Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Abysmal State of POs

Whitelisted Captain FGRSentinel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Abysmal State of POs

Before I get to the heart of this, let me just say I've played almost every role in the game. I've learned how to expertly apply combat medicine as a Medic. I've experimented with things as a Spec. I've almost memorized every surgery as a Doctor (just don't ask me to make medicine) and have little difficulty with most engineering tasks or CIC duties. At the heart of it though, as many people probably know, I consider myself a PO main, even if I've only played a few rounds as PO in the last two weeks. Unfortunately, as a PO, I'm ashamed to say there's something that needs to be addressed.

Most POs are terrible.

Whether it be the bald POs that just need a hand and are willing to learn or the seeming veterans that continue to make bald mistakes, the majority of POs are terrible. I've seen rounds where the POs somehow get mauled on the first drop (I won't deny that this has happened to me on one occasion) and others where the POs are far too trigger happy with CAS. I've seen rounds where the POs leave all the doors unlocked and multiple wounded Marines get dragged off the dropship by a lone Xeno. I've seen a round where a PO deliberately launched Normandy down multiple times seemingly to allow the Xenos to hijack it when they weren't able to break through the FOB. I've even seen a round where someone burst on the Alamo... while it was on the ground and we spent more than three minutes begging the two POs to launch because we had wounded and dying waiting for medical treatment before then.

Sure, most of these things can be accidents, mistakes made by inexperience or just OOC exhaustion, but the simple fact is that POs have far more authority over who lives and dies than many people would like to think, especially when most CIC staff in most rounds are unwilling to intervene with more than a scolding for the POs, if that. I feel this is something that everyone needs to sit down and talk about seriously. Sometimes POs don't do these things because they're bald, overwhelmed, or even just tired. Perhaps, sometimes POs do these things because they choose to.

There's a joking claim someone made that the majority of PO players are people who were job banned from MP for griefing/soft griefing. When you stop to think about it, even if the cause isn't true, there's still validity to the statement. The PO role is one that's very easy to soft grief people with: the classic "five minute launch schedule" and "I only launch with authorization from CIC" POs or the ones that ignore the condition of the people on their ship when deciding when to launch. In the case of the "two POs let someone burst on Alamo by delaying" example above, the POs were even explicitly told by the XO that they had to launch more frequently after the fact. From that point on, they only launched when someone on board was starting to get aggravated at their delays.

I'm not saying the PO role needs to be whitelisted or given a soft whitelist. What I am saying is the role needs more accountability. There needs to be a discussion on if certain common bad PO actions should be considered griefing or otherwise ahelp worthy. There needs to be a discussion on if there's a point where certain actions cause too much of a disruption in the round to be left uncorrected. There needs to be a discussion on how bad POs are dealt with.

This is my stance on the subject. If you read the entire thing, thank you. If you have anything to say, please do so.
    Retired CO Councilor (Winter 2019-Spring 2020, Winter 2020-Spring 2021)

Goddard Pearsall, the Pilot that (almost) always has Souto

Unofficial source of help for new/inexperienced POs. Message me here or on Discord if you'd like advise on anything.

Head Ukraine
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    POs may suck because the role itself is unfun

When it will be fun, you will see better POs because there might be a fight for the slot

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I honestly hope so, but until then it just feels like the role is similar to what MPs would be if they weren't as well-policed by staff. I've suggested a whitelist or soft whitelist in the past, but at this point I'd be happy having a list of things that I can say "if a PO does this and doesn't correct it when ordered by command, they're probably soft griefing" or "if a PO does that, they're definitely griefing." I can't even have fun as a squad role since the moment I have to interact with a PO that does stuff like the classic "scheduled flight" thing, I find myself getting far more frustrated than I did when I first started playing before I mained PO.

Unofficial source of help for new/inexperienced POs. Message me here or on Discord if you'd like advise on anything.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard about a PO update that's actually let PO's 'aim' their CAS, is this still in the works?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure about the aiming part, but there is a CAS rework in progress last I heard.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's talking about transport PO role, fundamentally I don't see how it can be changed to be more fun, maybe you could add LZ3, LZ4, rotating dropships and what would it change? Just a different LZ where the not-PO roles get to land in and different direction of the exit. And if what I heard from the townhall meetings are right, the changes are in CAS rather than transport.
    And I wouldn't dare imagine to make transport more complex, since at its core it's still just going from point A to B which really isn't, shouldn't be complicated. This whole dilemma makes the role to be an "too easy" one yet at the same time "requires a lot of attention" towards its surrounding as the OP stated which isn't really fun as that means tedious work.

Yet at the same time the transport PO is also *the* PO that most marines get to deal with simply because it is their only way to get planetside and start doing things from shipside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FGRSentinel View Post
    n
    Here is the current state of Transport POs: You have no skills, all you can do is fly the ship(1 point in loaders is barely enough to let you rearm it yourself, you move like a snail). Flying the ship is boring and literally involves just pressing a button to fly between the landing site and the hangar. Locking the doors or deploying the sentries is irrelevant for 99% of the game because you'll be enclosed in the FOB(on LV you need to lock the eastern and southern doors but this is the same every time, there's no thought to it). There's no thought to put in, you go back and forth as often as you can and that's about it. The only time you have to do anything different is when the FOB is falling, at which point you suddenly need to decide whether to lock the doors, launch, or wait for people to get on. If the round is an hour and a half long, your role is literally just pushing buttons for 1 hour and 27 minutes, and then for a couple of minutes suddenly the entirety of the marine force depends on that button pushing. Everyone will be screaming at you to do 3 different contradictory things, which you can only do from an enclosed cockpit where you can't really see what's going on. If you take the time to check the cams, maybe it's too late and the queen has already rushed in and disabled the launch. If you mash lock or launch, maybe you just left 80% of the marines behind to die. Most people don't want to play PO because it's slow and dull and not a lot happens. Some people will play it because they're okay with that, but then they're woefully unprepared for the incredibly brief period of time when they suddenly become the most important marine.

CAS POs are a little different. They're in a position where they'll be called on to actually do stuff, sometimes. However, when exactly this happens is incredibly random: CAS is useless in the Caves that the xenos spend most of their time in, and a lot of SLs forget that it exists, so often you'll go most of the round with no targets. Then, when you do get a lase, you can't actually tell what you're going to be hitting. You have to rely on the person lasing to have picked a good spot. Xenos will instantly sprint away from any lasers, which means that if you take the time to use the laser camera or try to confirm the target via radio, they're gone. So, if you want any hope of being effective, you need to just launch and hope that the spotter on the ground did a good job. You also probably do medevac, but this is also literally just button pushing because POs have no medical skill. You can't actually treat the people you pull up, so at most you're a glorified taxi to medbay.

Because of this, it's no wonder that POs fuck up all the time. The role is basically DESIGNED to be a supercharged electromagnet for colossal fuckups.

Head Ukraine
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    aight aight... I see the point... I will think about what can we do for transport POs tho I doubt it will be any time soon

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, actually PO is just like a Clicker Job, there's nothing interesting about it.

I would recommend you the way how another server works with dropships, but that would be advertersing it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good POs won't play PO most of the time, since it's boring as fuck just clicking buttons every few minutes, especially with the transport role. Why would I waste my round playing PO when I can play even CL instead and I'll actually have something fun to do shipside/planetside?

So now you're either stuck with mega bald POs or shitty POs

Blame the role, not the players.