Byond ID?
    Kirshbia

Marine Name
    Braden "Aces" Stephenson

Other Whitelist Applications
    None this is my first one!

Name of the Synth Character you wish to play
    Aaron

Are you familiar with the Synthetic Programming and Guidelines?
    Indeed!

What are some scenarios that you can perform combat in? Give us a brief example.
    Scenarios in which I can perform combat should be limited to self-defense or defense of others, or if your own self is in danger of being damaged or destroyed by a threat. Combat should never be performed offensively and is limited towards melee weapons.

Synthetic Character Story
    So, this will be long. I do not use google docs so much if I mess up yell at me. I'll put in the full story.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

What is your Synth�s quirk and personality?
    Aaron's initial purpose was that of a hospice caretaker. To which he always appears warm and friendly at least appearing to show compassion to the wounded or terminally ill. Though due to the company itself going bankrupt he was repurposed to fit the USMC/Colony's needs he has moments where he takes a colder more robotic tone. Those moments within itself doesn't effect his performance so it's mostly been left unattended.

The short version is he always tries to be warm and comforting as he can towards the staff. Sometimes, its' unwarranted and a little awkward. I am hoping those situation make people smile and have a good laugh.

How familiar are you with Engineering?
    Little OT experience, I am talented enough engineer that I can get by with just about everything except for making like max caps, or other high end explosives. I'm not inclined to do much of that but for FOB repairs, building, Tcomms, helping intel with broken APCS, I got that fine.

How familiar are you with Command?
    I understand command roles fairly well. I'm not a Captain, but I have XO experience, been ACO, and done overwatch as a lieutenant. I know how to run a CIC and how to run squads as well as commuciate the situation effectively. For ground roles, I do SL a bit and while I stick to a gimmick mostly for roleplay. I do know how to steer the ungas to objective complete as well as assess the ground situation on the fly as needed.

How familiar are you with Medical?
    Very, while most people may be familiar with me goofing off in research. I spent about a month in medbay doing various roles until I felt comfortable enough that I could support when we were low on the shipside doctor roles. I can mix your chems, fix your bones, do your cyrojuice, run your vials. I wouldn't say it's a like a second nature to me exactly but I am very capable of fulfilling any real role in medbay.

How familiar are you with Requisitions?
    Been CT and RO, I like to think that I do a good job at it. I'm sure someone out there could have some feedback but it's role isn't difficult from concept to execution, I am able do anything there if needed.

Why do you want to be a synthetic/why should we whitelist you?
    Honestly? I've received feedback from other synthic players who I regularly roleplay with that the roleplay experience as a synth can be amazing. So, I was debating if I wanted to do a predator and a synth. I heard more about synths and I honestly want to give it a chance. I think I am comptent enough roleplayer that I can add into peoples stories for the round and we can all have some fun.

I want to be able to embrace a more roleplay heavy role and I hope I get the chance to do so.

Have you been banned from CM in the last month for any reason? Do you have any active jobbans?
    Nope, and none.

Are you currently banned from our Discord, and if so, why?
    Negative

Do you have anything else you would like to include about your application?
    Sure! Thanks for reading people. Again here if you have feedback for me? Just give me a holler. I am happy to hear it.

Again here. I am doing for the challenge and to have some more fun with you guys. I really hope you enjoy the story and yeah have a great day.

Do you understand that any player - donor or otherwise - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our rules or the Synthetic Programming Guideline?
    Yes

Do you understand that you cannot advertise your application on any platform for votes. Do you also understand you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey there, regarding your quirk and personality.

You wrote "he has moments where he takes a colder more robotic tone.", while earlier and later writting "he always tries to be warm and comforting as he can towards the staff." Why does he take a colder and more robotic tone? Is that due to an error in his programming? Since you later wrote: "Those moments within itself doesn't effect his performance so it's mostly been left unattended. "

Whitelisted Captain
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xywenx View Post
    Hey there, regarding your quirk and personality.

You wrote "he has moments where he takes a colder more robotic tone.", while earlier and later writting "he always tries to be warm and comforting as he can towards the staff." Why does he take a colder and more robotic tone? Is that due to an error in his programming? Since you later wrote: "Those moments within itself doesn't effect his performance so it's mostly been left unattended. "
    Howdy, thanks for the reply!

I would argue more of a quirk than an error. In my head cannon Aaron is programmed to somewhere between supportive and smothering. But due to the conditions he works in he's not exactly always able to gauge the proper reaction so he goes to factory default.

I'm hoping for the people who want an rp experience from him can enjoy a bit of cognitive dissonance from a machine that's suppose to be an entity of programmed compassion but while still showing signs that its not real.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can make the factory default feel seamless, not like a quick jump from quirk to default as if the synth is experiencing an error, more like a slow change in character as the calculations in the synths processor can't find a result, then that quirk would be amazingly good, but it's still good as it is. Honestly even if it's a quick change in character, if you can pull it off well in RP, then it's a good quirk. It kind of makes me think of the way David responded to Walter in Covenant, when Walter told him that the Ozymandias poem wasn't writte by Lord Byron (which David thought), but rather by Shelley. You could recognize the cognitive dissonance through David's face. I will probably read your backstory tomorrow and give you my opinion on it and wether it deserves a +1 or -1. All the other answers seem fine so far.

-Synth Council Member, unfortunately do not have the forum group change yet.

Whitelisted Captain
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xywenx View Post
    If you can make the factory default feel seamless, not like a quick jump from quirk to default as if the synth is experiencing an error, more like a slow change in character as the calculations in the synths processor can't find a result, then that quirk would be amazingly good, but it's still good as it is. Honestly even if it's a quick change in character, if you can pull it off well in RP, then it's a good quirk. It kind of makes me think of the way David responded to Walter in Covenant, when Walter told him that the Ozymandias poem wasn't writte by Lord Byron (which David thought), but rather by Shelley. You could recognize the cognitive dissonance through David's face. I will probably read your backstory tomorrow and give you my opinion on it and wether it deserves a +1 or -1. All the other answers seem fine so far.

-Synth Council Member, unfortunately do not have the forum group change yet.
    Hey, I appreciate the input and I hope you enjoy the back story. You got the idea of what I'm going for with that. What I am hoping for is something subtle, given how rounds go on cm I'm unsure if I can always hit that but new challenges are exciting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey there, thanks for applying

I just have a couple of questions for the sake of clarifying some things in regards to a couple of your answers.

What are some scenarios that you can perform combat in? Give us a brief example.
    Scenarios in which I can perform combat should be limited to self-defense or defense of others, or if your own self is in danger of being damaged or destroyed by a threat. Combat should never be performed offensively and is limited towards melee weapons.
    1: If you for some reason find yourself on the front lines where the enemy and marines are fighting, what should your priorities be?

2: If you see a Marine get jumped by a lurker and a runner, what would you do?

What is your Synth�s quirk and personality?
    Aaron's initial purpose was that of a hospice caretaker. To which he always appears warm and friendly at least appearing to show compassion to the wounded or terminally ill. Though due to the company itself going bankrupt he was repurposed to fit the USMC/Colony's needs he has moments where he takes a colder more robotic tone. Those moments within itself doesn't effect his performance so it's mostly been left unattended.

The short version is he always tries to be warm and comforting as he can towards the staff. Sometimes, its' unwarranted and a little awkward. I am hoping those situation make people smile and have a good laugh.
    In short, what would you say this quirk actually is? That the unit is always comforting, regardless of situation?

Whitelisted Captain
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Driker View Post
    Hey there, thanks for applying

I just have a couple of questions for the sake of clarifying some things in regards to a couple of your answers.

1: If you for some reason find yourself on the front lines where the enemy and marines are fighting, what should your priorities be?

2: If you see a Marine get jumped by a lurker and a runner, what would you do?

In short, what would you say this quirk actually is? That the unit is always comforting, regardless of situation?
    Hi thank you for the reply!

To answer i'll do the second one first. His quirk at it's base level is programmed compassion. It's not genuine, it can never be genuine, and a lot of the times most shouldn't notice the difference. But I DO want to at times want to be subtle about it's nature. The whole really uncaring machine bit just going through the motions. So yes, he will usually always comforting no matter the situation but there is a bit of nuance there that I kinda excites me as a roleplayer to play with.

TO THY OTHER OTHERS

1. That's a fair question, realistically speaking there multiple ways to go about that. But I could see myself pulling back down marines who fell past the cade lines. Helping maintain and repair defenses, or helping the medics all depending on the load-out I have with me. I can picture there's multiple ways to support so a hard answer isn't really possible but I would try to help out in an area that's lacking and go from there.

2. I would call for help. While the guidelines do seem to allow for some combat the rescue of the marine would take priority, and even if I could fight freely I would still be outgunned. The general idea would be the gunfire from the marines would push the rooner and lurkers back while I attempt to pull the marine back for those sweet, sweet, heals. Communication usually is key and I honestly am not the type of person to find myself on my own very often. While, I suppose, in the situation of the recovery of the USMC personnel and the defense of my person I would be allowed to engage I don't think a single roboboi with a baton/fireaxe/whatever is going to chase off two ambush type Xenos.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Story is solid, the way you wrote the synthetic dialogue makes it seem like you'll know how to roleplay well. Got a chuckle out of me towards the beginning, for obvious reasons.

+1, I know you're a good player and should be cool as a synth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, I've read the story now, it has a great use of vocabulary (which is important for roleplay as a synth), and it was pretty lively. Now, personally I don't think it's anything extraordinary (doesn't mean that it's bad, my own story wasn't anything extraordinary either). There are alot of grammatical errors or things you just wouldn't write that way (like writting properly three times in a row). I also didn't really feel the "factory standart" *that much* in your story unfortunately; though there were some parts where you could suspect it.

Edit: I'll ask some more questions until I'll decide on a verdict either +1 or -1.
    Last edited by Xywenx; 08-17-2020 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Neutral verdict is not allowed

Whitelisted Captain
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, thanks for the input you two. I appreciate the kind words and the feedback.

Frankly, I'm glad you caught the undertones. I don't really roleplay roles that broadcast my x. My normal preference is a bit of a longer burn.