Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ben11567 - Commander Application

Commander Whitelist Application
    Byond ID?
    Ben11567

Player Name You Use Most?
    Jane Harris

Make a list of links to all of your applications and (job)ban appeals, including whitelist and staff apps, within the last year. Also, provide "Ban reason; Verdict" beside each (job)ban link
    //showthrea...9019#post29019 - CiC ban - improper escalation with marine - accepted

//showthrea...0807#post40807 - Medical ban - set up a surgery area in FOB without proper permission - accepted

//showthrea...3731#post53731 - Mod app - denied

Have you received any ban within the last month? How long was it and what for?
    No

Do you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

How do you view the tool of Battlefield Execution to be used? What circumstances do you think it would be necessary to BE a member of the crew? Where do you think the Battlefield Execution Mechanic Differs from regular Execution and why?
    The Battlefield Execution should only be used as a last resort as it permanently takes a player out of the round. Because the BE takes a player out of the round I wouldn't want to use it often, as I've seen captains who BE marines for anything and it can greatly ruin a number of peoples rounds. However sometimes it has to be used, examples of when a BE would need to be used are:

1) A spec who is mad about losing the colony and being forced to retreat threatens to kill the captain and forces his way into the CiC, weapon out and presenting a clear intent to shoot the captain.

2) A rouge RO is threatening to blow up req, a vital asset of the Almayer, unless he gets a higher budget. He has set up explosives near the vendors and says if anybody tries to arrest him he will detonate them.

3) A SL is on his way to the CiC to do an illegal mutiny before deployment begins after their squad got given an objective he did not like. The SL, with some members of his squad who are only following orders to not deploy and are not acting hostile, shows up to the CiC and demands that the captain steps down or he will force him to.

One of the main ways the BE differs from the regular execution is that the captain is the one who personally executes the person. There are no MP's involved with the execution. There is no advanced warning, or procedure for an execution, it happens instantly with the only announcement coming afterwards.

How will your Commanding Officer run his/her ship? Provide a detailed explanation on how he would handle situations that might commonly occur such as, a insubordinate Req, Engineering, MP, or Command Staff
    One of the main problems marines face is that they often turn against each other. Whether this be between squads, or a marine and req, this can often lead to the operation getting messed up because they are not a team. As a commander I would like to encourage squads and the entire ship to work together, actively giving out medals and rewarding good behaviour and actions, marines work best when they are all fighting as one unit. However this doesn't mean that I would be lenient. As a commander I would enforce marine law tightly, this doesn't mean that whenever a member of the crew does something slightly wrong they will be arrested but that they would get ample warning to stop before military police get involved.

If there was an insubordinate reg the first thing I would do is figure out who is causing the trouble. Most of the time is is the SL, who has the bigger text size and access to command channel. If that is the case I would demote them and assign the spec, or next highest rank available. Usually once that happens the squad calms down. Most of the time its only a small number of the marines who refuse to follow orders, so a new SL can help get most of the squad back on track. If i wasn't going to demote the SL i would try talking to them and see which part of the plan they didn't like. if they were acting reasonable and didn't want to follow an order because they know the area i was trying to send them to has been taken over by xenos I would then change the orders so they wouldn't have to do a suicide charge, but could carry on playing the round

What do you think is the job of a Commander?
    For me the commander is the ultimate support role in the USCM. They shouldn't try to micro-manage every aspect of the operation, but instead be the person who holds it all together and gives the other command staff guidance and helps lead the marines towards a victory. The commander should always be the one who takes charge when something goes wrong and knows how to deal with it.

I also think its the commanders job to make the rp of the round more fun. Instead of following the usual meta of a map and sticking to the usual FOB at LZ, the commander should experiment and try new things to switch up the usual formula, without having to worry about people calling them bald. At the end of the day the job of a commander isnt to win every round, but to make it as fun as possible, which can be done by trying new tactics.

As a player what do you think could be added for Commanding Officer to benefit the role?
    Other people have probably said this but a way to overwatch SL's from your tablet or computer instead of having to push LT's out of the way so you can see whats happening.

What do you think you could contribute by being whitelisted?
    I think I would help break the current meta that marines have. The meta involving Bravo on LZ FOB, with alpha, charlie and delta all ending up as one unit pushing the same location. As a CO I would want to try new plans, even if it ends up in failure, as long as it makes rounds more fun and interesting.

Your story (potential topics listed below)
    https://onedrive.live.com/edit.aspx?...B!106&app=Word

Not the biggest story however it should give a good idea of how the character acts.

Do you understand that you cannot advertise your application on any public platform for votes. Do you also understand you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen you in Squad Leader roles and CO'd for you today, You seem pretty good so far.

I'll try and watch out for you a bit more but I'd just like to provide some initial feedback on the app.

How do you view the tool of Battlefield Execution to be used? What circumstances do you think it would be necessary to BE a member of the crew? Where do you think the Battlefield Execution Mechanic Differs from regular Execution and why?

The Battlefield Execution should only be used as a last resort as it permanently takes a player out of the round. Because the BE takes a player out of the round I wouldn't want to use it often, as I've seen captains who BE marines for anything and it can greatly ruin a number of peoples rounds. However sometimes it has to be used, examples of when a BE would need to be used are:

1) A spec who is mad about losing the colony and being forced to retreat threatens to kill the captain and forces his way into the CiC, weapon out and presenting a clear intent to shoot the captain.

2) A rouge RO is threatening to blow up req, a vital asset of the Almayer, unless he gets a higher budget. He has set up explosives near the vendors and says if anybody tries to arrest him he will detonate them.

3) A SL is on his way to the CiC to do an illegal mutiny before deployment begins after their squad got given an objective he did not like. The SL, with some members of his squad who are only following orders to not deploy and are not acting hostile, shows up to the CiC and demands that the captain steps down or he will force him to.

One of the main ways the BE differs from the regular execution is that the captain is the one who personally executes the person. There are no MP's involved with the execution. There is no advanced warning, or procedure for an execution, it happens instantly with the only announcement coming afterwards.
    In terms of BE's, you don't necessarily have to exhaust every other option before committing to one. You've shown an example of Threat to Persons and Threat to Ship/Operation, what about someone who poses a credible threat to your command?

How will your Commanding Officer run his/her ship? Provide a detailed explanation on how he would handle situations that might commonly occur such as, a insubordinate Req, Engineering, MP, or Command Staff
    One of the main problems marines face is that they often turn against each other. Whether this be between squads, or a marine and req, this can often lead to the operation getting messed up because they are not a team. As a commander I would like to encourage squads and the entire ship to work together, actively giving out medals and rewarding good behaviour and actions, marines work best when they are all fighting as one unit. However this doesn't mean that I would be lenient. As a commander I would enforce marine law tightly, this doesn't mean that whenever a member of the crew does something slightly wrong they will be arrested but that they would get ample warning to stop before military police get involved.

If there was an insubordinate reg the first thing I would do is figure out who is causing the trouble. Most of the time is is the SL, who has the bigger text size and access to command channel. If that is the case I would demote them and assign the spec, or next highest rank available. Usually once that happens the squad calms down. Most of the time its only a small number of the marines who refuse to follow orders, so a new SL can help get most of the squad back on track. If i wasn't going to demote the SL i would try talking to them and see which part of the plan they didn't like. if they were acting reasonable and didn't want to follow an order because they know the area i was trying to send them to has been taken over by xenos I would then change the orders so they wouldn't have to do a suicide charge, but could carry on playing the round
    I think you've misunderstood the question.

How would you handle insubordination in each department on the ALMAYER? Think about how you would deal with a Staff Officer giving different orders than you. Requisitions refusing to do as you ask or wasting points, Military Police messing around or undermining your authority of Marine Law.

Your story (potential topics listed below) https://onedrive.live.com/edit.aspx?...B!106&app=Word

Not the biggest story however it should give a good idea of how the character acts.
    Can't access the story, your link might be broken.

I wish you the best of luck and I'll give a proper opinion in the future, but so far so good in terms of command competence!
    Last edited by Somenerd; 07-22-2020 at 10:40 PM. Reason: I am terrible at formatting quoted posts

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I won't talk about the application. The story is inaccessible and I have other reasons to already vote.

You have started playing command recently, I don't think playing command for 3-5 days is enough to straight up have a good chance at CO Whitelist.

The main problem was the incident last round for me. You broke marine law as the CMP, jailbreaking the delta SL and generally being a problem to other MPs, disobeying the CO and resisting arrest as well. If it wasn't for admins ruling it IC I wouldn't be surprised if a jobban was issued. I won't go into detail about the whole round, but it was a big issue in my opinion.

I suggest grinding for another month and reconsidering your actions, especially as an MP.

Good luck

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't seen you SO or XO once, and these days I'm more or less always involved in the command structure. It seems you want the CO role for its prestige, rather than the actual role. Otherwise you'd be more well known such as Bill Carson or Wamakahana Windhealer.

You need to get some more experience, and you'll have something for us to base your behaviour off, as right now I only see you as the marine who's always being hunted down by MPs so try out all the roles and play at least more than one month from moment to get a better understanding of how things work. Read rules, read marine law, read SOP, read guides, guidelines and then feel free to try again.

Last edited by Enyonggg; 07-23-2020 at 12:11 PM.

Senior Admin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Updated story link: https://1drv.ms/w/s!AtuQPloWp8UyhuZa...lSTqA?e=Na2hnh

In terms of BE's, you don't necessarily have to exhaust every other option before committing to one. You've shown an example of Threat to Persons and Threat to Ship/Operation, what about someone who poses a credible threat to your command?

If there was an executive officer who was trying to take over my command had gone through the proper legal procedure with MP's and faxed high command, getting permission to forcibly remove me from my position I would step down peacefully without causing any trouble and instead attempt an appeal with HC once I was in jail. If an XO was doing this illegally and was giving orders that would cause marine lives to be lost, or trying to force me to stop commanding while the marines urgently needed me I would BE them as they were causing an immediate threat to the ship.

How would you handle insubordination in each department on the ALMAYER? Think about how you would deal with a Staff Officer giving different orders than you. Requisitions refusing to do as you ask or wasting points, Military Police messing around or undermining your authority of Marine Law.

If a staff officer was giving orders different to me at first I would speak to them and make sure they understand these are the wrong orders. If it was an accident then I would get them to give the right orders and move on. If the staff officer was doing this intentionally I would give them one more chance to step down before getting MP's to arrest them for insub. The same goes for req refusing to listen to what I say, I would speak to them face to face and give them one chance to follow orders before having them arrested, as req is vital to the Almayer.

The main problem was the incident last round for me. You broke marine law as the CMP, jailbreaking the delta SL and generally being a problem to other MPs, disobeying the CO and resisting arrest as well. If it wasn't for admins ruling it IC I wouldn't be surprised if a jobban was issued. I won't go into detail about the whole round, but it was a big issue in my opinion.

The staff decided it was an IC issue because everybody involved had done something wrong. They ruled that what I did was not jailbreaking and the delta SL was falsely being arrested for desertion. However I did make a big mistake when deciding to resist the arrest and instead should have accepted it and faxed HC afterwards. The other MP's that round were reaching for reasons to arrest people they didn't like and if I hadn't gotten involved when I did, a player would have been permanently taken out of the round. However I hope you can see me in MP roles during other rounds so you can see I have a good understanding of ML after a bad round.

I haven't seen you SO or XO once, and these days I'm more or less always involved in the command structure.

I play BST so usually am in the CiC during low pop. I've been playing command staff as much as I can recently but it is difficult to get the positions during high pop when everybody is going for them. I'll try to roll it more during the high-pop hours so hopefully you can see me in the role.

as right now I only see you as the marine who's always being hunted down by MPs.

I do not understand how you would come to that conclusion when the only time I have been in any sort of trouble with the MP's was the round described above. But if you were a witness to what happened then I understand why you would think that and also hope you can see me in the MP and command roles more. I'm not applying for CO for the "prestige", I'm doing it so I can have a higher chance of leading, not have to be monitored by captains and have the authority needed to properly lead and run the ship smoothly.

Whitelisted Captain 50RemAndCounting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have to work on becoming well-known and experienced with the game BEFORE making a whitelist application, not after posting it.

Sheeesh this boy LRP as hell!

Commanding Officer Council Member Pahndoomack's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I can say that I've seen you around playing XO and CMP to a degree of competence, I have NEVER seen you before the last two weeks, not on the discord or in game. I believe you should've waited longer to apply so that more players may have experienced you as a commander and as a player as a whole.

-1 from me, participate in more discussions on the discord and play more, I'm sure you'll work out to become a good CO, but it'll come with time.
    Alberto 'Topper' Staffer
    Sam 'Snake' Creed
    Jack Houser
    Synthetic Jacobs

Discord Pahndoomak#7127

Frankly, stuff.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah no. Familiarize marine law and play alot of command role. -1

Dev Team Manager Stan_albatross's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I, for one, do play on BST and have seen you in CIC/bigtext roles a few times (only in the last two weeks or so however). My major criticsm is that you are too passive and not talkative enough over the radio - I rarely saw your name in the squad channels. Also announcing things such as OBs, Queens without giving proper location names - this is a red flag for me. Saying simply "ob out on charlie SL coords" or "queen on delta SL" is not useful to 3/4 marines (or even more than that) and is failing to optimise the powerful tool that is the CO announcement to its maximum strength. Use the overwatch consoles to determine the locations of these things (or simply ask) and include that in the announcement.

Karl Karlsson, the man (and sometimes Captain)
    Maxwell, the synth
    Enhath'vot Guan-Dha, the predator
    Also a feature Coder & CM's Maintainer Team Manager

Timeline :
    Spoiler Spoiler:

[CENTER]Retired Synth councilman, forever a member of IO gang

Senior Admin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    withdrawing app