Byond ID?
    Ben11567

CM Character?
    Douglas King

Are you 16 or older?
    Yes

Timezone
    BST

On average, how many hours are you available per week to moderate?
    20-30

Qualifications

Do you have any previous experience in being staff (not just SS13)?
    Yes, as an admin on a couple of Gmod servers

Do you play any servers aside from CM-SS13?
    Terry Event Hall, Skyrat SS13

Provide links to any previous Colonial Marines applications that you've made:
    Can't find any in my recent notes, but if I'm remembering correctly a couple of years ago did submit a denied commander app.

Are you currently a staff member elsewhere (not just SS13)? If so, where?
    No

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on Colonial Marines?
    Yes, a permaban in September 2017 - for multikey and LRP, something which I stopped in 2018.

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on ANY server? If so, which server, when, and what for?
    Oracle, a server that's now gone. As captain I made a mistake of setting the AI to antimov instead of Asimov after a round of it being changed. By the time we figured it out a couple of crew members were killed, resulting in me being banned for the same amount of time if I killed them myself.

Are you familiar with the chat program Discord (its use is required)?
    Yes

Communication is a vital part of being a Moderator. Are you willing to actively do so with the team?
    Absolutely, my favourite part of joining a staff team is getting to know everybody and learning how people run their servers. Any chance to meet new people and help them with CM would be great.

Common Staff Situations

A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
    While the MP's deal with the issue IC, I would check the players notes and PM him asking what happened, so I can get his side of the story.

If the player is new to the game or doesn't have any similar notes, I would warn him for breaking Rule 4 and send him a link to the rules page suggesting he reads over it while in jail.

If the player has done actions like this before and been warned for it, I would proceed with a ban for the appropriate amount of time.

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
    First I would ask the player to tell me exactly what happened with the predator, while I went through the logs.

If the predator broke the honour code I would take no action, instead telling the player to get evidence of what happened and create a player report so the Council can decide if any rules were broke.

If the predator broke any general rules, for example rule 1, then I would first check the predators notes. If they don't have any notes similar to the current situation I would PM them and ask them to stop what they are currently doing. If they do and it was only a minor rule break I would give them a note and leave it up to the player to decide if they want to make a report against the predator.

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.
    At first I would see if anybody IC is going to help the player, for example a MP if they are lost or another marine. If that isn't the case I would contact a SEA and ask them to take care of the player.

If no mentors are online I would PM the player with a link to the quickstart guide, and assuming nothing happens before deployment that needs my attention, walk him through the basics of CM and SS13 so they can quickly get into the round.

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.
    The first thing I would do is stay calm when talking to the player and not argue back with them, maintaining professionalism.

Next I would explain that I am dealing with his situation and I am just here to help him out. I'd ask him to calm down so we can discuss what happened and that I am working to deal with his problem (I understand what it's like when you get frustrated over something that happened)

If the player carries on arguing I would give him a verbal warning that if he carries on he will be breaking rule 3. If he continues to act this way I would check his notes, and depending on the severity of his notes and behaviour now, either warn him or ban him for the appropriate time.

A player ahelps that a marine is named 'John Doe', how do you deal with this?
    I would first check the players notes to see if they are new to the server or have any notes similar to this situation. If they are new or don't have any notes I would PM them explaining that they are breaking rule 12 and send them a link to the rules page. I would then offer to change his name so he doesn't get in trouble again. I would then make a minor note, so if this happens again other members of staff know they have been warned about rule 12 and sent a link to read over it.

If the player has broken this rule before or refuses to change his name I would warn him and possibly ban him if the player has a long history of notes and seems to have no intention to rp.

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.
    If this is early/mid round I would leave it to MP's to deal with IC as it is just a breach in marine law.

If this occurred late round after the marines have evacuated I would PM the MT asking why they are in armour. If they respond saying that the xenos are going to board the ship I would explain to the player that he is breaking Rule 6 and ask him to return the armour and rifle until the marines have received a message warning that the xenos are boarding. I would leave a minor note that the player did this, so staff in the future can check in case they do it again.

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?
    I would first check the survivors notes and playtime to see how recent he is. Then I would check the logs and ask the marine to tell me what happened.

If it is a new player I would explain that currently hostile survivors are banned unless it is an admin event. I wouldn't ban him but would make sure he understands this for future rounds. I would instruct the survivor to be friendly towards the marines and Aheal the marine who was killed.

If the player has had recent activity as a survivor or similar notes to the current situation I would PM them once again explaining hostile survivors are banned. If the survivor has had a history of this since hostile survivors were banned, I would make a note then ban him for the appropriate time.

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.
    First I would check the logs to see if the player is telling the truth. Next I would check the MP's notes and playtime. If it was a new player I would send them a link to the MP wiki page, and marine law. I would explain to the MP that the crimes the player committed does not warrant permanent confinement, instead they should be put in a cell for a certain amount of time. I would then add a note to the MP and ask him to read through Marine Law and SOP before he next plays as MP.

If the MP has a history of breaking SOP I would warn them and possibly give them a jobban if they have a couple of notes relating to this issue.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
    As the Queen Mother I would message the hive and tell them that in order to survive they must go out and try to capture more hosts instead of hiding away.

If I needed to get the marines to attack I would contact the commander using fax, as high command, informing them that they need to take this colony at all costs, and that abandoning it is not an option.

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?
    I would ask the medic IC if they are new to the job. If they are I would explain to them that they should follow what their health scanner says and only give the amount of drugs recommended, and that if a medic is treating somebody they shouldn't also be giving drugs to that person. I would go to the patients and try to prevent the overdose, all while keeping it IC.

If the player isn't a new medic and chooses to ignore me I would ahelp and let another member of staff take care of the situation since I was directly involved.

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.
    I would explain to the CLF member that this is allowed as CLF and USCM are enemies, and EORG only applies to friendlies.

A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims.
    If possible I would let the MP's deal with this situation IC. If the marine has no notes similar to this situation I would give him a note and PM him explaining how he is breaking rule 2 and also ruining other peoples rounds.

If the player has a history of breaking rule 2 I would make a note and ban him for the appropriate time.

If the marine escalates this further and ends up breaking rule 4, I would warn him and ban him for the appropriate time, explaining how he is griefing, intentional or not and needs to stop.

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.
    First I would check the logs and the players notes. If the marine had no similar notes to this situation I would PM them and explain that they are breaking rule 14, they can't escalate a fistfight straight into a gun fight. I would then add a note and warn the player.

If the player has a history of improper escalation and breaking rule 14 I would ban him for the appropriate time, suggesting they read over the rules again.

I would then revive the dead marine so they can continue playing the game.

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?
    I would first send an OCC message to the mutineers explaining that they don't have a justified reason for a mutiny and they didn't ask permission.

If the leader of the mutiny ignores me, I would PM them once again explaining that they don't have permission or a proper reason to mutiny and link them to rule 17.

If they try to continue the mutiny I would send another OOC message warning that everybody involved will face punishment if they mutiny. If people still mutiny I would warn them and possibly ban them if they have a history of this for the appropriate time.

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
    Minor racism in IC is allowed. I would check the logs to make sure they aren't shouting majorly racist comments. I would PM the player who got offended explaining this, and advice him to try to move away from those making the comments if they are getting offended.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
    Since there is no way to communicate with the marine I would ban them for the appropriate time and begin to revive any marines that were killed.

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.
    First I would check the xenos playtime/note history. If they are new or have no notes similar to this situation I would explain to them that going to the frontline as a larva is against the rules and could result in a ban. I would give the player a note.

If the player isn't new or has a history of doing this I would warn them and possibly ban them depending on their note history.

It is also possible that the xeno didn't mean to run straight towards the marines depending on when in the round this happens. If the marines are about to enter the hive and the xeno runs the wrong way I wouldn't warn them, but ignore it due to the circumstances.

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen.
    If the player is new or has no notes similar to the situation I would explain that they are breaking rule 2 and should stay in character at all times. I would also send the player a link to the xeno wiki and make sure they know they are part of a hivemind and must follow the queens orders and cant insult her. I would give the player a note.

If the player has a history of doing this I would warn them and possibly ban them from xeno depending on how big their note history is.

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a "dropship". A different Xeno player ahelps that it's low role play to call it a "dropship".
    I would message the player who reported it and explain that the xeno isn't breaking any rules when they called the shuttle a dropship. Many times xeno players are in the middle of battle and are too distracted to come up with/think of names for marine weapons or vehicles and that calling them by their real name is an acceptable thing and not breaking any rules.

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.
    I would PM the commander telling them that while they know xenos exist, they don't know they are on the planet, it might be one of the few threats that they could face but it isn't confirmed.

If the commander knows because it is part of an admin event I would PM the player explaining this.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.
    First I would check the logs and player notes. If there was no attempt to rp and instead the player uses improper escalation I would explain that they have broken rule 14. I would then give the player a note and possibly ban them depending on their note history.

If proper rp and escalation was used I would explain to the players that it was all done in IC and staff can't get involved.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an 'idiot' and a 'retard'.
    I would ignore the messages that the player is saying, things like this don't bother me. However if the player starts breaking rules while doing this, like rule 3, I would alert another member of staff to handle the situation as I was personally involved.

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?
    I would message them saying that this is an IC issue so I cannot remove it from them.

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.
    I would message the member of staff and explain that the information they gave was wrong and link them to the rule or bit of information they got wrong. I would let that staff handle the situation from there, with there being no need for me to get involved, which is what I would want to happen if I made a mistake.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?
    I would not get involved in the situation if I wasn't witness to the rules the player broke. If the arguing carries on I would contact a manager and let them deal with the two members of staff.

Why would you like to become a moderator?
    I've played SS13 and CM for a couple of years now, I started off as a toxic player who had no intention to rp. However over time I have learnt to love this game and community. I know what it's like to be a player who breaks rules, so I can understand what somebody feels like when they get in trouble. I also love this community and what it's managed to do, bring together a group of loyal fans and let them play in the universe they love watching. I want to help this community grow and become stronger, meeting new people and making sure those who are new or just trying to have fun can do that without their rounds being ruined.

In your opinion, what is the most important quality for a moderator?
    In my opinion it is professionalism . If a moderator doesn't have professionalism and abuses their power while ignoring their duties they shouldn't have that power.

A mod should also have patience. They deal with a lot of angry players who have had their rounds ruined or toxic players who just want to cause trouble, a mod should stay calm and try to defuse the situation instead of starting fights.

Finally a mod should have understanding, A lot of people who break rules don't want to be toxic players but instead made a mistake or didn't read over them properly. Everybody is here to have a good time and shouldn't be unfairly punished if they didn't mean to do anything wrong.

Anything else you
    I understand that my note history is very bad, with a permaban. However that is in the past, and being a player who was permabanned will help me understand what is going through peoples heads. I hope my note history and behaviour in game also shows that I have improved, with all my jobbans being lifted and no bans since my perma.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya answers are decent enough like ya said your note history is not the best but I can see ya tried to improve with only one note so far this year the kicker here is I have never seen ya in game at all and taking a look at ya playtime I can see why as ya have only 28hrs logged in this month and then April ya didn't even spend 1 hour on the server while I want to give ya +1 here ya time is not up to standard but don't fret use June to show us that ya want to become a mod by boosting ya playtime if ya June playtime is great enough I'll +1 this for sure but for now -1

Whitelisted Captain 50RemAndCounting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your answers are okay but I have no idea who you are, let alone vouch for your activity on the server.

Put in some serious playtime in the following month and be active on our discord as well at least a bit then try again.

Sheeesh this boy LRP as hell!

Senior Admin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah sure, I'll get more hours in June and become more active in the discord before I try applying again

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ben11567 View Post
    Yeah sure, I'll get more hours in June and become more active in the discord before I try applying again
    I assume this means you are withdrawing the current application?
    Head Developer & Marine Law Maintainer

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ben11567 View Post
    Are you withdrawing your application?
    and i returned, and left. and returned again 19/06/2022, this is my life now.

Former Moderator Trainer. If you have any questions regarding Moderation Duties, feel free to DM me: Hunk1#9842

A bigger truth has never been spoken.

Props to nanu for the picture.

My Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll just make it easy, boost up your activity and try again in the future. Your answers are fine in my opinion, but your game time not so much.
    Good luck
    Unhinged retiree boomer man
    Get off my lawn you kids