User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Staff Officer mains, how do you play the role so often?

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Staff Officer mains, how do you play the role so often?

I REALLY enjoy the concept of a SO, a jack of all trades officer with a finger in every metaphorical pie than can be a synth lite with an actual personality. The only problem is that overwatch sucks actual donkey dick and has not been fun to me...ever really. Sometimes when i play i beg to go deploy but I'm rarely ever in a position to do anything other than point around hydro and shout issue orders

I notice there is a solid core of players that routinely play SO and appear to enjoy it, so tell me your secret please. There is hardly enough time in most rounds to get quality RP out while everyone's focusing on the OP and winning, and the overwatch console is pretty braindead to use, so I cant' really tell what the appeal is for most people seeing as how we are expected to overwatch all the damn time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I do SO, I over watch and I banter with the squad. When enough squad members have died that they need help, I deploy.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Observer mains that want the potential to ugna bunga with a tactical shotgun

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The secret of SO mains is the same secret of Reddit mods. It gives free power over somebody else.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    The secret of SO mains is the same secret of Reddit mods. It gives free power over somebody else.
    what power though? almost everyone in the CIC is higher ranked than you, and good luck pulling rank on anyone on the ground

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kooarbiter View Post
    what power though? almost everyone in the CIC is higher ranked than you, and good luck pulling rank on anyone on the ground
    The same with reddit mods.

Whitelisted Synthetic Unknownity's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wait there are SO mains? SO slots are always free
    Samuel 'Prophet' Logue
    BRAVO n CHARLIE Forever
    "Getting too old for this shit."
    ----
    Synthetic Kyra
    ---
    Yautja Shi'rei Mei'ka
    ----
    POW
    Burrower main

Whitelisted Captain TyroneDadWhisperer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The trick to enjoying it is to banter with the squad you're working with, keep them informed like whose dead, how far away, are they worth the effort as well as talking to the others in CIC.

though the SO main breed is dying as most SO players realise how fucking boring the role is as soon as they play/try XO
    Last edited by TyroneDadWhisperer; 06-02-2020 at 12:33 PM.
    Synthetic Unit Adrian

Former CO Councillor 21/03/21 - 7/11/21

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    That might be a gross misrepresentation of SOs as a whole. I know quite a few SOs who are quite pleasant to work under.

When I go SO, I rarely order people to do things, unless the CO or XO is demanding that I start giving out orders. Anyone who’s served with me when I’m SO can probably attest to the fact that I treat the post as logistics and support, since the CO & XO can just announce new orders. I’m the guy who goes “hey, bravo, it looks like you have an opening in your north LZ cades, you’ll want to send an engi to fix that.” Or “Alpha, you’re spreading out a bit, some of the pointmen are going to be easy pickings for ambushes.” Or the classic “what would you guys like in your next drop?”

LT can give significant orders to alter the course of a battle, especially if there’s no XO or CO, but IMO that’s not their primary function. I consider them to be there to make sure that the squad CAN get the job done, and not to order them to get the job done. They already know they need to get the job done, and any red announcements are pretty clear about changes to that.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How to play Staff Officer:

Ask the CO to deploy, if he says no just go and cryo

I'm not kidding, this is literally the only way to play SO.