User Tag List

Thread: Whats Happened?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whats Happened?

Have not played for a year and a half or more, cant remember, so I have a couple of questions. First, I thought this forum had changed like only a couple months, is there any reason for abandoning another server or am I suffering from some sort of memory loss? Second seems like loads of disgruntled people left last time I checked that cyro sleep a couple months ago, why and are there any people left from the Hugger combat era? Finally whats changed, I saw something about a tank and am awfully confused. It can be kinda hard searching through change logs to see what has changed/been nerfed etc.

Sorry if this is obvious or is somehow controversial.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They changed forums because they like the way this one works better than the old one. Im not sure specifically why.

Im from the hugger era, there are others too. A lot of people did quit though especially xeno players. I don't know if you were around but Apop and Feweh are gone its kinda a totally different era of CM now. People don't like the balance of the game, xenos were in a bad place for like 6 months and they changed things now to where xenos are over tuned but they are less fun to play than ever.

Tank was off screen 1 shot gibbing xenos and that was before the explosion change which made all explosions ridiculous. They slowly rebalanced grenades but RPG (sadar) and Tank are still ridiculously overpowered so they don't bring the tank in except on events and trijent dam.

Pretty much everything is different than hugger combat era I don't think anything is the same except for marines fighting xenos. Everything dies super fast now xenos and marines, there is less skill involved on both sides, the power balance of both sides is concentrated into very few roles making the other roles not as fun (specs, t3, queen). I would say just play it and get a feel for it cause like I said everything is different from that time period.

Also RP standards are in the garbage, they wont admit it but we are an LRP server now.
    Last edited by MasterShakeEZ; 01-21-2019 at 08:33 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you're in for a wild ride. (Disclaimer: I tried to be as unbiased as possible, but note that this is still my opinion)

Firstly, a LOT has happened with this server in the past year, both IC and OOC. From the past year, the server has been undergoing a transition for a variety of reasons:

OOC Wise:

1. Leadership Changes
    A lot of context is needed for this. You might have noticed that the leadership of the server has been completely changed.

Firstly, Feweh (Former Manager), was found to be responsible for a lot of bad stuff, to put it simply. It was found he had 16 alts and was responsible for a lot of the drama and criticism towards CM on reddit. He was removed from CM, and had all his reddit accounts banned.

Apophis (Former Host), was likely doxxed and was accused of being a pedophile. In the resulting shitshow, he either stepped down or was forced down as host, and the staff team was reshuffled over the year into it's current form.

2. Codebase Leak
    While the above was happening, the codebase for CM was leaked. As you likely know, CM's codebase is closed source, meaning only developers and staff have access. Most of the information about this has been covered up, but as a result, several CM clones have sprung up with relatively recent versions of CM's code.

3. Legal Issues
    After Apophis stepped down, it was revealed that CM was in communication with (I believe) lawyers from Fox Studios, the company that produces Aliens. The server was already making changes before Apophis stepped down, but since he left, that change has been accelerated. You may have noticed the changed banner art and domain name. These are all results of CM transitioning away from Aliens to prevent legal issues.

Summary
    In my opinion, these factors have all led to CM trying to take a completely new direction quite quickly. After the codebase leak, the developers likely felt pressure to make major changes quickly in order to differentiate themselves from the clones popping up, and the other factors causing the new leadership to take a completely new direction, resulting in a much more different feel for the game.

IC Wise

1. Tank
    Oh boy. The tank was an experimental feature they released for a brief period. It was driven by a tank crew of 2, one acting as a gunner and the other as the driver. Think of space pods from other servers.

The tank worked well, a little too well. So well in fact, that it changed the entire meta to revolve around the tank. It was fun the first few rounds, but ended up completely unbalancing the game. As a result, it was removed, but you can still find archive footage and game play of it on reddit.

2. Balance (IMO, Powercreep)
    There are much better threads which explain this, which I'll link below but here goes:

The balance of the game has been revamped with new features such as Mutators for aliens and heavier hitting guns for marines.

Mutators allow aliens to increase their damage or health, with damage being the current meta. To combat this, marines were given more powerful weapons. This has led to more injuries and nerfed the marine's defensive capabilities, as barricades and FOBs can't stand up to mutated xenos. Other changes such as cheaper Heavy Pulse Rifles hasn't helped either. This is explained better HERE.

But yeah, a lot has changed. Just play around a bit, and see how you like it. If you want more context, r/SS13 is a alrightish place to start looking. Just look for keyworks like "Apophis", "Feweh" and "Tank".
    Last edited by popjin; 01-21-2019 at 10:20 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard a little bit bout the code leak. Heard something about Corp Mercs but I dont know if its been finished. What are these clones?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShakeEZ View Post
    They changed forums because they like the way this one works better than the old one. Im not sure specifically why.

Im from the hugger era, there are others too. A lot of people did quit though especially xeno players. I don't know if you were around but Apop and Feweh are gone its kinda a totally different era of CM now. People don't like the balance of the game, xenos were in a bad place for like 6 months and they changed things now to where xenos are over tuned but they are less fun to play than ever.

Tank was off screen 1 shot gibbing xenos and that was before the explosion change which made all explosions ridiculous. They slowly rebalanced grenades but RPG (sadar) and Tank are still ridiculously overpowered so they don't bring the tank in except on events and trijent dam.

Pretty much everything is different than hugger combat era I don't think anything is the same except for marines fighting xenos. Everything dies super fast now xenos and marines, there is less skill involved on both sides, the power balance of both sides is concentrated into very few roles making the other roles not as fun (specs, t3, queen). I would say just play it and get a feel for it cause like I said everything is different from that time period.

Also RP standards are in the garbage, they wont admit it but we are an LRP server now.
    SO I assume much of the staff is gone including Fowardslash, Ben Carson etc?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nyet View Post
    I heard a little bit bout the code leak. Heard something about Corp Mercs but I dont know if its been finished. What are these clones?
    I believe that Corporate Mercenaries is based off another codebase, and was in development long before the code leak so it's en entirely seperate thing.

On the other hand, the main direct clone is TGMC, hosted by TG which is essentially just the CM leak replaced with some regular SS13 lore. Personally, I think it's a bit dodgy right now, but I'll put a link for you to check it out. Otherwise, there's only a couple direct Brazilian clones with pretty much no pop.

https://tgstation13.org/wiki/TGMC:TGMC

So I assume much of the staff is gone including Fowardslash, Ben Carson etc?
    Pretty much, yeah. Here's a list of the staff list so you can check it out yourself:
    //showthrea...-Current-Staff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nyet View Post
    Corp mercs is still mostly WIP and only goes up for testing, they do announce most tests on their discord before hand though.

Aside from the Russian language clones (which are pretty small and specific) the only major reiteration is TGMC, formerly DCMA. It's basically CM with the sprites slowly being swapped out for non-nickboone sprites that look pretty poor by comparison, I think they've got no whitelists, and I'm not sure what developments have taken place on there but they do plan to eventually make it their own thing completely divorced from CM.

Quote Originally Posted by popjin View Post
    I believe that Corporate Mercenaries is based off another codebase, and was in development long before the code leak so it's en entirely seperate thing.
    Corp mercs is actually based on a previous CM code leak from ages ago, but I think they did use a lot of stuff from another codebase called FPS station or something like that. The map they use is actually LV and most of the alien sprites are from CM, however at this point it has completely become it's own thing with a lot of major differences from CM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also they removed dual wielding and QF EB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Engineering is fucked now m8. Completely different from the egrill era.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Benos aren't pretty and cute anymore, some time ago i saw an old hunter sprite and i fucking stood there staring at it for almost an hour asking myself "why this changed" and welp, i still dont know and that sprite still being my screensaver