User Tag List

Thread: Ghost Reporting (Scout guide)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ghost Reporting (Scout guide)

So ... you want to be a copy-cat of the Starcraft series ghost huh?

unnamed.jpg

Well you're in luck, you rolled spec and happened to get your hands on the scout kit, congrats!

Be aware that this guide is mainly how to play an intel / backline scout spec. This is how I PERSONALLY play scout spec.

As the scout meta develops a little more, I, or others, may post a guide for a different way to play the scout spec.

So ... the first thing you'll notice is that you have perma-cloak ... pretty sweet right?
    Well turns out you have a couple of limitations while cloaked, mainly being:
    Unable to fire weapons in cloak, and for 2-3 seconds after de-cloaking.

You can, however, grab things and prime grenades while cloaked (though priming grenades may be changed soon).

You also have Thermal NVG's, which is pretty sweet for noticing threats in the dark.

The first thing you'll want to do is ditch all of your normal ammo in your prep room, and have your incendiary / impact in your main ammo belt. This frees up SHITLOADS of space for getting intel and other such things. Besides, if a xeno engages you, you should seriously and honestly consider just running away instead of de-cloaking and fighting. Ignore the pistol, grab the scout binos, and the C4.

The next thing you'll want to do is get your gun a suppressor and an angled grip. I know it sounds dumb, but I've probably been saved by myself at least twice by having a silenced weapon with another xeno being not 12-15 tiles away that couldn't hear the fighting.

After that, grab an intel kit, and possible a second document pouch. Put your injectors in your helmet, and gauze in your armor or webbing.

Next, grab as much C4 as you father-f***ing can ... you're gonna need it to breach into places to get intel that are bolted or don't have access to. Remember that C4 deletes walls in a 3x3 cube based on the wall/door you plant it on.

Next, ask medbay for a spare roller bed. This will help you drag away de-fibbable marine corpses that were dragged off into the dark corners of the map by lurkers easier and faster to carry to the FOB or other safe place where medics can tend to them.

Alright, you're pretty much set for your spec-ops mission of gathering enough intel to get DEFCON 1 REALLY fast.

On the ground, station, wherever you're at, you're going to want to ignore the easy to get intel. That's for the normal IO's to get.

Make sure you ALWAYS keep your eyes peeled for traps, AND MAKE SURE YOUR SUIT LIGHT IS OFF!

Instead, you're going to want to immediately go about 15-30 tiles past the default line of scrimage that the marines and xenos first make contact and start their major battling. Make sure that your cloak is ALWAYS FUCKING ON!!! If a marine shoots at you, quickly de-cloak and re-cloak to show that you're a friendly. Your cloak also grants you a shit-ton of evasion, so bullets should have a REALLY hard time hitting you anyway.

After you get all the intel, see if the marines are making progress on the front-line through your binos. Remember, if you start doing actions such as reading intel or lazing, a little circle appears above your head that broadcasts "HEY, LOOK OVER HERE, THERE'S A CLOAKED GUY GATHERING INTEL AND HE'S ALONE!".

Make sure you're always checking your surroundings ALL the time. Be sure to de-activate your intel detector if a xeno is nearby, and stay PERFECTLY STILL until the xeno passes. You will not BELIEVE how much CRAP you can get away with by just standing still ... and being quiet.

When you're full on intel, head back to the FOB. Before you enter the FOB, de-cloak before you start opening 'cades or your fellow marines will start freaking out that "OH GOD OH FUCK THERE'S A HOSTILE CLOAKED JAMAICAN ABOUT TO HEAVY PLASMA CASTER THE FO- oh ... nvm it's just the scout spec."

Simply drag the documents pouches to your hands, press Z to empty them onto the ground, and let the IO's and PO take care of the rest and process it.

It's actually pretty simple. Though it may be BORING AS FUCK, you'll get to DEFCON 1 faster than you can say "XENO MAJOR, LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!", and IO's will absolutely LOVE YOU for doing so ... as well as the CO and XO ... I've literally gotten a medal almost every single time I've doing intel-ghost-spec when there was a CO around ... THEY NOTICE THAT SHIT REALLY FAST ... ESPECIALLY when you're a spec.

That's pretty much it.
    Gather Intel that's hard to reach.
    Clues you read can be read yourself by doing the verb of View-Objective-Clues or whatever it is to help you find, locate, and extra intel.
    Don't get spotted by xenos. If you do, RUN THE FUCK AWAY.
    Extract Intel.
    Rinse and Repeat

Congrats, you have now graduated the ghost academy.

Get out there and do the marines proud.
    Is an Ambidexterous marine and xeno main.

Anekcahap "Kneecap" Volkov
    Agent X41833N

"Some of the best words are never said, but are rather understood."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used your guide as a way to get around as a scout spec today, and I must agree that it's a little scary how much you can get away with by standing still and being silent. With a cloaked human being much much harder to spot than a cloaked lurker, you can do some hilariously STUPID stuff. Again thanks for your guide and allowing this video to happen!

Dev Team Manager Stan_albatross's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since the changes to vendors IOs no longer get a spare large document pouch, which I relied on pretty heavily when using this. Also getting a pred mask really helps with telling if bodies are defibbable or not.
    Karl Karlsson, the man (and sometimes Captain)
    Maxwell, the synth
    Enhath'vot Guan-Dha, the predator
    Also a feature Coder & CM's Maintainer Team Manager

Timeline :
    Spoiler Spoiler:

[CENTER]Retired Synth councilman, forever a member of IO gang

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're just going intel only, go carry around a backpack on one of your hands fulltime or loot one from a dead colonist.

You also forgot MDs and whatever, those are always nice.
    So yeah, don't bother with document pouch.