User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about AMMO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question about AMMO

How come a 9mm round From M4A3 mag wont fit in a 9mm round VP78 MAG?...ITS A 9MM!!!! Im trying to reload the VP78 mags with extra ammo from M4A3 mags and i cant...so once the three mags with the VP78 are spent...its trash.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the 9mm round fired from the M4A3 is a Heavy Pistol Round while the VP-78 Round is a squash-head round

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For either simplicity of code or mechanical/balance reasons, you cannot mix different ammo types of the same caliber. This applies even if the magazine in question is empty, so you cannot load 10x24 rounds in an empty 10x24 AP magazine, even though logically it'd just make it a normal magazine. I presume this is to avoid people making more AP mags, since loose ammo is cheaper than magazines, or something along those lines. What's kind of silly is that back in the day, the M4A3 used to fire regular, not heavy 9mm, which left it cross compatible with the 9mm used by the Beretta. Now, inexplicably, the two are incompatible, because the M4A3 uses heavy bullets, now. I guess maybe around the time that the damage buff came around, we upgraded to +p rounds or something.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roaven View Post
    For either simplicity of code or mechanical/balance reasons, you cannot mix different ammo types of the same caliber. This applies even if the magazine in question is empty, so you cannot load 10x24 rounds in an empty 10x24 AP magazine, even though logically it'd just make it a normal magazine. I presume this is to avoid people making more AP mags, since loose ammo is cheaper than magazines, or something along those lines. What's kind of silly is that back in the day, the M4A3 used to fire regular, not heavy 9mm, which left it cross compatible with the 9mm used by the Beretta. Now, inexplicably, the two are incompatible, because the M4A3 uses heavy bullets, now. I guess maybe around the time that the damage buff came around, we upgraded to +p rounds or something.
    The real reason why you can't load ap ammo in regular mags and vise versa is that you don't actually load bullets into mags, you delete the bullets and increment a counter on the mag.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by juliansl View Post
    The real reason why you can't load ap ammo in regular mags and vise versa is that you don't actually load bullets into mags, you delete the bullets and increment a counter on the mag.
    So just a class that's an array of ints. Why not have an array of ammo then query it type each time you fire?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    So just a class that's an array of ints. Why not have an array of ammo then query it type each time you fire?
    No devs are interested in doing it I guess. If only they would just go ahead and open source this soon, we could just make a pull request.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by juliansl View Post
    No devs are interested in doing it I guess. If only they would just go ahead and open source this soon, we could just make a pull request.
    I'll do it myself if they don't open source by the time SS14/UnityStation becomes popular, between the potato development cycle, mods strangling RP, and xeno hugboxing I kind of want to abandon ship.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I'll do it myself if they don't open source by the time SS14/UnityStation becomes popular, between the potato development cycle, mods strangling RP, and xeno hugboxing I kind of want to abandon ship.
    Yeah I really don't get what's taking so long with going open source, it's not like it's hard. Just give devs a week to merge branches and then download the whole thing, delete the .git folder and then upload it to a public repo. That way you get an anonymised repo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roaven View Post
    I presume this is to avoid people making more AP mags, since loose ammo is cheaper than magazines, or something along those lines.
    Preventing regular clips from being changed to AP clips is a good reason. But the better reason is to prevent extended clips from becoming extended AP clips.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't say definitively, but I suspect the reason that the magazines are setup how that are is a combination of the balance concerns that were mentioned above and overhead concerns. All of the extra checks involved in shooting with array based magazines could show things down, and no one wants that.