User Tag List

Thread: Smokeych3353 - Developer Application (Coder)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smokeych3353 - Developer Application (Coder)

Developer Application
    Byond ID?
    smokeych3353

Age?

Gender?
    Male

How would you define yourself? (Coder, Mapper, Spriter):
    Coder

If Coder, what languages?
    C++

Any previous experience developing with SS13?
    Negative

Proof of any previous or current work:
    Most of my previous work is only university work I have done in learning C++ and not much else so I would not consider it actual "work" since its just small practical assignments.

How well do you know Git?
    I have browsed on it a few times but never actually used it

Your primary job is server development, not policing the server. You may be given Moderator-level of access but you should *not* be invoking any administrative actions unless there are no moderators or Admins online. Do you understand?
    Yes

Anything else you'd like to add?
    Regarding the way DM works I have looked up stuff on it which obviously is not a confident reason for applying as a large contributor to development. Really my goal in applying as a dev is so that I could possibly help out with any minor issues or tasks that are ignored or sidelined so that I could not only do something for a game I find awesome but to also gain experience in learning to apply my coding skills to something.
    Last edited by Smokeych3353; 07-25-2020 at 01:52 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, thank you for your application.

I had a few questions.
    If you do not wish to share your work/background you can pm the replies as well.
    Lets start from the top.

The first question ill give a bit of an explanation behind.
    You say you know C++ from uni.
    It is no secret I am in uni. My major is both IT and programming related. However during my time spend on my physics degree I also had to do coding in python, mathlab and such.
    I ask this because where I am form most of the programming majors teach java, C# or python first. I know this because I did research when I went for my uni.
    I do not know how this is oversea's. And there are valid reasons to start with C++ (Used a lot and still easy to learn.)
    So my actual question would be are you following an IT/programming based major at uni?
    Your reply is more to get a baseline for your learning curve.

For the second question.
    We refer to the version control system git not to our gitlab.
    I assume that is a no?

Question three.
    I think your goals are quite vague.
    What would you consider small stuff that others have not picked up?
    Is there anything you would like to see ingame or would like to do?

How to become senior dev.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, thanks for the reply.

Regarding my uni work, I wouldn't mind sending it or sharing it since really they are just assignments that tell us what needs to be done and we just do them. The issue is taking them from my virtual machine running linux and moving it to my computer which I can do for you but I feel like putting it in the forum would just clutter it but let me know if it would help and I can get something together from some assignments on the tasks and what I did to make it work.

To answer the first question:
    No I am not studying a major in programming or computer science related stuff, I am currently studying electrical engineering. One of our modules (or subjects, same thing) is programming in C++. To be more specific, the stuff we were taught and went through were basic programming stuff like strings, loops and files , decision making statements (if else stuff), arrays (and sorting/searching) , functions, pointers, some stuff on classes and structured data (but I will admit I do not understand structured data 100%). I hope this answers the question.

Second question:
    Yeah pretty much no.

Third question:
    In regard to the small things, I mean not major tasks such as totally new systems and whatnot since I clearly don't have the experience to embark on such an endeavor because If I did, I am afraid that I would probably ask too many questions which really defeats the point of me even being there in the first place. So to give an example lets say a new spec kit was made but its not really a priority and isn't needed within any time period, I could work on it. Another example would be lets say a dev needed to change the sprites for something or the interaction of an object with an item is not correct but it isn't a massive issue and could be fixed by me. I guess an example would be like fixing the requisitions ASRS gates being horizontal at round start. I want to help out on non-prioritized projects because obviously being new to DM I would need to look at its interactions and whatnot (syntax looks fairly easy though) and be a helping hand on anything annoying or minor (such as balance changes which aren't minor but changing the values and whatnot, changing sprites,fixing issues) and learn at the same time.

On whether there's something new in the game I want to see or work on?
    I am not the most creative person but I suppose maybe like a sorting system for the recovering objects in req from cryo? Again I doubt there really needs to be one but I don't have many ideas.
    I got these ideas while writing this, maybe a better food system (Chucking everything in the microwave is hardly cooking). Maybe not the best ideas but I am not really the most creative when it comes to new content.

I hope I answered your questions and if you need any other information or I need to explain in another way please don't hesitate to ask.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just notifying you of my reply.
    I am not sure if you saw it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry for the super late response here.

We talked the app over this sunday and would like to see you code a feature, you decide what to do, how big and how it's done. Which codebase you do it on is up to you, TG, CM leak, whatever, but we would like to see some DM code from you.

The app looks fine, we just need to know how well you can pickup the DM language.
    A small part of the Synthetic Council

with Jakkk, AcuteCircle, Pedroca2lucas and Kineem

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Closed at request of development team due to lack of response.
    Unhinged retiree boomer man
    Get off my lawn you kids