Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Boiler

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    how he works require atleast 1000 hours of gameplay to even grasp concept of good playstyle.
    I would settle for 5 minutes of gameplay as a boiler cause you have no idea what you are talking about.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you serious? He was being sarcastic, it is much easier than manning a mortar, it is much easier than being any marine role even.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ttly View Post
    Are you serious? He was being sarcastic, it is much easier than manning a mortar, it is much easier than being any marine role even.
    I know what sarcasm is and I know he was being sarcastic. I am belittling him because he has no idea what he is talking about. He literally doesn't know the basic mechanics of the boiler but he sure knows how to fix them. Ya that's sarcasm too.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShakeEZ View Post
    I know what sarcasm is and I know he was being sarcastic. I am belittling him because he has no idea what he is talking about. He literally doesn't know the basic mechanics of the boiler but he sure knows how to fix them. Ya that's sarcasm too.
    I know how it is to be a marine behind cades. Guess we both have to learn.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    I know how it is to be a marine behind cades. Guess we both have to learn.
    Ya that's cool so talk about what its like being a marine behind cades getting fucked by boilers. That's 100% valid. Just don't try to argue the mechanics when you don't know them. I play marines sometimes too just play xeno more. My marine name is Johan Blaine you probably seen me salting in dead chat a few times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been playing on the server for a few months now. The boiler can be annoying to fight against but can be countered with a sniper , or a scoped marine, and a well placed rocket. A Boiler will have a hard time fighting alone, and requires support from a defender, or other nearby castes to watch over it (and tank bullets) since its speed doesn't really allow it to out pace marines which can be result in death, if an unexpected marine push occurs without a speed mutation. Along with it's weak initial health pool, I also think that while a Boiler is a very vital role for Xenos it can still be substituted for a Praetorian since they can quickly spam out sticky resin which can also be detrimental to a marine push combined with a good wall defense can make corridors of death.

Here are some suggestions that I think can be used to test the waters for a Boilers nerf. (Not saying I want a nerf but I can see it happening with the Boilers current state)

1. Prevent Boilers from recharging plasma when dug in and firing spit
    2. Reduce the damage dealt by the spray acid

Most caste have their own unique ability's and play styles Boiler is no different. Also Xenos aren't the only ones who can offscreen kill.
    Last edited by Mr.Dbaggy; 01-24-2019 at 01:38 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, snipers doesn't work because other xenos can just bodyblock to buy time enough for the gas to fly and them to heal.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still find it funny that the SADAR off screen killing potential was nerfed because "its not fair" yet we have boiler wider gas off screen kills that wipe out entire squads if timed well.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swagile View Post
    I still find it funny that the SADAR off screen killing potential was nerfed because "its not fair" yet we have boiler wider gas off screen kills that wipe out entire squads if timed well.
    Because you can walk out of a boiler gas cloud you cant walk out of a rocket that hits your instantly after being fired from the rpg and gibs you. You can also be revived from anything as a marine. Give me a pill that ungibs my body and brings me back to 100% health in 2 minutes like kelotane does for gas clouds and you can instakill me off screen all day.

Whitelisted Captain FGRSentinel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShakeEZ View Post
    You don't even know how boilers work, surprise. Go play a boiler then tell me what needs to change.
    Alright, as someone that's played both Boilers frequently and Marines, I can say this:

The boiler is, without a doubt, becoming the next tank, if not worse.

Why is this? Let's look at the individual issues with the Boiler compared to the many complaints and factors regarding the tank, positive and negative:

1. Offscreen killing ability:
    Tank: one of the major complaints the tank received for the longest time and possibly one of the things that got it removed from standard gameplay. If you get hit by the LBT shot, you're good as dead, no questions about it. Combined with the TOW it was a nightmare.
    Boiler: At present, the Boiler fires a glob of neuro/acid gas from beyond the edge of the screen that, in the case of acid globs, inflict massive burn damage on impact, enough to paincrit or even instakill any Marine unfortunate enough to be hit in the face with it. On top of that, Elder Boiler gas with wider gas is able to cover a screen from edge to edge, making a massive area uninhabitable for Marines and making it dangerous to recover bodies inside the gas, which still take burn damage. And god help you if you're in a small FOB at the LZ on LV or Ice and it gets gassed since you're forced out into the open or can't get out in the first place.

2. Difficulty to kill
    Tank: another commonly harped on issue with the tank was the insane durability compared to Marines or even Xenos. Any Xeno that tried to fight it from the front Will just get LBT'd/flamed/run over, while anything that gets to the side will have to spend quite a bit of time attacking it. The immense size also meant it was difficult to maneuver around in enclosed spaces if you were attacking it.
    Boiler: the Boiler may lack the tank's immense durability, but it's still tricky to take down if it's competent. Frontal charge? It's probably spitting a glob of acid in your path before it runs off. Try to flank it from the side? It's a Xeno and can see through walls, therefore making it nearly impossible to flank it without it knowing you're there. Try to used the darkness to you're advantage? It's a Xeno and can see in the dark. Get close? Acid spray. I suppose you could try moving around it while you fight it, it's smaller than a ta- oh wait, it has anti-bodyblock, so all it has to do is bump you once so you can't move, acid spray you, and slash you to death. And that's before we get into...

3. Friendly support
    Tank: The tank was almost never seen without a full squad of Marines protecting it as it lumbered slowly across the battlefield, making sure nothing got behind it or attacked from the sides.
    Boiler: Name one time a competent Boiler didn't have at least three xenos with it. I'm not talking about the ones that wandered around or sat there like idiots as the Marines swarmed their location. I'm talking about ones that moved to where the hive needed them and fired their offscreen murdergas at Marines that can't do anything to stop it. From my experience, a decent Boiler that's able to provide enough of a threat to the Marines to warrant trying to take it out specifically will have at least three Xenos around it if the hive is doing bad. From my experience, it's entirely common for the bulk of the hive to either be clustered around the Boiler to protect it/recover or ahead of it engaging Marines it's firing on. Good luck sniping that Boiler while an Ancient Defender is sitting in front of it.

4. Adaptability when being flanked
    Tank: one of the tank's weaknesses when alone. It's slow, massive, and can only fire in a 90 degree arc centered on the front of the tank. If you hit it from the side, it's often slow enough to turn and move that you can slash, move, slash a few times, return to the first location, and keep going until you either destroyed part of it or the Marines started coming back to protect it.
    Boiler: it's a XENO. Flanking a Xeno is an exercise in futility. Boilers are small, can see Marines coming in the dark and through walls, and, often, post-mutator Boilers can outrun fully-armored Marines. The fact is, if you can see it, it's already seen you and is either setting up its escape or pulling out if it's smart. Not only that, but a Boiler is capable of firing directly behind itself without turning while dug in.

5. Counterplays
    Tank: as stated above, the tank is/was slow, massive, and had a narrow firing arc. On most maps, all Xenos had to do was simply pick a battleground where the tank had no room to maneuver or, more likely, couldn't even reach in the first place. One or two Xenos would watch where the tank was, report it's location, and then the hive would either attack somewhere else or force the Marines to abandon the tank so flankers could attack it on its own. Not only that, but its slow speed meant that if it was forced to withdraw it would slow the Marine retreat or be left behind, making it a liability in many situations.
    Boiler: The Boiler is actually harder to counter. Its abilities don't slow the hive's advance like the tank's flamer does to the Marines, while being as hard as any other Xeno to flank. In theory, the Boiler has four hard counters: snipers, mortar fire, CAS strikes, and OBs... But a sniper can't kill it before it wanders out of range to heal. Not only that, but when you look at the other three counters you realize something: Xeno mains complained so much about offscreen kills, the kind that a Boiler can provide, that all named Marine options have a low chance to hit their target, let alone kill it, unless it's very specific instances. All of these weapons require a laser designation that Xenos can easily see, giving them more than enough warning to clear the area. The Mortar is inaccrate and makes a whistling sound near the point of impact. CAS can only fire at spots with a nice red dot up and helpfully creates a blinking green dot to show exactly where the CAS will hit, while again making a noise that gives all but the slowest/most reckless xenos time to get out of the area unless it's a Keeper. The OB makes a loud noise that can be heard from several screens away more than five seconds before it lands, giving every Xeno time to bolt and making OB only useful if you guess where the Xenos will run and/or fire incendiary warheads. In all these cases, a Boiler without speed mutators is able to get out of the blast area without much issue, leaving the Boiler with no true hard counter if they have a brain. Not only that, but it gets worse: According to info Neth has shared with people on Discord, the Boiler will be getting an Anti Air ability as part of the CAS rework, making it the hard counter to something that's generally unable to effectively counter it unless the PO's lucky.
    Last edited by FGRSentinel; 01-24-2019 at 04:43 PM.
    Retired CO Councilor (Winter 2019-Spring 2020, Winter 2020-Spring 2021)

Goddard Pearsall, the Pilot that (almost) always has Souto

Unofficial source of help for new/inexperienced POs. Message me here or on Discord if you'd like advise on anything.