Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bardinatavern - Commanding Officer Application

Commanding Officer Whitelist Application
    Byond ID?
    bardinatavern

Player Name You Use Most?
    Jameson 'Drugman' Hawkins

Make a list of links to all of your ban appeals as well as whitelist and staff applications (both accepted and denied) submitted within the past year. For appeals, provide an additional ban reason and the appeal’s verdict next to the link.
    //showthrea...er-Application
    CO App - Withdrawn
    //showthrea...al-(Timed-Ban)
    You have been banned by 50remandcounting.
    Reason: Rule 3 - As a PO refused to medevac a marine because they were "rude to him". Was uncouth and aggressive when PMed about it as well..

Resolved - Denied, bans 24 hours or less cannot be appealed.
    I didn't realize you had to staff complaint for 24 hours at the time.

Have you received any bans in the last month?
    No

What is your timezone in UTC?
    UTC-05

What is your discord username and handle?
    BardInATavern64#3189

What do you think is the job of a Commander?
    Rather boring answer but to Command. Your job isn't to deploy first drop and unga with the best of them. A lot of the time there won't be an XO and you won't be able to deploy period even if circumstances might make it reasonable to do so. You have a command tablet, and complete operational control. Your main job is to draw up a battle plan, or assist the XO in doing so. After that you need to talk with SLs, keep tabs on the squads and their movements, fire OBs, and keep announcements going so they know what's going on. If you have an XO a lot of this can be offloaded on to them, and you can go field command after 2nd drop, but that's not your main job as you won't always have an XO.

Why do you want to be a Commanding Officer?
    I like commanding and doing wonky strats. I've done an LZ1 round where after an OB we managed to win before the 1 and a half hour mark by getting a crap ton of marines in an elevator and flanking their hive with that + ladders. Stuff like that's extremely fun, and I think having a CO Whitelist to have would let me better do things like that.

What do you think you could contribute by being whitelisted?
    Being a reasonably competent commander that does wonky strats without being outright suicidal. I'm not the most fun or inventive XO to ever play the game, but I feel I'm at least alright.

How will your Commanding Officer behave? Describe their character.
    Give at least a minute before battle for marines to pray, Charlie breakfast is mandatory because we respect tradition here, praise the marines and bless them over comms. Don't declare a fiery crusade in the name of Allah, that's a bit too far.

Religious commander that likes squad traditions and would prefer they stick to their niche.

Name and briefly describe your Commanding Officer's own ship.
    "Excuse me Captain?"
    "Yes, Commodore?"
    "I couldn't help but notice your ship.."
    "Yes, quite impressive isn't it"
    "That's...certainly one word to describe it."
    In the name of all things holy, the USS "Effingham" should not be capable of flight. It is a strapped together pile of shit with visible rust on the outside. The engines are somehow BEHIND the cargo hold and scorch the side of it's walls because whoever designed it was high. The inside is barely being held together with spot welds, duct tape, and a lot of hope. Hull breaches and depressurization happen so frequently that everyone on board is required to wear a pressure suit. The lighting hasn't worked in years, so it's pretty much mandatory to bring a flashlight as well. Somehow this testament to man's own folly in the form of a ship actually has high end FTL capabillity and is unreasonably fast for it's size, along with having a ludicrous armament of multiple enormous howitzers which were nicked from supply depots in barely functioning condition. There's been two incidents of them blowing up as a result of the fact they're rusted pieces of garbage that military forces threw out that got duct taped onto a ship. Whoever takes this thing into battle has a large, practically unarmored ship that will break apart possibly before getting there nevermind while being shot at, that has an unreasonably powerful armament and speed too fast for it's own good. The only remotely nice part of it is the Captain's Quarters which would look like a run down janitor's room in a maintenance tunnel if not for the fact it's one of a handful of places that at least has a light bulb and a nice bed which is an improvement.

Your story (potential topics listed below)
    Men milled about through the streets, carrying rifles while their leader shouted them in line. Just beyond was a U.S. embassy, it's concrete walls partially demolished by explosives and artillery. Every now and then there would be a sudden burst of gunfires from the windows as the handful of Colonial Marines inside kept anyone from approaching too close. They'd been surrounded by CLF for 4 days now, and had no backup in sight. It was to their great relief they were informed that a ship, the USS Almeyer, would be arriving under the command of Captain Hawkins. It was to much less relief they discovered that the nearest space port had been captured, and that the only force that would be arriving would be two dropships of men who'd have to slog through the city to get to their position. The landing of the dropships were not unopposed but there was a lack of millitary grade ground to air missiles for the CLF. As soon as men started leaving they began taking fire, before the rebels realized that dropships are also fully capable of close air support. This, in the hands of a better commander, could've been decisive. The CLF had left better defended positions within the city, and both dropships were equipped with rocket pods. Hawkins was not one of those better commanders. He ordered one of the dropships to stay on the ground for wounded to be brought to, and the other one to fly high to avoid enemy groundfire without considering that rebels would be unlikely to have weapons capable of downing such an aircraft effectively. This led to a lack of air support, and what there was suffered from being at high altitude leading to inaccuracy. Despite this, the marines did still manage to push the CLF back into the city, at which point a new issue became apparent. Actually getting to the Embassy through the city. An orbital bombardment was out of the question, as it'd lead to too many civilian casualties. CAS was risky for the same reason, but would help. Marines pushing would have to deal with all the troubles of urban warfare. Ambushes, landmines, enemies that peak out for just a moment through a window and take a potshot. Hawkins skipped all of this in what can only be described as an intensely stupid decision. He had both dropships go to the Embassy and evacuate the men there. The dropships are not very vulnerable traditionally, however when landing they're practically stationary and can be easily let up with small arms or explosives. Before they even touched down one of the PO's had requested to pull back immediately as a result of heavy fire. This was denied, and shortly afterwards one was grounded from engine damage although the other did escape with most of the men in the embassy aboard. With little to no garrison left in the Embassy, the CLF quickly overran it and killed the pliot officer in a short gun battle. Knowing that the dropship shouldn't fall into enemy hands, Hawkins ordered an OB on the embassy. While yes, it did destroy the dropship and the CLF trying to take it, it also took out nearby buildings and something close to 100 civilians were killed or injured in the ensuing blast. The marines then had to hold for about 3 hours as the other dropship had to be repaired, then make multiple runs to pick them all up. Shortly after this Hawkins was commended for excellent command of the battle, all civilian casualties attributed to CLF revenge killings, the failure of the other dropship pinned on a design fault in the engines and most certainly not being shot to hell and back, and the PO awarded a medal of exceptional heroism posthomously. Privately, the sector provost marshall ordered an investigation and came to the conclusion that the Captain had recklessly endangered the lives of civilians in the area and recommended demotion. It is by sheer luck that the message was never sent, as the PM in the sector had a stroke while making a fine crab rangoon and burnt down most of his office with himself dying. Thus, all accounts of the battle except those by DIRTY FILTHY CLF SCUM WHO CAN NOT BE TRUSTED which most definitely includes some retired marines who were surely turned by the CLF, consider it an excellently planned success.

How experienced are you with the position of a Squad Leader (SL)?
    I go delta and charlie SL a bit, but it was never one of my main roles. I'll still take SL sometimes if it's available after roundstart.

How experienced are you with the position of a Staff Officer (SO)?
    Reasonably, I've played it a bit but I typically preferred to play XO.

How experienced are you with the position of a Department Head?
    I've actually played quite a lot of CMP, and a little bit of RO. Not much if any CMO or CMP though.

How experienced are you with the position of the Executive Officer (XO)?
    This is the one I've played to most, and I have a good amount of experience on it. I've commanded on every map multiple times, and have the basic strategy down for each.

How familiar are you with Marine Law and Standard Operating Procedure (SOP)?
    Very, I typically play command and a lot of CMP as well.

When do you believe a Battlefield Execution should be used? List some examples of scenarios in which a battlefield execution would be correctly used.
    The battlefield execution should be used when a person poses a genuine threat to order or operation of the ship/operation and that can't be handled by the MPs. You shouldn't BE someone just because they're on the ship and it'd be valid to BE them, you should only do that if the MPs can't handle them in time. A good example would be:
    SL who threatened mutiny and made death threats is outside CIC calling for backup. The MPs may not be able to respond in time, so this would be a reasonable situation in which to BE the SL. Another example would be the CL trying to recruit PMCs or make illicit dealings with the marines, after being warned explicitly not to. If MPs can't/won't handle it (they've been bought off, there's no MPs, the CL is continuing to recruit PMCs to protect him from arrest) then it would be valid to BE him. Final example is a pretty basic one, some idiot threatens to kill the CO or attacks them while they're deployed. If it's only a threat you should warn them to back down, but if they actually attack your or try to rile up marines to mutiny it'd be valid to BE them.

Under what circumstances do you believe it is legal to pardon a prisoner? What are some examples of crimes you would pardon, and those you would not?
    The captain must know the crimes committed, and roughly when they were committed. The pardon must also be announced. Besides that, the captain has the complete right to pardon any criminal of a minor or major crime at their discretion. This can be appealed by the MPs, and you're partially responsible for any actions the pardoned take after being pardoned. High command decisions are final, and can overrule a pardon.
    As far as what I'd pardon, it'd depend on circumstance.
    MPs arresting a SG, SL, or spec for DASO before the first deployment is something i'd pretty much immediately pardon because it'd hurt the operation. I might pardon neglect of duty if that person is currently required for the operation, IE a PO got arrested for NOD but is our only PO. I would pretty much never pardon something like Assault with a deadly, or manslaughter. I could think of theoretical circumstances in which that would make sense, but those would be few and far between.

What is your routine after starting the round as either a Staff Officer or Executive Officer? Assume you joined round-start and are inside your quarters.
    As executive officer, immediately find out if we have a captain. If not, go get the command tablet. It's useful and means that an SO can use the console for announcements or I can make two announcements quickly if necessary. Find out how many SOs I have, and either have them report the numbers for each squad or check it myself. Get a battleplan for the map, inform the SOs, and announce a briefing time. Depending on population I might go help at requisitions. Hold briefing, dismiss, announce launch time & orders, and go set orders on squad consoles. If any squad is missing an SL, assign an aSL.

How would you handle insubordinate departments? State what you would do for each department if they were insubordinate.
    If a department is refusing to do their job, it would depend on the circumstance. If they're actively refusing and not just incompetent, then have everyone who refuses arrested for NOD. No exceptions. Just because a marine made you angry does not mean you don't have to treat his broken lungs as he dies in surgery. If it's a result of them being incapable of accomplishing the task, then try to fix that. By department it'd be:
    Medical: Comm the CMO, ask what's up, if they're deliberately refusing to do their job have them arrested for NOD and NJP'd on the condition they actually do their job.
    Engineering: Pretty much the same, comm over and ask, if it's deliberate then arrest for NOD. Engineering is less important than medical so it probably won't be NJP'd.
    Millitary Police: If someone is being insubordinate in the MPs without a good reason you're supposed to ahelp. MPs are bound to follow marine law, this includes the CO's orders. If there's an actual IC reason, then again probably NOD.

How would you handle an understaffed CIC? What if you and the XO are the only available CIC crew?
    I've had to do solo XO before so this is a slight improvement. Have the XO go to each squad, set an aSL, and give me a read out on their numbers. After that, get a battleplan, inform the XO of this, and announce a briefing time. The XO will set squad orders once briefing is done, while I'd hold the briefing. Once dismissed, announce orders and go back to CIC. XO will handle alpha and bravo, I'll handle charlie and delta. We'll both keep track of the squads and communicate with the SLs so things aren't completely pear shaped. If it gets exceptionally bad, I might leave the XO in CIC to go groundside and reorganize everyone.

What would you do if you were deployed and a marine told you they were going to desert the operation?
    Tell him he'll be BE'd if he does so. Encourage him to stay with the marine force, and that he can still do great things if he doesn't run away. If he tries to desert anyways, BE him. Desertion is a capital crime and there's probably no MPs groundside. If there is one they could arrest him, but other then that he's eating a BE.

Do you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

Do you understand you cannot advertise or promote this application on any platform, including Discord?
    Yes

Do you also understand that you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, checking the bans, past application and the answers, I'll going to ask a couple.
    I hope the answers of the questions are good enough, as my mind is already swinging to -1 due to confusing story plots and its length.

- As one that was absent for a couple months and checking your last WL application, I'd want to see the evidence you have actually tried to improve yourself.
    Please tell your total playtime on the record as the XO. Admins/Moderators on the game will tell you if you Ahelp in-game.

- Tell us how and why your commander had to get on that crappy ship instead of other, better ones.

- Question on the BE.
    While squads are mostly in the line, Delta SL and their entire squad begins to rush to the Xenomorphs. Any hail orders are getting ignored, also they return to their post only when they're dead.
    This behavior begins to spread on the other squads. Alpha and Charlie begins to follow up instead of barricading the flank/front line.
    Even if you question what the hell they're doing, the Delta don't answer at all.
    On your CIC, there's only 2 SO and they're already assigned on handling 2 squads each. In this situation, what are you going to do?

- Battle was mostly failure, now all you have is the FOB.
    Most of the Squad engineers has died, the FOB is slowly crumpling down while on the siege bit by bit due to lack of maintenance.
    Checking the crew manifest, you noticed there's only one CE on board. But when you ordered the CE, they refused to follow your orders as the FOB is dangerous right now.
    In this case of scenario, what are you going to do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - Tell us how and why your commander had to get on that crappy ship instead of other, better ones.

I'm assuming that it's a requirement for Captain's to have their own ship. Stuff like this in the past has lead to some reallllllllly crappy weapons getting used. A good example is some of the belgian copies of the Montengrin Revolvers.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tID2i-BPJvI
    Video on them here by C&Rsenal. People were legally required to have them, and not everyone could afford a nicely made one. This lead to incredibly crappy pistols getting bought by guys who had to have a pistol but might never use them. Some of these things would break apart from firing, had sights that weren't aligned, etc. They were complete garbage, but they were required. As far as how a captain would end up with a ship like that, i'm guessing the same thing. They were required to own a ship. It did not specify it had to be a good ship. This captain could not afford much, so they bought just about the cheapest piece of junk, had it repaired to working condition, and then promptly spent all their time on the Almeyer instead. Things like the crappy thrown out guns were probably put on to meet the minimum armament requirement, etc etc. It's not something they want to have, it's something they were legally required to have.

"While squads are mostly in the line, Delta SL and their entire squad begins to rush to the Xenomorphs. Any hail orders are getting ignored, also they return to their post only when they're dead.
    This behavior begins to spread on the other squads. Alpha and Charlie begins to follow up instead of barricading the flank/front line.
    Even if you question what the hell they're doing, the Delta don't answer at all.
    On your CIC, there's only 2 SO and they're already assigned on handling 2 squads each. In this situation, what are you going to do?"

Well you can ahelp the SL for one. Metarushing xenos and ignoring commands plan is a shitter thing to do. Make an effort to announce it, ask them to stop, etc etc. Eventually threaten to come down and sort it out yourself. Once you're on the ground, ask the SLs in person what they're doing and why they're not following orders. If they CONTINUE to refuse then it's proper time for a BE, but only after you gave them multiple chances via announcements, comms, and in person to start following orders again.

Most of the Squad engineers has died, the FOB is slowly crumpling down while on the siege bit by bit due to lack of maintenance.
    Checking the crew manifest, you noticed there's only one CE on board. But when you ordered the CE, they refused to follow your orders as the FOB is dangerous right now.

Well first, ask if there are any MTs or OTs that want to deploy to fix it. It's easier to just sidestep the problem then deal with the CE not wanting to go down. If there's none, no engineers, etc then explicitly warn him over the radio that if he doesn't go down he will be BE'd. Now, I wouldn't have actual intent to BE him while he's on the ship and we have MPs. They can just arrest him for insub/desertion. But the threat of being BE'd would be more likely to get him to actually go down if he thinks the alternative is being killed. If he still refuses, then have the MPs arrest him. If there's no MPs, then go to him in person and ask again. Should he still refuse, then it's probably best to still arrest him because he doesn't pose a threat to the operation. You could BE him there but it's better to just take him into custody. In this scenario, he poses 0 threat to the actual men on the ground and killing him would serve no purpose.

as far as XO times, the stat tracking broke a while back so I have to go ask Neth. When I get a response I'll post it.
    Last edited by bardinatavern; 08-11-2020 at 06:54 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well unfortunate to say, there is one very clear answer that got wrong out of everything else.
    Please read the SoP/Marine law once more again and find out what part has gone wrong.
    I'm deeply sorry to say, but I have to give the -1.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's the CE deploying, that has a specific exception under SOP
    "Department heads are not allowed to deploy to the AO, with the exception of the CMP and CE."
    this is further addressed by
    "The CE is allowed to deploy to the FOB if there’s an XO on board, and they require permission from the Commander. They may deploy with the purpose of building the FOB, securing Tcomms, etc. and must leave should it fall under siege."
    The question made it seem like it was being occasionally spit at/acided by drones. If it's a full FOB siege with the mainxeno force then the CE shouldn't deploy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then you may now quite certain why I should have the -1 on the app.

Quite clearly, you haven't read it careful enough before leaving the answer.
    Not only that CE question, but there are other multiple areas that isn't just right to begin with.
    I'll leave that to the other peoples to speak out. For me, it remains on -1.
    Please use the whitelist app help channel on the discord often, everyone is willing to help and double check the flaws from your app.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was at 11 hours before stat tracking broke, but that was something like 4+ months ago. I had the same ammount of hours when I made my original CO app according to my stats. Been about half a year of playing since then.

After some clarification in #whitelist-app-help the ship in the question about the CO's own ship is supposed to be what they were previously assigned to before the Almeyer with the lore being that they're temporarily filling in for the Almeyer's captain, and I can't edit the application anymore so I'll put a new one below
    "The USS Issaquah is an Attack Transport currently undergoing repairs. Extremely heavily armed for a ship of it's class, the USS Issaquah sacrifices armor and mobility for high amounts of firepower and large transport capacity. It has 4 Rheinmetall RH-80 autoloading railguns connected to a central guidance computer. In addition, it has 14 12 Mark 33 ASAT-LS launch tubes for conventional missile strikes, and a single "Peacemaker" P-180 missile launcher for tactical strikes on ground targets. Defensively, the RH-80s can be controlled by the computer to automatically destroy any approaching debris or craft. In addition to this, 5 Marmon-Herrington Mark 7 Point Defence lasers are used to destroy incoming missiles although they have a reputation for unreliability. For armor, it's protected by an average of 3 meters of reactive hull armor which is poor for its size and weight. This is comparable to the Arikara classes 2 meter average which puts it only just above patrol ships. For carrying capacity, it can hold up to 4 AUD-25 dropships, 4 M577 APCs, 3 M22A3 Jackson Medium Tanks, and 2 squadrons of ST-68 "Atlatl" fighters which while outdated still perform well. In addition, it can hold up to 200 marines and 40 support/command personnel for transport letting it effectively deploy a company to combat. It's FTL engine is shared with the Arikara class, a Thiokol-Rockwell Dynamic Cygnus 7 capable of pushing it at a more modest 1.1 lightyears per day with afterburners. It's regular engines are two Merlin AFSE-100 engines driven by a fusion reactor, which is insufficient for it's size and weight making it very sluggish in sublight travel. Crew accomodations include a small pool, recreational areas, cafeteria, a small theater with projector and VHS tapes with new ones available by order, and a small pet center. The Issaquah was initially designed for the Eta Bootis campaign, which it owes it's extreme level of firepower to. However, in the conditions present at Tienstin and other battlefields, it likely would've suffered extreme damage as a result of it's poor speed and poor armor for it's size. It wasn't built in time before peace talks had wrapped up, and has now been relegated to patrol duties in areas that are undergoing civil unrest. In such areas, enemy forces are less likely to have weapons capable of downing a space craft which puts it in less danger while letting it leverage it's heavy firepower more easily."
    Last edited by bardinatavern; 08-11-2020 at 08:54 AM.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey man, I know you're a gamer already, so I just wanna ask you a question or two before I give you a +1.

Do you plan to do non-meta strategies as captain, and force them through even if the marines bitch and moan about it?

What type of briefing do you like to give? CIC with SLs only, hangar, other spots, etc, and why?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done 12:15 drops with charlie alpha on DS2 alpha bravo on DS1 before. Even if marines don't think they'll like it, as long as it's a solid strat it can still be a lot of fun. The key thing is making sure the SLs/aSLs are all on board with it. If the SLs cryo because they think your plan is dumb you'll end up doing more harm then good and even a decent plan can become extremely unfun. If the marines don't want to do it and all the SLs don't want to do it, I wouldn't go through with the plan because they probably won't be having fun. The strat might be solid, and there's a chance they all might end up loving it, but there's IMO an unacceptably high chance of ruining a bunch of players round so I can force a non-meta strat. I can always try again later with different players, better to do that then ruin their round.

This is a really boring answer but briefing. Most of the marines show up, and I normally won't have to bug all the SLs to show up. The only issue is normally getting all of CIC to show up too. I've done hangar briefs before but I find that the more people that are at the briefing the better, and just doing it at briefing maximizes how many marines know their orders. Really boring answer, but I prefer briefing in briefing over the others.
    Last edited by bardinatavern; 08-11-2020 at 08:48 PM.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I encourage you to always try to do stuff outside of the meta, it's boring seeing captains doing copy+paste plans and not doing anything interesting during the round.

I do suggest you work on your grammar just a bit, you seem to make typos/errors sometimes, and you wanna avoid that when possible as captain

+1 from me though, hope you get it.