User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MattAtlas - Developer Application (Coder)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MattAtlas - Developer Application (Coder)

Developer Application
    Byond ID?
    MattAtlas

Age?

Gender?
    Male

How would you define yourself? (Coder, Mapper, Spriter):
    Coder

If Coder, what languages?
    C++, enough DM to understand how to code, however I'm not excellent at it.

Any previous experience developing with SS13?
    I've made a few basic PRs for Aurora, although most of my actual coding work is in my TGMC PRs.

Proof of any previous or current work:
    This is my github account with my Aurora and TGMC contribuitions: https://github.com/NonQueueingMatt/

This is my largest C++ project yet, though a few months old and in italian: https://pastebin.com/fnnh6Uia which I would do differently if I were to do it now. We had a few hard restrictions on it, namely no arrays and a limit of 12 variables. We hadn't done functions at the time either, so this was about 4 months ago.

How well do you know Git?
    I understand Git well enough to make PRs and solve merge conflicts. Regularly, I use GitKraken, the git bash CLI and a bit of VSC's inbuilt Git handler.

Your primary job is server development, not policing the server. You may be given Moderator-level of access but you should *not* be invoking any administrative actions unless there are no moderators or Admins online. Do you understand?
    Yes

Anything else you'd like to add?
    I have a lot of spare time, about 60 hours a week. I've learnt the basics of DM a while ago and do wish to keep improving, mainly by contributing for CM.

I'd like to focus on the neglected whitelist role mechanics right now, considering I have all 3 whitelists, I've been in two whitelist councilsl and I can code, I figure it'd be best if I focused on fixing their bugs and balance if at all possible. I understand this probably won't be the reality and I don't mind.

I understand that my age is the biggest concern, though I've chosen to post this application regardless. My main motivator is that I have nothing to lose and everything to gain, at best the requirement'll be reconsidered and at worst I'll just be denied and wait two years.
    Last edited by MattAtlas; 01-19-2019 at 12:30 PM.

Head Ukraine
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OOooooh, do tell me, is this why you left moderator team?

I'm not concerned about your age, as for me age is mostly a hint on how a person can react on criticism (including nonconstructive). But I seen you a lot and I seen how you behave.

So just respond on the first question and for me - you will be set

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I know that CM has a policy about hiring only 18+ coders or whatever, but I can safely assure you that Matt is probably more mature than any of us will ever be. He has a passion for the server and has talked for a long time about wanting to become a coder, to contribute to the server in a better way. I also happen to like a lot of the ideas he has been putting up, so that's a big plus from me.

There really isn't much to say that wasn't already said on his moderator app. Matt is a very liked guy for a reason and I doubt anyone has anything negative to say about him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NethIafins View Post
    OOooooh, do tell me, is this why you left moderator team?

I'm not concerned about your age, as for me age is mostly a hint on how a person can react on criticism (including nonconstructive). But I seen you a lot and I seen how you behave.

So just respond on the first question and for me - you will be set
    It was part of the reason yes, but the main reason I left the mod team was that I was still a bit burnt out of moderating.

Even before I applied I was always talking about how I wanted to be a dev to my friends - I picked up DM in August purely because I wanted to be a Coder here and I liked coding - I'm currently attending IT school and coding classes.
    Resident ex-punished Junior Developer and Coder, and ex three-time member of the Yautja Council, two-time member of the Synth Council.

See with your eyes, my army of flies, when no one's alive...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He may be 16 but he�s been around in the community besides having all the whitelisted, he also was a good mod. He�s also shown some responsibility as he�s been elected to two different councils.

I think he at least deserves a shot at a coding test.

Head Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am exceedingly concerned about the notion of introducing a minor to the dev team, regardless of their popularity.

I will say this: Social standing is mostly irrelevant in our considerations. My team operates on a basis of merit, not +1's in an app.

We will discuss this at the dev meeting tomorrow.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At 16, you can drive a car and fuck.

I believe you should be able to contribute to a meme game.

Manager Emeritus & System Administrator
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand there are concerns over his age, but during his short period as a TrialModerator, I thought he did a fantastic job and was extremely mature. For whatever it is worth, I believe in him.
    TrialModerator from 12/15/2018 to 12/29/2018
    Moderator from 12/29/2018 to 6/29/2019
    TrialAdmin from 6/29/2019 to 7/29/2019
    Admin from 7/29/2019 to 6/17/2021
    Manager from 6/17/2021 to ???
    ManagerEmeritus from ??? to ???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this thread should be evaluated only by staff members, but due to the controversy of the application (the appliant being younger than 18), I'd just like to note that other applications for developer have been turned down because of this reason and I myself would have applied to dev before were it not for my age even though I'm older than the appliant. Either the team accepts younger devs or sticks by the rules imposed in the apop era

Whitelisted Predator Skysoldier's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the general notion of whats being said, I have nothing ill against matt or anything but I believe we should either change the rules in general or stick to it, exceptions aren't that good.

But I do believe he is reasonably responisble enough past the age restriction.
    Marine: Musica 'Ham' Howard/Pred: Etka N'thal'eyal

Trial Moderator>Moderator>Trial Admin>Admin>Senior Moderator>Santa

You only live once, think about what you are doing, what you can do, what you will do. Don't make mistakes or regret your decisions, you will only ever make them once every time until it's over.