Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Furbnus - Commander Application

Commander Whitelist Application
    Byond ID?
    Furbnus

Player Name You Use Most?
    Hazel 'Smoke' Ray

Make a list of links to all of your applications and (job)ban appeals, including whitelist and staff apps, within the last year. Also, provide "Ban reason; Verdict" beside each (job)ban link
    N/A

Have you received any ban within the last month? How long was it and what for?
    Nope!

Do you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

How do you view the tool of Battlefield Execution to be used? What circumstances do you think it would be necessary to BE a member of the crew? Where do you think the Battlefield Execution Mechanic Differs from regular Execution and why?
    To clarify, a BE is a quick decision made by the CO to shoot or otherwise kill a crewmember that is posing a threat to the captain or others, while a normal execution goes through proper brigging procedures and results in an execution via firing squad or lethal injection. I believe a BE is an emergency tool to be used only under circumstances in which an individual is posing an immediate threat to the operation or the Captain himself, and even then is only to be used after other options have been considered and attempted. In the majority of situations it is better to allow to proper execution procedure to be followed, as it at least allows the guilty to have a chance to roleplay before they are removed from the round.
    -It gives the MPs a chance to do something, as barring roundstart and shenanigans from the CL they spend the majority of their time with little to do.
    -There is one thing I feel the BE has an advantage in, and that is the speed at which it can remove egregiously rule-breaking behaviour from the game, allowing the round to progress. A common example would be a CO BEing an active shooter in brief.

How will your Commanding Officer run his/her ship? Provide a detailed explanation on how he would handle situations that might commonly occur such as, a insubordinate Req, Engineering, MP, or Command Staff
    My CO would run her ship through a combination of promises of glory (most of which she will assure goes to herself), promises of wealth (which may or may not be true), and an ungodly amount of alcohol to end the day.
    In all seriousness, she would almost picture the ship as a body with herself sitting as the brain and the crew as the various limbs and organs. The body does not have to constantly remind itself to breathe, we just do it. The same can be said of the ship, 9/10 OPs req does not have to be told to send the FOB supplies and the OTs do not have to be told they need to reload the OB, but sometimes parts won't work properly and we have to give it encouragement. Threats of punishment are to be used only after they have been reminded that what they are doing is important to the operation as a whole.
    -Insubordinate Req would be handled first through attempting to convince them to get back to work, but in the event of failure would be met with them being brigged and replacements being assigned, or perhaps even assign an NJP if I think they would enjoy the RP. With how important req is, the situation must be handled quickly so that supplies can flow as quickly as possible.
    -Insubordinate Engi would be handled similarly to req, albeit with much less expediency as they aren't nearly as essential to the OP, OB grenades can wait, Spec Kits cannot.
    -MPs would be reminded that their whole purpose is to be loyal to CIC and ensure the law is upheld, if they insist then HC would be contacted and SOs or the XO deputized to arrest them on sight.
    -CIC would likely be the one I am most lenient on. I trust command staff's decisions enough to allow them significantly more leeway in how they handle their duties, but if it's clear they are maliciously attempting to undermine my authority I will have them brigged.

What do you think is the job of a Commander?
    First and foremost, I feel the Commanders job is to make the round fun. In my experience, if the CO isn't in the mood or just plain sucks, then the entire tone of the round is poor. Secondly, and the opinion I would imagine the majority of players feel should go first, is to ensure the operation is running as smoothly as they can. While I certainly do agree that is their occupation as would be listed in a job listing, if the Marines aren't having fun and the salt flows freely then there really isn't a point.

As a player what do you think could be added for Commanding Officer to benefit the role?
    -A tacmap in the COs comm console area (I know the comm console has one, but it just isn't the same.)
    -Better squad distribution console.
    -A closet with a few alternate outfits.

What do you think you could contribute by being whitelisted?
    I would like to add some fun to rounds during lowpop hours when I am usually online, and make sure the poor XO has someone to back him up. I believe I can add more of a roleplay focused character the CO roster, as the times I’ve had where some good RP has gotten rolling will stand out as some of the most fun times I’ve had in game. I’m not really in it to win 100% of the time although I do give it a good go, I’m just a guy who wants to have fun.

Your story (potential topics listed below)
    Every morning Hazel would look up at the beautiful shining gem of Earth from her window and wonder whether the cradle of humanity was different from her home on the moon. She would sit and think about the air, whether it tasted the same as that coming through the vent, or whether a ball would bounce quite as high when she tossed it to the floor. She vowed that one day she would ride a golden ship all the way to Earth and climb the highest peaks of the planet until she could see her home sitting in the sky, welcoming her back with it's beautiful smile. When she heard promises of adventure awaited with the USCM, she knew that her golden ship was waiting and she needed but merely hop aboard. Now, sitting in her quarters aboard the USS Thunderstrike, she thought about the myriad planets she had seen in her years as an officer. She thought of the scorched wasteland of Niadra and it's insurgents who had declared independence, to the windswept plains of Litina and their efforts to relieve a famine that had gripped its people.
    She thought of her most memorable operation on the planet Jewel, ironically named due to the frequent asteroids that peppered the surface, forcing the populace to live underground and mine it's precious minerals. A large pirate group had taken control of the colony and were forcing it's miners to give them all of their processed materials under the threat of death, understandably causing several colonists to contact the UA in secret. The USS Thunderstrike alongside the transport vessel USS Oriole and several smaller frigates moved to respond and cut a swath through the ramshackle pirate fleet, opening the planet up for assault. The nature of the colony meant that all fighting was underground, primarily in tight, winding mineshafts which forced defender and attacker alike to fight in hand-to-hand combat more often than not.
    Hazel led her team personally, comms being useless miles underground and relishing the chance to see a new world with her own eyes for a change. Hazel was tasked with capturing a spaceport that was supplying the remaining pirate ships in space, forcing them out of system and giving troops on the ground no way out. She and her team spent a full day navigating to their objective using maps, blasting charges and entrenching tools, only seeing combat once when one of their charges allowed them an unexpected but welcome ambush on several dazed pirates. When they finally made it to the port, they discovered that their intel had greatly underestimated the size of the installation, and decided her team was no longer on a Capture and Control mission, but a demolition mission. Using blood, sweat and explosives she and her men destroyed the anti-air guns defending the port, dooming it to the uncaring whims of space. When she returned to her place on the ship after the campaign she was lauded for her efforts, despite several among the company arguing she should be arrested for destroying such an expensive facility.
    She wondered if her old friends would be shocked at what she had become, and the places she seen. She thought even more upon the friends she had made in her time working through the ranks, from the stern faced Sergeants who always cracked when you got to know them or the wonderful morons who knew more than they ever let on. She thought about her parents, and whether they would be proud of what their little had become. These last thoughts were cut short however, by an announcement on the ship comms. Standing up she straightened her uniform and made for the door, putting her hardass persona on when she realized someone was waiting outside, "How many times do I have to tell you fuckers- oh, hello Haytham".
    The Synthetic smiled "I assure you, you're much more likeable when you aren't intentionally being unlikable."
    "What kind of dorky ass officer would I be if I was a nice guy? Imagine what the noncoms would say to the marines."
    "Well you had best put your mask back on then, most of the ship will be attending the ceremony. The Almayer is a beautiful vessel, the crew can be a bit... quirky at times but they're a good enough lot."
    "Well I certainly hope so, I reckon I'll be there a while."

Do you understand that you cannot advertise your application on any public platform for votes. Do you also understand you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Furb had me look at their app and IMO it looks fine. Only criticism is that you should play more XO. +1
    Nathon Stafford-Sunglasses wearing Delta L42 kiter man. Sometimes a Captain.
    Benedict-Praiser of Jesus, healer of marines, killer of Queens.
    Kahn'Ikesh-Blooded Hunter and great grandson of Gor'don Ram-sey
    (pfp by Manezinho)
    medals:https://pastebin.com/xiCJLuhz
    Mapper since 12/29/2020
    Had dev role assasinated on 8/2/21

Synth Councilor as of 2/5/21 along with Jakk, Frogzeke, Yukonsnow, and Flpls
    DM what#3954 for help with Synth Applications

Developer & CO Senator (Major General) naut's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had you as my XO (both under and over my command) and am happy to say you did pretty well.

Your app's good, and I don't have any problems with you, your character, or your experience. You do well in command and I look forward to seeing how you can do as Captain.

Giving this a +1! Good luck!
    Major General / Colonel Samantha 'Sammy' Maverick
    Colonel Chris 'Topher' Lawson
    Synthetic Tara

CO Senator (as of 3-19-21)
    ̶D̶e̶v̶e̶l̶o̶p̶e̶r̶ Maintainer (as of of 3-23-21)

I'm just someone trying her hardest to not get everyone horribly killed.

im an artist too! see my works at my art dump below
    //showthrea...aut-s-Art-Dump

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've reviewed your entire application quite thoroughly, after some examination here's what I have to say:

a) Your BE answer was spot on, I too would use it as a last resort to remove a member of the crew who is blatantly outright griefing. I just wished you expanded a little bit more on some extra examples other than the average briefing room shooters.

b) You see your CO as being the head honcho, the tactician who makes all the decisions that occur; I liked how you mentioned each component of the ship as a limb or organ, all of which work in unison for the purpose of a common goal, to provide a winning outcome for the operation at hand. With this power of being at the helm it is good to frequently check in on each department however, leaving the OT's without reminders that the OB exists will lead them to become forgetful over time, Requisitions might become to focused on the FOB and not sending ammo or basic materials to a squad trying to fortify in a rowdy area, remember you have a full crew to your disposal, make them work.

c) While I agree with you that the job of the Captain is to make the round enjoyable for everyone playing, it is also an RP tool used to guide the marines in the right direction, to set objectives for each to follow in the long run.

d) What you bring to being Whitelisted is interesting, your not in it to win it 100% of the time but to provide fun for others, that is fine by me; but sometime you will encounter Marines who care about achieving that Major, and expect a firm military CO. Will you be able to deal with the heat that you might encounter?

e) I did find your story overall quite lacking, it did show me your CO's character near the end a little bit, but not really how they care to lead in the grand scheme of things. You brought us through a past operation that your CO was a part of, sure their was a little bit of action and strategy used; but, it was overall a little underwhelming.

QUESTION TIME:

1: A Doctor has been deliberately OD'ing patients on Tramadol for giggles, you order his arrest in return. The MP's manage to track him down hiding in maint, while in cuffs they drag the Doctor to you, while in custody you decide to BE him, is this a valid BE?

2: The ground operation is failing miserably, you decide that you must deploy to aid your men and coordinate the FOB, you have two SO's in CIC, can you deploy?

3: You issue orders for Delta to push deep into enemy lines against several Xenomorphs, Delta is becoming diminished and the SL orders his men to fallback against your orders. What do you do?
    Mentor 1st Mar, 2020 - 11th Apr, 2020
    Trial Moderator 11th Apr, 2020 - 23rd Apr, 2020
    Moderator 23rd Apr, 2020 - 31st Aug, 2020
    Senior Moderator 31st Aug, 2020 - 8th Oct, 2020
    Trial Administrator 8th Oct, 2020 - 6th Nov, 2020
    Administrator 6th Nov, 2020 - 21st Feb, 2021
    Moderator Manager 21st Feb, 2021 - 11th Jul, 2021
    Administrator Manager 11th Jul, 2021 - 8th Aug, 2021

Administrator 12th Oct, 2022 - Present

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had you as my Executive Officer during many campaigns that I have led in the Herculis and the Tychon's Rift sector. Together, we have countered several threats to the human race and to the United States Colonial Marines Corps. You did an excellent job by maintaining the operation stable and with a marine momentum going. You know what you're doing, when to use announcements and how you should lead your marines to their maximum morale.

The application's answers have no problem. Just remember that as a CO, some marines will try to do anything at their reach to take you down, not all COs can stop mutinies or riots from igniting. While I have never been mutinied, try to initiate a diplomatic approach to seditious and insubordinate marines and they might listen to you. If they do not want to listen to you at all costs, then may God and High Command have mercy upon their souls.

I have no problems with you in-game and I have not heard anything negative about you.

Based on the above reasons, I will be leaving a POSITIVE vote. I am willing to meet you in the CO channel soon.
    I play as Viktor 'Beer' Kleiner, Matthaus and as Var'dqi Bo'ytill

LT COL. VIKTOR KLEINER, USS LOWË'S COMMANDING OFFICER

PROVISIONAL COMMAND OVER THE USS ALMAYER

Ex-CO Councillor. If you have any questions regarding the whitelist, feel free to DM me.
    Discord is Axyinious#3635

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Furbunus contacted me on Discord to help review their app, they clearly listened to all the advice given by myself and others and will make for a solid commander. Their answers are all good and show they clearly cared about trying to learn what makes a CO good and fun.

I just have a couple of questions, basically all I wanna see before I give you my +1 is some solid answers to these.

You order the LZ to be lightly defended and the FOB to be built somewhere other than the LZ, such as Trijent Dam's hospital or Prison Station's yard. Bravo is refusing to listen to you and instead fortify the LZ with all of their materials. What do you do?

Your RO is bald and so are the CTs. There's no synth and no XO. What do you do to help deal with the supply issues that will inevitably happen due to this?

Give me an example of a nonstandard plan, ie one that does not follow the meta.

What will your preferred location to give briefing be? CIC with only the SLs and CIC staff, the hangar, the R&R room, briefing room, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctorprobe69 View Post
    I've reviewed your entire application quite thoroughly, after some examination here's what I have to say:

a) Your BE answer was spot on, I too would use it as a last resort to remove a member of the crew who is blatantly outright griefing. I just wished you expanded a little bit more on some extra examples other than the average briefing room shooters.

b) You see your CO as being the head honcho, the tactician who makes all the decisions that occur; I liked how you mentioned each component of the ship as a limb or organ, all of which work in unison for the purpose of a common goal, to provide a winning outcome for the operation at hand. With this power of being at the helm it is good to frequently check in on each department however, leaving the OT's without reminders that the OB exists will lead them to become forgetful over time, Requisitions might become to focused on the FOB and not sending ammo or basic materials to a squad trying to fortify in a rowdy area, remember you have a full crew to your disposal, make them work.

c) While I agree with you that the job of the Captain is to make the round enjoyable for everyone playing, it is also an RP tool used to guide the marines in the right direction, to set objectives for each to follow in the long run.

d) What you bring to being Whitelisted is interesting, your not in it to win it 100% of the time but to provide fun for others, that is fine by me; but sometime you will encounter Marines who care about achieving that Major, and expect a firm military CO. Will you be able to deal with the heat that you might encounter?

e) I did find your story overall quite lacking, it did show me your CO's character near the end a little bit, but not really how they care to lead in the grand scheme of things. You brought us through a past operation that your CO was a part of, sure their was a little bit of action and strategy used; but, it was overall a little underwhelming.

QUESTION TIME:

1: A Doctor has been deliberately OD'ing patients on Tramadol for giggles, you order his arrest in return. The MP's manage to track him down hiding in maint, while in cuffs they drag the Doctor to you, while in custody you decide to BE him, is this a valid BE?

2: The ground operation is failing miserably, you decide that you must deploy to aid your men and coordinate the FOB, you have two SO's in CIC, can you deploy?

3: You issue orders for Delta to push deep into enemy lines against several Xenomorphs, Delta is becoming diminished and the SL orders his men to fallback against your orders. What do you do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Just L View Post
    Furbunus contacted me on Discord to help review their app, they clearly listened to all the advice given by myself and others and will make for a solid commander. Their answers are all good and show they clearly cared about trying to learn what makes a CO good and fun.

I just have a couple of questions, basically all I wanna see before I give you my +1 is some solid answers to these.

You order the LZ to be lightly defended and the FOB to be built somewhere other than the LZ, such as Trijent Dam's hospital or Prison Station's yard. Bravo is refusing to listen to you and instead fortify the LZ with all of their materials. What do you do?

Your RO is bald and so are the CTs. There's no synth and no XO. What do you do to help deal with the supply issues that will inevitably happen due to this?

Give me an example of a nonstandard plan, ie one that does not follow the meta.

What will your preferred location to give briefing be? CIC with only the SLs and CIC staff, the hangar, the R&R room, briefing room, etc.
    First of all I would like to think every single person who gave me advice on my app, as Orlando said I took all of it under consideration to try and make my app as good as it could be and without their help I probably wouldn't have had the balls to post this. One more shout out to old man DexFiles who gave me the initial push to write this in the first place. To answer Doctor's questions:
    1. No, this is not a valid BE. To quote the wiki "The Captain may perform Battlefield Executions. This means they may personally execute anyone under their authority on the ship or Area of Operations without warning or procedure unless in MP Custody," as he is under custody, he cannot be battlefield executed.
    2. Yes, you may, although personally I find that ill-advised. The CO may deploy provided that he leaves the XO in charge of CIC to take over for him, OR if he leaves an officer of Lieutenant or higher in his place, thus allowing you to leave one of the SOs in charge of CIC while you deploy.
    3. This question is tough, as I put a lot of faith in the judgement of SLs, especially from Delta. In this situation I believe I would allow Delta to fallback if the SL believes it is warranted, but I would likely transfer other forces to assist them as if they are behind enemy lines it is entirely possible they are cut off and have no path to retreat.
    To answer your question on whether I can handle any heat I might get from my attitude towards winning all of the time, I believe that I can yes. Both IC and OOC I don't see myself getting worked up when someone else gets salty that we didn't get the major.
    And now to answer Orlando's questions:
    1. Send the SEA to assist them, considering how well they do I doubt he even had to be told to help to begin with.
    2. I really like the idea of using the main LZ to send Apha, Bravo and Charlie down while CAS is used once to send Delta. I feel this would allow them to organize themselves better and move more as whole, as considering they are always the largest squad they always have trouble sticking together.
    3. Briefing, with SL attendance mandatory. I think it's important for everyone to hear what the CO has to say and move to the hangar together. In my experience, if the CO is able to make the briefing fun, the troops are much more likely to follow his orders.
    Last edited by Furbnus; 05-25-2020 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Answered a question I forgot about from Doctor.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aight cool, these are all solid answers. Something to keep in mind is that briefing in CIC with only the SLs has an added benefit that most don't realize—you can talk to the SLs and get their input on the plan, since they will be the ones actually executing it. Briefing in the briefing room only lets you shout your orders at everyone.

There won't always be a SEA around, so I do suggest playing a few rounds as RO if you haven't already so you know how to run req well when you roll CO.

+1

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based on my experience on Solaris round where you playing as Executive under Captain Nathon and your previous rounds as well.

You frequently ignored your Squad Leaders and their analysis of the situation on the ground. You also ignored your SO. The result was you ordering an offensive for far longer than it was sustainable, and failing to organise an evacuation, leading to a total planetside wipe. Don't just rely everything to the CO. You're rife with indecision. Referring back to the excessively prolonged offensive, you got caught up in an argument about what actually to do, rather than committing to any serious action. You did not communicate with your squads. Had you done so, you would have noticed that Bravo or even other squad reported a breach every area of the FOB, but you didn't. Even if you did notice the breach, you did not retract the order and organise an evacuation as you should have done so. You rely again everything to the CO. You seemed to have a lack of understanding in the basics of overwatch itself and even then, you freaked a little bit when you weren’t able to understand what was wrong and to me, this could present a problem in itself as a CO later on.

Tbh, I politely suggest gaining more experience first, as your understanding of the actions that the marine mass and the community, in general, will take under different situations seems very lacking. Your leadership and communication also seem to be slightly sub-standard, you should talk to your squad more when you are overwatching, and provide them with more valuable intel, such as where the other squads have reported the enemies to be and taking the initiative to issue flanks and other orders.

Therefore, I don't think you are personally ready for CO. I believe you need a little more time in Command positions to really show whether or not you have the stuff. I've observed a couple rounds with you as XO now and I have not been impressed, no hard feelings.

-1, we don't need more COs who all the marines hate as soon as they walk out of cryo. Again, no hard feelings. Just my opinion. Afterall, it's up to our Commodores.
    Last edited by Enyonggg; 05-26-2020 at 04:23 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I lost my trust to any players that are applying for Captain whitelist, I gave them my vote but everything is wasted because not everyone are willing to take it seriously everytime they went captain role.

Sometimes I do not understand, 1 or 2 weeks playing XO or a month isn't even enough to get the WL. CO council are accepting players who are not even ready because the vote of others and they will regret if they found out the performance of a player they accepted is pretty poor.

And Hazel your performance as XO is extremely poor, I don't trust your skills at all. Play at least 2 or 3 months as XO and familiarize the map. You don't familiarize the map base on my observation. -1

PS: CO council, your standards for players that are applying for CO is low.

Community Mentor
    11-14-2019