Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New xenomorph Idea Palatine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb New xenomorph Idea

300px-Palatine.jpg A.jpg

PALATINE: The Elite Defenders of Xenomorph Royalty.

Stats and abilities:

Gore: I imagine a combination of a Defenders tail whip and the charge of a ravager (but with significantly less damage), The palatine charges forward, haphazardly thrashing her tusks side to side damaging and knocking enemies over in an area around her much like the defenders tail whip. To balance the ability, It will come at a delay, like the acid spray of the praetorian.

Royal Guards Wrath (Passive): In order to incentivize players of the Palatine to do their job as a royal bodyguard, they will get a boost to their damage, and speed, while near the queen. I think this will also allow them to chase down marines that avoided the queens Screech and gore them into submission. As a Xenomorph, I've always hated how a badly timed screech can literally end the round for the hive, one of the jobs of the palatine is to mop up after the screech and to make sure that no threat to the queen is allowed to dual shotgun blast her into oblivion right after a screech. I also love the idea of a marine seeing a palatine and knowing "where there's smoke there's fire".

Damage: the damage of the Palatine would be about the same as a warrior while unbuffed (see abilities), and just less that a ravager while buffed.
    Speed: The speed of the palatine would be the same as a defender while unbuffed, and as Just slower than an agile warrior while buffed.
    Armor: The palatine will be heavily armored like that of a crusher or defender. (although notably not fire-proof, which makes flaming the queen during a screech MUCH more worthwhile, because it will separate her from her royal guard)
    Health: The Palatine will have a health pool like that of a praetorian.

Evolution:

Runner > Lurker > palatine

OR

Defender > Palatine (In this case the palatine would receive a debuff due to his lower rank)

Notes:

In the Comics (specifically "Aliens: Female war") the palatine was the super elite guard of the Queen mother (or space mom) Xenomorph.

Their most distinctive feature being their large horns or tusks that flank both sides of their elongated head, they also "Are strong enough to destroy a P-5000 Powered Work Loader and seem to possess a greater resilience to physical damage."

I am very excited to know what you all think of my dumb idea, tell me your ideas too please, ill be happy to hear if this idea is garbage or poorly balanced.

Thanks.

Sources:

http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Palatine
    http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Queen_Mother
    http://aliens.wikia.com/wiki/Palatine
    Aliens: Female War/novel
    Aliens: Genocide/novel

EDIT: It seems most people agree that this caste would fit well with a nerfed queen, and I agree. (Also I fixed the thing about ravager armor, SORRY)
    Last edited by Doitallornot; 01-22-2019 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Added another image

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a fan of anything that promotes misplays. If a Queen misses a screech - she should die for it.
    Resident ex-punished Junior Developer and Coder, and ex three-time member of the Yautja Council, two-time member of the Synth Council.

See with your eyes, my army of flies, when no one's alive...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point! although saying that it promotes misplays is something I would disagree with. I see it more as a Synergy, just as a crushers minesweeping allows a runner to haphazardly create chaos behind enemy lines, or a sentinel paralyzing a marine for a carrier to swoop in and hug them. Yes it can help them recover from a bad situation, but it's main purpose is so augment an already powerful ability. I do appreciate your thoughts!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it, the queen is supposed to have her guards and this would not only promote that but has a in lore reason.

Also. I completely disagree with MattAtlas. A queen should not die if they miss a screech. I'm sorry but that's retarded considering how long it takes queens to get strong and how important they are to the hive.

Personally, I don't believe it promotes misplays as well. Its definitely more of a synergy thing. I also don't think its really a harmful idea of a addition. I'm sure there's some ways it could be improved but eh...that goes for a lot of things.

Lore wise, easy justification. Before some spazz goes after me on that statement, I'll just add that lore is important a guiding tool. It shouldn't cripple us but it also should make sense both from a gameplay and from a lore ( aka reasoning) standpoint.

In short,
    Role Purpose is a +

Justification is a +

Lore Background is a +

Balance seems to be a +, especially if left as a T3 ( and honestly it might be UNDERPOWERED as a T3 and need later buffs but that depends on how it fares in actual testing).

Cool idea. GitLab it?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only serious issue with this caste is that it supports combat queening, but that is more an issue with the queen than with the caste itself. However, if/when the queen gets reworked to have less combat ability, then I think this caste will be really useful and interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback, this idea obviously has no real chance of making into the game, but as a long time TTRPG player, I cant help but make up ideas for things I would like to play.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds cool. Just nitpicking but ravagers have really bad armor so armored like a ravager or defender makes no sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh, really? I was under the impression that ravagers were the middle ground of armor. the more you know!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First probem, IMO, is current meta where combat queen is pretty much OP and making it even stronger by providing her bodyguards is not a good idea.
    Another problem, sometimes it's hard to find sentinel to guard hosts and I don't think there would be a lot of players who would guard ovi'd Queen, especially if caste has decent offencive abilities.
    Everything else is great and I would like to see this new caste after some rebalance! Probaby best evolution be Defender > Palatine > Praetorian

Idea: 5/5
    Lore: 5/5
    Gameplay: 2/5
    Current balance: 0/5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are right about a lot of things here. another user said that this caste would fit well with a weaker queen, and I agree. And while I agree that sleeping next to the ovied queen would be a snore fest, the caste is would not be completely incompetent away from the queen, I imagined more of a, "the queen shed her ovipositor, palatines, retreat and group up with her" kinda situation. Thanks for the feedback, it means a lot.