User Tag List

Thread: Puckaboo2 - Developer Application (Spriter)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Puckaboo2 - Developer Application (Spriter)

Developer Application
    Byond ID?
    Puckaboo2 (Want to change to Ultimate Fluff)

Age?
    24 (25 in less than 2 weeks)

Gender?
    Non-binary (she, they)

How would you define yourself? (Coder, Mapper, Spriter):
    Mainly spriter, can map if needed, can code a little bit if I want to get an item I made into the game.

If Coder, what languages?
    DM, but I cannot code from scratch unless I pick up a pattern that I can replicate, which is easy for me to accomplish. I mostly add-in items, descriptions, loadouts, etc.

Any previous experience developing with SS13?
    Yes. I have coded in new chemicals, items, and loadout items like markings, objects, hair, clothes, etc. Mostly, I have sprited several object and species makeovers, and even new creations for an old SS13 server called NSS Eternal. Also coded and sprited little bit for Paradise Station.

Proof of any previous or current work:
    I have given Frans a compilation of my past works over the last few years. Contact my Discord at Ultimate Fluff#3520 and message me to receive the files I sent to Frans if he is not available to send them to you. I am currently working on upgrading the quality of the xenomorph sprites, too.

How well do you know Git?
    I have used git before for a year or so with a history of dozens of PRs, but that was a few years ago. My knowledge of it may be a bit rusty, especially if anything has changed.

Your primary job is server development, not policing the server. You may be given Moderator-level of access but you should *not* be invoking any administrative actions unless there are no moderators or Admins online. Do you understand?
    Yes

Anything else you'd like to add?
    I am a visual learner; I find it difficult to sprite without references, be it visual, description, or some sort of base or outline I can work with.
    Last edited by Puckaboo2; 05-27-2020 at 06:04 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Puckaboo2, thank you for applying for the spriter position.

Your work looks good and after discussing your app with the team, I’ve received no major concerns with issuing you the Spriter test. However before I do, I have a few questions I’d like you to answer. A simple yes/no works, however any further feedback that you may have is appreciated.

1. As a Spriter, your work is often the first to be noticed and potentially criticized by players. Sometimes, no matter what you say or do, there may be a person or three who dislike the change and are vocal about it. Were this to happen, do you think you would be able to handle their criticisms professionally?

2. As a Spriter, you’re typically free to work on your own projects as you see fit, however there will be times when a coder comes up with a new feature that requires sprites, or a mapper needs a sprite for a mapping project. In these instances, do you think you’d be able to, or willing to pause your work to assist them?

After you respond, I’ll issue you the Spriter test. I look forward to hearing back from ya.

Your 'Friendly' Neighborhood Captain, Frans Feiffer. Austrian Kommodore vith zie vorst accent, survivor of Space Vietnam, and Loving Caretaker of the Ungas Aboard the USS Almayer.
    Pred App that is now null lol
    Synthetic model Darwin

Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frans_Feiffer View Post
    Hello Puckaboo2, thank you for applying for the spriter position.

Your work looks good and after discussing your app with the team, I’ve received no major concerns with issuing you the Spriter test. However before I do, I have a few questions I’d like you to answer. A simple yes/no works, however any further feedback that you may have is appreciated.

1. As a Spriter, your work is often the first to be noticed and potentially criticized by players. Sometimes, no matter what you say or do, there may be a person or three who dislike the change and are vocal about it. Were this to happen, do you think you would be able to handle their criticisms professionally?

2. As a Spriter, you’re typically free to work on your own projects as you see fit, however there will be times when a coder comes up with a new feature that requires sprites, or a mapper needs a sprite for a mapping project. In these instances, do you think you’d be able to, or willing to pause your work to assist them?

After you respond, I’ll issue you the Spriter test. I look forward to hearing back from ya.
    1. It depends on if their criticism is constructive or destructive. If they give me ideas and instructions on what I could change about my style or the sprite specifically, I could give their advice a try, granted it does not stray from the demands of the staff and the overall community's standards. However, if they are shitposting and excessively insulting to where I can clearly tell they would rather beat my work to the ground instead of helping me build to the skies, I usually tell them that they are not helping their case and until they can provide constructive criticism in a civil manner, I would not acknowledge any further input from them.

2. My response would depend on the situation.

No:
    1. The skills required for the project are beyond my expertise and the project would be better off within another person's hands.
    2. The project has not been approved by staff or pending acceptance. I would rather not put effort into a project that may or may not be rejected.

Later:
    1. I am almost completely finished with my current project and would rather finish it first before I begin the next project.
    2. The project I am currently completing is on an upcoming deadline that I cannot afford to put aside.
    3. The project I am currently completing is much higher in priority to the heads than the project my colleagues propose.

Otherwise, yes!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dropping the message here that the Spriter Test has been issued to Puckaboo2. They have 2 weeks from today to complete the test and turn it in to myself.

Your 'Friendly' Neighborhood Captain, Frans Feiffer. Austrian Kommodore vith zie vorst accent, survivor of Space Vietnam, and Loving Caretaker of the Ungas Aboard the USS Almayer.
    Synthetic model Darwin

Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Puckaboo's test was turned in and overlooked by the Development team. I've already spoken with them over DM's about this, however at this time we believe they're not quite there yet to be a spriter for CM-SS13.

Resolved, denied. Applicant may reapply in 2 months.

Synthetic model Darwin

Spoiler Spoiler: