Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestion: Confirmed Contact roleplay standard

Whitelisted Captain 50RemAndCounting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suggestion: Confirmed Contact roleplay standard

The premise is rather simple, and the outcome I believe would be most beneficial for just about anyone who plays CM with any kind of frequency at all.

The current (expected contact) roleplay standard does nothing but awkwardly weigh the playerbase down, providing no meaningful RP foundation yet still being restrictive enough to be constantly and gratuitously broken and ignored by pretty much everyone. Even with it being borderline unenforceable, in the rare instances of staff actually enforcing it, this has resulted in huge community backlash every time. One instance of this are the constant threads about discussing roleplay on these forums.

Most about everyone acts like an idiot and only really speaks up to spout memes. Requisition and medbay chem lines are a festering ground of toxicity and powertripping. Briefing is an atrocious nightmare of extremely low rp, if you as a CO do anything more than just copy paste squad orders, the briefing turns into a special needs kids' daycare, except everyone has guns and someone invariably ends up getting killed. 95% of staff officers never do their job properly, though admittedly that's more of a gameplay design issue than a roleplay issue, though some SOs try to allevate it by doing turbo LRP bullshit in CIC. Executive Officers and Commanding Officers are needlessly pressured to "enhance the round" by forcefully coming up with quirky battleplan ideas and annoying character gimmicks, which does little than cause grief, annoyance and usually ingame harm to everyone else. The rest of the marines often respond in kind by looking for any possible excuse to murderbone the CIC via mutinying, something which is never done properly. Corporate Liaisons write literal dogshit faxes (or write something arguably decent and passable, but at a time where no smod or admin is online), then either fall asleep from boredom and get jobbanned for going SSD as CL without ahelping, or self antag out of boredom and get jobbanned from CL for it. Predators... I'm not even going to touch that, it's beyond tragic.

With the absolute state of CM, Expected Contact rp is less than hopeless. Nobody cares for or respects it, everyone shits on it, inadvertently or otherwise. We need to do away with it, and replace it with Confirmed Contact with a very simple premise: the enemy is there, get your gear, join up with your squad and go kill them. All Expected Contact does is create an incredibly awkward atmosphere aboard the almayer pre first drop. Do you have any idea how bothersome and tiring it is to hear XX-121 CONTACTS CONFIRMED for the 5th bajillionth time in the row? If you play the game at all, I suppose you do.

This is what roleplay needs to be boiled down into, "shut the fuck up and go shoot the enemy". With this, alongside some other changes I'd like to see, such as:

• Removing Military Police and the brig area entirely
    • Expanding squad reqs and reworking both normal and squad reqs in a way they're no longer req staff/SL and spec dependent, i.e. everyone can just come in and get stuff.
    • Removing access requirement from medbay storage OR make a separate public medical equipment storage which would primarily be meant for, you guessed it, deploying marines.
    • Possibly reworking Staff Officers, but not sure how, it would for sure be a significant undertaking.

We'd greatly contribute to making the game way less unbearable to play for the marines. It's not going to magically fix CM, but it would ease the ailment of a dying game.
    Sheeesh this boy LRP as hell!

Senior Admin & Whitelist Overseer Fortelian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sooooo... is this uh, serious or not?
    Salvador Kepplinger - President of Andorra
    LOV3 - The friendly Bean.
    Senior mentor

Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely fucking serious.

Senior Admin & Whitelist Overseer Fortelian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RemAndCounting View Post
    Absolutely fucking serious.
    That doesn't answer my question.
    Salvador Kepplinger - President of Andorra
    LOV3 - The friendly Bean.
    Senior mentor

Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is what roleplay needs to be boiled down into, "shut the fuck up and go shoot the enemy". With this, alongside some other changes I'd like to see, such as:

• Removing Military Police and the brig area entirely

I agree with most of this but these two points irk me. People already complain about the server being treated like TDM with a slice of RP and "Shut the fuck up and go shoot the enemy" only sounds like you want to encourage that. Also I'm not that big a fan of MPs but unless staff wants to commit to constantly punishing people for crimes that would've been covered in ML I really think that's a bad idea.

Also I agree that most briefings turn into an autismfest but I think most CO players would rather have them, they're one of the few chances where a CO can spice up a round and when they actually go well they're pretty enjoyable for me at least. Maybe just remove smoke grenades and change the breifing platform back to before people could climb it?
    Nathon Stafford-Sunglasses wearing Delta L42 kiter man. Sometimes a Captain.
    Benedict-Praiser of Jesus, healer of marines, killer of Queens.
    Kahn'Ikesh-Blooded Hunter and great grandson of Gor'don Ram-sey
    (pfp by Manezinho)
    medals:https://pastebin.com/xiCJLuhz
    Mapper since 12/29/2020
    Had dev role assasinated on 8/2/21

Synth Councilor as of 2/5/21 along with Jakk, Frogzeke, Yukonsnow, and Flpls
    DM what#3954 for help with Synth Applications

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *Hits pipe*

Woooooooooooooooooooot if, we make two rp servers, one is more lenient on the rp side and the other heavily influenced on rp based rules

nevermind i'm just a player i have no saying in this
    Vibing as: Dismas Hind.

THE BOIS (And gals)
    https://pastebin.com/DHCmg4nM

Shoutouts to Manezinho for the pixelart

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Me_Bigsnail View Post
    *Hits pipe*

Woooooooooooooooooooot if, we make two rp servers, one is more lenient on the rp side and the other heavily influenced on rp based rules

nevermind i'm just a player i have no saying in this
    Goonstation tried that and nobody played on their rp server at all lmaoooo

And don't worry I don't have any say in this either

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goonstation tried that and nobody played on their rp server at all lmaoooo

And don't worry I don't have any say in this either
    almost as if... forced rp doesnt work in ss13
    Vibing as: Dismas Hind.

THE BOIS (And gals)
    https://pastebin.com/DHCmg4nM

Shoutouts to Manezinho for the pixelart

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Me_Bigsnail View Post
    almost as if... forced rp doesnt work in ss13
    Exactly my point. I didn't think there is need to have it spelled out on my OP.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah all these changes would be pretty nice, honestly. It's a bit annoying having to justify weird plans with 'we're TOTALLY FIGHTING THE CLF, and NOT xenos, but do this anyway since it's effective against xenos.'

MPs being removed would be fine, just don't have staff get involved unless people are griefing or being exceptionally retarded, like breaking every window in the briefing room.

Staff Officers need to be able to do things other than launch OBs, crates, and talk to the marines. Deploying most of your CIC staff is straight up better than having all of them sit in CIC manning a console each and giving bad information.

Medbay and req being clunky and boring is annoying, yeah. With how guns currently work, you should be going to req to get enhancements for your gun, not get actual essentials for it like a mag harness, a scope, AP rounds, etc