User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A basic overview of Defensive Structures

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    corner shooting was both the biggest engi meme and also the most bullshit mechanic in the game lmao. I abused it too, and it was perfect when engis were still able to make airlocks. Then you had to decon the preexisting airlocks/move filing cabinets and shit. It was even better when you had airlocks that were powered AND electrified.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDonkified View Post
    corner shooting was both the biggest engi meme and also the most bullshit mechanic in the game lmao. I abused it too, and it was perfect when engis were still able to make airlocks. Then you had to decon the preexisting airlocks/move filing cabinets and shit. It was even better when you had airlocks that were powered AND electrified.
    I can't help but feel like that might have been one of the reasons why girders got nerfed so hard...

I was going to add girders/walls to this guide, but considering they are nearly IMPOSSIBLE to build now, there isn't really much point in making or using them. I miss the days when you could build them anywhere, though... In the right hands, a few well placed walls could make for a decent addition to any defense, and back when I used to make PILLBOXES, I always put walls on the corner of said pillbox to reinforce the structure and make it a tiny bit easier to secure. Most people thought I was crazy when I'd do that, but of course, I understood how to shoot AROUND the wall, which wasn't really that hard.

Considering how acid works now, having walls on corners is not all that shabby, since a xeno can't melt the whole wall like they used to anymore. They would only be able to melt a hole into it, which would then require a T3 like a ravager to open it up, but since the wall was still STURDY, you could still hold with it. Plus xenos trying to crawl through the hole would probably just get killed trying.

Oh, what wasted potential.. I miss me walls..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a really neat guide! I almost forgot about the electrified grilles.

Wiki Maintainer Emeritus Sargeantmuffinman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting
    George S.Patton once said: No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making some other poor dumb bastard die for his country.

Good hunting.

Staff from 16 May 2016 to 10th September 2021.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You missed one of the best defenses of all, doors!
    Positives!
    +Shockable at a static damage level
    +Blocks boiler gas
    +stops movement from non-insulated creatures
    + Can only be breached by acid castes or a crusher assuming door is bolted/welded or shocked
    Negatives
    - Can be instantly broken by a crusher
    - Shock stun time is short for T3
    - They melt quickly.

Doors can be when used correctly extremely strong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to see some new blood actually came up with smart defenses.

But.
    Yes.
    Airlocks and girders and walls got nerfed hard and, I am taking the credit for some of those.
    What makes SS13 fun is the thousands of creative ways to achieve something. But then we got ourselves limited on almost evrry front.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShakeEZ View Post
    In real life? Gas goes through windows. In the game I dont see why it cant do it though.
    Gas does not pass through glass.

Think of it this way. Breathable air is a gas. Its a mixture of nitrogen, oxygen, and a bunch of other chemicals in smaller quantities. If gas could pass through glass, then the windshield of a car would be absolutely pointless. Even cheap shitty glass does not allow gasses to pass through it. However, with enough pressure, it will find a way through the seams around a pane of glass.

In open atmosphere, gas will always try to move from areas of high pressure to an area of low pressure. Which will be into the rest of the atmosphere. It will not try to push its way through a pane of glass until that pane of glass becomes the path of least resistance, which is extremely unlikely in open atmosphere.

Even the acid cloud would have a hard time getting through glass. Its why we use glass beakers and vials in chemistry labs. Glass has an incredible acid/corrosion resistance, with a few exceptions such as hydrofluoric acid. Without a directed application, such as the boiler spit (assuming it is similar to hydrofluoric acid), the glass should be able to withstand both gas clouds put out by the boiler.

Whitelisted Predator
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sandbags should ALWAYS go INSIDE metal cades. Lets you repair from cover and if you dont repair a metal in time you have the time the sandbag buys you (a fair bit more when wired) to make a new metal and shift it into position. Sandbags on the outside just means you lose a line of cades before even getting the chance to repair the metal layer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 420M.Y.K View Post
    Sandbags should ALWAYS go INSIDE metal cades. Lets you repair from cover and if you dont repair a metal in time you have the time the sandbag buys you (a fair bit more when wired) to make a new metal and shift it into position. Sandbags on the outside just means you lose a line of cades before even getting the chance to repair the metal layer
    You got it backwards, sandbags should be in the outer layer ALWAYS. The best reason to build a double cade line is that you can dynamically repair it by un-wrenching the back line and pushing the cade forward to fill a gap in the front line. Sandbags cant be unwrenched.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slduggy View Post
    You got it backwards, sandbags should be in the outer layer ALWAYS. The best reason to build a double cade line is that you can dynamically repair it by un-wrenching the back line and pushing the cade forward to fill a gap in the front line. Sandbags cant be unwrenched.
    That would work if engineers are actually competent and bother to have spare cades ready to go. As of current, it's probably better just to have some engineer kit PFCs welding cades than relying on good engies.