User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Suggestion: Confirmed Contact roleplay standard

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or, every round, a message will appear on the Communications Console in CiC saying if they will RP as
    >Old RP standards, non-expected, nor confirmed
    >Expected contact
    >Confirmed contact

This will change every round and make it more unique, not just every round as confirmed contact, it's gonna get boring.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ladwhy View Post
    Or, every round, a message will appear on the Communications Console in CiC saying if they will RP as
    >Old RP standards, non-expected, nor confirmed
    >Expected contact
    >Confirmed contact

This will change every round and make it more unique, not just every round as confirmed contact, it's gonna get boring.
    Except it doesent really make every round unique, it just makes it even more confusing for everyone whether the round is "we dont know about xenos (except we do), we know about xenos but dont know there here (except we do) or we know about xenos". The only way to make the system truly unique would be having a random chance of the enemy being either xenomorphs or CLF or UPP, but that would require a huge amount of work and balancing and map changes etc.

Honestly I reckon it'd be cooler if we had a random chance to be a UPP ship, WY or USCM, just change up ship decorations and change over equipment I dont even think it'd be that hard, everything is there you'd just need some system to initialise it and fill in the few gaps (like UPP spec weaponry). Instead of a corporate liason the UPP would have a political commissar, while on the WY ship the CL could be the bureaucratic manager of the security force captain, providing some interesting new dynamics in command.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly I reckon it'd be cooler if we had a random chance to be a UPP ship, WY or USCM, just change up ship decorations and change over equipment I dont even think it'd be that hard, everything is there you'd just need some system to initialise it and fill in the few gaps (like UPP spec weaponry). Instead of a corporate liason the UPP would have a political commissar, while on the WY ship the CL could be the bureaucratic manager of the security force captain, providing some interesting new dynamics in command.
    A great idea, I suggest suggesting this somewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The current memey atmosphere is attrocious and with the metafication of the game and extreme lack of RP I'd love to see all the proposals implemented, especially the req part. By the way, remove the briefing area as well, there's absolutely no reason to use it over the command announcements, other than for Watakama doppelgänger appearances
    Last edited by Draky; 03-05-2021 at 10:40 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I've seen so far MPs only handle marine laws that do not include murder, manslaughter, attempted murder and excessive hooliganism. Usually what happens is that admins will handle these thus making MPs half pointless.

Different game modes can help kill the repetition and improve RP. The reason why RP works in other servers is because the TDM aspect we currently have. Who cares about RP when you gotta win every time.
    Captain Morrigan 'M.K' Kessler

Statistics
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Medals
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    If so, then they are sad people. With the ammount of games that have way better gameplay than CM, but lack any "obstacles" like "IC" rules and such. Even in Alien universe you still have AvP games with great multiplayer, always balanced, nothing OP etc.

Hell, I even once played CS 1.6 on Alien mod server. And Predator mod server. Tons of fun.
    You'd think they would go to a game and engine that is actually good and decently supports the kind of gameplay they want but nope, they wanna tryhard about K/D ratio in a 2D spessmen game. I don't know if it's convenience or just the thrill of being a good player in a bad game (PvP wise).

RP is on life support, has been for a long time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel like it would be more feasible to just have a different game mode called:

UPP Operation (or something).
    Basically replace everything USCM with UPP.

Having different versions sounds cool but its a eh idea.

I wouldn't say RP is on life-support or jackshit like that. People have been pushing LRP standpoints since the start of CM.

Its a "self fulfilling prophecy". "Let's have LRP cause we are LRP. OH look, we are LRP because we are now allowing LRP!".
    It's even more funny the longer you've been around. "20(XX) were the old days of RP. We are now LRP." >>> meanwhile 20(XX) people, likely the same, were saying the exact same thing. Just with the "old days of RP" being a couple further years back.
    Last edited by Vispainius; 06-12-2020 at 06:04 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RemAndCounting View Post
    The premise is rather simple, and the outcome I believe would be most beneficial for just about anyone who plays CM with any kind of frequency at all.

The current (expected contact) roleplay standard does nothing but awkwardly weigh the playerbase down, providing no meaningful RP foundation yet still being restrictive enough to be constantly and gratuitously broken and ignored by pretty much everyone. Even with it being borderline unenforceable, in the rare instances of staff actually enforcing it, this has resulted in huge community backlash every time. One instance of this are the constant threads about discussing roleplay on these forums.

Most about everyone acts like an idiot and only really speaks up to spout memes. Requisition and medbay chem lines are a festering ground of toxicity and powertripping. Briefing is an atrocious nightmare of extremely low rp, if you as a CO do anything more than just copy paste squad orders, the briefing turns into a special needs kids' daycare, except everyone has guns and someone invariably ends up getting killed. 95% of staff officers never do their job properly, though admittedly that's more of a gameplay design issue than a roleplay issue, though some SOs try to allevate it by doing turbo LRP bullshit in CIC. Executive Officers and Commanding Officers are needlessly pressured to "enhance the round" by forcefully coming up with quirky battleplan ideas and annoying character gimmicks, which does little than cause grief, annoyance and usually ingame harm to everyone else. The rest of the marines often respond in kind by looking for any possible excuse to murderbone the CIC via mutinying, something which is never done properly. Corporate Liaisons write literal dogshit faxes (or write something arguably decent and passable, but at a time where no smod or admin is online), then either fall asleep from boredom and get jobbanned for going SSD as CL without ahelping, or self antag out of boredom and get jobbanned from CL for it. Predators... I'm not even going to touch that, it's beyond tragic.

With the absolute state of CM, Expected Contact rp is less than hopeless. Nobody cares for or respects it, everyone shits on it, inadvertently or otherwise. We need to do away with it, and replace it with Confirmed Contact with a very simple premise: the enemy is there, get your gear, join up with your squad and go kill them. All Expected Contact does is create an incredibly awkward atmosphere aboard the almayer pre first drop. Do you have any idea how bothersome and tiring it is to hear XX-121 CONTACTS CONFIRMED for the 5th bajillionth time in the row? If you play the game at all, I suppose you do.

This is what roleplay needs to be boiled down into, "shut the fuck up and go shoot the enemy". With this, alongside some other changes I'd like to see, such as:

• Removing Military Police and the brig area entirely
    • Expanding squad reqs and reworking both normal and squad reqs in a way they're no longer req staff/SL and spec dependent, i.e. everyone can just come in and get stuff.
    • Removing access requirement from medbay storage OR make a separate public medical equipment storage which would primarily be meant for, you guessed it, deploying marines.
    • Possibly reworking Staff Officers, but not sure how, it would for sure be a significant undertaking.

We'd greatly contribute to making the game way less unbearable to play for the marines. It's not going to magically fix CM, but it would ease the ailment of a dying game.
    I agree with the vast majority of this.

Sqaud recs.

Without fail squad req gets dumped because its boring tedious and a pain in the ass. Serves no purpose except to bait marines into breaking a window when sl isnt there, so the mps have a reason to exist.

Mps and brig.

Staff needs to seriously look at this and figure out if this is more harm then good. If the effect of this role existing creates more ahelps then it does diminish them, while at the same time it harms over all player experience, then it seriously needs to go. The general consensus of plays ICly and looc is "we fucking hate mps" If it griefs the larger part of the player base and adds workload to staff. Its a trash role.

Medical.

Im not sure here to be honest, the med line in med bay isnt to bad. That being said its usually silent. It just going through the motions to get gear and leave as fast as possible.

SO
    I like playing staff officer sometimes, but sometimes it feels like a redundancy. A competent RO will just talk direct with squads to get mats and coords sent. So me pushing the drop button is pointless. A dumb or non existant RO will just straight up not load my pad so I cant do much here either. Also as SO I usually give an order only to have the XO and captain scream it on the squads comms a second later. Like, can I do my fucking job dude? Captains and XOs end up micromanaging sometimes and make an SO pointless. Im not sure if everyone will agree but if you want SO to be a viable role then I would suggest not giving captain or XO access to squad coms. It shouldnt really be the captains job to micromanage every private. Chain of command exists for a reason. Beyond that im not sure what would need to be done to make the role better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing I really agree with is that squad req shouldn't depend on the NCOs.

Everything else? Jesus wept, CM has gone to shit in the past few years specifically because of the removal of the old RP standards. Of-fucking-course it's going to be a LRP TDM if you set up the RP rules to encourage that. This would just make it worse. All of the autistic LRP shipside is directly rooted in the removal of anything more nuanced than "there might be bugs down there, go and kill them if there are" as the RP standard. This goes hand-in-hand with the strict xeno "you have no free will and are automatically 100% hostile to everything" standard. People disrupting briefings, getting mad about suboptimal battle plans, fighting in req lines, &c. is all a direct consequence of telling players that the sole purpose of the game is to TDM and that not only does nothing else matter, attempting to RP in a way that isn't just flavor for the TDM might get them boinked or jobbanned.

Back before the new contact standard marines actually had to listen to the fucking briefing and at least pretend to do their jobs. Marines and survivors talked to each other. Marines stood around and shot the shit. Xenos and marines sometimes came face-to-face and didn't just immediately start deathmatching because the grunts didn't know what the xenos were. That gave xenos players more latitude to do creepy RP like stalking marines, making noises from shadows and behind walls, &c. If marines just metarushed the hive they could actually get punished for it, and xenos took long enough to ramp up that they wanted to delay hostilities. Now marines are encouraged IC to metarush and xenos evolution has been sped up to counter it.

Frankly, CM as TDM is fucking boring. It's the same shit every round, grab a meta loadout if you're a marine or pay an autistic amount of attention to the evol timer to make sure you get a T3 slot as a xeno, then be as sweaty as possible to "win" the round. That used to be a minority playstyle. Now every single player is encouraged to do it.

It's sad, too, because something like the current intel mechanics would have been really cool back when there was an RP standard that supported it. Now it's literally just a fetchquest to get the nuke.

e: And MPs.

Man, this is a twofold problem. Part of the problem is the same problem with sec throughout SS13: most of the people (NOT all, but most) who pref it are shitlers who just want to ruin other people's rounds. This is reinforced by things like squad req and rule-reinforced impatience with shipside RP that inevitably lead to fights and damage to windows, &c. Likewise, the lack of anything for most of the shipside staff to do after deployment makes MPs mostly superfluous. If CLs who actually bothered with interesting RP didn't get cracked down on so hard, MPs might actually have something to investigate and RP with.
    Last edited by Flying Dice; 06-16-2020 at 08:23 PM.

Whitelisted Predator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The whole hive/FOB thing used to be the case way back in the beginning, before LZ was even a map. On the Nostromo, it used to be that anywhere on the map was a reasonably viable FOB, and anywhere on the map was a reasonably viable hive. Now, this is far from the case. FOB and Hive options are, at best, two different places, if that. Why would we scout ahead, why would we need our SO? Xenos are just all the way west on Prison every single time.

Also, I would concur with Flying Dice. Back when there were, y'know, RP rules, people surprisingly did indeed RP. As tiring as 'omg red dog' was, it's even more tiring that nobody even puts forth the effort to portray a character anymore. It'd be crazy to have someone call you by your ckey and tell you to turn on help intent back in the day. Now it's pretty much a regular occurance.