User Tag List

Thread: Synthetic guideline discussion thread

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Synthetic guideline discussion thread

Remember this little snippet of dialog said by Bishop?

"It is impossible for me to harm, or by omission of action allow to be harmed, a human being."

That establishes that synthetics, at least Gen 2s follow the standard principles of Asimov's laws of robotics, which makes no sense why the Synthetic cannot do suicidal actions to save human beings (or why they don't), such as what Bishop does several times throughout the film in Aliens. It should be forced and encouraged that they value the lives of humans over their own.

Survivor synthetic expands this problem even further, adding a role which can both be neutral to aliens and directly hostile if the marines threaten its existence, however, this could make sense given that they were a colonial synthetic programmed by "Weston-Yamada" to secure the sample that the colony discovered, whatever be the case, it seems extremely stupid to have this role be the "Yeah I support everyone, but I can't work against the marines, oh except if they threaten my existence", instead of trying to de-escalate the situation like an actual Synthetic would, we have aspies going around as synths directly antagonizing people, trivializing roleplay and the programming doesn't stop that in the slightest. It's immersion shattering to see synthetics acting like this, survivor or not.

Oh and fucking remove whatever code prevents synthetics (and their torso's) from being gibbed just because you don't want permadeath for synthetics, if they're getting ripped apart by the queen they should NOT be able to be repaired, that's just extremely dumb.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That establishes that synthetics, at least Gen 2s follow the standard principles of Asimov's laws of robotics
    Wasn't the one from the first movie a gen 2 though? At least, as far as I remember, he looked human and didn't have the extremely white skin colour that gen 1s do. And he still very much allowed the crew to come to harm.

It is impossible for me to harm, or by omission of action allow to be harmed, a human being
    And also, if we had it worded that way, we would probably have all combat synths, since by attacking the xenos they decrease the chance of marines getting harmed.

Also synths doing suicidal shit to save marines kinda ends up being either combat synthing, which (thankfully) is against the rules, or running at xenos and pulling away downed marines, while getting showered with bullets and yelled at to get out of the firing lines. Not fun for anyone involved. We don't exactly have a "enable this beacon in this corner of the AO to get a chance to evac" type of thing. (Although having bonus objectives would be pretty cool)
    Viktor Kovalevsky
    Martin Dark

02.10.20 - mentor

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CM lore by being a mess creates such goblins.

"G1" synths come from the game "Alien Isolation" and are made by Seegson, not WY.
    In the movies and games there doesn't exist a designation for Generations 1/2/3.
    Ash was Hyperdyne Systems 120-A/2, Bishop was 341-B.
    Technically a "G2" in CM. "G3" in CM just lets a Synth pick a skin colour and more hair I guess.

Also its wrong assumption that all "G2" follow Asimov lawset just because Bishop has to follow alteast first guideline. Synths follow whatever they are programmed for, thus Ash could do whatever he wanted. The only thing that forces those strict rules is a ban on Combat Synths that USCM has to follow no matter what and WY has to pretend it follows.
    Most likely Synthetic lawset works more like Robocop prime directives, where he had to obey all of the directives all of the time, but was allowed to not follow some if they stood directly in contradiction. Like when he had to arrest Dick Jones, but his 4th directive said he can't, but he also had to "Uphold the law", in that case he was allowed to do nothing.

So standard "G2/G3" USCM synth most likely has a set of prime directives, where protection from harm stands equal to his own existance. In situation where human is about to be harmed and Synth could save him, but there would be a very high chance that Synth would die himself, then he doesn't have to do it.

Thats why I think we need to expand, instead of the opposite. Synthvivors shouldn't be "G1" WY creations, but Seegson machines commisioned by WY to work on their colonies/prisons/etc. Seegson Synths should be also a viable choice for Synth player to be on Almayer. Battalion of retards and conscripts with ID locks on pillbottles, "grenade safety" on green alert and Commanders who aren't even authorised to use Nuke without bringing ship's AI enough proof that the threat is great enough to use one. That battation somehow always gets super top-notch G3 synth model, the newest and the most advanced from WY, just with small mechanical lock from wearing armor and using firearms/grenades, while possesing all of the knowledge of how to use them perfectly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man atleast Hawkes shitposts were funny
    Nathon Stafford-Sunglasses wearing Delta L42 kiter man. Sometimes a Captain.
    Benedict-Praiser of Jesus, healer of marines, killer of Queens.
    Kahn'Ikesh-Blooded Hunter and great grandson of Gor'don Ram-sey
    (pfp by Manezinho)
    medals:https://pastebin.com/xiCJLuhz
    Mapper since 12/29/2020
    Had dev role assasinated on 8/2/21

Synth Councilor as of 2/5/21 along with Jakk, Frogzeke, Yukonsnow, and Flpls
    DM what#3954 for help with Synth Applications

Retired Manager
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bruh moment
    Former staff, also former Synthetic senator.

Now just a shitposter and lurker.

Whitelisted Captain 50RemAndCounting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lmaooooooooooooooooo how salty can a single person be in this godforsaken game
    Sheeesh this boy LRP as hell!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And people wonder why I exiled him from the community.
    Unhinged retiree boomer man
    Get off my lawn you kids