, tactics are vital to using a flamethrower. Predicting what others will do and making a decision to either prevent or punish them is a key part to becoming robust at burning everything alive.

3.1 WAYS TO PUT OUT THE FIRE
    (Because we're all idiots, all the time)

If you've set someone on fire, by accident or on purpose, and you don't want them to be on fire anymore, then you need to extinguish them. You can:
    • Put them out by clicking on them with the Help intent repeatedly
    • Get a pocket extinguisher (small-sized, holds 30u of water, uncommon), toggle the safety off (click on the extinguisher) and click PAST THEM, or click ON YOUR CHARACTER to extinguish yourself.
    • Get an extinguisher (medium-sized, holds 50u of water, common), toggle the safety off (click on the extinguisher) and click PAST THEM, or click ON YOUR CHARACTER to extinguish yourself.
    • If you're the one on fire, resist or use a flamethrower.
    • DO NOT PANIC if you've set someone on fire. Quickly blast them with the water in your extinguisher to put them out. If fire is put out quickly, it is by far the easiest to heal damage type, as it can be solved in a single dose of kelotane and is not caused by, or causes, organ damage or IB.

3.2 ON THE TOPIC OF IMMUNITY

Immunity is a controversial topic. Some people like it, a lot of people don't like it. However, immunity is a very hard counter to your fire, and requires that you know more about the flamethrower than 'Ooga booga I light xenomorph on fire!' as you chant and dance around the pilot light of the flamethrower. Something I think many people forget when looking at the flamethrower's inability to damage queens or ravagers is that if all we had to face were queens and ravagers, colonial marines would be a very easy game.

QUEENS
    Queens are the top of the hive. Naturally, this means they are immune to fire. Nothing much to say for this one, if you're fighting it alone, you're already dead.
    Xenos are usually near queens, burn them unless they're a ravager.

RAVAGERS
    Your arch nemesis. DO NOT TRY TO BURN A RAVAGER. A common misconception that I see is that people think it is immune. This is false. It is worse. Not only is it immune, it gains increased walkspeed, completely replenishes plasma and removes all active cooldowns when it is directly hit by fire (unless they nerfed it).
    Always run away from a healthy ravager. It will find you, and it will kill you. If you've got something that can tell it to fuck off while you run, such as an SMG or L42, use it. Whatever you do, DO NOT TRY TO BURN A RAVAGER. It will kill you even faster than it did before.
    This is the sole reason that you always carry a non-fire weapon or grenade with you at all times, even if it's just a training grenade. Be careful, however, as ravagers are nade-resistant as well.

3.3 COMMON USES FOR THE FLAMETHROWER

Covering the Boiler's Cloud
    The boiler acid cloud provides xenos cover to push or hide in. However, it also hides anything that's inside the cloud for them.
    This means that they cannot see your fire. This also means they will walk straight into your fire.
    However, it also means that humans will not be able to see the fire, either. Be careful not to burn anyone to a husk; the cloud already deals good burn damage, being set on fire is sure to finish them off.

Suppressive Fire
    Simply cover flanks and create 'artificial' chokepoints. This includes:
    • Create a line of fire on flanks, giving a real 'fuck off' factor to any non-ravager and non-queen xenomorphs trying to flank
    • Forcing xenomorphs (such as runners) to slow down. It'll a pinata party if there's marines there, with a dead xenomorph as the prize in the pinata. You can also just flame them anyways after they've been shot enough.
    • Covering cadelines until the engineers can fill the gap, also allows them to place the cade without any chance of a runner going through the hole in the cadeline
    • Creating artificial chokepoints, meaning xenos such as crushers will be much, MUCH less effective
    • Creating cover against melee xenos (spitters ect. will still be able to fire at will though). Extra points if you scream 'SARGE!' every time you do this.

Forced Retreat
    It's common sense that if a xenomorph is on fire, they will retreat. So if you're surrounded by non-ravager enemies, simply: burn them to hell and back!
    It'll put them out of the fight for a while, allowing you and your comrades to fight the more dangerous xenomorphs attacking that might be immune to your fire.
    Just be careful not to flame a ravager while doing this.

Anti-Facehuggers
    A facehugger held by a xenomorph on fire will die. Every type of fuel can make use of this. This means you can:
    • Prevent a facehugger rush by creating a wall of fire they cannot walk through without killing the huggers
    • Flame something (e.g a carrier) before a queen screech to stop them throwing facehuggers while everybody is stunned
    • Shoot a flare with the flare gun at a carrier from a safe distance, mess up their plans before they even start

Lighter
    Imagine all the uses of a lighter, but it doubles as a flamethrower. Yeah. The miniflamethrower, or the M240A1 with the pilot light, can both be used in most of the ways that a normal lighter can. Yes, there are special messages for lighting a cigarrette, purely for special people.

Damage
    When on fire, a xenomorph will have no way to heal, as well as being slowly damaged. This is bad for said xenomorph.
    Combining this with a push, a good-damage weapon, others good-damaging weapons or just chasing them and keep setting them on fire every time they try to extinguish themself will kill that xeno.
    It can also lead you to more xenomorphs who are trying to put said xenomorph out, so be careful.
    Weapons such as the M37 or VP78 are especially good for this, just be careful about killing yourself if you're PBing them.

3.4 MOVEMENT WITH THE FLAMETHROWER
    (Specifically, the M240A1)

The flamethrower is about anticipating what a xenomorph will do, and either damaging it, or preventing it from doing what it wants to do in advance.
    To do this, you need both the knowledge of what that xenomorph is about to do, and the ablility to do that.
    Without a flamethrower, you do not have the power to prevent it. Without movement, you cannot move in time to place yourself in a position where you are able to counter the xenomorph's movements.
    This is why movement with a flamethrower is so vital. Depending on your position, the flames will travel in a different way. This can be extemely useful in cornering a xenomorph in a particular way.
    Wielding the M240A1 will slow you down considerably. Therefore, movement can be split into three sections:
    • Before firing the flamethrower, pre-emptive movement - normal - predict the enemy's movement, place yourself in a good position to block/kill
    • While firing the flamethrower, wielded movement - slower - wield, fire, unwield the flamethrower
    • After firing the flamethrower, disengagement movement - normal - run away

Each of these types of movement are important in their own way, and each can be sped up with the use of either lighter armour or hyperzine. Armour is the most common, reliable and probably better option, while hyperzine is the dumber, riskier and emergency option.

ARMOUR
    There are three types of armour commonly available to a PFC - Light, Medium and Heavy.
    Light armour almost guarantees a broken bone or organ damage, whether from marine or from xenomorph. You're much squishier in exchange for a lot of acid resistance and slightly higher movement speed.
    Medium armour is a good bridge between Light and Heavy armours. It gives an extra slot for storage, and you won't be too damaged each time you almost die. Broken bones are fairly common, but only if you get heavily damaged. Needing to be evaced is rare.
    Heavy armour is slower, but even a death from a ravager means you can still be revived. Broken bones or fractures are rare, but you're slow.
    Fire suits, which are in the fire closets around the Almayer or on the planet, provide good protection against fire. However, it slows you down, doesn't give a suit slot and does not protect at all against other sources of damage. Can be useful if you need to run through your own flames, which is usually a bad idea, or if you keep getting dragged through fire and you're sick of that shit. Illegal to wear one outside of absolute emergencies and MPs will arrest you on sight.

HYPERZINE
    Hyperzine, while useful, requires one hand to drink/inject, and has a small chance of damaging your heart every time it metabolises (every second, or 25 times a sip, if it's pure hyperzine)
    This means that one sip from a flask (5u of hyperzine) is rolling a dice. Lucky? You survive, with minor heart damage. Unlucky, you are heartbroken and will die without peridaxon or surgery. This means you need to dilute it. I usually put 20u mixed another common liquid, such as tea, which only lasts for a third of the time but has a much smaller chance of killing you. Even then, the chance of minor heart damage is relatively high, and as such, hyperzine can only be used as an emergency drug for emergency situations which you would otherwise die in.

3.5 BALD/BALLSY/SUICIDAL XENOS

Sometimes, a xeno will decide to tackle someone and drag them through the fire that you placed down. This will, obviously, set them on fire as well. If the fire is dangerous then the xeno will be on fire and panicking, if the fire isn't dangerous the marine dragged won't be in danger either.
    Dispatching the xeno is second priority, but if you think you can do it before the marine burns to a husk, kill or make the xeno run away, then extinguish the marine. DO NOT chase after the xeno before extinguishing the marine, if it ran away. Saving that marine is the highest priority, if you get him out quick enough a few sips of KeloDerm will be enough. Buckshot is great for this, you can PB the xeno, take out the marine, quickly extinguish him with an extinguisher, call for help and start chasing after the xeno in about five seconds. Remember, saving the marine is top priority. Killing the xeno is second priority. Don't ruin someone's game because you want to kill a xeno, you powergaming unga.

Now, at the same time, some xenos are bald, ballsy or suicidal, and will chase you down just to metatarget you. You are a very appealing target if you are on fire. You can extinguish yourself with a single click and swig your flask of keloderm once or twice; the xenomorph has to run away, resist to put themself out, then heal up the remaining damage. As such, walking through your own fire just to kill a xeno is a surprisingly reliable thing to do. It damages the xenomorph and makes them unable to fight much more than it does you, and provides you a very good opportunity to kill them. However, a xenomorph on fire will no longer give a flying fuck about any area denial you have created. They will either run away to extinguish themself, or die. If they are going to die anyway, they will cause as much destruction as they can before they die. That's yet another reason why you bring a sidearm; to finish them off before they do.

--
    4. A FINAL NOTE
    I think that covers it. I'm sure I've missed a lot, I tend to forget a lot. Please tell me about anything I should add, and notify me of any changes that I need to make. I hope it helped somewhat, and I hope it doesn't start too many misconceptions. Thank you for reading.
    Last edited by chipswithchops; 06-21-2020 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Added possible attachments to M240A1.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a flamewherfer PFC myself, this explains everything perfectly. For my sidearm, I either take the officer pistol or the VP one. Also, if you're 1v1ing a xeno(or 2v1 with a pussy marine), flame him, extinguish the flames if it blocks your path, get your secondary and chase him. If he decides to rest, gun him down, maybe flame him again to put stacks. If he won't rest(because he knows you're probably chasing him), he'll burn to death. Also, as a flamethrower marine, you're the only real counter for crushers. Make sure to flame those fuckers to oblivion. Also, in case you need to retreat, flame the path you're coming from, so xenos can't chase you.

Flamethrowing is very fun, but with so many sseths taking arms with this marine-killer weapon, it makes it a meme. If you're confident you won't fuck us all in the arse, give it a try! You would love it, or hate it. You'll see and I wish you good luck, fellow guide readers!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice

but sadly, those PFC/PVT that flames ravagers dont go to forum, so this guide is kinda pointless

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryth View Post
    Nice

but sadly, those PFC/PVT that flames ravagers dont go to forum, so this guide is kinda pointless
    The majority don't read the forums, some do. There's a small portion of people that are intimidated by the idea of accidentally burning the SL to a husk, others just haven't heard about not flaming ravagers or have heard that flamethrowers are shit and don't want to try them. Deadchat screams every time someone flames a ravager. Unfortunately, the living cannot hear deadchat. The guide also provides more information than just 'don't flame ravager' (I think. I may have put too much emphasis on that) which I hope will give people who believe the flamethrower to be useless another look at it, maybe from a different angle.