Thread: Marine Law, IC or OOC?

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortelian View Post
    Is there more context to that?
    No, because the CMP was Connor Anderson who has specifically said he goes out of his way to arrest COs.

Whitelisted Predator
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just L View Post
    You're not supposed to take CM seriously. It's based on an 80s action movie which, while it did have a serious atmosphere at times, was still an action movie with fun and cliche characters who had very little regard for their own lives or safety. Bishop does the knife trick in Aliens for a reason, and he still manages to nick himself with the knife.
    Every one of the characters in Aliens looked out for themselves and their comrades, and they obeyed the chain of command. Yes, they took liberties, like bringing in kinetic weaponry into the reactor when they were told not to, but they never disobeyed an order to the point where they endangered their fellow Marines or lost unit cohesiveness.

Things went to shit and they all got killed because they were facing a stealthy, unknown enemy, in a tight urban setting that offered up few opportunities to maneuver and utilize their advanced weaponry, NOT because they were drooling moron's who figure it's a good idea to go from 1 - 10 in a crisis and jeopardize their career and liberties.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobBrown4PM View Post
    Every one of the characters in Aliens looked out for themselves and their comrades, and they obeyed the chain of command. Yes, they took liberties, like bringing in kinetic weaponry into the reactor when they were told not to, but they never disobeyed an order to the point where they endangered their fellow Marines or lost unit cohesiveness.

Things went to shit and they all got killed because they were facing a stealthy, unknown enemy, in a tight urban setting that offered up few opportunities to maneuver and utilize their advanced weaponry, NOT because they were drooling moron's who figure it's a good idea to go from 1 - 10 in a crisis and jeopardize their career and liberties.
    You don't seem to remember the part where all the marines instantly start panicking and ignoring the LT once shit starts to get real. There's a good reason for that, and it's that they respected the chain of command WITHIN their squad. MPs exist outside of the entirety of CM, they exist solely to arrest people and start shit in their current iteration, as the excuse that 'MPs exist to preserve roleplay standards' is a joke, since roleplay doesn't exist on CM anymore.
    Last edited by Just L; 07-02-2020 at 04:09 AM.

Whitelisted Predator
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't seem to remember the part where all the marines instantly start panicking and ignoring the LT once shit starts to get real. There's a good reason for that, and it's that they respected the chain of command WITHIN their squad. MPs exist outside of the entirety of CM, they exist solely to arrest people and start shit in their current iteration, as the excuse that 'MPs exist to preserve roleplay standards' is a joke, since roleplay doesn't exist on CM anymore.
    Yes, and you have to remember the circumstances that led up to that.

Gorman was a green LT who had never once been on a combat drop let alone participate in battle. He was then thrown in to (Presumably via a grand conspiricy on Wey-Yu's part to get easy hosts) to a combat situation where they faced an unknown alien life form that they had very little actual intelligence on.

When things got real, Gorman panicked and the Marines routed, as you would expect. Once communications broke down, they fell back as best they could in an orderly fashion towards the nearest evac point where they were being directed towards via Ripley.

As for the MP's, they exist in literally every military in the world. Every military has its own legal framework, usually separated from it's civilian equivalent, and it is the job of the Military Police to investigate and charge those in the military who commit criminal acts while in service.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobBrown4PM View Post
    Yes, and you have to remember the circumstances that led up to that.

Gorman was a green LT who had never once been on a combat drop let alone participate in battle. He was then thrown in to (Presumably via a grand conspiricy on Wey-Yu's part to get easy hosts) to a combat situation where they faced an unknown alien life form that they had very little actual intelligence on.

When things got real, Gorman panicked and the Marines routed, as you would expect. Once communications broke down, they fell back as best they could in an orderly fashion towards the nearest evac point where they were being directed towards via Ripley.

As for the MP's, they exist in literally every military in the world. Every military has its own legal framework, usually separated from it's civilian equivalent, and it is the job of the Military Police to investigate and charge those in the military who commit criminal acts while in service.
    MPs exist in every military, yes, but they do not actively go out of their way in every military to try and entrap marines, start shit with them, antagonize them into insulting them, and so on.

And yes, Gorman was a shitty LT who got no respect from the marines for obvious reasons. For those same reasons, most marines in CM will not respect MPs, on top of the fact that most MPs are incredibly bad at the game and exclusively play MP.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just today a CMP (who is also a staff member) arrested a CO for giving briefing in the conference room... even though it explicitly says that there's nothing wrong with giving briefing in any area besides the hangar or the dropship.
    you can only give briefing in briefing room now. i was warned by admin for briefing in hanger.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marine's law should be treated as an in-character thing. And How you or others react to it should be based on whether or not the reaction was necessary, Not whether or not it is LRP. While I can't guarantee that everything will go right as MP, That is because of how the players reacted. And because of how I acted as the MP. Sometimes bringing out a Taser to start shooting someone does suddenly make me seem like a shit MP, And that is also what we should not all do. Tasers in real life are not non-lethal they are "less-lethal" As in they will cause way less harm than if you were to just shoot them. I am mentioning these things because It's what I have to consider when I am acting In-game, Does my character know this? Do other characters know this? Would my action be justified? Or would it be an abuse of power? I agree that lately, MP have been getting way too much protection, It makes me feel uneasy because even when playing MP don't see a reason why I would need additional OOC Protection.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My personal view is that marine law is a mixture of both IC and OOC. The Military Police are there to give out punishments for things which otherwise would need admin intervention, break rulings (such as scrapping briefing before first drop for extra metal) or break roleplay standards (Insulting the Captain)

I personally do and always have always tried to push for an IC is IC stance but I personally find that the MP role, while it has some strengths, is limited with dealing with a rapidly chaotic situation (Generally because the MP role is oftenly not filled) meaning that despite having one or two MPs with some good gear (which also has restrictions) you are usually overwhelmed by the sheer mass of marines.

I do think that we could eventually go down the path of interference being possible and even jailbreaks, (It /can/ be fun for all parties involved, if done right) but I think we would likely need to tweak some marine law, add more IC consequences and perhaps make some alterations to the MP role in general (Perhaps turn MP in to a role you can join in after you die, increasing the population count, meaning MPs could have the equipment slightly adjusted due to the more consistent higher MP population)

It's something I'll explore and discuss with the people who can actually make changes.

I do understand the frustration of all sides involved(especially staff as they're damned if they do, damned if they dont), but I do think we can eventually come to a happy conclusion.

My only real concern is that the roleplay standard on CM does vary so much from LRP to HRP in between rounds, and I do think many issues to happen because this. This is just my two cents.
    <::The Provost is always watching.::>

Spoiler Spoiler:

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by special2kira View Post
    you can only give briefing in briefing room now. i was warned by admin for briefing in hanger.
    Wrong, you can give briefing anywhere other than the hangar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At this point Marine Law exists pretty much for the sole purpose of shielding griefer MPs who want to play the role like they're shitcurity on a normal LRP station.

I haven't seen a legitimate issue of ML in >2 years that wasn't directly connected to someone softgriefing before deployment knowing that ML protected them from people treating them like the shitty players they are (i.e. stunning/killing them, welding them into a locker, and spacing them so that nobody else has to deal with their bullshit), and with very few exceptions it's an MP doing it. On most servers if some power-tripping shitlord has self-antagged and is disrupting a round nobody cares if bad shit happens to them. On CM if you do more than ineffectually slip and punch them (inevitably resulting in you being one more person getting chainstunned and eventually brigged while the round gets disrupted even longer for the sake of an MP taking out their frustrations over getting bullied at school) you get instantly bwoinked.

I've caught two warnings at this point for unconsciously falling back on non-CM instincts to just shoot the fucker and clean up the problem, so I've made a mid-year resolution to treat what's obviously an OOC policy as one and just ahelp this sort of griefing any time I see it instead of wasting time trying to RP with someone who just wants to ruin peoples' rounds for their own amusement.