Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas mask - Why so unpopular?

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobatnight View Post
    I wish they'd just change gas masks back to being straight up aesthetic items because at the moment they're garbage.

CM needs more fluff items in general.
    Cutrent gasmasks even look shitty as a sprite. Why can't we have retrofuturistic M-40? That would give a bit more sense to obscuring view, while current are modern piece of a plastic for a visor that wouldn't obscure vision in any way. Even basic SS13 gasmask looks cooler.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The vison penalty is ASS it takes away like three tiles completely and buries another like two. I mean its horrid, runners and benos can easily sneak up on you.
    Commanding Officer Mark 'Sherman' Wilson

Synthetic Unit Marcus

Predator Rekag'Voli

Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The gas mask sprites looks mediocre, the SWAT Mask is far more in line to what I'd expect it to look like.

Aesthetics above all else, I'd gladly accept a more limited vision if the gas mask sprite was cool looking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThesoldierLLJK View Post

this is why
    You telling us neurotoxin gas doesn't need to be breathed to blind/deafen you?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah gas masks still suck ass vs neuro/acid gas. It lessens the effect/damage sure, but you're not gonna be able to safely charge through a neuro/acid gas with it. And it's still taking 3 vision tiles away.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fucks over your vision

It's trash

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sprite for the gas mask doesn't match how it limits your view. You've got a massive area you should be able to see through yet it feels like you're wearing something way more claustrophobic.

And the gas mask sucks because any drop in vision in this game is a massive nerf no matter how much damage it stops you from taking in gas.
    Chen "Disco" West, Proud recipient of the "Realest Nigga on the Bloc" Award.
    My Dossier, it's good. Trust me. Read it.
    Secondary Objective: Stay Safe, Stick Together, Kick the ass of anything that might need an ass kicking. If you find any booze bring it up to CIC for me please.
    Not everyone who lost their life on Space Nam' died there. Not everyone who came home from Space Nam' ever left there.

Whitelisted Captain FGRSentinel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly I'd only take the gas mask if wearing it, a helmet, gloves, boots, and the standard uniform gave you near-total immunity to nero/acid gas clouds. The USCM fatigues say in their description that they're basically CBRN protective suits, so it'd at least make sense.
    Retired CO Councilor (Winter 2019-Spring 2020, Winter 2020-Spring 2021)

Goddard Pearsall, the Pilot that (almost) always has Souto

Unofficial source of help for new/inexperienced POs. Message me here or on Discord if you'd like advise on anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imo my biggest hate in the gasmask lies in the fact you STILL get paincrit from just walking few tiles in an acid gas, but then I sort of understand. But also you STILL loose full hearing AND get blurred vision from neuro and that's bs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The gas mask was intended to let engineers and medics treat people and repair barricades while a FOB is being attacked, only later was it given out to all of the standard marines