User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A basic overview of Defensive Structures

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renomaki View Post

But nowadays a lot of engineers just kinda... Give up. They just slap something together the same way every time, they don't try anything new, and if they catch someone trying something different, they berate the person and possibly break all their shit out of spite... Then they complain about how boring being an engineer is and do nothing to change it.
    You get around 20 minutes to build FOB right now, with marines pushing you, supplies being fashionably late and all the FOB drama. You build something you know will somewhat work and then get to see Queen to screech and casually break the cade while everyone is down stunned with five slashes. And then you evac because we know next screech will probably end the defense. I like trying something new, but most of the time can't afford it because of lack of resources or just marines running back to FOB just on time for basic lines to be ready.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShakeEZ View Post
    In real life? Gas goes through windows. In the game I dont see why it cant do it though.
    Does it? Really? I am pretty sure one of the points of a window is to be air tight lol.

Also the problem with new designs is EVERYONE has to touch your shit. If you do something new tons of engineers AND pfcs are gonna criticize and put some tables or sandbags around randomly to just create an usual uneffective pill of metal and sand...
    Funniest in this is you WILL be the bad guy of the story.

I personnally tend to make tons of traps and lures to kill xenos and an FOB with those would work like a charm.

Unless your windows are made in a low tier country
    Last edited by Dolth; 01-25-2019 at 03:06 AM.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolth View Post
    Does it? Really? I am pretty sure one of the points of a window is to be air tight lol.

Also the problem with new designs is EVERYONE has to touch your shit. If you do something new tons of engineers AND pfcs are gonna criticize and put some tables or sandbags around randomly to just create an usual uneffective pill of metal and sand...

I personnally tend to make tons of traps and lures to kill xenos and an FOB with those would work like a charm.

Unless your windows are made in a low tier country
    idk if you are being sarcastic or not, but if windows were air tight oxygen couldnt get in and you would suffocate lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No I mean the glass windows you build for your MG nest are not the type you have in your house lmao. Pretty much a glass panel/wall rather than a window.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No I mean the glass windows you build for your MG nest are not the type you have in your house lmao. Pretty much a glass panel/wall rather than a window.
    ya but either way they have no seals just like a window so it will just go around the panel

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While yes, the gas will go around the panel, but it won't fill the empty spot where the MG gunner is sitting on, because SS13 code ain't that complex.

I will try to find video evidence, but I assure you that protecting an MG gunner from gas with the MG emplacement itself and 2 glass panels hugging him works. It was thought up by Surr, and he also spent a couple of rounds proving it as a real thing.

If there've been changes to this whole interaction, then I'll be proven wrong, but I haven't seen anything about it as of now

Red = The gunner location
    Blue = The glass panels
    Black arrow = MG and the direction its facing.
    Last edited by DefinitelyAlone0309; 01-25-2019 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Visual picture

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DefinitelyAlone0309 View Post
    While yes, the gas will go around the panel, but it won't fill the empty spot where the MG gunner is sitting on, because SS13 code ain't that complex.

I will try to find video evidence, but I assure you that protecting an MG gunner from gas with the MG emplacement itself and 2 glass panels hugging him works. It was thought up by Surr, and he also spent a couple of rounds proving it as a real thing.

If there've been changes to this whole interaction, then I'll be proven wrong, but I haven't seen anything about it as of now

Red = The gunner location
    Blue = The glass panels
    Black arrow = MG and the direction its facing.
    oh i believe you, i just bullshitting with dolth about how real life would work

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still not convinced with the panels.
    But then the MG is not air tight anyhow lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is indeed quite true.

If people see something strange, there is a massive chance of them instinctively messing with it simply due to it being outside of their comfort zone. The only real way you can get away with being a tad more experimental than normal is to do it at areas that are NOT common build zones, like at the northern or western roads of Nexus, which often are left open most of the time. Course, this means you have to dedicate yourself to wherever you choose to set up your defenses, but on the OTHER hand, at least it means you get to properly test your defense against smaller groups of xenos, before they eventually come in mass and your defense becomes truly tested.

It is mainly the main FOB/meta forward posts that marines DON'T like seeing people experiment, as I observed. It is why I was able to get away with making quite a few decent little wooden forts that many a marine witnessed, and some even jumped in themselves to utilize it. In fact.. I think I was the ONLY one to make said roadside forts out of uncommon materials. Course, it is probably just due to the unfamiliarity of said structures, which is why this guide was made in the first place: to give people a better understanding of their options, instead of feeling limited to only a tiny handful of choices.

You'd be surprised what a clever marine can cook up without having engineering training.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Btw if some people are old enough to remember me playing engineer, this is litterally the reason why you might saw me whacking people with a wrench.

When we could diagonal fire I used to move northern nexus airlocks one tile south then to have eastern wall as a door-fake wall to surprise alien with the bolted-shocked doors si they were stunned and in range of your diagonal LOF.

This plan killed SO MANY aliens due to its effectiveness but most rounds ended in people being hurr-durr and assaulting/insulting me because they wouldn't understand the weird setup, although I was the engi. Not them.
    And I had explained and had tables to prevent accidental shocking.

Anyway this is a proper example of why we will rarely have any good FOB design and defensive setups.
    There will always be people MINDING WHAT IS NOT THEIR BUSINESS, which is fucking redneck-like low fucking education btw, and who will either slow your building down OR interfere.