User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DeepDishPizza - Commanding Officer Application

Whitelisted Captain ScreamingIdiot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've got some decent community support and I can attest to your competence as XO.

However, as others have stated here I'm also wondering if you have the raw experience necessary to make a good CO rather than just being an XO+. So, I'd like for you to answer some questions here that fall under the purview of a CO and all the responsibilities and nuances that entails.

1. While deployed, you're made aware through comms that the CMP intends to arrest one of your SOs for unknown reasons. Once you're back on the Almayer, you're informed that the SO is being arrested for Insubordination and Assault for threatening an MP while they were manning the Overwatch console. The only witness is the aforementioned MP and the CMP, the SO denies any misdoings. This arrest is taking place during a crucial time during the operation as marines are short on materials, ammo, and orders, and the accused SO is the only subordinate you have currently manning Overwatch besides the XO. What do you do?

2. During the middle of an operation while manning CIC, you're informed that a Chemical Investigation ERT will soon arrive on the USS Almayer. The CE mistakenly believes the shuttle bears hostile UPP boarders, and soon enough the CMP gives out the order for the ship to enter Code Red and for shipside personnel to eliminate the ERT as soon as they arrive. The PMCs proceed to Research and immediately close the shutters, locking themselves in and starting a standoff with the MP force and a handful of PFCs. What do you do?

3. You've been overseeing the operation for close to an hour and a half from CIC. Marines have been pushed back to the FOB and are holding, barely. The tank is intact but missing one of its crewmembers, DEFCON is progressing very slowly, Req's budget is nearly dry, the last OB is chambered but on cooldown, and all but one Intelligence Officer is MIA. You have a full staff at CIC including a Synth working shipside. What do you do?

Commodore Lorenzo Fiore / Sergeant Callisto Fiore / Synthetic Gary
    __________________________________________________ ______________
    4th Division, 4th Brigade, 4th Aerospace Division, 1st Colonial Support Group
    THE FALLING FALCONS
    USS ALMAYER

Part of the CO council. PM me for any and all CO related needs and I'll help you along.

Senior Admin & Whitelist Overseer Fortelian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just noticed I didn't vote on this yet, I want to give a +1 but I need to know your marine law knowledge is reliable. Marine law is a beast and you must tame it.

1. An MP is arrested for desertion for deploying planetside, and the CMP had the XO announce his execution already. The MP seems new, but the CMP already has him in the execution chamber, with only a minute 'till his death. You've been awake the whole OP and in CIC. What do you do, if anything?

2. A nurse is arrested for NoD because she seemingly refused to auto doc an infected marine. She wants an appeal, what do you do? (Make sure you know the mechanics of this job)

3. The charlie SG is refusing to deploy because they are saying that the PO helped a marine steal their shoes, and they won't deploy with a criminal. The marines aren't doing super good, and are slowly falling back.

4. Jones is kidnapped by an MT, then there a threats to kill Jones. The MT has holed up in disposals. The MPs manage to finally get him, and the CMP orders his arrest for assault and illegal confinement. What do you do?

YOU MUST READ EVERY SECTION OF MARINE LAW RELEVANT TO THESE QUESTIONS VERY CLOSELY. If you want more context, just let me know.
    Salvador Kepplinger - President of Andorra
    LOV3 - The friendly Bean.
    Senior mentor

Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScreamingIdiot View Post
    You've got some decent community support and I can attest to your competence as XO.

However, as others have stated here I'm also wondering if you have the raw experience necessary to make a good CO rather than just being an XO+. So, I'd like for you to answer some questions here that fall under the purview of a CO and all the responsibilities and nuances that entails.

1. While deployed, you're made aware through comms that the CMP intends to arrest one of your SOs for unknown reasons. Once you're back on the Almayer, you're informed that the SO is being arrested for Insubordination and Assault for threatening an MP while they were manning the Overwatch console. The only witness is the aforementioned MP and the CMP, the SO denies any misdoings. This arrest is taking place during a crucial time during the operation as marines are short on materials, ammo, and orders, and the accused SO is the only subordinate you have currently manning Overwatch besides the XO. What do you do?

2. During the middle of an operation while manning CIC, you're informed that a Chemical Investigation ERT will soon arrive on the USS Almayer. The CE mistakenly believes the shuttle bears hostile UPP boarders, and soon enough the CMP gives out the order for the ship to enter Code Red and for shipside personnel to eliminate the ERT as soon as they arrive. The PMCs proceed to Research and immediately close the shutters, locking themselves in and starting a standoff with the MP force and a handful of PFCs. What do you do?

3. You've been overseeing the operation for close to an hour and a half from CIC. Marines have been pushed back to the FOB and are holding, barely. The tank is intact but missing one of its crewmembers, DEFCON is progressing very slowly, Req's budget is nearly dry, the last OB is chambered but on cooldown, and all but one Intelligence Officer is MIA. You have a full staff at CIC including a Synth working shipside. What do you do?
    1. I would partially clear the charges, the officer cannot be guilty of insub if he was actually doing his job at the overwatch console. However if the SO was threatening an MP in person or over the radio, then the assault charge can stay. I'll stay in CiC to help coordinate the resource shortage that's happening until the SO serves his sentence.

2. Well, the threat of a UPP boarding is already cleared since it's been established that PMCs have landed aboard the ship. I will inform the entire ship, especially the MPs and PFCs that the PMC squad is to not be harmed, and that theyve lawfully paid for the research they are taking with them as well as the personnel. After they calm down, I simply wait the PMC squad out since they want to leave the Almayer with research instead of camping in the research department roasting marshmallows. I reset the code to green, send the PFCs back down to the planet, and keep the MPs reasonably out of the way from the chemical squad until theyre finished.

3. I would announce the retreat. There's no real tactic that calls for any sort of counter offense unless the enemy kills themselves at the barricades. I'd announce to pack up any gear people can carry, load the wounded and dead back to the ship, radio the tank driver to board the dropship. I'd send the synth and a few SO's to oversee the retreat and I would announce the time for the dropship to depart from the FOB. In situations like this, it's important to recognize when to cut your losses and save as many people as you can on your way out. Not every operation has to be a death march in a do or die style.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortelian View Post
    Just noticed I didn't vote on this yet, I want to give a +1 but I need to know your marine law knowledge is reliable. Marine law is a beast and you must tame it.

1. An MP is arrested for desertion for deploying planetside, and the CMP had the XO announce his execution already. The MP seems new, but the CMP already has him in the execution chamber, with only a minute 'till his death. You've been awake the whole OP and in CIC. What do you do, if anything?

2. A nurse is arrested for NoD because she seemingly refused to auto doc an infected marine. She wants an appeal, what do you do? (Make sure you know the mechanics of this job)

3. The charlie SG is refusing to deploy because they are saying that the PO helped a marine steal their shoes, and they won't deploy with a criminal. The marines aren't doing super good, and are slowly falling back.

4. Jones is kidnapped by an MT, then there a threats to kill Jones. The MT has holed up in disposals. The MPs manage to finally get him, and the CMP orders his arrest for assault and illegal confinement. What do you do?

YOU MUST READ EVERY SECTION OF MARINE LAW RELEVANT TO THESE QUESTIONS VERY CLOSELY. If you want more context, just let me know.
    1. Ahelp the MP. Desertion is a capital crime, and it must be answered to. However I think any MP worth their weight in salt has read marine law, and if he's new then I would hope they're given a second chance to keep playing so long as they understand the rules better. I'll attend the execution at hand then resume my duties.

2. Well, the nurse cannot use an auto doc nor can the auto doc remove larva from an infected marine. The charges are cleared, and the MP is told this information.

3. I will insist the charlie SG deploys, shoes can be replaced effortlessly. If they still refuse they will be brigged for NoD. As for the PO and the marine I would give them an NJP and be done with it. Shoe stealing is just another form of harmless banter, and the fact that it's being made this big of a deal just makes me think they're a complete baby.

4. Follow through with the charges, Jones is held at the same status as the captain and thus the crime fits the bill. If the MT puts up a fight in order to actually follow through to kill Jones, then the crime of Attempted Murder would be added.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm.

While none of your answers were technically incorrect (besides the beginning of the 1st one), they all showed a nominal lack of experience, persistence, accountability, and a more complete understanding of your capabilities as a commanding officer and those of your subordinates.
    I'm unimpressed, frankly, so unless I see a significant amount of community support or a clear display you have the chops to make a great CO I'm going to keep my vote at -1.

THE FALLING FALCONS
    USS ALMAYER

Part of the CO council. PM me for any and all CO related needs and I'll help you along.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScreamingIdiot View Post
    Hmmm.

While none of your answers were technically incorrect (besides the beginning of the 1st one), they all showed a nominal lack of experience, persistence, accountability, and a more complete understanding of your capabilities as a commanding officer and those of your subordinates.
    I'm unimpressed, frankly, so unless I see a significant amount of community support or a clear display you have the chops to make a great CO I'm going to keep my vote at -1.
    Could you be more specific with what you think would be better answers? What would you have done in these situations?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While i really enjoyed having you in CIC, still feels like you need something extra. You need to review and understand ML BETTER. PLAY CMP/MP BUT NOT FOR MEMES, TO UNDERSTAND IT BETTER.
    You can still make it.

PLAY CMP - MP

KEEP GRINDING XO

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepDishPizza View Post
    Could you be more specific with what you think would be better answers? What would you have done in these situations?
    Sure.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepDishPizza View Post
    1. I would partially clear the charges, the officer cannot be guilty of insub if he was actually doing his job at the overwatch console. However if the SO was threatening an MP in person or over the radio, then the assault charge can stay. I'll stay in CiC to help coordinate the resource shortage that's happening until the SO serves his sentence.

2. Well, the threat of a UPP boarding is already cleared since it's been established that PMCs have landed aboard the ship. I will inform the entire ship, especially the MPs and PFCs that the PMC squad is to not be harmed, and that theyve lawfully paid for the research they are taking with them as well as the personnel. After they calm down, I simply wait the PMC squad out since they want to leave the Almayer with research instead of camping in the research department roasting marshmallows. I reset the code to green, send the PFCs back down to the planet, and keep the MPs reasonably out of the way from the chemical squad until theyre finished.

3. I would announce the retreat. There's no real tactic that calls for any sort of counter offense unless the enemy kills themselves at the barricades. I'd announce to pack up any gear people can carry, load the wounded and dead back to the ship, radio the tank driver to board the dropship. I'd send the synth and a few SO's to oversee the retreat and I would announce the time for the dropship to depart from the FOB. In situations like this, it's important to recognize when to cut your losses and save as many people as you can on your way out. Not every operation has to be a death march in a do or die style.
    1. Your first mistake was assuming the officer couldn't be charged with insub if he was manning the OW console. I'm not entirely sure if this was just poor wording but to clarify Insubordination constitutes any instance where someone fails to follow a lawful order from a superior person of rank or position or disrespecting someone of a higher rank or position that is not an officer, meaning that if the SO disrespected the CMP/MP at any time (even remotely or indirectly) they would have to be charged with insub. Your second mistake was not clarifying how you plan to determine if the charges were valid in the first place (since the SO denies committing insub), such as individually questioning the SO, MP, CMP, and any other witnesses to the crime in question. Finally, you did not plan to follow up on the SO's sentencing to make sure he would be fit to continue his duties as a commissioned officer due to the very clear conflict that has emerged between him and the MPs: for instance, if the SO orders the MPs to arrest a marine on the ship for insubordination against him, it is likely the MPs would either refuse due to their previous spat or try to circumvent his authority in some fashion and subsequently undermine him. To clarify, there were only a couple things objectively wrong with your answer, the rest only demonstrated a lack of initiative and foresight on how things might develop from the hypothetical situation. So even if your actions here wouldn't be considered Neglect of Duty or wholly incompetent, they are sub-optimal.

2. The primary issue here is assuming that the conflict between the PMCs and the shipside staff would be resolved by a single announcement, an optimistic gamble at best. Most likely this issue would require direct intervention on your part, likely with assistance by a majority of your command staff and the Corporate Liaison, which could eventually escalate into arresting and demoting the CMP and some of his subordinates for Sedition and/or Neglect of Duty for following unlawful orders. Furthermore, you would also likely have to properly inform and pacify whatever PFCs got caught up in the excitement as they are often very, very trigger-happy during tense shipside events like these. The rest of your answer is alright, though again it lacks any elaboration on contingencies and/or actions you would take to prevent the situation from further escalating out of control which may occur even after the PMCs have left the Almayer. Again, your answer demonstrates a lack of practical experience despite none of it being objectively incorrect, merely sub-optimal and naively optimistic.

3. This answer I found to be the most upsetting, despite the described strategy being entirely valid. By your own admission you would simply write off the operation without any attempt to re-organise your support staff to better assist the operation, as well as not even considering creatively utilising the resources at your disposal to revitalise DEFCON, Requisitions' budget, or groundside morale. To give a few examples, you could have sent the Synth and the CE to fix and man the tank so it would become fully operational again, recycled non-essential parts of the Almayer to resupply FOB materials and refill Req's budget, sent some of your SOs/XO to work on intel to bump up DEFCON, and/or personally intervene to make sure whatever needs doing gets done right. There are many other strategies and creative solutions you could've come up with here, and the scenario presented is certainly salvageable besides not even being all that dire compared to what regularly occurs on many actual rounds (CIC nearly empty, no Synth or CE, medbay nearly empty, no Req staff, lowpop blues, etc). In conclusion, your answer is again not technically wrong but speaks volumes of your lack of experience, initiative, confidence, and creativity as a commissioned officer, which is not something that you should be struggling with as a CO.

To echo myself and a lot of other feedback you've gotten, you need more experience to truly shine as CO. As is you'd make a decent XO+, but you certainly lack the chops to make a great CO.
    Last edited by ScreamingIdiot; 08-28-2020 at 06:13 PM.

THE FALLING FALCONS
    USS ALMAYER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1
    Ive never had anything but positive interactions with you. Ive seen you play and put solid effort into a multitude of roles from cl, to CiC staff, to squadmate and SL. In each of these roles showing the expected rp standards of the given role, and doing so while making it enjoyable for other players to interact with you. I think if you are added it will only serve to increase overall player satisfaction while at the same time adhering to the standards set fourth.

I think ive found that if you spend enough time here, you end up bumping heads with people eventually. Youre one of the rare exceptions where I have yet to hear of any player or staff say a negative thing about you. Its worth something.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gonna agree with scidiot here, I know I asked questions here earlier but I dont like how early you applied after just a few days of command from what I have seen