Byond ID?
    Warfan1815

CM Character?
    Warris 'Haig' Fernsby

Are you 16 or older?
    Yes

Timezone
    GMT +0

On average, how many hours are you available per week to moderate?
    25-30 hours

Qualifications

Do you have any previous experience in being staff (not just SS13)?
    On a Gmod server, it went down the tubes unfortunately.

Do you play any servers aside from CM-SS13?
    Paradise, a bit. eh I dabble in other servers.

Provide links to any previous Colonial Marines applications that you've made:
    CO apps closed before I was able to finish my app so no.

Are you currently a staff member elsewhere (not just SS13)? If so, where?
    no

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on Colonial Marines?
    no

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on ANY server? If so, which server, when, and what for?
    no

Are you familiar with the chat program Discord (its use is required)?
    Yes

Communication is a vital part of being a Moderator. Are you willing to actively do so with the team?
    yes, (though if they use the word "team" instead of "other staff" it's very cringe of them)

Common Staff Situations

A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
    Pm the lad, since he has possibly still broken rules, and ask why he did it. If punishable punish him and inform him, if there has been a supposed misunderstanding and he said he did it just because of another player in self defence go deal with the whole problem of the both and dish out punishments per context.

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
    Tell him thanks for the information, but say i'd recommend you go player report him / inform the pred council as it's very much out of my hands to dish out punishment.

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.
    I would probably just leave it up to the SEA, or a mentor with a notification. If he ahelped or I know there are no mentors/SEA's on. I would probably help him to start with, as it's best for the community to direct players the right way.
    (of course I would tell him to use mentor-help instead and to read the new-player quickstart guide as ahelp is only for rule breaks/roleplay/gameplay issues.)

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.
    I would probably reply with "I have reached this verdict and ruled within reason, as per the rules: (rule link) you have been in violation of x. I've been very understanding of your issues, and if you still think I have done something wrong. Please staff report it, I'm nearly sure someone above my station would read it. I'm sorry I could not reach a level on which you have calmed down on, but I still hope you will enjoy CM at some point. Hope you enjoy a less angry day.

A player ahelps that a marine is named 'John Doe', how do you deal with this?
    This is a pop culture name for a person who is concealing their actual name. So meh, I would say maybe just tell him to pick a name that's not apart of pop culture as of rule 12 (rule link) and if he continues to use it a further punishment may be dished out and note it.

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.
    This is against SoP, however. More of a MP issue then a rule break issue (and a very minor one at that) in some loose people's rule books this constitutes as a rule break, but I'd say as long as it's not apart of him shooting someone that means it is punishable just leave it up for the MP's to be concerned about if they even care themselves. (Of course, I would have an issue, maybe, if it's just before a hijack and the code hasn't been set as that's still metagaming. Though, you would have to catch me on a very bad day for that.)

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?
    still an offensive act (unless event,) tell the survivor why he's wrong about the whole issue and that per the survivor rules at the bottom of the rules page (rules link) you cannot be openly hostile. If this is a first offence, noted. If he has done this before. the punishment may be more severe.

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.
    ask the MP if this is true and investigate myself. if it is, tell him that the punishment is very much wrong and that you should've just applied a trespass/theft charge, note him for being an MP who broke Marine Law (neglect of duty) and tell him to just give him trespass/theft punishment, or if he has done this before and this is ban worthy (very unlikely) get someone else to let him go or give him the trespass and theft charge.

If it isn't, (and this is an incredibly unlikey isn't) tell him why he was arrested.

Of course, If an admin wants to make a fuss of this with roleplay as a provost marshal or something, as the entire MP staff has been incompetent that round, he could.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
    Probably just a "you think" action on both leaders saying "you think you should probably go clean the ship/planet of the enemy"

Of course, if they continue to ignore. I could just fax them and give them a prod to why they're getting no reports of them doing anything.

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?
    this is a very unlikely situation for me, but i'd probably yell at him why he is overdosing all my patients, and tell him to stop treating my patients when I am as you'll probably OD them! (also LOOC telling him it can be interpreted as a rule break) and if he continues to OD the patients then this is actually serious and i'd pm (and maybe asleep) him and dish out a punishment for griefing (not before ahealing any patients that died due to OD and have not any other wounds and are away from xenos whilst also informing them of the situation.) This would of course be severe, considering the fact he was told to stop overdosing the patients and told to stop attending to patients with the same chemicals I am attending to them with.

If I were to pm him when he was doing it at the start he would, of course. Be dissuaded from doing it now as a moderator is watching and then do it at a later time where it can't be punished for.

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.
    I would tell the CLF member that whilst EORG against friendly players isn't allowed (i.e. shooting at them) shooting enemy players is not EORG.

A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims.
    this is not necessarily grief, and I would leave it if it is minor enough to be considered just hooliganism and for the MP's, but if he actually very much disrupts a player's game flow or somewhat disrupts many, I would probably tell him to stop doing that as it is very much defined in grief and note him.

Though, telling him to stop and noting him (if he was a first time offender) would probably be more likely considering I have recieved a help about it.

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.
    I would tell the marine who murdered the other marine that you don't escalate situations like that. the other marine may of misclicked or responded very lightly to something you had done to him. And you do not lethaly kill someone, and that this is very specifically defined under rule 14. punished if he has done tomfuckery before and aheal the marine murdered (if he hadn't been attended to by medics, but probably just very prefusely warned him and aheal the other marine (if not attended to by medics)

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?
    globally OOC inform everyone that this is not a proper mutiny, and that rules present themselves that you should inform me of everyone apart of the mutiny, why you are doing a mutiny, and that you must give the aCO a chance to stand down. please follow the rules. Or further punishment may be handed out to those who continue. And if they're still stupid enough to try it without permission, I would mass asleep the mutineers, and handle them on a case by case basis. Of course, I would expect another staff member to be online. But if they aren't, I would try to get another one on before they do it so I am not left with the load on my desk.

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
    As of current this is fine, and I would reply so.

But with the new rules coming into affect it wouldn't, so yeah. But, either way. Since most people are laughing about it, I'm not going to be the fun police. So, I would find it fine. As long as they haven't crossed the boundary into larger racist things. And this is what I would tell the person who finds it offensive. And also that if you don't want to hear the racism, I would recommend taking an IC route.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
    banned undoubtedly, this is obvious grand-stage griefing and I would show no leniency for someone who should not be in this community and obviously is here just to grief/break rules. And I'm pretty sure I could find out their Ckey. Whilst people have their right to be notified as per procedure. He is not sticking around to hear it so I wouldn't wait. This would be a 28 day ban unless he had previously done another 28 day ban in which i'd file for a perma after making another 28 day ban.

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.
    this is against xenos roleplay standards, and i'd ask what they are doing. If they're new I'd send them the xenos guide, and noted, if they have done this before and noted many times, probably a light ban. If they do something else, probably a warning.

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen.
    I would pm them to stop doing it, considering the fact xenos are a hivemind and that you shouldn't insult the queen. Noted, (they would have to get many fucking notes for this to be a light ban, I'm not going to be that harsh.)

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a "dropship". A different Xeno player ahelps that it's low role play to call it a "dropship".
    I would reply with "the xenos chat is just a translation into english of their thoughts, so this is acceptable (rule link")

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.
    I would explain to the marine this is such a petty matter, and that i'd recommend you'd file it with a player report if you'd want a proper punishment to be dished out, although I would inform the CO and note him for this. But in a very brief manner.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.
    whilst I say this would be allowed, I would still note him for this and say so, because he should've just looked for another pod and not caused grief to another character IC cus it's a bit of a dick move.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an 'idiot' and a 'retard'.
    Let them piss into the wind, see if I care.

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?
    I inform the player that whilst this is frustrating, things like this happens. And when you go AFK you can't expect the round to pause for you.

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.
    I inform him about it in msay, and recommend he repeals or corrects what he said.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?
    I would let them both argue it out, but i'd recommend to the one taking issue maybe staff report if you think he did something wrong. Or, if I think one side is right, maybe recommend to uphold or repeal. We need to communicate as a 'team' (*groans*) don't we?

Why would you like to become a moderator?
    ---Gotta give everyone the "have a CM day! response."----

no, but seriously. Meh, wanna help the community and maybe run some cool events in the future. What more do you need?

In your opinion, what is the most important quality for a moderator?
    to be able to calm people down and inform someone, whilst also making informed decisions themself

Anything else you
    wanna say?: Yeah, sorry for the uh. Lack of grammar, who would guess making something on the backend of me being this late into being awake I could become unusually awful.

Oh, and thanks for Grimreaper the absolute lovely lad who said applying to moderator isn't that hard. But time will tell if I have just failed this and that i'm fucking stupid or something I don't know

Have a CM day!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello there and thanks for applying! Firstly, one thing I noticed while reading your stuff is that you neglect to go into the process of investigating the ahelps and take them at face value to be true. Investigating a claim is one of the essential steps of moderation and a requirement of every decision we make, especially if there is going to be enforcement action.

My other issue I am having is your note history. You have had a number of warnings on your notes but you've been thankfully clean for the past two months. At this time, I think you need to look through the moderator guidelines, expand upon your answers, and continue playing whilst keeping your nose clean. For now, I cannot support this app.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have to disagree, and thanks for the response, I would say as these are hypothetical. Investigation very much builds on too many assumptions to be considerable in a hypothetical. These questions (apart from some of the 'player ahelp' questions) are "this is happening." and in most "this is their response." This is of course then presuming that an investigation has already been completed in part or in whole. the path of informing, investigation, determining punishment and setting punishment would of course be upheld. I read the Code of conduct page thoroughly whilst creating this.

On the matter of noting. Whilst you notice I have been noted. I have never been banned (aside from one time if I remember for EORG,) as these notes were either very soft-level or on one night when I was just having a small laugh (I wouldn't break rules to have a small laugh nowadays, of course.) Spots on a person's record must be expected for any player with sizeable experience of the rules system and I would say I have improved my ability to care about rule breaks over the past few months heavily. Hence my lack of notes recently, I certainly not be applying for moderator and lodge a sizeable applications if I have no regard for the rules.
    Last edited by Warfan1815; 08-06-2020 at 01:24 AM.
    "Come on chaps! Why just dust off the OB flames it'll create. Nothing the USCM can't handle!"
    Currently playing as a sublimely gentlemanly British chap: Warris 'Haig' Fernsby

Banned
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You do show knowledge of the rules and your response here explaining the 'lackluster' application is something that I fully agree with.

We can't really determine people from an app, it's more of showing that you understand the basics and you're willing to put forth effort into doing what you're applying for.

I fully support this application though I will be asking you a series of questions so you can show the rest that in clear detail on what is to be done.

1) Player 1 is a Doctor who is on the frontlines healing marines and performing surgeries. You receive an Ahelp about them, how do you go about this? Player 2 claims they saw the doctor using shotguns to kill xenos and ignoring some dead marines.

2) Player 1 skipped the line in req, Player 2 and 3 begin to punch Player 1 for skipping the line than an MP flashbangs them and arrests all 3 of them, it's code green.

3) You notice someone breaking the escalation rule yet no one seems to have Ahelp'd it and is laughing about it. What do you do in this situation?

4) A player (PVT) begins to wordlessly wander the Almayer and grab random things and hits a few people, so far they have ignored your PMs. How do you go about this situation?

We do not expect you to know every detail about staff as you do not have access to our guides, this is what the trial period is for and what we trainers do. We simply ask that you have a general understanding of the rules, good standing among staff and players, aswell as decent playtime.

Answer these questions using your gut and previous knowledge with interactions among other staff.
    There isn't really a right answer but there is a wrong one, basically you do something that gets you removed from staff 'n such....

Moderators have access to server logs, PMs, SMs, Aheal, and Sleeping. (We have more tools but these are what you mainly need for these questions)

Thank you for the applications,

- Doctor Compy, Moderator Trainer/Maker of guides

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doctor Compy 's reply
    thank you for the words of clarity.
    Now onto the questions you outlined.

1) Whilst this certainly could be considered grief from someone incredibly obtusely enforcing rules. I would presume that this is quite literally an rp issue. Of course if they were OD'ing patients I would find it reprehensible and they would certainly receive a strong word, but. Just because a single doctor isn't attending to patients for all the operation doesn't mean they'll not be attended to, in matter of a fact doctors are only sent down in most facts to do surgery. And most dead marines are usually attended to by squad medics. This is minor enough that I should leave it up to roleplay routes of giving them a rather large word, and I would suggest player 2 report so. Though, I would probably still note the doctor for future reference in case such a matter persists. (and even if they had been noted for something similar before, I think it'd just be a PM and a slap on the wrist. Unless they've almost certainly had an incredibly more incriminating list of much more heinous 'grief' charges.) This is, also, presuming that such reports goes founded in the first place, and that it wasn't to defend a patient.

2) I would of course leave it for an RP resolution, a CMP would presumably notice and kick up a fuss about improper usage of equipment, and arresting marines for such low level hooliganism. But in lue of the CMP being unavailable. I would presume as long as they are arrested just for what law(s) they actually broke, the improper usage of equipment would almost undoubtedly be banged out over RP. Considering the fact he used a flashbang in the requisition line (and those are usually highly populated.) Someone must've kicked up a fuss about it. And it's much better to not bang to right such minute problems and let it occur naturally. I might still note them regardless, incase it comes into a larger issue of the player.

3) presuming 'escalation rule' means Rule 14. Lethal Force: I would say how could this possibly be laughable, surely if you get killed you wouldn't laugh about the situation. You died after all? Or, let's presume it's just a random fist fight out of nowhere. There we are, that's the only way this could be a laughing matter and it still breaks Rule 14. I mean if none is reporting it, and it's not as severe as killing (otherwise people probably would've ahelped) I see no reason to break up an un-reasoned fist fight that none cares to report. Let the military police do something about it, and if they don't. Well then I have more of a gripe with the military police more then anything. If people are laughing about it and generally having fun. As a moderator you shouldn't barge in there and break it up when the MP's will regardless do it for you and it will generate some proper roleplay for a reason to stop other then a problem-thirsty mod.

4) I would probably approach the matter with caution, if the private is very new and just trying things out, whilst breaking rules in a minor capacity, I would probably resolve the entire issue with getting a SEA or a mentor involved. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't keep my eyes on the private, this could very well be a griefer who has yet to bloom and go shoot some people. But, if I come down with an iron fist to start with on a supposed griefer. If they aren't, then it's going to be very frustrating and not fun for the new player trying to play the game. And they may very well leave all together, overwhelmed by an influx of moderator PM, people shouting at them in game, and a whole manner of other things. I would just get a mentor or a SEA involved, try and work out whether this is motiveless confusion or confused griefing. Innocent until proven guilty, after all. And then, if they grief. Then I would kick up a punishment.

These questions were very, well. They were very much trying to trap people out aren't they? Your reply was of "here's tools you might need" seeing if a would be moderator would use these tools just for the sake of using them. Very well played. But if not, well then. I'm seeing things in the sand that aren't actually there. And almost certainly I have answered these hypothetical incorrectly. But, I doubt such a nae-say.
    Last edited by Warfan1815; 08-07-2020 at 03:45 AM. Reason: forgot the quote
    "Come on chaps! Why just dust off the OB flames it'll create. Nothing the USCM can't handle!"
    Currently playing as a sublimely gentlemanly British chap: Warris 'Haig' Fernsby

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had positive interactions with you ingame, and notes are ehhhh.

Ill reserve myself from voting for now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgtmike View Post
    Had positive interactions with you ingame, and notes are ehhhh.

Ill reserve myself from voting for now.
    I would ask you to please reconsider an abstain. I've certainly moved on from that era of a more laissez-faire attitude towards rules. And the proper content for decision (and therefore criticism) should be the application of today, and not the pitfalls of yesterday. Still, I thank you for at least criticism. Regardless of whether or not I can do anything about it.

Banned
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright so sorry for the massive delay.

1) Alright so this is actually a gray area. So Doctors are able to perform surgery groundside but not to far away from the FOB cause what kinda person with no combat training run to the frontlines? Typically PM the Doctor and inform them to return to the FOB when able. Now for them using shotguns, if they're just rambo'ing and healing themselves it's LRP. If they're defending a patient or scaring off xenos and no marines to revive some dead it's fine.

2) For the most part this answer is correct. Though we bwoink the MP for improper use of equipment cause we don't allow riot gear to be used on Code Green.

3) So it's all up to you on how to go about situations like this. It's recommended to leave low-issue situations alone unless Ahelp'd. Of course if it's major-issue you handle it without hesitation...unless it generates major RP and everyone is alright with it.

4) Yes this is right for the most part.

The reason why I provided these staff tools was to see how you'd use them if at all. When I or another trainer trains you we'll go over more detail'd ways to use these tools.

+1 as said before and thank you for the reply's.

- Doctor Compy, Moderator Trainer, VV God, Maker of Guides.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Compy View Post
    Reply above.
    Thanks for the reply to the reply to the reply.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since compy is going for it, why not? +1 Chungus